Prisoner Transportation Services LLC ...
Former TransCor

Sarasota, FL

#252 Sep 25, 2012
While I can certainly sympathize with those who have had a bad experience, I can say that not all employees of this company were corupt or cruel. I worked for a number of years with TCA, and I never treated anyone cruely or unkind. You see, there is always another side. At one time TransCor was a very decent company and the employees were like a family. The turning point came when CCA aquired this company and became greedy.

Too many positions in the office were created, while too many good agents were chased off. They became unfriendly to the agents, and even disrespectful on the phone with us. The leadership had never been in the field, and treated agents badly, which led many to leave. Once the good agents left, they quickly filled in with new people who were not screened well and who were probaley never around a prisoner in their life. Too little training, no common sense and probaley the first job they ever had where they were under supervised. So of course problems started.

Yes, it was not a pleasure trip, but the teams did get downtime, and the prisoners in custody were housed and given shower breaks.

It is sad that this is now a thing of the past. You see, it cost money to house the prisoners, and as soon as they went for the buses and transporters, the prisoners suffered and so did the agents. believe it or not, but there are more laws protecting farm animals being transported than human beings. It became cruel the way things changed. I blame the schedulers (Yes, you Jill, and Andrea). I was working in the office and would request a special schedule change to help a prisoner who had a problem, and they never once assisted. I eventually had to scream and shout to be heard.

And yes, there were heros in the field. Fallen is one, and there are 2 more that I remember. George Rawls, a man who was respected and was a jolly man died behind the wheel of a van, but somehow managed to stop the vehicle safely while having a heart attack, and no one else was even injured. You may not think that was a hero, but the type of heart attack he had, only gives a 15-30 second window between the first pain and instant death, yet somehow he managed to stop that vehicle.

Fallen, you are a hero, and were injured severely. I do wish you well.

I do hope that laws change concerning extradition, and I wish that PTS and other's would close. I think it is time for each Sheriff's Department to transport their own extraditions, when something is for profit, someone always suffers. Both employees and the fugitives.
XTCA

United States

#253 Sep 25, 2012
Yes, I too felt the same way about TCA when CCA took over. Geroge Rawls was a frind of mine and with me on several trips as my bus driver. Things happen when the business is strictly profit driven.
title18

United States

#254 Oct 1, 2012
Usc title 18 is why these companies exist. Jennas act is why SOs can no longer extradite.

Federal Gov misspending is why the US Marshals dont pick your criminals up.
FloydC

Jet, OK

#255 Oct 2, 2012
Eddie James wrote:
PTS IS A SHAM OF A COMPANY. THOSE RUDE A**HOLES ARE THE MOST UNPROFESSIONAL S*UMBAGS I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH. I WORK FOR A SHERIFF DEPARTMENT AN WE HAVE STOPPED USING THEIR SERVICE. I ENCOURAGE ALL SHERIFF DEPARTMENTS TO DITCH PTS.
Which sheriff's department did you work for?
officer bo

