Some Neighbors Unhappy About Methadon...

Some Neighbors Unhappy About Methadone Clinic Approval - NewsCh...

There are 79 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Oct 21, 2009, titled Some Neighbors Unhappy About Methadone Clinic Approval - NewsCh.... In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

Plans for a methadone clinic in one of the busiest shopping centers on James Campbell Boulevard in Columbia is being met with mixed reviews.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

Columbia Observer

Spring Hill, TN

#26 Jul 2, 2010
The Future.
Obviously one who does not stick to facts. I did not support Obama. I am happy to be one who can tell people I did not support the lies, and promises. Of course, campaign promises are made to be broken, but more than half the people could not read between the lines.
Back to the topic.
But how can you say that he OR the "GOVERNMENT" had anything to do with putting a clinic in the mall?? Huh? YOU are the govennment, the people.

Just because you are miffed with the current admin,(as I am) as many can understand, you fail to see how this site was selected.
The "clinic" needed a place. Empty space in the mall, End of story. No gov't consipiracies like that in this case.

We don't need the clinic here at leat where it is proposed.

Now, Mr. Future, if you want to complain about what the cronies in DC are doing, I will support you 100%. But because something gets rammed down our throats like so called health care, that is a different matter. It has nothing to do with Columbia, or a clinic that wants to set up shop here.
If you really wanted to oppose, instead of giving in and complaining, get out and organize a protest about the clinic. Do something other than to ridicule those here who want to voice their opposition.
citizen in maury

Columbia, TN

#27 Jul 8, 2010
Leslie wrote:
I am..really saddened by the completely stupidity shown in these comments.
I have only seen..maybe two, that have correctly depicted Methadone patients. They are people who are bettering their lives. Yes, Methadone is an addictive substance, just like the substances the patients are coming to the clinics to get off of, however, being a Methadone patient is not an issue of junkiedom, it is an issue of recovery.
Hi. My name is Leslie. I am a 23 year old female from Nashville, Tennessee. I lived in West Nashville all of my life. I graduated from Hillwood High School. I went to West Nashville Heights, Church of Christ on Charlotte Pike my whole life. My Grandfather was a deacon at West Nashville Baptist. My mother works for American General.
I am a Methadone patient.
all addicts have family, most have family they can be proud of. most addicts come from average families, just like you. methadone is addictive. very addictive. i know about addicts, they exist within my family. it is typical for an addict to deny his addiction. especially if they are feeding it through a clinic. addition is addiction. whatever the reason, the effects are the same. it only takes a matter of days to develope an addiction, the biggest sympton is denial and justification....most often it is "pain" it is a no win situtaion, without the drug your in pain, take the drug, no pain, withdrawal=new kind of both physical and emotional pain. withdrawal actually PRODUCES pain that is worse that the pain the drug was intended to relieve. i hope you get clean soon.
disgusted

Spring Hill, TN

#28 Jul 8, 2010
You all can blame the biggest part of the city council for this meth clinic. One of your coucil persons tried to fight it, but the rest were just push overs. The city did not have an ordinance in place to keep it out.
i agree

Columbia, TN

#29 Jul 8, 2010
disgusted wrote:
You all can blame the biggest part of the city council for this meth clinic. One of your coucil persons tried to fight it, but the rest were just push overs. The city did not have an ordinance in place to keep it out.
our city government is not qualified to make good business decisions. this town is going to the dogs. its awful here. i want to move.
Voice of the Addicts

United States

#30 Jul 16, 2010
First of all, this forum is not a political debate. You want to debate politics call Glenn Beck. This forum is intended to speak out either for or against the methadone clinic being placed in a mall.

People please do some research before you start speaking about things that, one, you are completely uneducated about, and two, base their idea of an addict on what they see on tv or in movies. Addiction is not something that just happens. It is thought to be predeternined b4 birth and linked to genetics, meaning that although not all people who are genetically predisposed to become an addict will, all addicts are genetically predisposed. Let me ask all you people who view addicts as lower parts of society a question...Would you consider a diabetic an addict? Of course not. Addicts are similar to diabetics in the aspect that they have to take medicine to keep stability in their life. Diabetics take insulin. Addicts take methadone. Honestly there's no difference in concept and principle.

As far as a methadone clinic being opened in a mall, I understand why you wouldn't want it there, but at the same time there is no danger to anyone caused by the clinic being there, at least not anymore than when you go out to downtown or walk the streets. I agree that the community should have a voice in the matter just as they should in any and all events that have to do with your local town. I say put it to a vote and let the people that the decision will effect make the choice.

