Should state mandate immunizations? New requirements effective in July

May 4, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chattanoogan.com

Immunizations are one of the most efficient and cost-effective ways to protect children against childhood diseases and Tennessee law requires documented immunizations.

Comments
6,641 - 6,660 of 9,272 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 07

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Hey wrote:
61 countries (40% of the population)already lable GMOs. The entire EU, even Communist China. Wow communists have that freedom to know what they are spending their money on and putting in their bodies?Wow. Isn't that amazing? Oh add Russia to that list.
Yup. Of course, there's no actual regulation in China so whether or not something is labelled really is meaningless over there.

AFter all, China was the one sell plastic as dog food - remember?
hungry woman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

hae any of you been to T

Have any you been in an open relationship?

S
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup. Of course, there's no actual regulation in China so whether or not something is labelled really is meaningless over there.
Yes I remember the problems with contaminated junk from Communist China that was part of it being amazing that they labeled the GMOs.
Now if it's not an issues for food companies to label foods in 61 other countries isn't it amazing that the most powerful country in the world can't come up with doing this very same thing that folks in other countrie have the benefit of?
If my products were so wonderful I'd want to put that up every where.How about big letters on the front of the boxs and cans and every thing. Shout it from the roof tops not spend millions to keep it all hidden.
Well everything should be in plain boxs and such.That would be fair and even interesting.Maybe you want to buy a tv but the box you just bought was a box of tv trays.So what you don't need to know.I mean who the hell are you to know anything for that matter?
STUPID? YES.So is not knowing what your buying in your food.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.How about the other 60 countries?

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text> Yes I remember the problems with contaminated junk from Communist China that was part of it being amazing that they labeled the GMOs.
Now if it's not an issues for food companies to label foods in 61 other countries isn't it amazing that the most powerful country in the world can't come up with doing this very same thing that folks in other countrie have the benefit of?
If my products were so wonderful I'd want to put that up every where.How about big letters on the front of the boxs and cans and every thing. Shout it from the roof tops not spend millions to keep it all hidden.
Well everything should be in plain boxs and such.That would be fair and even interesting.Maybe you want to buy a tv but the box you just bought was a box of tv trays.So what you don't need to know.I mean who the hell are you to know anything for that matter?
STUPID? YES.So is not knowing what your buying in your food.
Like I said before...

You want labels because you fear this food because the people are telling you to fear this food, not because there's any specific evidence that anything is wrong. Putting "warnings" on products that have GMOs will just go further to heighten the perception that there is danger which has not been shown to be real.

If I started some bizarre rumor about how food picked by someone who is left handed causes cancer and enough people on the internet believed it, would that justify requiring companies to label food as "Lefty-Free"?

This is fear driving notification in the absence of evidence.

First get evidence, then ask for appropriate action. Don't demand action and then look for appropriate evidence.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said before...
You want labels because you fear this food because the people are telling you to fear this food, not because there's any specific evidence that anything is wrong. Putting "warnings" on products that have GMOs will just go further to heighten the perception that there is danger which has not been shown to be real.
If I started some bizarre rumor about how food picked by someone who is left handed causes cancer and enough people on the internet believed it, would that justify requiring companies to label food as "Lefty-Free"?
This is fear driving notification in the absence of evidence.
First get evidence, then ask for appropriate action. Don't demand action and then look for appropriate evidence.
How is it 61 other countries get the labels?
So peoples fears cause farmer's animals to become sterile?Sheep eat what's left of cotton plants and die.Are these animals fearful and therefore have these issues with GMOs?
Someone needs to talk to them and tell them it's all in their minds.
So basically other people in other countries are fear driven but they can have labels anyhow? How does that work?
Kytom

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

No

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it 61 other countries get the labels?
So peoples fears cause farmer's animals to become sterile?Sheep eat what's left of cotton plants and die.Are these animals fearful and therefore have these issues with GMOs?
First of all, citations?
Second of all, how much cotton do you eat?

