Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in 2010?

Posted in the Nashville Forum

Comments (Page 3,429)

Showing posts 68,561 - 68,580 of123,971
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Ever see your local utility company arc a couple of wires and blow a transformer to kingdon come "Hey" ? That creates a flash and an explosion. I would suppose there were a bunch of transformers in this building utility rooms and I would suppose that having a plane hit the building and then the subsequent fire might just arc a few wires..... No, that can't be the reason, can it ? It simply does not fit the narrative of a grand conspiracy right ?
Wouldn't focusing on the idiots in government who allowed a bunch of middle-eastern citizens into the country, and then found nothing wrong with the idea that they wanted to learn to fly planes but weren't interested in landing one, be a more productive use of time ?
The pilot I knew said he could not fly that plane in that manner into the Pentagon. The flight instructor who was involved with this towel head who did refused to go up with this guy cause he was so bad with a plane he wouldn't go.
There are Pilots for 9/11 truth who are shaking there heads and are not believing.
A love a good mystery and I have read it all about 9/11 both sides of the story and the one I put up was one that stuck out as making the most sense.
It would be great if they would show those films from all those cameras around the Pentagon they grabed.
We got to see I believe 1 that showed an explosion by the building.
Where are all the film shots of what was going on as that big jet flew in????????
Pilots want to know.So do thousands of others.
There was all that evidence at the OJ trial DNA stuff on and on.
But the glove didn't fit so OJ walked.
These people look more credibile then the official story their evidence more convincing and their motives as clean as the pure driven snow.

Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Good Morning Pete.
It has been so nice on "topix", without the nite crew, spewing their venom......I just hope I didn't jinks it.
Now Pete correct me if I'm wrong since I never ran a business, I always had my agent negotiate my contract with the owners.
Now with that said, can you use as overhead like, rent, wages, utility bills, insurance, depreciation, travel expense, taxes(unemployment, social secutity, property ect.)workmans comp. ect.. Thus include all these with the IRS, as a business expense.
Now I'm not sure if even yourself "clears" $250,000 a year. At that point and only at that point would you see a increase under what our President wanted to do. Now today I really don't know where he stands because he is a moving target, which I see as a good move.
I for one see those who can spend in this economy are the only ones that will start filling up the revenue that the Feds need.
Now to tax those less furtunate who live paycheck to paycheck, is just wrong, as they are just scraping by in our Country.
Hi Dunlapian,

Yes, all expenses that are made by the company on behalf of the employee are tax deductible. However, there are two caveats. One is you have to have profits to get tax deductions. Over the past few years, that sometimes happens and sometimes it doesn't. The other is even with a tax deduction, there is still a huge cost. If a corporation is taxed at 36%, then there is still 64% of the cost that is still being paid. Payroll costs along with advertising are the biggest costs in my business, so this 64% of a payroll cost is still a huge number. Payroll taxes make up approximately half of the government's tax revenues in any given year.

Regarding taxing wage earners living paycheck to paycheck more, I don't think anyone is prioritizing doing that. Right now, the bottom half of all wage earners don't really pay income taxes. Also, any tax hikes being discussed don't even include the bottom 50%. We did have a lapse in a payroll tax break that increased every wage earner's paycheck 2% as well as increased employers taxes 2%. This had a disastrous effect along with high gasoline prices on the retail industry. I realize this was a lapse in a tax break instead of an actual tax hike, but the results were the same. In my opinion, this lapse occurred due to politics with both democrats and republicans.
Republicans don't think our tax revenues are the cause of our current problem. Republicans don't want taxes raised on anyone. To us, all signs point directly to a spending problem. This spending problem can be corrected through the elimination of waste, and reforming certain entitlements. And reforming doesn't mean cutting them out or lessening the benefits necessarily. In short, when we don't have any money, we have to watch what and how we spend just like any other entity has to do. Our current course is unsustainable and we have now surpassed the point where taxing everyone and everything 100% will fix the problem. This leaves us only one choice. We can do this sensibly if everyone would work together instead of engaging in name calling, inserting politics/ideologies, and creating class warfare. Everyone wants out country to be prosperous and that is what we all have in common. Nobody wants anybody else to have to suffer needlessly. We can achieve all of this by focusing on the real problem and leaving politics and ideologies out of the picture for a while.

