Prisoner Transportation Services LLC is a Disgrace

Posted in the Nashville Forum

First Prev
of 17
Next Last
SEEYAINCOURT

Hopkinsville, KY

#1 Aug 6, 2009
Just a few of the many reasons these assholes should be locked up. These are just a few of the many incidents that have been reported. There are numerous reports of being sexually abusive to those they transport.
The Owners deserve the death penalty:Thor Catalogne,Alan Sielbeck,Kent Wood. These deserve life sentences:Ryan Whitten,Andrew Vallely,Frank Caruso. Three people were killed in a crash on Interstate 20 in Greensboro early Tuesday morning, when a van carrying prison inmates slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer, according to the Georgia State Patrol.
The van, which was carrying eight prisoners,is registered to PTS Vans Inc. out of Nashville Tenn.,and was delivering the prisoners to different locations across the state, according to the patrol.The crash happened about 1:20 a.m. and sent victims to hospitals as far away as Athens and Atlanta.The van's driver, a passenger and one of the prisoners were killed in the crash.
Prison transportation service lost a murder suspect somewhere between Florida and Pennsylvania, leading to a search for the cuffed and shackled inmate and drawing complaints that such companies are poorly regulated.
The discovery Thursday was at least the second escape in six months involving an inmate being moved by Prisoner Transportation Services of America LLC. Still, industry critics said the major issue is not escapes, but mistreatment of inmates and poor traveling conditions.
Authorities searched for the suspect who escaped late Wednesday or early Thursday while en route from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Sylvester Mitchell, 33, was being extradited to face attempted murder charges in Philadelphia, where he once lived. He was gone when the van arrived at 3 a.m. Thursday at a police station.
Authorities said it was unclear how or where Mitchell escaped. Other inmates and guards said they don't remember seeing him after the van's previous stop in Annapolis, Md.
Prisoner Transportation Services, based in Nashville, Tenn., says it is the largest U.S. firm of its type, moving more than 100,000 inmates nationwide each year. The company states on its Web site that its agents are highly trained and "most have military and/or criminal justice backgrounds."
A spokesman for Prisoner Transportation Services, who declined to identify himself before hanging up, said Thursday that the company had no comment.
A shackled inmate escaped in September at Philadelphia International Airport while in the custody of a Prisoner Transportation Services guard and was captured a week later in Elkton, Md.
Taariq Ali, 43, formerly of Wilmington, Del., was serving a life sentence for attempted murder and a weapons charge. He was transferred in 1995 to California and was being returned to Delaware when he escaped Sept. 12.
The Delaware Department of Corrections said at the time that Prisoner Transportation Services did not notify state officials until two days later. The state uses private contractors because it is not authorized to move prisoners across state lines.
Corrections spokesman John Painter said Thursday that the department is "no longer involved with Prisoner Transportation Services"
Though prisoner mistreatment appears to be more commonplace than escapes in transit, the lack of oversight and regulation of the industry makes it difficult to determine how widespread problems are, said Margaret Winter, associate director of the ACLU National Prison Project in Washington.
Because they are privately owned, prison transportation companies are not required to release data on escapes, accidents and numbers of inmates they transfer. It's also unclear exactly how many such companies exist, because many are "thinly staffed, fly-by-night operations" that quickly close up shop when they're sued, Winter said.
SEEYAINCOURT

Hopkinsville, KY

#2 Aug 6, 2009
One thing that's clear is that the goal with all these companies is to pick up as many bodies along the way as they can to squeeze out the most profits," she said. "We've had many reports of prisoners being taken on weeks-long odysseys and not getting food, water or medical attention."
insider442

United States

#3 Aug 7, 2009
these companies are ridiculous. A lawsuit was just won against c.c.a. about opening there records to the public. Hopefully the aclu is keeping an eye on that. P.T.S. is a horrible company, not only towards inmates, but also to its employees. I've seen first hand what they do and how they operate. I think that the scariest thing is making there agents drive for upwards of 48 hours. The two drivers in the most recent accident were my friends...good people trying to make a living. Prisoner Transportation Services should be at the very least regulated. R.I.P. db
rpg

Nashville, TN

#4 Aug 8, 2009
CCA is proof that there is lots of money to be made incarcerating citizens.
pts reject

