Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

This little Jerk better thank his lucky stars that I'm not President. After what happened in Boston today, he would be a bad memory by tomorrow morning!
----------
"North Korea Issues New Threats Over Protests In South."

Click here:
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-issues-mili...
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Aah, the old "redistribution of wealth" argument. This argument has been hashed and re-hashed on almost every political venue, so I am not about to start it up again here. Why - because nobody wins this argument. The argument continues on an on, yet nothing gets solved by it. What you are doing OT is simply looking at two percentage numbers that are almost equal, and simply saying that person with the lower income is getting a raw deal while totally discounting why Obama is paying an 18% tax rate.
Obama pays an 18% tax rate because of his higher earnings. He has enough of an income where he can live off less than what he makes. Therefore, he invests some of the rest. Investment income is taxed at a rate lower than earnings. Why - because the government wants to incent investment. Why - because if someone consistently invests long enough, they won't have to depend on the government for part of their sustenance. Therefore, the government won't have to do it. Second, Obama donated a lot of money last year. The government allows a deduction for charitable donations. Why does the government incent these donations - because if individuals are donating directly to those in need, the government won't have to spend as much doing it. Obama in effect directly gave to those in need without sending it through an inefficient government process. These two things are why Obama paid 18% in taxes. He did his part by taking part in his own retirement planning, he directly helped the poor and needy, yet you say he should pay more. You also totally discount the fact Obama paid a whole lot more in taxes than someone making $50,000 per year yet receives not one more governmental right or privilege than the $50,000 person does except for what he gets for being the President.
I don't agree on anything regarding our president, but I applaud him for being a success at what he does. The income goes along with the success. I would rather incent people to get off of governmental assistance rather than incent them to stay on it.
Regarding our current economic crisis, we are well beyond the point where simply raising taxes will solve our problems. Spending cuts will happen, because they have to. This is the only option at this point.
Again, I realize this is only my opinion and no harm intended.
"Pete", there is no argument on the redistribution of wealth, unless you wish to refute the figures that I provided, proving that the accumulated wealth of the top 1% doubled in 35 years as the wealth of the 99% declined. Those figures show without a doubt that this nations combined wealth is being redistributed UPWARD.
Most of that redistribution of wealth has occured for two reasons. One is the lowering of the top tax rates from 70% to 35%(raised this year to 39%) and the other is the ridiculously low capital gains rate which incentivises passive income over labor. Not only is capital gains income taxed at a lower rate than work, but investment income is not subject to payroll taxes.
This redistribution is happening in the background of a narrative of propaganda pumping the idea that the the country with the world's largest economy, the world's largest and most powerful military, and the world's reserve currency, can't provide basic healthcare, and a basic retirement income for it's own citizens. I again ask the basic question behind my posts...is it fair for the President, who is pretty well off to pay a lower tax rate than the guy you hired to mow your lawn, and should that guy out there WORKING lose some of his Social Security income in an effort to preserve the tax rates Obama enjoys ???
(BTW, I take no offense from your posts "Pete"...as I posted before, I am quite happy you joined the conversation !)
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a very good question. I in no way proclaim to be an authority on this, but I would think good parenting is a big contributor to a child's ambition and motivation. I do realize not every boy or girl has the good fortune of having good parents. In that case, I would think the school would try to involve a role model in a child's education along with proper guidance. Sometimes, a successful child simply has ambition, motivation and initiative in them even with a bunch of obstacles. However, I don't think money has anything to do with it. I have known a whole lot of spoiled rich kids who were sent to expensive private schools that ended up as basically failures. Drug and alcohol awareness in schools and other civic organizations for children would be a big help too in my opinion. When a child discovers late in life what it takes to become successful, there are programs available to attend colleges and universities on grants, financial aid, etc. You just have to have the desire and ambition to do so. Exactly how a child gets this without good parents is a question I really can't answer though.
Good Morning Pete;
Pete you hit the nail on the head, when you stated that parenting was a contributor to the childs success. Also guidance along the way goes a very long way.(outside factors)
The school has a very large impact on the child(not as large as the parents) so when both the parents and the school team up it's a win win.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama recently tried to get the Republicans to close the Tax Loopholes that Obama qualified for, as you very well know...and they refused to vote them in. So now, they cannot blame him for following the Tax Laws that THEY refused to change, but they will try. It won't wash with the Voters!
Exactly, my friend ! The Obama tax form is going to separate the true believers (apparently "Pete" is one) from the Obama haters...who will be FORCED into defending the low tax rate the Obama's enjoy, because of their own obstruction to the higher taxes that Obama SUPPORTS !