In closing I would like to say that I myself was once an addict and also a patient in a treatment center. I am healthcare professional and soon to be a licensed practicing doctor of neuro-psychology and have done extensive research on addiction and the disease concept, and people, you have to realize that an addict is just like anyone else. They come from all walks of life from a fast food employee to a CEOs of corporate business. They are even police officers and judges. They deserve respect and to be treated with kindness just as anyone else. I know this alot to read and I thank you for taking for the time to read it. Hopefully I've helped open someones eyes to the myth of addiction and the fact that it's a disease just like any other and deserves to be treated as such. Thanks again for your time.

Sincerely
The Voice of the Addicts
like i said

Columbia, TN

#31 Jul 18, 2010
sorry, but you sound like a typical addict. meth clinics will do nothing except draw more addicts to the area. want treatment? GO TO A REHAB AND YOU PAY FOR IT! i have seen meth and "pain" clinics in small towns and the results. doctors like you, prescribe the "pain" meds that produce the addict. now you want meth clinic to treat the addict. money, money, money! nothing more than a cover to sell oxycodon. thousands go to florida every month, shell out a grand and return with scripts for hundreds of oxycodon that go for 40-80 dollars each. how do i know this? i have a family member, he is very "familiar" with meth and pain clinics and has been for MANY years. now IF meth clinics were effective, surely he would have been "cured" by now. they are drug houses for most. legal ones. and the person, or pusher as i have heard them called, is the DOCTOR! it is a BIG money industry. i do blame the out of control doctors, who write these scripts again and again. the clinics are a way to legally keep it going.would you take a loaded gun away from someone whos suicidal,then cure his desire to die by giving him a different calipher or type of gun? doesnt make sense does it. you good doctors who addict people, should be in jail. they have no clue, 15 days on some drugs,(loritab, oxycodon) prescribed by their doctor, and poof! an addict is born. rarely..i repeat rarely...do they truely stop. and, if you are being honest, you are not a doctor. after being treated for addiction, you would not be allowed to prescribe drugs.

Since: Jul 10

Detroit, MI

#32 Jul 19, 2010
Dude methadone will totally get you high and is completely addictive. I've tried it recreationaly and it tore me up. Yes there will be junkies in and out of there all day and neighborhood will ddcline bet on that.
Local

Columbia, TN

#33 Jul 19, 2010
Methadone clinics are ridiculous. I get the concept..they want to help addicts, but what good is trading one addiction for another? My husband died 5 years ago due to misuse of methadone. I realize these clinics are to treat addicts and prevent the misuse of methadone, but an addict will find a way. My husband was NOT a patient of any clinic..he was just an avid pill seeker. He had never taken methadone..one of his "friends" was a patient of the local clinic. She found a way to get out "extra" methadone or steal them..either way she gave it to him. She only managed to get out 11 40mg pills a.k.a "wafers". He took all 11 and died in his sleep. Autopsy showed he nothing else in his system. Methadone is a drug..a very deadly drug. An addict will find a way to misuse anything..
I don't want to hear the BS that it doesn't mess you up or "intoxicate you"..it does. F these clinics. I hope they all get shut down.
Local

Columbia, TN

#34 Jul 19, 2010
Voice of the Addicts wrote:
First of all, this forum is not a political debate. You want to debate politics call Glenn Beck. This forum is intended to speak out either for or against the methadone clinic being placed in a mall.
People please do some research before you start speaking about things that, one, you are completely uneducated about, and two, base their idea of an addict on what they see on tv or in movies. Addiction is not something that just happens. It is thought to be predeternined b4 birth and linked to genetics, meaning that although not all people who are genetically predisposed to become an addict will, all addicts are genetically predisposed. Let me ask all you people who view addicts as lower parts of society a question...Would you consider a diabetic an addict? Of course not. Addicts are similar to diabetics in the aspect that they have to take medicine to keep stability in their life. Diabetics take insulin. Addicts take methadone. Honestly there's no difference in concept and principle.
As far as a methadone clinic being opened in a mall, I understand why you wouldn't want it there, but at the same time there is no danger to anyone caused by the clinic being there, at least not anymore than when you go out to downtown or walk the streets. I agree that the community should have a voice in the matter just as they should in any and all events that have to do with your local town. I say put it to a vote and let the people that the decision will effect make the choice.
In closing I would like to say that I myself was once an addict and also a patient in a treatment center. I am healthcare professional and soon to be a licensed practicing doctor of neuro-psychology and have done extensive research on addiction and the disease concept, and people, you have to realize that an addict is just like anyone else. They come from all walks of life from a fast food employee to a CEOs of corporate business. They are even police officers and judges. They deserve respect and to be treated with kindness just as anyone else. I know this alot to read and I thank you for taking for the time to read it. Hopefully I've helped open someones eyes to the myth of addiction and the fact that it's a disease just like any other and deserves to be treated as such. Thanks again for your time.
Sincerely
The Voice of the Addicts
I don't know what reality you live in...but addiction is not even comparable to being diabetic. I don't know what psycho bullshit you have been listening to. Drug addiction is not a disease. I suppose I could be prone to alcoholism due to my father and grandfather..but I am not because I make my own choices. I have every opportunity to run downtown & score any drug of my choosing..BUT I don't. Addiction starts with making the decision to do drugs/alcohol in the first place. I know too many addicts who use the excuse that they have a disease. They are served up one drug to dismiss the misuse of another. Its crap. I stand on my own two feet just like many others..so should they.
only1canjudge