Everett, WA

#5 Aug 9, 2009
Its pretty damn bad that 2 good agents had to lose their lives for a company that dont give a rats ass about there employees. I truly hope that the feds bring down the hammer on this company and hit them were it hurts.The owners big greedy ass pockets. They want to do everything under the sun, the cheap way.Not paying their employees more than min wage.They make millions of dollars each year.that the powers to be put it in there greedy ass pockets.The only transport company out there, that is too damn cheap to get insurance so there agents can carry weapons..how is a agent going to defend him self from a convicted murder with no protection. pts could be a great company if they did things the professional way and treat their employees better than what they do. If they keep doing the same stupid shit they do,they will be shutting their doors just like transcor did. They need to step up to the plate and start running this company like a extradition company should do. Remeber its the employees that make all your money for you. So dont cut off the hand that feeds you. Without them you dont have shit.

Since: Aug 09

Canton, OH

#6 Aug 11, 2009
I as a former employee agree with all of you 100%. I ( and I know everyone will say yeah right) NEVER mistreated a prisoner, I honestly believe in treat others as you would wanna be treated. Now, As far as PTS is concerned they should be brought up on charges..We as in the transporters were treated like hell, We constantly had problems with our vans with the promise of months and months that new ones were coming and the mechanic who kept fixing the vans was a junky, constantly high, And bragged about it.. I was hit by a drunk driver while working for them and as this happened we did everything by the book ( not pts book) got the car off the back of the van so I could check my prisoners ( 8 on board) they not myself was my main concern. And did what had to be done by this time we were up for 3 days not the normal 48 hour drive. Then we couldnt find a place anywhere close to stash the prisoners for rest as they needed and my partner and I did as well. We got to where we had to go and stashed them and then did our 24 down and went to start our van the next day and it wouldn't start believe it or not we made it to where we had to go but when we stopped for a long period of time our transmission fell Off the van, So of course a mechanic had to be called right away, PTS had a huge problem with this and they pushed and pissed off this mechanic who worked on our van. So thankfully we got another 24 down and prisoners got to rest some more before being put back into the van. The money was decent but I HATED what we and the prisoners had to endure. My paartner later on got fired over some bull**** reason which actually if he had been trained properly he would never had been fired. So when he was fired I said the hell with this I left them. When it came time for the court hearing for the drunk driver that hit us ( by the way I broke my pelvis and tailbone, But was unable to get help cause the prisoners needed us more) So time for court which was 14 hours away from where I lived and not working for PTS at this time called them for assistance and guess what, NONE... I had to put with someone with TB, heart troubles, urine problems, People who should have not ever been on a van.... I complained but all of the complaints fell on deaf ears... I listened to prisoners tell me about the PTS Teams that had them prior to my picking them up, I was appalled, I couldn't believe some of the stuff I heard and yes I complained. I would by stuff for them out of my own money, They got fed good 3 times a day like clockwork but would be hungry at midnight so I would by them snackcakes and such, And hell yeah I let them smoke.. I see this as why treat them like hell they have been judged enough, It's not my place to judge them...I feel bad for the couple & prisoner that died, I have a feeling it was cause they fell to sleep,Like so many others have done cause they have been run way to long..It wont change as long as there is so many hateful people out there that treats the prisoners as nothing more than trash, Those too should be brought up on charges...I truly believe in Karma....

Canton, OH

#7 Aug 11, 2009
pts reject wrote:
Its pretty damn bad that 2 good agents had to lose their lives for a company that dont give a rats ass about there employees. I truly hope that the feds bring down the hammer on this company and hit them were it hurts.The owners big greedy ass pockets. They want to do everything under the sun, the cheap way.Not paying their employees more than min wage.They make millions of dollars each year.that the powers to be put it in there greedy ass pockets.The only transport company out there, that is too damn cheap to get insurance so there agents can carry weapons..how is a agent going to defend him self from a convicted murder with no protection. pts could be a great company if they did things the professional way and treat their employees better than what they do. If they keep doing the same stupid shit they do,they will be shutting their doors just like transcor did. They need to step up to the plate and start running this company like a extradition company should do. Remeber its the employees that make all your money for you. So dont cut off the hand that feeds you. Without them you dont have shit.
Najority of the transport companies are like this. It's all about the money NOT about the people making it for them..And as bad as PTS is there is one much much worse....