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Leroy Snot wrote:
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21 983463/fbi-locks-down-pilot-fl ying-j-headquarters-in-knoxvil le
Good Morning, Leroy. Good to see you back. If you don't mind , allow me to put a Headline with your Link, because it is a very interesting Link and I don't think anybody clicked on it.
This is the Haslam's Family Business, TN. Governor, after all. I wonder what this is all about!
----------
"FBI Locks Down Pilot - Flying J Headquarters In Knoxville."

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21983463/fbi-lock...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Leroy Snot wrote:
http://www.local8now.com/news/ headlines/FBI-at-Pilot-Headqua rters-203075541.html
----------
"FBI, IRS Still Tight-Lipped Day After Pilot - Flying J Headquarters Raid."

http://www.local8now.com/news/headlines/FBI-a...

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning, Leroy. Good to see you back. If you don't mind , allow me to put a Headline with your Link, because it is a very interesting Link and I don't think anybody clicked on it.
This is the Haslam's Family Business, TN. Governor, after all. I wonder what this is all about!
----------
"FBI Locks Down Pilot - Flying J Headquarters In Knoxville."
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21983463/fbi-lock...
So anyone know what this is all about? http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/15/fbi-...
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Now I want to ask a sincere question. Why do you and OT keep saying SS is getting cut and is being destroyed? I have not seen or heard where anyone wants SS cut and I highly doubt we will ever see actual cuts, regardless of which party is in office. The method used to calculate cost of living adjustments has changed, but actual benefits have not been cut nor have I seen where they will be. Medicare got cut due to Obamacare. These cuts were what he stated partially funded Obamacare. I don't think that was a Tea Party thing. I also think there are enough reserve funds in SS to handle the baby boomers. I don't think SS is as bad off as everyone thinks. Right now, interest rates are super low so the payment going into SS aren't growing very much. However, interest rates will go higher, and when they do, payments going in will start growing. It might not be enough, but it will sure help. Low interest rates are good for housing and borrowing money, but they are very harmful to retirees and other savers. As soon as the housing market picks up a bit and the economy picks up a bit, I am confident interest rates will start going much higher.
Well my friend, I base my opinion that Social Security is under attack, on the Ryan Budgets which have been embraced by virtually every Republican in the House and the fact that if not for Democrats, the Ryan Budget would be the law of the land....now Obama, who I believe is the worse negotiator in history, has put chances to Social Security and Medicare "on the table", making cuts all but inevitable.
If you have time, spend a moment checking out what Ryan has in store for average Americans, based on his budgets....and I checked both liberal and conservative sites to be sure I had a CLEAR picture so I suggest you do likewise...the truth is out there and it ain't pretty.
natural

Rockingham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

There are no more good politicians

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Here's another Article with a little more information, but not much , on the same Story.
----------
"FBI, IRS Raid Pilot-Flying J HQs; Company 'Cooperating Fully'."

Click here:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/15/fbi-...
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

natural wrote:
There are no more good politicians
I disagree ! Good politicians get elected all the time. What we need instead of good politicians is good statesmen and those are an endangered species.
Bayless

South Pittsburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
If they buy a Gun legally, they will have no choice, but to abide by the Laws or they won't get the Gun. That's the whole point!
Criminals who obey the law...SHEESH!

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Tired wrote:
My question is, how do you propose we motivate a dirt poor welfare child to become successful?
You cannot spend enough taxpayer money on 'programs' and you simply cannot 'will' someone else to become motivated. The 'Great Society' and various government programs have not only taken away any reason for a person to succeed - but also, and more importantly, the desire to do so.

There are a very few exceptions - Dr. Ben Carson is a great one.

The lack of personal motivation is not that much different than a drug addict or an alcoholic...no matter how much YOU want them to change - if THEY don't want to - it will not happen.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SpySpy wrote:
<quoted text>So anyone know what this is all about? http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/apr/15/fbi-...
We don't get much information about Haslam, his Family, or his Family Business here in W. TN., unless it's on the Nashville TV News. The TEApublicans keep it all out of our Local paper.

Guild

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't get much information about Haslam, his Family, or his Family Business here in W. TN., unless it's on the Nashville TV News. The TEApublicans keep it all out of our Local paper.
Oh yes - it is the conservative media that is to blame!! LOL

Actually, it's ironic that the Haslam's were strong supporters of the proposed state income tax - for everybody. There is the Hall Tax that I and possibly a few others here pay, but by in large there is no statewide income tax.