Franklin, TN

#35 Jul 28, 2010
yeah good luck going to a methadone clinic with no money,people talking about things the know nothing about, u can't just walk into a methadone clinic and say hey im broke today, i need a fix. it costs money.

i'm a mom of 2 children, i own my own home and have a job in law enforcement. IM A METHADONE PATIENT (like leslie said). i have almost 10 years of clean ua's, the program saved my life. it would be nice to have a clinic closer to home. you should not judge all of us, because of a few people that abuse the program. people have addictions to many things, do we get rid of all medicines that people abuse?? no, that wouldnt be fair to the people it helps just because some people choose to abuse it.
Local

Columbia, TN

#36 Jul 29, 2010
How many people have you seen misuse & abuse insulin or blood pressure medications? It doesn't happen. Good for you for being clean for 10 years. I honestly respect someone who can get clean & stay that way, but are you clean if you are eating metadone? You are still putting the same drug into your system..still feeding that addiction. Just because you are getting it from a "physician" doesn't mean that its good for you. Patients and addicts need to be taught to rise above the addiction. Put other things in your life above yourself and your wants. Thats what addiction is...a want..a desire..a craving. Its pathetic.
Voice of the Addicts

United States

#37 Aug 1, 2010
Ok, obviously the people on this forum who are speaking out against treatment facilities and addiction as a disease are idiots. I was trying to be nice and speak to you in a manner where maybe your mind could open a little but obviously your mind is closed to intelligence. Addiction has been proven to be a genetic disease just like diabetes is passed down from mother and father to child, so is addiction. Like I said, not all people who carry the addiction chromosone will become addicts(Local), but all addicts carry the addiction chromosone. Just like the police officer said you cannot hold everyone responsible for a few peoples misuse and abuse of treatment programs. Granted yes there are always gonna be people who find a way to abuse the systems in place to help people, but holding the people who actually use the programs as they are intended responsible is just wrong. That would be like putting the family of a murderer in jail as well as the actual murderer simply because they are associated with them. And as far as the woman who said her husband died from taking 11 40mg methadone wafers....of course he would die that is 440mg of methadone @ once. You cannot hold the treatment centers responsible for one persons stupidity. The ladies husband is @ fault, not the treatment facilities. The fact is every person makes their own choices in life and if that person chooses to abuse the facility then that person will have to deal with those consequences. My point is this, if you are not an addict, wonderful, but keep your opinions of how worthless addicts are to yourself. Frankly if you could open your eyes and realize that you are the idiot, and not the person trying to better themselves, the world would be a much better place. To all the addicts out there who actually use the treatment centers as they are intended back me up on this please. And finally to all of you who think treatment centers should be closed and that they do no good for anyone....i feel sorry for you because you have a bigger problem than all of us addicts, only you can't fix ignorance.
heard that