Goodlettsville, TN

#257 Oct 16, 2012
whats the pay? and are the agents armed?
Katie

Atlanta, GA

#258 Oct 25, 2012
Our family member was picked up in Alabama for transport to North Carolina, a 9 hour trip, he was in 'their' custody for 11 days! This is a horrible company.
SEEYAINCOURT wrote:
Just a few of the many reasons these assholes should be locked up. These are just a few of the many incidents that have been reported. There are numerous reports of being sexually abusive to those they transport.
The Owners deserve the death penalty:Thor Catalogne,Alan Sielbeck,Kent Wood. These deserve life sentences:Ryan Whitten,Andrew Vallely,Frank Caruso. Three people were killed in a crash on Interstate 20 in Greensboro early Tuesday morning, when a van carrying prison inmates slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer, according to the Georgia State Patrol.
The van, which was carrying eight prisoners,is registered to PTS Vans Inc. out of Nashville Tenn.,and was delivering the prisoners to different locations across the state, according to the patrol.The crash happened about 1:20 a.m. and sent victims to hospitals as far away as Athens and Atlanta.The van's driver, a passenger and one of the prisoners were killed in the crash.
Prison transportation service lost a murder suspect somewhere between Florida and Pennsylvania, leading to a search for the cuffed and shackled inmate and drawing complaints that such companies are poorly regulated.
The discovery Thursday was at least the second escape in six months involving an inmate being moved by Prisoner Transportation Services of America LLC. Still, industry critics said the major issue is not escapes, but mistreatment of inmates and poor traveling conditions.
Authorities searched for the suspect who escaped late Wednesday or early Thursday while en route from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Sylvester Mitchell, 33, was being extradited to face attempted murder charges in Philadelphia, where he once lived. He was gone when the van arrived at 3 a.m. Thursday at a police station.
Authorities said it was unclear how or where Mitchell escaped. Other inmates and guards said they don't remember seeing him after the van's previous stop in Annapolis, Md.
Prisoner Transportation Services, based in Nashville, Tenn., says it is the largest U.S. firm of its type, moving more than 100,000 inmates nationwide each year. The company states on its Web site that its agents are highly trained and "most have military and/or criminal justice backgrounds."
A spokesman for Prisoner Transportation Services, who declined to identify himself before hanging up, said Thursday that the company had no comment.
A shackled inmate escaped in September at Philadelphia International Airport while in the custody of a Prisoner Transportation Services guard and was captured a week later in Elkton, Md.
Taariq Ali, 43, formerly of Wilmington, Del., was serving a life sentence for attempted murder and a weapons charge. He was transferred in 1995 to California and was being returned to Delaware when he escaped Sept. 12.
The Delaware Department of Corrections said at the time that Prisoner Transportation Services did not notify state officials until two days later. The state uses private contractors because it is not authorized to move prisoners across state lines.
Corrections spokesman John Painter said Thursday that the department is "no longer involved with Prisoner Transportation Services"
Though prisoner mistreatment appears to be more commonplace than escapes in transit, the lack of oversight and regulation of the industry makes it difficult to determine how widespread problems are, said Margaret Winter, associate director of the ACLU National Prison Project in Washington.
Because they are privately owned, prison transportation companies are not required to release data on escapes, accidents and numbers of inmates they transfer. It's also unclear exactly how many such companies exist, because many are "thinly staffed, fly-by-night operations" that quickly close up shop when they're sued, Winter said.
outlawed

Charleston, WV

#259 Nov 1, 2012
completely unprofessional and horrible conditions. Im a vet and had 2 1/2 years working for the DOC also being assigned to the transportation unit. I was transported by this company because I had a warrant and I couldnt count all the regulations they broke as well as laws. Th wrecked and got in a high speed persuit to get somebody's license plate number with prisoners in the van. I am definitely filing a lawsuit.
FloydC

Jet, OK

#260 Nov 1, 2012
outlawed wrote:
completely unprofessional and horrible conditions. Im a vet and had 2 1/2 years working for the DOC also being assigned to the transportation unit. I was transported by this company because I had a warrant and I couldnt count all the regulations they broke as well as laws. Th wrecked and got in a high speed persuit to get somebody's license plate number with prisoners in the van. I am definitely filing a lawsuit.
What regulations did they break? In what state did it happen?
blah blah

United States

#261 Dec 14, 2012
Ryan is cool White is a pot head. Its all about the money.
loved one extradited

Horseheads, NY

#262 Dec 17, 2012
Extradition Transport of America...
I could hardly find any info on this company based out of Riverside,CA. My loved one is in route from NY to AZ and was told it could take A FEW WEEKS for him to arrive!!! I'm terrified after hearing all of these other stories...any info would be appreciated...
xtca

Puyallup, WA

#263 Dec 17, 2012
loved one extradited wrote:
Extradition Transport of America...
I could hardly find any info on this company based out of Riverside,CA. My loved one is in route from NY to AZ and was told it could take A FEW WEEKS for him to arrive!!! I'm terrified after hearing all of these other stories...any info would be appreciated...
Laws still on the books allow 180 days to transport a fugitive back to the demanding state or territory. Typically, the cities u asked about wil take a week or so. Safety is paramount so no one will give out information about the transport. However, u can contact the destination facility to verify if he has arrived and usually the booking facility will allow a phone call. Good luck.
loved one extradited

Horseheads, NY

#264 Dec 17, 2012
xtca wrote:
<quoted text>
Laws still on the books allow 180 days to transport a fugitive back to the demanding state or territory. Typically, the cities u asked about wil take a week or so. Safety is paramount so no one will give out information about the transport. However, u can contact the destination facility to verify if he has arrived and usually the booking facility will allow a phone call. Good luck.
Seems outrageous that they would allow six months to transport someone who is likely facing only an extension of probation... My concern is for both prisoners and guards. Are these typically safe? How about for a guy who has never been in trouble in his life, first time incarcerated, who is being hauled across the country with other inmates... Are they of different classifications? I'm so worried... I just pray they arrive safely. I can't believe that they can't allow them to make a call just to say they're okay, though I suppose I can understand why
IcanRunPTS

