Forbes Magazine lists four Tennessee billionaires

Full story: WBIR Knoxville

Tennessee has four billionaires listed in the annual rankings by Forbes magazine.
Comments
21 - 30 of 30 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Don't hate me for my opinion!”

Since: Aug 07

Clinton, Tn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 21, 2007
 
tibbs wrote:
PS republican and proud - my issue with your post is the blanket statements you make. For example, you wrote: "I work in law enforcement and you don't know how many kids I have seen neglected by their parents."
I work in a childrens hospital in the middle of downtown poorsville. So, how do you know what I am aware of regarding child neglect?
Broad generalizations can be dangerous and unfair - that was my point.
Well I am sorry if I was to broad!! You can't tell me that working in a hospital you don't see kids with asthma and their blankets or clothes smell like a bar? If ya say you don't your lying! Parents who do this are selfish and that is DANGEROUS!
Living within my means

Parsons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 21, 2007
 
Right Wing Lunatic wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the way I see it: My brother-in-law has no problem coming up with money for cigarettes. But, he never pays child support. He pays the "important" bills like cable, but not child support. He recently purchased two 50" plasma TVs, but has never paid child support. He also purchased a $90 sweatshirt for himself, but owes over $30K in child support.
You make some great points. It's all about priorities and obiusly some parents place their children way down the list.

It seems like some people who claim to be "poor" and accept handouts from the government like food stamps, WIC, welfare and HUD housing always have money for designer clothing, leather purses, expensive athletic shoes, gold jewelry, expensive cars, camera cell phones with bluetooths, iPods, notebook computers, and on and on. Just look at what they drive, the way they dress and the toys they carry around.

Heck yeah they can afford these things ... they're not paying for food, rent, formula, and on and on.

And those cigarettes. I give up.

But before you jump to conclusions, no, I'm not jealous. I could afford all those things, but I choose to live within my means, pay my bills on time, and stay out of debt. I'm content to have just what I need, not a bunch of show-off "stuff" to try and make other people think I'm wealthy.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 21, 2007
 
republican and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Well first of all I am a girl! Second of all I don't think as a parent, smoking should be more important than sending their child on a field trip. Am I a smoker? no. Do I have a problem with smoking? No, as long as your children come first and you respect that I don't smoke. I work in law enforcement and you don't know how many kids I have seen neglected by their parents. I have went in houses and their be no formula for the babies, but you can guarantee a pack of cigs where layin on the table. That is PATHETIC!! N when I was paying for the field trips, the parents would say thank you things have been so tough for us lately. N she would drive away smoking a cancer stick, as I call em. That makes me angry. I'll I ask is if your going to smoke, take care of your kids first!
The sad thing is kids who can't afford the trips really feel ashamed. I remember going Tremont (the entire 6th grade) for a week back in the day and the cost was about 40.00

My best friend's parents didn't have the money so he just stayed in some special class for those who couldn't afford it and did arts and crafts all week.
That was the way it was. I look back now and wish I could have helped,(even though I couldn't).

I don't mind people making it good, this country is the place that created that chance. I just hope they are a little philanthropic with their generous success.
Stephen G

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Sep 21, 2007
 
There is one person you might have missed. Charley Ergin, Oak Ridge High School graduate, and Tennessee Volunteer basketball player is a "bnaire" also. He is involved in telecommunications.
Classmate of Charlie

Parsons, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Sep 22, 2007
 
Stephen G wrote:
There is one person you might have missed. Charley Ergin, Oak Ridge High School graduate, and Tennessee Volunteer basketball player is a "bnaire" also. He is involved in telecommunications.
I thought of Charlie as soon as I read this artile.
A few years ago when someone called and asked if I wanted to contribute to the building fund to renovate Oak Ridge High School, I asked if they had consulted Charlie for a donation. I gave them my blessing to allow a name change to the "Charlie Ergen High School" if he made a major contribution.
At least he could have donated enough to build a Charlie Ergen telecommunications wing.
After all, that's were he got his start, and his 1971 graduation from ORHS set him on the path to where his achievements have landed him today.

“Don't hate me for my opinion!”