Anyway, just my 2 cents and I do appreciate you sharing your thoughts. This are insightful. Thank you.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> I know this was addressed to "Pete", "Dunlapian", but I will chime in.
Yes those expenses are tax deductable since they are actually expenses not income. Business income is net after all costs. I can't speak for "Pete" since he has a much larger operation, but most business people I know do not get near that ceiling, and the tax increase (which Obama didn't get on 250K ) wouldn't affect them at all. My customer base are FAR from rich, and every dollar taken out of their pockets is a dollar that they CAN"T spend. I am going out on a limb here but I know a good bit about the Tri-Cities area and I am going to say that there aren't many of Pete's customers who net 250k either. There just aren't that many folks around here that net that kind of money. Main Street small businesses depend on average Americans to buy their goods and services and it is a statistical fact, backed up by our conservative friends on the thread that the AVERAGE income for an American family is 50k and, as you know, average means there are as many below that figure as aboove it ! Those average folks are my customers.....and they are tapped out, squeezed by falling wages and benefits and the increased costs we all have been hit with. If Obama hits them with S.S. cuts and higher taxes, he harms Main Street businesses. Again if looking to those who make huge salaries, derive their income from lower taxed capital gains, or have benefitted by the huge profits of the multi-nationals as Main Street has been devastated, to fund government and balance the budget is class warfare, sign me up as a class warrier.
Hi OT. I agree with a lot of this, but there are some points that I don't. Like I told Dunlapian, I don't think anyone is looking at increasing taxes on the less well off. Also, I haven't seen where anyone is looking at cutting SS. The COLA calculations have changed a bit, but I haven't seen where there are going to be actual cuts. Also, right now, our federal debt exceeds our GDP. Also, we are at a point right now where taxing everyone and everything 100% won't eliminate our federal debt. Also, our tax revenues are made up of 45% individuals income taxes, 45% payroll taxes, approximately 8% corporate taxes and the rest in real estate and other taxes. If we get too heavy on the corporate tax side, the payroll tax and the individual income tax numbers will start receding heavily. We don't want to drive away or cripple job creators and the entities that make up our GDP. It is a fine line I realize.

I just don't think focusing on taxing the large corporations and super-wealthy will fix our current problem. There has to be some cuts in spending or we will continue down this road. Thanks for your thoughts!
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

PairAnnoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't lessen those people's lives and sacrifices to accept the truth.
I am not talking about lessening these peoples lives.These people and that film shows these people and their reasons why they are questioning the official story . They were there explaining things and family members were talking,even though SSS says no family members were questioing anything.
SSS site claims jet fuel was a culprit BUILDING 7 WENT DOWN IN 7 SECONDS INTO IT"S OWN FOOTPRINT AND NO PLANE TOUCHED IT. There as no big raging inferno going on either. Pictures in the film show building 7s fires and also raging fires in other highrises that never went down.
It also mentioned the hazards at ground zero with the asbestos and all in SSSs article.
Yet I clearly remember the MSM ( no wack job sites) saying how the EPA gave the all clear, no problem here,move along folks get on with it.
Funny how our heros from 9/11 fought for help because so many got really sick from ground zero just like our returning vets from desert storm who were treated like scum.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Being an Atheist I assume I can say this, yep some of these Dems really suck big time.
That being said, although you profess to being an atheist, you're still probably more moral than the conservative "Christians" that post on this thread.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't
Pete for you.
MSNBCs Joe Scarbough on Scarbough Country on that Bayer Story.I think Bayer got it pulled a few times but it's back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
On the site there by those other films you'll see Gallo the Merck scientist who confesses about the sv-40 they got from the cute little Green Monkey's kidneys when they made the Polio Vaccine.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete for you.
MSNBCs Joe Scarbough on Scarbough Country on that Bayer Story.I think Bayer got it pulled a few times but it's back.
On the site there by those other films you'll see Gallo the Merck scientist who confesses about the sv-40 they got from the cute little Green Monkey's kidneys when they made the Polio Vaccine.
Try again.
Or at Bayer Distributes Aids-youtube
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