I've seen this behavior before with the anti-vac crowd. Rumors and gossips and no facts to back them up.

You don't change policy based on fears. You change policy based on science. Put together the science and the scientists will back you up. Until then it's just speculation.
Someone needs to talk to them and tell them it's all in their minds.
So basically other people in other countries are fear driven but they can have labels anyhow? How does that work?
In England, until very recently, their medical system accepted magical water as medicine. They had whole hospitals that treated people with magic water. And when I say "recently", I don't mean 1500. I mean 2-3 years ago.

The fact that a country accepts or rejects something is not evidence that that their beliefs are scientifically valid.

Europe is in the middle of a massive food scare that did not start with GMOs. It started with Mad Cow. They had poor controls in place and it was a huge problem for them. We did not have similar problems here because we have been controls in place.

Europe then had this recent second "scare" with the horse meat fiasco.

It's not surprising that their reaction to speculative food scares is knee jerk. That doesn't make their fears valid.

Additionally, the sort of one size fits all labeling you are calling for makes no sense.

Let's say I grow soy beans and I splice in a gene from an African strain of soy bean which normally doesn't breed well with the common strain in use. Is that the same as if I were to splice spider DNA into a cow?

This is not a simple discussion to be had by people without an understanding of what's being discussed. It's not something where "label it all" means anything.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
First of all, citations?
Second of all, how much cotton do you eat?
I've seen this behavior before with the anti-vac crowd. Rumors and gossips and no facts to back them up.
You don't change policy based on fears. You change policy based on science. Put together the science and the scientists will back you up. Until then it's just speculation.
<quoted text>
In England, until very recently, their medical system accepted magical water as medicine. They had whole hospitals that treated people with magic water. And when I say "recently", I don't mean 1500. I mean 2-3 years ago.
The fact that a country accepts or rejects something is not evidence that that their beliefs are scientifically valid.
Europe is in the middle of a massive food scare that did not start with GMOs. It started with Mad Cow. They had poor controls in place and it was a huge problem for them. We did not have similar problems here because we have been controls in place.
Europe then had this recent second "scare" with the horse meat fiasco.
It's not surprising that their reaction to speculative food scares is knee jerk. That doesn't make their fears valid.
Additionally, the sort of one size fits all labeling you are calling for makes no sense.
Let's say I grow soy beans and I splice in a gene from an African strain of soy bean which normally doesn't breed well with the common strain in use. Is that the same as if I were to splice spider DNA into a cow?
This is not a simple discussion to be had by people without an understanding of what's being discussed. It's not something where "label it all" means anything.
I don't eat cotton,but then neither did the sheep.They ate what was left of the plants as they had before.But the GMO left overs killed them.
AS far as the magic water, I bet it beat Viox and SV-40.
So, after the magic water, did the 61 other countries decide their folks ought to have a choice? Well maybe it was that magic water that gave them the common sense to realize one ought to know what they are paying for.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 24, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't eat cotton,but then neither did the sheep.They ate what was left of the plants as they had before.But the GMO left overs killed them.
AS far as the magic water, I bet it beat Viox and SV-40.
So, after the magic water, did the 61 other countries decide their folks ought to have a choice? Well maybe it was that magic water that gave them the common sense to realize one ought to know what they are paying for.
Your argument is circular.

"We need to mark this stuff because it might be dangerous. How do we know? Because other people mark it because it might be dangerous. How do they know? Well other people mark it because it might be dangerous."

It's all based on trying to increase fear without actually increasing any knowledge.
DrFill

North Augusta, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argument is circular.
"We need to mark this stuff because it might be dangerous. How do we know? Because other people mark it because it might be dangerous. How do they know? Well other people mark it because it might be dangerous."
It's all based on trying to increase fear without actually increasing any knowledge.
Your logic is flawed. You are assuming consumers only want food properly labeled, if it could "possibly" be dangerous. Consumers should have the right to know what they are buying "period".