Since: Aug 07

Clinton, Tn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Sep 22, 2007
 
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
The sad thing is kids who can't afford the trips really feel ashamed. I remember going Tremont (the entire 6th grade) for a week back in the day and the cost was about 40.00
My best friend's parents didn't have the money so he just stayed in some special class for those who couldn't afford it and did arts and crafts all week.
That was the way it was. I look back now and wish I could have helped,(even though I couldn't).
I don't mind people making it good, this country is the place that created that chance. I just hope they are a little philanthropic with their generous success.
Yes, me too. What happend to fund-raisers? When the school help send kids on those big field trips, that cost a lot more than the rest? I know when I was in school, which wasn't that long ago we would raise money for the ones that could not afford it.

“Don't hate me for my opinion!”

Since: Aug 07

Clinton, Tn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Sep 22, 2007
 
Living within my means wrote:
<quoted text>
You make some great points. It's all about priorities and obiusly some parents place their children way down the list.
It seems like some people who claim to be "poor" and accept handouts from the government like food stamps, WIC, welfare and HUD housing always have money for designer clothing, leather purses, expensive athletic shoes, gold jewelry, expensive cars, camera cell phones with bluetooths, iPods, notebook computers, and on and on. Just look at what they drive, the way they dress and the toys they carry around.
Heck yeah they can afford these things ... they're not paying for food, rent, formula, and on and on.
And those cigarettes. I give up.
But before you jump to conclusions, no, I'm not jealous. I could afford all those things, but I choose to live within my means, pay my bills on time, and stay out of debt. I'm content to have just what I need, not a bunch of show-off "stuff" to try and make other people think I'm wealthy.
You have another valid point. If you drive by the projects, they have nicer cars than me sitting out there. That is a shame! I myself am guilty of buying designer purses and shoes, but my husband and I work hard and can afford it. It's a shame tho that those on welfare buy it instead of saving up to get off of welfare. That really angers me.

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Sep 23, 2007
 
republican and proud wrote:
<quoted text>
You have another valid point. If you drive by the projects, they have nicer cars than me sitting out there. That is a shame! I myself am guilty of buying designer purses and shoes, but my husband and I work hard and can afford it. It's a shame tho that those on welfare buy it instead of saving up to get off of welfare. That really angers me.
Hey republican and proud, You are alright...thanks for the conversation friday...I think I was a little off and mistook your initial point...just wanted you to know I respect your opinions and you have made some great points...thanks

“Don't hate me for my opinion!”

Since: Aug 07

Clinton, Tn.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Sep 24, 2007
 
tibbs wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey republican and proud, You are alright...thanks for the conversation friday...I think I was a little off and mistook your initial point...just wanted you to know I respect your opinions and you have made some great points...thanks
Thanks very much! I respect yours too, I do everyones for the most part. There's a few I worry about tho, lol. I hope you had a good weekend and have a great week.
Sean Chandler

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Nov 3, 2013
 
Gator by birth wrote:
<quoted text>
SO TRUE!!! I don't mind the fund-raisers to a point. There are just so many. I also have to question this "free public school education." I have a middle schooler and a high schooler and my school fees this year were $195.00!! Now add to that lunch money everyday...field-trips...every thing that must be bought for school projects...etc etc!! I'm just really blessed I can (barely) afford it all. What about the kids whose parents can't? Certainly draws a line between the "haves" and the "have nots."
I will stand up for Knox county schools though! We came from Duval County Florida and now those schools...whew!! Crime is out of control...teachers and administrators are so caught up (not by choice) in the no child left behind that their hands are tied. I agree that Knox schools need help...but compared to Florida they are excellent!! I try hard to volunteer as often as I can..and they are grateful to have any parent help when they can.
I have a handicap son and I still say the person who came up with no child left behind left their brain behind. We have become a nation of weak whiners and have kissed everyones ass and now ours is getting kicked with these drips that want a hand out free health care free schooling free rent like section 8 that started out as a good thing for the military now it's for everyone who wants a free ride. When you give people a free ride it cost everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Nashville Forum right now

Search the Nashville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 1 hr The only one 1,439
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 15 hr Zeke 8,946
Nude snapchat swap 15 hr Batboy200 1
Wamp's son went straight to PR firm (Jun '10) 17 hr Oh Brother 4
BNA Kids Talent Agency Thu FilmSetGuy 2
Tn was site of the largest drug bust in history Thu common 1
WARNING AIG Company in Brentwood Thu HOBBS 10
•••
•••
•••
•••

Nashville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Nashville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Nashville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nashville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••