Cordova, TN

#265 Dec 25, 2012
I work for PTS now and yes some of these complaints are true, so as the crappy vans, but i drive on a 3 man team. YES we on the road about 2-3 days before we get a rest over night but One person drives for 8 hours with pick ups and stops in between , another person co-drives for 8 hrs and another is in the sleeping birth for 8 hrs. So no is driving 36 to 48 hrs straight and if they are its there partners fault for letting them drive like that cuz aint no company worth losing m life over, i pull over all the time and stop stretch my legs to wake up if im sleepy
Earlene

United States

#266 Dec 27, 2012
Anyone out there that was or had a family member transported by PTS between November 13 and November 20? This bus went to many states....SC, Alabama,Gergia, Mississippi,Misouri......I am looking for inmates that went threw New Madrick, Missouri to drop off, before entering Kentucky , etc.Other stops were NY and NJ.
FloydC

Jet, OK

#267 Dec 27, 2012
IcanRunPTS wrote:
I work for PTS now and yes some of these complaints are true, so as the crappy vans,
What's the problems with the vans?
FloydC

Jet, OK

#268 Dec 27, 2012
Earlene wrote:
Anyone out there that was or had a family member transported by PTS between November 13 and November 20? This bus went to many states....SC, Alabama,Gergia, Mississippi,Misouri......I am looking for inmates that went threw New Madrick, Missouri to drop off, before entering Kentucky , etc.Other stops were NY and NJ.
What was the longest anyone stayed in the van?

What kinds of problems did they have?
Brad

Prairie Village, KS

#269 Dec 31, 2012
I work for a Transport Company, and I feel that they, for the most part, do things right. For companies like US Prisoner Transport, it's all about looking cool. Ballistic Vests?? I saw a lady in the Detroit jail that worked for them. I thought she was swat til the jailer called her out for not having a pen lol.
Pissed On

Kingsport, TN

#270 Dec 31, 2012
rpg wrote:
CCA is proof that there is lots of money to be made incarcerating citizens.
You better believe it. I'm in East Tennessee. My state senate rep is the Honorable Ron Ramsey. He is a thug, gang member wanna be who wears a suit. He wants to be governor. It ain't gonna happen.

He eats lunch out there in Nashville with some of these cocksuckers about once per week. Just follow the money people. You can't give these little worms an ounce of authority over you. I wouldn't have Ramsey as my pool boy.

He gets money from Jack Daniels. H keeps pot illegal. Why? Because some other thugs in suits, there in Nashville want to privatize the good ole prison system. If we allow this to happen, it's Marxism. These thugs, and Ramsey will MAKE TONS of taxpayers money by locking people up. In another state they caught judges getting kickbacks from these thugs by meeting quotas to this FREE ENTERPRISE system.

You miss one more thing. When the lawmakers are in bed with these prison people?well, now they start making laws that say THEY CAN'T BE HELD LIABLE FOR KILLING PRISONERS IN WRECKS OR DENYING MEDICAL ATTENTION OR FOOD.

Allow this and Tennessee is done. Happy new year
Earlene

United States

#271 Jan 1, 2013
FloydC wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the problems with the vans?
I doubt it is every van........but why would an employee, or 3 employees refuse to take inmates to a hospital that had been injured while they were being transported........then refuse to write a report on the incident when the inmate asked for one. People were injured on this trip.......and nothing was done.
Earlene

United States

#272 Jan 1, 2013
FloydC wrote:
<quoted text>
What was the longest anyone stayed in the van?
What kinds of problems did they have?
I know some were on this van more than 4 days.....

The driver was speeding, hit a big pot hole and inmates were thrown up against the top and side of the bus, twice. At least two were hurt.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women smokers 12 hr HoneyHick 29
WSMV Chris Miller 13 hr Ole Noodle Append... 14
Review: Donald D Zuccarello Law Office (May '11) 15 hr Kathys an ass 40
Too many on welfare 17 hr ThomasA 16
Johnny Ray Thompson AKA Bubba T AKA bubble teeth Thu just so you know 1
2 year old girl murdered thrown in well Thu Bahahahahaha 6
Snow Danger With Open Schools Thu I used to be someone 30

Nashville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance