Emancipation Proclamation on display in Nashville

Feb 12, 2013 Full story: WTOC-TV Savannah 11

The original Emancipation Proclamation is going on display in Nashville as the Civil War-era document that changed the lives of countless African-Americans makes its only stop in the Southeast on a 150th anniversary tour.

Full Story

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#1 Feb 13, 2013
i know you dixie landers are still mad as hell!

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#2 Feb 13, 2013
dragonpat wrote:
i know you dixie landers are still mad as hell!
But in Nashville they probably still have a statue of Nathan Benford Forrest, founder of the KKK.

“Sexy & Independent”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#3 Feb 14, 2013
I would not be caught dead in Nashville, TN. The only thing they have down there is the Grand Ole Opry.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#4 Feb 14, 2013
Halle Berry Sister wrote:
I would not be caught dead in Nashville, TN. The only thing they have down there is the Grand Ole Opry.
I lived in Nashville for several years while studying Philosophy at Vanderbilt. It was quite boring until I started meeting some cool folk from the Black community and made friends at Fisk U.
There were old veterans of the 1960s Movement still around during the 1980s.

“Sexy & Independent”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#5 Feb 15, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in Nashville for several years while studying Philosophy at Vanderbilt. It was quite boring until I started meeting some cool folk from the Black community and made friends at Fisk U.
There were old veterans of the 1960s Movement still around during the 1980s.
Cool. I am glad you survived Tennessee. Congrats on your college education. I had siblings and friends who lived up there and they hated it. I would not live there. I am happy where I live.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Halle Berry Sister wrote:
<quoted text>
Cool. I am glad you survived Tennessee. Congrats on your college education. I had siblings and friends who lived up there and they hated it. I would not live there. I am happy where I live.
Nashville wasn't exactly my favorite city either. It simply became more tolerable after I made a few friends in tha African-American community. When I moved to Nashville to study at Vanderbilt U, it was living in the belly of a great white whale. The school was about 98% and maybe 95% conservative. And the surrounding neighborhood where I resided was overwhelmingly white also.
But during one of the antiapartheid protests on campus I met some demonstrators from the Black section of town, including some Black churches and old 80s veterans. Through them I met other people in Nashville's Black community. Also, we few BLacks at Vanderbilt were scattered all over creation. At the antiapartheid demo I met some of the few socially conscious BLack folk.(Nothing personal, but most Black folk at Vandy seemed to be trying to totally assimilate themselves in that chillingly alabaster--and racist---milieu. Geting an education is one thing, but swallowing the shallow, materialistic and narcissistic values of the white "mainstream" was a different matter. Frankly, most fellow Vanderbilt blacks---usually from elite AA families--simply bored me).
I still remember a guy name Leo Lillard, SNCC veteran and former civil rights activist, who happened to have appeared on a series called EYES ON THE PRIZE. And I mainly dated sisters from Fisk U and Tennesse State U.
So, while Nashville as a town was abysmally boring and country ass place, I did develop nice relationships with some people.

“Yes WE Can! Yes we Will!”

Since: Jul 07

Baltimore, Md.

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Correction: I meant to say "old 1960s veterans." I was at Vanderbilt during the 1980s.

I wonder if they still have in downtown Nashville the statue of that KKK founder Nathan Bedford Forrest.
Masud_S_Hoghughi __

London, UK

#8 Feb 15, 2013
.....I think it waz a mistake to emancipate niccuz........

“I don't hate Racists”

Since: Mar 11

They're Not Worth the Effort

#9 Feb 15, 2013
When Masud got his parole that was the worst thing that could have happened they should have kept him because he is a menace to society.

“Sexy & Independent”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 15, 2013
Savant wrote:
<quoted text>Nashville wasn't exactly my favorite city either. It simply became more tolerable after I made a few friends in tha African-American community. When I moved to Nashville to study at Vanderbilt U, it was living in the belly of a great white whale. The school was about 98% and maybe 95% conservative. And the surrounding neighborhood where I resided was overwhelmingly white also.
But during one of the antiapartheid protests on campus I met some demonstrators from the Black section of town, including some Black churches and old 80s veterans. Through them I met other people in Nashville's Black community. Also, we few BLacks at Vanderbilt were scattered all over creation. At the antiapartheid demo I met some of the few socially conscious BLack folk.(Nothing personal, but most Black folk at Vandy seemed to be trying to totally assimilate themselves in that chillingly alabaster--and racist---milieu. Geting an education is one thing, but swallowing the shallow, materialistic and narcissistic values of the white "mainstream" was a different matter. Frankly, most fellow Vanderbilt blacks---usually from elite AA families--simply bored me).
I still remember a guy name Leo Lillard, SNCC veteran and former civil rights activist, who happened to have appeared on a series called EYES ON THE PRIZE. And I mainly dated sisters from Fisk U and Tennesse State U.
So, while Nashville as a town was abysmally boring and country ass place, I did develop nice relationships with some people.
Yeah Nashville, TN is not my cup of tea. I find it funny how they have the Emancipation Proclamation on display there. I love diversity and diverse schools. It appears that in order to get the college education you had to deal with and see a lot of BS. I am glad that you were able to rise above all of that BS and get your degree. It's great to know that you met other Blacks in the African American community and developed some nice relationships. I know that relieved some tension. My friends and siblings said that Nashville is very boring. I have family in other southern states also.

“Sexy & Independent”

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#11 Feb 15, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
When Masud got his parole that was the worst thing that could have happened they should have kept him because he is a menace to society.
LMAO..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 3 hr b1234here 1,556
Jason Aldean defends affair 3 hr frankie 1
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 11 hr woodtick57 71
Does anyone know of someone who is missing a fi... 12 hr Dr J 1
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 18 hr TheRealZeke 9,447
International country music singer George Hamil... 19 hr Annie and Bob 1
threesomes? Fri frankie 5
•••
•••
•••

Nashville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Nashville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Nashville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nashville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••