The Original Amused wrote:
<quoted text>
That being said, although you profess to being an atheist, you're still probably more moral than the conservative "Christians" that post on this thread.
?
Hey, you helped me a long time ago with trying to get a site up and I couldn't get it to do it.
Can you figure out why this MSNBC "Rat of The Week" with the Bayer story will not come up.
Thanks.
Topix is got issues this morning or it could be my mistake I can't catch.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Judged:

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Hey, you helped me a long time ago with trying to get a site up and I couldn't get it to do it.
Can you figure out why this MSNBC "Rat of The Week" with the Bayer story will not come up.
Thanks.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...

Is this it?
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

<quoted text>
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch...
Is this it?
Yes that was the show.Thanks big time.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi OT. I agree with a lot of this, but there are some points that I don't. Like I told Dunlapian, I don't think anyone is looking at increasing taxes on the less well off. Also, I haven't seen where anyone is looking at cutting SS. The COLA calculations have changed a bit, but I haven't seen where there are going to be actual cuts. Also, right now, our federal debt exceeds our GDP. Also, we are at a point right now where taxing everyone and everything 100% won't eliminate our federal debt. Also, our tax revenues are made up of 45% individuals income taxes, 45% payroll taxes, approximately 8% corporate taxes and the rest in real estate and other taxes. If we get too heavy on the corporate tax side, the payroll tax and the individual income tax numbers will start receding heavily. We don't want to drive away or cripple job creators and the entities that make up our GDP. It is a fine line I realize.
I just don't think focusing on taxing the large corporations and super-wealthy will fix our current problem. There has to be some cuts in spending or we will continue down this road. Thanks for your thoughts!
Good post "Pete", and I want to discuss further.
You say that taxing everyone and everything 100% will not eliminate the debt. I guess that is true, BUT that assumes a single bite of the apple and the whole apple is gone, and that is not the case. Uncle Sam got a bite of my apple last week when I paid the remainder that I owed, and he will get another bite next year, and the year after, provided I continue to work and earn. The same goes for all taxpayers including those more wealthy than myself. Nobody I know is proposing confiscating the already accumulated wealth of the 1%. What I am advocating is slowing the accumulation of wealth in 1%(or 20%) of the population IF that accumulation harms the 80%. IF the rising tide of wealth were lifting all boats....we wouldn't be having this conversation, because every American would be sharing in part of the economic prosperity that seems now reserved for a comparitive few.
The second thing I wanted to talk about was the "job creator" thing. I read (and made myself a copy of) your formula for hiring hands...and I have been studying it because I think I can really learn something from it. I haven't used any formula, instead I have learned that the time to hire more help is when you can't provide the goods (or services) you sell to your customers in a timely manner, on an average day, in an average week. No matter the process, that happens because the trade increases for whatever reason. Therefore, I contend that while you and I both employ people, it is increased business from our customers which "creates" jobs, not the businesses themselves. In other words it is average Americans with money to spend who are the job creators. You may think I am splitting hairs, but I think this is one of the reasons why we may view some issues differently.
Hey

Cookeville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

<quoted text>
I believe there is a life force (a spirit of life)that flows through and interconnects all living creatures.
So evolution to me means this life force evolves and unfolds expressing all that it is through all of life.
Life is sacred.
I am ok with this.
Overtaxed

Thorn Hill, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
?
Thanks.
Topix has issues most days...I have to go back over most posts and replace the missing letters, and on certain days...there are MANY ! This morning I couldn't get anyone's links to come up....then again, it could be this computer, or my internet provider.
Tired

Dandridge, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Topix has issues most days...I have to go back over most posts and replace the missing letters, and on certain days...there are MANY ! This morning I couldn't get anyone's links to come up....then again, it could be this computer, or my internet provider.
I thought it might be me too. I also couldn't get Hey/OA's video to come up.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there is a life force (a spirit of life)that flows through and interconnects all living creatures.
So evolution to me means this life force evolves and unfolds expressing all that it is through all of life.
Life is sacred.
I am ok with this.
Hey, just follow those feelings, you will know if they are good or not. If what you do feels right and moral.......I believe you have made a connection with God, and it's a good feeling.

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, I've posted this before. Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a Report about Big Corporations not paying any taxes, at all.
At that time, they went to another Country...I don't remember which one...and showed exactly how they did it
They merely set up an Office with a phone that didn't work, and a desk, and put a sign on the door. Nobody worked in this Office, either.
Then, they told the U.S. that they had moved their HDQTS., to this Foreign County and they were paying their Taxes to that Country, and they told that Country, that they had their HDQTS. in the U.S. and they were paying their Taxes to the U.S. In actuality, they weren't paying Taxes to either Country.
Now, the U.S. either knew it and looked the other way, or...they could have easily found out if they had wanted to. "60 Minutes" had no problem at all finding out and even showed the inside of the Bogus Foreign "Home" Office. Leslie Staule(sp?) did the Report.

This "Tax-Dodging" by Big Global Corporations has been going on since the Reagan Administration and "Trickle Down" Economics was implemented and it needs to STOP! Thirty years of it, is ENOUGH! And it's what's just about broken this Nation! They've made huge Profits and haven't supported this Country that enabled them to make them. It's time they started paying their way and even doing that, they will never pay back what they really owe, for all these years of "special" TAX treatment! IT HAS TO STOP!
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete, I've posted this before. Several years ago, "60 Minutes" did a Report about Big Corporations not paying any taxes, at all.
At that time, they went to another Country...I don't remember which one...and showed exactly how they did it
They merely set up an Office with a phone that didn't work, and a desk, and put a sign on the door. Nobody worked in this Office, either.
Then, they told the U.S. that they had moved their HDQTS., to this Foreign County and they were paying their Taxes to that Country, and they told that Country, that they had their HDQTS. in the U.S. and they were paying their Taxes to the U.S. In actuality, they weren't paying Taxes to either Country.
Now, the U.S. either knew it and looked the other way, or...they could have easily found out if they had wanted to. "60 Minutes" had no problem at all finding out and even showed the inside of the Bogus Foreign "Home" Office. Leslie Staule(sp?) did the Report.
This "Tax-Dodging" by Big Global Corporations has been going on since the Reagan Administration and "Trickle Down" Economics was implemented and it needs to STOP! Thirty years of it, is ENOUGH! And it's what's just about broken this Nation! They've made huge Profits and haven't supported this Country that enabled them to make them. It's time they started paying their way and even doing that, they will never pay back what they really owe, for all these years of "special" TAX treatment! IT HAS TO STOP!
Hi Sassy. Hope you had a good Sunday. I watched the Masters Golf Tournament most of the day and was disappointed an American didn't win, but it was fun to watch.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I am sure there are some corporations doing this. But most of the taxes we get from corporations comes from payroll taxes, not taxes on profits. The last time I checked, payroll taxes amounted to approximately 45% of all tax revenues while corporate taxes amounted to only 8%. I can see how you can avoid corporate taxes, but I don't think there is any way to avoid payroll taxes unless you pay your employees in cash. That would be mighty risky business these days though.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> Good post "Pete", and I want to discuss further.
You say that taxing everyone and everything 100% will not eliminate the debt. I guess that is true, BUT that assumes a single bite of the apple and the whole apple is gone, and that is not the case. Uncle Sam got a bite of my apple last week when I paid the remainder that I owed, and he will get another bite next year, and the year after, provided I continue to work and earn. The same goes for all taxpayers including those more wealthy than myself. Nobody I know is proposing confiscating the already accumulated wealth of the 1%. What I am advocating is slowing the accumulation of wealth in 1%(or 20%) of the population IF that accumulation harms the 80%. IF the rising tide of wealth were lifting all boats....we wouldn't be having this conversation, because every American would be sharing in part of the economic prosperity that seems now reserved for a comparitive few.
The second thing I wanted to talk about was the "job creator" thing. I read (and made myself a copy of) your formula for hiring hands...and I have been studying it because I think I can really learn something from it. I haven't used any formula, instead I have learned that the time to hire more help is when you can't provide the goods (or services) you sell to your customers in a timely manner, on an average day, in an average week. No matter the process, that happens because the trade increases for whatever reason. Therefore, I contend that while you and I both employ people, it is increased business from our customers which "creates" jobs, not the businesses themselves. In other words it is average Americans with money to spend who are the job creators. You may think I am splitting hairs, but I think this is one of the reasons why we may view some issues differently.
Hi OT. I think we are discussing different topics. What I am referring to is paying down the federal debt. I think you are referring to how we tax. Regarding the federal debt problem and our country's lack of money, it is my premise this is a spending problem. I think you are saying it is a tax problem. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this. Also, regarding my customers at least, they have money to spend but are simply to scared to spend it. Every business is different though. Hope you are doing well!
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Overtaxed wrote:
<quoted text> We had a simple misundersanding "Pete". You posted that we have the highest taxes in history. I pointed out that tax rates have been much higher in the past....but you meant tax revenue, not rates, a simple misunderstanding right ? Revenue is rising and none too soon in my opinion. It takes revenue to operate government, and in times of recession government costs increase. More of our fellow citizens become qualified for Unemployment compensation, food stamps, WIC, housing subsidies, welfare etc, and the costs of providing all other government services remain in place. That includes the cost of a war that is still going on, half a world away. It being tax time I looked at business expenses for utilities, fuel, insurance etc. and compared them to 10 years ago... Would it surprise you to know that my expenses almost doubled in 10 years ? I doubt you are surprised since you are a businessman as well. Is it too much of a stretch to believe that the cost to government for the services that it provides cost more as well ? To meet those increased costs requires additioal tax revenues, or additional borrowings....just to stay EVEN and that is before those additional recessionary costs are even calculated.
Now, we can get down to the class warfare argument. When the wealth held by 1% of the population goes from 19% to 49% in 35 years, is it class warfare to deduce that that 1% have done exceptionally well ? When that group holds nearly as much wealth as the other 99% combined is it class warfare to ask government to look to them first for additional taxes ? Is it class warfare to say that the average American who got a TOTAL 4% raise in 35 years shouldn't have to bear the burden of paying down a debt they did not benefit from creating ? If that is the definition of class warfare....if it is, then I will wear the label proudly.
Sorry OT, I didn't see this post. Actually, my costs haven't increased that much over the past 5 years or so. Wages have increased, fuel has increased and insurance has gone up a bit, but my cost of goods sold, advertising, utilities, etc. have stayed the same or gone down. The prices I charge for goods has gone down as well to try to stimulate more business. Inflation has been very mild over the past few years.