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

DrFill wrote:
<quoted text>
Your logic is flawed. You are assuming consumers only want food properly labeled, if it could "possibly" be dangerous. Consumers should have the right to know what they are buying "period".
How do you determine if something is "possibly" dangerous? Because someone suggests it?

Like I said before, if I suggest that food picked by left handed people causes cancer, does that mean we need to label all food as being "possibly cancer causing"?

OR, does it mean we need to do a study to determine if that claim has merit before we make a decision effecting the entire industry.

There are an UNLIMITED number of possible claims which can be made. Should all food producers forever be subject to claims which have not be substantiated?
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's because the public is frequently scared off by unsubstantiated claims.
Look at the whole issue over vaccines. It's all based on one guys fraudulent claim, but the conspiracy theorists picked it up and ran with it. Now thousands of kids are dying as a result.
CLAIMS that GMO are dangerous have not been substantiated. Therefore, forcing food manufacturers to label their products "warning" customers about the presence of something which science has not shown requires a warning is needless fear mongering.
GMOs are in just about everything you buy. If they were responsible for some crazy health crisis, it would be obvious at this point.
All disease indicators have been in steady decline except obesity related illnesses and that's because of corn syrup not GMOs
Well, my own position is that each of us should have sovereignty over our own bodies, and of our children. Certain exceptions based on abuse and neglect, but those would be for a different conversation. In short, I oppose the Nanny State.

GMO corporations don't have the best track record where pollutants are concerned, and let us not forget that Flouride is a byproduct of processing bauxite into aluminium that is put in our tap water, and that almost every drug {regardless of how domestic it may be} is a weakened poison. In all of this I think we should at least have sufficient information to make an informed decision, rather than having that decision made for us.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Done my homework wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, my own position is that each of us should have sovereignty over our own bodies, and of our children. Certain exceptions based on abuse and neglect, but those would be for a different conversation. In short, I oppose the Nanny State.
GMO corporations don't have the best track record where pollutants are concerned, and let us not forget that Flouride is a byproduct of processing bauxite into aluminium that is put in our tap water, and that almost every drug {regardless of how domestic it may be} is a weakened poison. In all of this I think we should at least have sufficient information to make an informed decision, rather than having that decision made for us.
Basically, it sounds like your argument is this:

Some things which are "safe" at low doses can be harmful at high doses and therefore should have a warning.

That's true of water. Should we require warnings on water?

There is a reason we have an FDA. It determines whether or not something is a problem at the levels at which it is safe.

People are focusing like crazy on the _potential__speculative_ harm of hybrid crops and are completely ignoring KNOWN dangers which are FAR more common and FAR more dangerous.

Your location isn't listed but it's a TN forum so I'm going to assume TN for the sake of argument.

Tenn has 63 coal fired power plants. Each one of them puts out more radioactive waste than a nuclear power plant. Not to mention mercury, sulfur and CO and CO2.

You are ACTUALLY having people die as a result of this.

Can you point to someone who has died from GMO crops?
DrFill

North Augusta, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you determine if something is "possibly" dangerous? Because someone suggests it?
Like I said before, if I suggest that food picked by left handed people causes cancer, does that mean we need to label all food as being "possibly cancer causing"?
OR, does it mean we need to do a study to determine if that claim has merit before we make a decision effecting the entire industry.
There are an UNLIMITED number of possible claims which can be made. Should all food producers forever be subject to claims which have not be substantiated?
Thanks for making my point. Properly labeled food will solve a myriad of problems.
Nope

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Nope
I think so

Kodak, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Two of the many opinions why GMO foods can and will do to the human body. When the AMA speaks out against it, time to sit up and listen. As for immunizations, just because you do not want your kid immunized, does not make it ok. The rest of the population wants to eradicate disease, such as whooping cough, and if your kid is going to attend public school, it is a requirement. So yes and yes!

http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/genetic...