Columbia, TN

#38 Aug 1, 2010
Voice of the Addicts wrote:
Ok, obviously the people on this forum who are speaking out against treatment facilities and addiction as a disease are idiots. I was trying to be nice and speak to you in a manner where maybe your mind could open a little but obviously your mind is closed to intelligence. Addiction has been proven to be a genetic disease just like diabetes is passed down from mother and father to child, so is addiction. Like I said, not all people who carry the addiction chromosone will become addicts(Local), but all addicts carry the addiction chromosone. Just like the police officer said you cannot hold everyone responsible for a few peoples misuse and abuse of treatment programs. Granted yes there are always gonna be people who find a way to abuse the systems in place to help people, but holding the people who actually use the programs as they are intended responsible is just wrong. That would be like putting the family of a murderer in jail as well as the actual murderer simply because they are associated with them. And as far as the woman who said her husband died from taking 11 40mg methadone wafers....of course he would die that is 440mg of methadone @ once. You cannot hold the treatment centers responsible for one persons stupidity. The ladies husband is @ fault, not the treatment facilities. The fact is every person makes their own choices in life and if that person chooses to abuse the facility then that person will have to deal with those consequences. My point is this, if you are not an addict, wonderful, but keep your opinions of how worthless addicts are to yourself. Frankly if you could open your eyes and realize that you are the idiot, and not the person trying to better themselves, the world would be a much better place. To all the addicts out there who actually use the treatment centers as they are intended back me up on this please. And finally to all of you who think treatment centers should be closed and that they do no good for anyone....i feel sorry for you because you have a bigger problem than all of us addicts, only you can't fix ignorance.
typical. hey you were not an addict at one time. you made the choice! genes or no genes, ANYONE who takes excess of these drugs for a period of time becomes an addict. i do not pity your bad choices, nor do i endorse coddling you to obtain more drugs to "treat" your addiction. "CLEAN" means NO drugs!!!!!

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#39 Aug 1, 2010
Keith Richards knocked on my door and asked if I had any Dixie Cups.
Local

Columbia, TN

#40 Aug 6, 2010
Voice of the Addicts wrote:
Ok, obviously the people on this forum who are speaking out against treatment facilities and addiction as a disease are idiots. I was trying to be nice and speak to you in a manner where maybe your mind could open a little but obviously your mind is closed to intelligence. Addiction has been proven to be a genetic disease just like diabetes is passed down from mother and father to child, so is addiction. Like I said, not all people who carry the addiction chromosone will become addicts(Local), but all addicts carry the addiction chromosone. Just like the police officer said you cannot hold everyone responsible for a few peoples misuse and abuse of treatment programs. Granted yes there are always gonna be people who find a way to abuse the systems in place to help people, but holding the people who actually use the programs as they are intended responsible is just wrong. That would be like putting the family of a murderer in jail as well as the actual murderer simply because they are associated with them. And as far as the woman who said her husband died from taking 11 40mg methadone wafers....of course he would die that is 440mg of methadone @ once. You cannot hold the treatment centers responsible for one persons stupidity. The ladies husband is @ fault, not the treatment facilities. The fact is every person makes their own choices in life and if that person chooses to abuse the facility then that person will have to deal with those consequences. My point is this, if you are not an addict, wonderful, but keep your opinions of how worthless addicts are to yourself. Frankly if you could open your eyes and realize that you are the idiot, and not the person trying to better themselves, the world would be a much better place. To all the addicts out there who actually use the treatment centers as they are intended back me up on this please. And finally to all of you who think treatment centers should be closed and that they do no good for anyone....i feel sorry for you because you have a bigger problem than all of us addicts, only you can't fix ignorance.
It was my husbands fault that he died. I never denied that, but these "treatment" centers are supposed to be there to prevent addicts from overdose..misuse and abuse of methadone. Obviously they don't monitor it because I know people who come out with methadone that they sell on the streets. Do you call that monitoring? No..these centers, as well as their doctors, don't care. They simply want their money. Do you think they really care if you are found blue in bed the next day? No..they only want their money. I have worked in the medical field for over 10 years. I know how this "system" works. For you to call me ignorant because I don't believe in babysitting your "disease"..then so be it. Addiction being a "disease" is simply a theory. I would love to debate the addiction theory with you, but I'm sure you are shaking for your next fix. Good luck with going to the clinic..sounds like you are so clean. Have fun with that.
B-Rad G

Stockbridge, GA

#41 Aug 17, 2010
Wow they could pick a better location yes but if they put it there and it is not safe to go to the mall any more then go some where else. there is no place in the city that is safe. This will be much safer then a wal-mart. the people that will be going to this will act right there because they want their fix so they will be on best behavior while they are there. They wont want to be cut off so they will act right.
Voice of the Addicts