Also, our current tax system is designed to tax income. It doesn't tax wealth. There are a lot of people who are wealthy on paper, but have no cash. This is the reason taxes focus on earnings. However, wealth is taxed via estate taxes to a degree. I explained in an earlier post how the super-wealthy can remain immune to a bad overall economy. They do this via diversification and their massive wealth and/or income allows them to diversify to a point where they can actually withstand a recession fairly well. Average investors can't do this because they cannot diversify to this extent. Normally, a bad economy will hurt everyone but those few who are super-wealthy. That is the reason for the wealth disparity in my opinion, not how they are taxed. It works on the flip side as well. Those who a totally dependent on the government are not affected by a recession either. Therefore, their wealthy does not change when the economy turns south.

Anyway, we do have some fundamental differences of opinion, but I respect your opinion and your initiative at standing for what you believe. Standing up for something is better than standing up for nothing.
Pete

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2013

Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
Pete for you.
I believe you and do believe this show existed. But I will never believe that 9/11 was the result of a conspiracy within our government.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 68,561 - 68,580 of123,971
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Nashville Forum right now

Search the Nashville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Medical Marijuana Act Gains Entry to TN Senate 1 hr Zebo 371
steve dozier king of Judicial MISCONDUCT (Oct '13) 3 hr Evette 23
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 4 hr Harold BeBop Turner 1,048
TN Pay-to-Spray Firefighters Watch as Home Burns (Oct '10) 12 hr sally 58,245
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 12 hr sally 8,462
actavis opana (oxymorphone) vs impax opana (oxy... (May '13) 14 hr popapillnchill 9
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 19 hr bob 8,504
•••
•••
•••
•••

Nashville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Nashville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••