Canton, OH

#8 Aug 11, 2009
As of last night one of the female prisoners was takin into a jail in Kentucky that was involved in that horrible accident,PTS transported her out of Atlanta hospital which should have NEVER have happened, She is NOW in a hospital here in kentucky cause of the drive she had to have surgery over again as when they dropped her off she was leaking fluids out of the wounds, And she had to have part o f her lung removed during this surgery this morning. I PRAY she sues PTS and anyone else involved in this. I think her prison sentence should be considered served and she will have this prison sentence for the rest of her life...
lion530

Smyrna, TN

#9 Aug 12, 2009
Yes I understand about transport services. however you just dwell on the bad,the accident.
Do you have the stats of how many prisoners are transported through out the US with out any problems,saving the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars.thousands have been transported, not that money is worth anybody's life.but until you have all the facts don't be so quick to judge.we have no clue as to what happen with this horrible accident. these prisoneer transport companines are moitoried by D.O.T and strick guidelines are in place. Do you really believe that our goverment is really going to hand over these prisoners to just anybody without checking a companies history.As far as PTS carrying guns. It is just another way of keepiing the prisoner safe and the agents safe
joe

Florence, SC

#11 Aug 12, 2009
how would i go about getting a job with a tranport company please email it jdw1332@gmail.com
blowme788

Springfield, MA

#14 Aug 12, 2009
glad to know my tax dollars are working for you to sit a computer all day and think you know everything about absolutly nothing you must of voted obama !!!!
Tamar210

Canton, OH

#15 Aug 13, 2009
That by the way is MY tax dollars that I paid in, I did work a long time too...And No I didn't vote for Obama and this will be my last entry all your come here to do is start trouble specially with a name like that.. Take Care
BeenThere

Gladewater, TX

#16 Aug 13, 2009
Facts? You want facts? I worked for PTS and Transcor. I had training with Transcor and absolutely none with PTS. I knew the husband and wife agents that were killed in that horrible accident. The facts are: They make these agents drive 49 hours or longer before getting to shut down for some greatly needed rest. This agency has not given any kind of raise to their employees for years. I know I never received one in several years. They hire individuals off the street with little, or no experience in the prisoner transport field. They also will send only one agent on many trips with prisoners who are extremely high escape risks. I wish you critics defending PTS would try working for them. I mean driving not working from a desk. Kent Wood and Thor as well as the majority owner have never driven steady for a month and only being able to rest every 48+ hours. I know I had nearly fallen asleep on numerous ocassions. There is absolutely no training involved and if possible I will be glad to testify against PTS in any criminal charges, or lawsuits. PTS needs to be shut down.
There equipment is substandard. I am going to make it a goal to get in touch with those agencies investigating this accident amd let them know what I had to endure. I'm a former law enforcement officer and I know what's right and what's wrong when it comes to transporting prisoners. I have over 20 yesrs experience. So to those saying get the facts, I say practice what you preach.
BeenThere

Gladewater, TX

#17 Aug 13, 2009
PTS puts profit over safety. That's why they have the agents driving 48 hours, or more. Transcor at least put their agents in a hotel room every 15 hours when they were using vans. They also gave raises. PTS promotes there agents without giving them a raise. You get what you pay for. I can't put into words the greediness of PTS. They will send one agent to transport prisoners of the highest escape risk. The US Marshalls use two officers and most correctional institutions use a minimum of two officers. PTS claims they have an edge over any and all law enforcement agencies when it comes to transporting prisoners. If this is true how do you explain the numberous escapes?
I never had one day of training. I am sick of their arrogance thinking they are better than any law enforcement agency. They restrain prisoners with comfort in mind, not safety. I could go on and on, but it won't bring back the husband and wife team. I hope the feds shut them down. They don't adhere to the genus act on any leve;. May the lawsuits begin.
Tamar210