United States

#42 Aug 18, 2010
I have only one thing to say...Honestly, I want you to ask yourself,'What problem do I really have w/ a methadone clinic?' I want you to put aside all your predispositions and assumptions about who and what an addict is, and think about it with an open mind and more importantly, probably most importantly, an open heart. Once again I'll say this, yes everyone chooses what path they walk down, but science, medicine, psychology, and extensive research into subconscious actions that guide every decision we make, without us consciously realizing it and without knowing why we do what we do proves that genetics plays a huge role in who and what people become an addict. Granted everyone makes their own choice but it can be argued that no one truly decided what they do for themselves, meaning that subconscious thought processes guide everything we do. So that means that people who grew up with an addict mother or father are subconsciously motivated to turn into an addict later in life. Do the research. There are literally hundreds of studied that have been done on this. Just like a son or daughter whose parents were ministers is more likely to turn to God in times of much stress and desperation, a son or daughter of an addict is more likely to turn to a drug in times of stress and desperation. One could argue that every decision we ever make is predisposed based on our genetic blueprint along with the environment in which one grew up in. I know that I'm not going to change anyones mind on this because most people are decided on their views of 'lesser society' but I can only hope that maybe some of you aren't so far gone that you turn your back on certain people solely because of a substance abuse problem.

And on a side note, to all of those who believe addiction doesn't deserve to be treated as real medical problem, I ask you,' Are not all of us an addict in some ways?' Whether you have a couple glasses of wine b4 bed every night, or always take 2nd trip to the buffet, or even jog 10 miles every day, in principle it is all the same. All these examples share one thing and that is its what gets you through the day and makes it possible to live a stable functioning life. The only differnce is in our society using drugs as an escape is frowned upon while working your body to the brink of exhaustion to 'keep that figure' is praised. Try and take the glasses off and view it for what it really is....and what it is, is simply a way to get through life. People need to stop trying to push their beliefs onto other people and just accept people for who they are. I ask you if a heroin addict were to somehow cure cancer, would it change the fact that they still cured cancer, simply because of a substance problem? Of course not. My point is simply because someone has a problem doesn't change the fact that they are a person who deserves respect and to be treated with kindness just like anyone else. We are all children of the creator and none of us has the right to judge anyone else fire no one is perfect. I know that this will fall on deaf ears for the most part but hopefully someone understands the message I'm sending.

Since: Apr 09

Portland, TN

#43 Aug 19, 2010
Local wrote:
How many people have you seen misuse & abuse insulin or blood pressure medications? It doesn't happen. Good for you for being clean for 10 years. I honestly respect someone who can get clean & stay that way, but are you clean if you are eating metadone? You are still putting the same drug into your system..still feeding that addiction. Just because you are getting it from a "physician" doesn't mean that its good for you. Patients and addicts need to be taught to rise above the addiction. Put other things in your life above yourself and your wants. Thats what addiction is...a want..a desire..a craving. Its pathetic.
This sounds good in a perfect world but as we all know it isn't. I take insulins everyday. I'm on the pump. I also have a kidney disease and I have arthrise and my kidney doctor said I couldn't take medicine for it because it would be to hard on my kidney's. I started taking methadose several years ago. I hate taking it but I couldn't live in the pain I was in. The pain was making my blood pressure stay very high. I never have gone early to get my refill, never told the doctor I lost it, got stolen or ANY other excuss to get it early.

I wish to God I wasn't on it, but I wish I didn't have all the health problems I have. Unless anyone has lived with long lasting pain then you have NO IDEAL of what a person goes through. If I had a "perfect " body and had no health problems I would NOT be on it. It is easy for anyone who has not suffered with severe pain to judge me or others.

I realize alot of people "want" to take it or any other pills they can get their hands on, NOT ME.

“Uzi Does It”

Since: Nov 08

UZILAND

#44 Aug 19, 2010
TnTowboater wrote:
Yes there will be junkies in and out of there all day and neighborhood will decline bet on that.
Hahahahahaha.
george barnett

United States

#45 Aug 20, 2010
Janie Bean wrote:
The clinic in my town is required by law to have a guard outside the building whenever the clinic is open.
Hey!!! That's an improvement over the ususal Section 8 neighbors.My former Section 8 neighbors didn't understand the concept of STFU it's 3:00 A.M.Nasty subsidized dysfunctional trash.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taking a Knee 5 min Mom 51
Why Jesus Christ is the only way.. 5 hr Nobama 55
earting bhole 7 hr thoughts 3
Corker for Prez 9 hr yep 30
How Far Would You Go In Supporting Trump? 9 hr say again 135
Rishard Matthews 10 hr zzzap 4
I hate men. 17 hr yeppers yeppers 13

Nashville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nashville Mortgages