Maybe they're turning on each other. But, right now it's anybody's guess...and despite that evil conservative media Sassy references - the reason for the raid will come out.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Bayless wrote:
<quoted text>
Criminals who obey the law...SHEESH!
It's not about Criminals, it's about People who are Mentally Ill more than anybody else, IMO....and there seems to be a lot of that going around lately.
Criminals are not going to try and buy a Gun, legally, to use to commit a crime, because they know it can, and will be, traced back to them.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Sassy, I agree with you regarding the stock market. But there are several other investment mediums out there, i.e. bonds, real estate, mutual funds, CD's, gold, etc.
Now I want to ask a sincere question. Why do you and OT keep saying SS is getting cut and is being destroyed? I have not seen or heard where anyone wants SS cut and I highly doubt we will ever see actual cuts, regardless of which party is in office. The method used to calculate cost of living adjustments has changed, but actual benefits have not been cut nor have I seen where they will be. Medicare got cut due to Obamacare. These cuts were what he stated partially funded Obamacare. I don't think that was a Tea Party thing. I also think there are enough reserve funds in SS to handle the baby boomers. I don't think SS is as bad off as everyone thinks. Right now, interest rates are super low so the payment going into SS aren't growing very much. However, interest rates will go higher, and when they do, payments going in will start growing. It might not be enough, but it will sure help. Low interest rates are good for housing and borrowing money, but they are very harmful to retirees and other savers. As soon as the housing market picks up a bit and the economy picks up a bit, I am confident interest rates will start going much higher.
Pete, last week I called both of our Senators, Corker and Alexander both and both of their interns want to put "Chained CPI" on S.S. and take out Cola, and they both added that S.S. has to to be trimmed. Also just like my Congressman, Scott DesJarlais Republican(who runs on a pro-life, family values) married, with a pregnant lover on the side, who he wanted to get an abortion, he voted to raise the starting age on S.S. to 72.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yes - it is the conservative media that is to blame!! LOL
Actually, it's ironic that the Haslam's were strong supporters of the proposed state income tax - for everybody. There is the Hall Tax that I and possibly a few others here pay, but by in large there is no statewide income tax.
Maybe they're turning on each other. But, right now it's anybody's guess...and despite that evil conservative media Sassy references - the reason for the raid will come out.
Nuh, you really should get out into some of the small Rural Towns in TN., outside of your Home area. You'll find that you have a lot to learn and they are nothing like what you're used to...a whole different World, right here in the same State. Be sure to buy one of the weekly Local Papers, while you're there, too! The same Owner of ours, owns all of them in several Counties, including some in South Kentucky!
This is , of course, if you're not a totally Fake Person, which I'm beginning to wonder about.
hmmmm

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Pilot probably let a mole in and had no idea, probally a pretty little charmer.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

Judged:

Nuh_ wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot spend enough taxpayer money on 'programs' and you simply cannot 'will' someone else to become motivated. The 'Great Society' and various government programs have not only taken away any reason for a person to succeed - but also, and more importantly, the desire to do so.
There are a very few exceptions - Dr. Ben Carson is a great one.
The lack of personal motivation is not that much different than a drug addict or an alcoholic...no matter how much YOU want them to change - if THEY don't want to - it will not happen.
Do you actually believe that an average American aspires to be broke enough to qualify for the Great Society programs ? Do you realize how destitute a man, woman or family has to be before they quailfy for government help, and how little help is actually available ?
The silly notion of the welfare queen dripping with "jools" and driving her Cadillac as she eats New York Strip steaks every night on the taxpayer's dime is just that...a silly notion.
The policies of our leaders over years have done more to kill the American dream than any Great Society programs can ever counter-balance...not the reverse.
Some of the same folks who lament the expanded use of the meager social safety net the taxpayers provide to our fellow citizens, are the same ones who have no problem with the corporate welfare provided to banks, oil companies and hedge fund operators. Some of those same folks have no problem with incentivising the outsourcing of our manufacturing jobs to cheap foreign labor markets in the tax code.
Some of those same folks do not want to raise the minimum wage and index it to inflation. Some of those same folks do not want an employer requirement to provide basic health insurance to their employees. Some of those same folks denegrate unions for trying to raise the paychecks of their members. Some of those same folks have no problem with the fact that average income for an American FAMILY is 50k a year.....but according to you, it is "various government programs" standing in the way of every American's success.
Forgive me for my skepticism.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Nashville Forum right now

Search the Nashville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Ricky reece band (Jan '14) 3 hr sam blue 2
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 3 hr jumpy 1,441
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) Fri Zeke 8,946
Nude snapchat swap Fri Batboy200 1
Wamp's son went straight to PR firm (Jun '10) Fri Oh Brother 4
BNA Kids Talent Agency Thu FilmSetGuy 2
Tn was site of the largest drug bust in history Thu common 1
•••
•••