Canton, OH

#18 Aug 13, 2009
BeenThere wrote:
PTS puts profit over safety. That's why they have the agents driving 48 hours, or more. Transcor at least put their agents in a hotel room every 15 hours when they were using vans. They also gave raises. PTS promotes there agents without giving them a raise. You get what you pay for. I can't put into words the greediness of PTS. They will send one agent to transport prisoners of the highest escape risk. The US Marshalls use two officers and most correctional institutions use a minimum of two officers. PTS claims they have an edge over any and all law enforcement agencies when it comes to transporting prisoners. If this is true how do you explain the numberous escapes?
I never had one day of training. I am sick of their arrogance thinking they are better than any law enforcement agency. They restrain prisoners with comfort in mind, not safety. I could go on and on, but it won't bring back the husband and wife team. I hope the feds shut them down. They don't adhere to the genus act on any leve;. May the lawsuits begin.
You and I should really talk...
Need to know more

Colgate, WI

#19 Aug 13, 2009
One of my family members was the one described in the recent post. She said that all but three, out of ten, people died in the crash. She had been in the van for 39 hours, which only had a few styops in between to pick up / drop off inmates. What she did, to be an inmate in the first place, was wrong. But what the company did to have the two drivers, to be driving the van, was indescribable. Federal laws only permit truck drivers to drive for no more that 10 hours a day. How could this company expect these drivers to be on the road so long. Anyone think that they could drive for 39 straight hours, with an hour break every 6 hours, with no sleep? That is why the accident occurred in the first place, they both fell asleep at the wheel.What about the driver's family? Was it right to have a company expect them to put their lives at such a risk? It is risky enough to be transporting prisoners, let alone with no sleep for that long.

What was stated was correct. The company wanted this girl out of the hospital immediately. Now she can't find out who to bill the charges to for her medical costs. Does anyone want the state to have to pay for those medical bills? The law agencies hired this company to deliver the inmates SAFELY back to their respective jails, not to have to pay for bills that they had no control over.

How can I reach the company? No one wants to tell us where to send the medical bills to. Any help would be appreciated.
Tamar210

Canton, OH

#20 Aug 13, 2009
Need to know more wrote:
One of my family members was the one described in the recent post. She said that all but three, out of ten, people died in the crash. She had been in the van for 39 hours, which only had a few styops in between to pick up / drop off inmates. What she did, to be an inmate in the first place, was wrong. But what the company did to have the two drivers, to be driving the van, was indescribable. Federal laws only permit truck drivers to drive for no more that 10 hours a day. How could this company expect these drivers to be on the road so long. Anyone think that they could drive for 39 straight hours, with an hour break every 6 hours, with no sleep? That is why the accident occurred in the first place, they both fell asleep at the wheel.What about the driver's family? Was it right to have a company expect them to put their lives at such a risk? It is risky enough to be transporting prisoners, let alone with no sleep for that long.
What was stated was correct. The company wanted this girl out of the hospital immediately. Now she can't find out who to bill the charges to for her medical costs. Does anyone want the state to have to pay for those medical bills? The law agencies hired this company to deliver the inmates SAFELY back to their respective jails, not to have to pay for bills that they had no control over.
How can I reach the company? No one wants to tell us where to send the medical bills to. Any help would be appreciated.
they are located in nasville, tn.. you can find it online I cant remember the addy off hand but google it and you will ffind it, Where is your family member at right now?
Need to know more

Marshall, WI

#21 Aug 14, 2009
At our home in Indiana trying to recuperate. She has over a hundred stitches and staples in her. Half of one of her lungs was taken out and she had several broken ribs. She is in pretty bad shape. She doesn't want to sue to try to earn a buck, but she does want her medical bills paid. We are having to pay for her medical costs now, which I feel that the transport company should be liable for.
Tamar210

Canton, OH

#22 Aug 14, 2009
Was she the one in the hospital in Ky here recently??? If so I could give you a way to get a hold of me directly.
Need to know more

Marshall, WI

#23 Aug 14, 2009
Yes, she was transported to a KY jail, then released the next day. Her court date was even postponed for a month, which I figure the law agency wanted her to heal.
How can we get in touch?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 23 min KiMare 3,020
Knockoff Ugg Boots 1 hr Jene 4
Guy Hookin-Up going by "Travis S" 12 hr Gettin it 3
Opryland Ice spreading germs not cheer 14 hr Website Operator 3
Bass Pro Kettle Corn (Mar '14) 17 hr Al Henry 6
Taze Lundy Of Bob Parks realty 17 hr Al Henry 5
Outstanding Steel Guitar player 17 hr Al Henry 2
Nashville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web