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dang...
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
Basically, it sounds like your argument is this:
Some things which are "safe" at low doses can be harmful at high doses and therefore should have a warning.
That's true of water. Should we require warnings on water?
There is a reason we have an FDA. It determines whether or not something is a problem at the levels at which it is safe.
People are focusing like crazy on the _potential__speculative_ harm of hybrid crops and are completely ignoring KNOWN dangers which are FAR more common and FAR more dangerous.
Your location isn't listed but it's a TN forum so I'm going to assume TN for the sake of argument.
Tenn has 63 coal fired power plants. Each one of them puts out more radioactive waste than a nuclear power plant. Not to mention mercury, sulfur and CO and CO2.
You are ACTUALLY having people die as a result of this.
Can you point to someone who has died from GMO crops?
Actually, some water does come with a warning {No Swimming, No Diving, etc.}:-)

Okay, down to it. Yes, I live in Tennessee, in Anderson county to be as specific as I wish to be.

There are reasons to be cautious, for sure, but my big argument is that government does not have the right to rule over me, or pass laws that attempt to rule my life and/or that of my family. There are some exceptions that are reasonable, but they are very few and very far between. The government that seeks fiat rule via law is just as tyrannical as any monarch or oligarchy in any country, in any time.

As for Nuclear Reactors in Tennessee, back in the 70's there was a plan to build a Breeder Reactor in Oak Ridge, but Jimmy Carter killed the project. The appeal of the Breeder Reactor was that it produced more fuel than it used, which would assure cheap and abundant electricity for all of East Tennessee once implemented. Somehow folks around Oak Ridge got the idea that it would blow up, or melt down and poison the whole area.

No one can point to any deaths resulting from GMO foods because there hasn't been enough research done, nor has there been long term exposure to study. However, there is some significant research on recombinant DNA, which is the process that produces GMO foods. The research I recall is from the 70's and 80's {as I recall, but maybe later as I'm going on memory alone} showed reason for serious concern.

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2013

Judged:

DrFill wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for making my point. Properly labeled food will solve a myriad of problems.
What problems? What labels?

Look, we know about REAL problems:
- People are deathly allergic to peanuts

We therefore want this label:
- May contain nuts

We DON'T have any evidence to suggest that GMO foods cause any problems

But you want this label:
- May contain GMO foods.

Except THAT label would need to be on EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the supermarket. So, what's the point.

There is literally NOTHING in the supermarket which was can know FOR CERTAIN does not contain a GMO food or a meat that consumed a GMO food.

ALL food is GMO. Always has been. Always will be.
Done my homework

Oak Ridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Nuggin wrote:
<quoted text>
What problems? What labels?
Look, we know about REAL problems:
- People are deathly allergic to peanuts
We therefore want this label:
- May contain nuts
We DON'T have any evidence to suggest that GMO foods cause any problems
But you want this label:
- May contain GMO foods.
Except THAT label would need to be on EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the supermarket. So, what's the point.
There is literally NOTHING in the supermarket which was can know FOR CERTAIN does not contain a GMO food or a meat that consumed a GMO food.
ALL food is GMO. Always has been. Always will be.
Actually, "all food is GMO" is subject to interpretation. Hybridization has been part of farming for thousands of years, and in this sense your statement is true, but via the process of producing chimera plants and the possibility of future chimera animals is another topic altogether.

Maybe foods could take a page from the Milk industry's play book. Notice that milk that does not contain RBST {bovine growth hormones} are so labeled, but those that do have no labeling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Johnny Smith 8,610
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 5 hr Only one 1,491
Hey Nashville, Country Music Needs Some Help 7 hr Zebo 4
Police Make Arrest In Bellevue Grow House Bust ... (Jan '10) 7 hr Zebo 26
Why Doesnt Country Music Sound Like Country Mus... 7 hr Zebo 2
Personal- looking for a w/m to share with hot wife 9 hr Jimbo Lanier 38
three some 9 hr Johnny Swindle 3

Search the Nashville Forum:
•••
•••