Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#68776 Feb 22, 2013
Cornbread wrote:
So why is it called an Obama phone?
All because one Black woman was caught on video at a rally, saying something like "I Love my Obama phone."
There is one problem with the Obama Phone: It doesn’t exist. Obama didn't start the program .
Since 2009 there has been an urban myth that Obama created a program to provide free phones to low-income Americans at taxpayer expense.
There is, in fact, a government program that will provide low-income people with a free or low cost cell phone. This policy started with land line phones first, since cell phones weren't around. It began in the 1980's.
The idea of providing low-income individuals with subsidized phone service was originated in the Reagan administration following the break-up of AT&T in 1984.(It was expanded and formalized by the Telecommunications Act of 1996.) The program is paid for by telecommunications companies through an independent non-profit, not through tax revenue.
Cornbread, you are exactly right and it tells you that in the fine print on the advertisements for the phones, if anybody would bother to read it!
If I were truly as worried about it and as resentful of them as so many claim to be, I would read the fine print to try and find out if it really was costing me anything...unless , of course, I just wanted to blame Obama for something that was started by Reagan and carried over by every President since then.
Also People, look at your phone bill...you've been paying that Universal Service charge since long before Reagan started the program and if it's gone up, I haven't noticed it and I do look at my bill!
Also, you cannot get called for a job if you don't have a phone where you can be reached and anywhere they you apply will tell you flat out, that they will disregard your application and not accept it , without a phone number where you can be reached. A phone is not a luxury, it is a necessity!
Oh, allow me to correct myself...the Universal Service Charge has
gone up...to $1.03, it used to be a dollar even...it's gone up 3 cents! C'mon People, how petty can you get?
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#68777 Feb 22, 2013
crazya55whiteboy wrote:
Its crazy how people turn against each other just cuz one has more money than the other, gives them a sense of feeling more higher up than the rest of people,and how greed can create such chaos when those people start wanting to make even more,(ceos and politicians and corps) while paying workers less, the republican party is trying to kill the middle class especially when single parents are living below poverty line while working full time jobs and wanting to strip social security and food stamps and any other benefit that helps those less fortunate instead of raising taxes on the extremely wealthy. i find that greed the kinda thing that creates most most of our problems here in the United States. we need a new increase in the minimum wage and it does not effect the jobs numbers in doing so it actually helps because people dont want to work all day and only bring home $280 a week and thats not enough to raise kids on and save money back its impossible. i voted democrat Mike Mcwherter and every other democrat that will run because republicans are racist and corrupt inside and out.
It obvious you don't want to work either!. Guess when the minimum wage goes up, you can be the one laid off from work. You would be papy will pay everyone elses pay hike. Thank the Dem/libs for your lose. The conservatives, want you to work for a living. we'll help those who cannot work but you need to prove that you cannot work. Not handing out nothing to a bum that don't want to work.

OH, Why can you not raise two kids on $7/hr. When I started, I was lucky if I got, 2.25/hr. I survived, might I add without welfare.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#68778 Feb 22, 2013
Unreal wrote:
The Obama Phone?
Posted on October 29, 2009 , Updated on Nov. 5, 2009
Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?
A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.
FULL QUESTION
Is this e-mail true?
I had a former employee call me earlier today inquiring about a job, and at the end of the conversation he gave me his phone number. I asked the former employee if this was a new cell phone number and he told me yes this was his "Obama phone."
⬐ Click to expand/collapse the full text ⬏
FULL ANSWER
Welfare recipients, and others, can receive a free cell phone, but the program is not funded by the government or taxpayer money, as the e-mail alleges. And it’s hardly new.
How It Works
SafeLink Wireless, the program mentioned in the e-mail, does indeed offer a cell phone, about one hour’s worth of calling time per month, and other wireless services like voice mail to eligible low-income households. Applicants have to apply and prove that they are either receiving certain types of government benefits, such as Medicaid, or have household incomes at or below 135 percent of the poverty line. Using 2009 poverty guidelines, that’s $14,620 for an individual and a little under $30,000 for a family of four, with slightly higher amounts for Alaska and Hawaii.
SafeLink is run by a subsidiary of América Móvil, the world’s fourth largest wireless company in terms of subscribers, but it is not paid for directly by the company. Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims. Rather, it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission. The USF is sustained by contributions from telecommunications companies such as "long distance companies, local telephone companies, wireless telephone companies, paging companies, and payphone providers." The companies often charge customers to fund their contributions in the form of a universal service fee you might see on your monthly phone bill. The fund is then parceled out to companies, such as América Móvil, that create programs, such as SafeLink, to provide telecommunications service to rural areas and low-income households.
The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.
Wilson Phones, anyone?
Read more:
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-ph...
read this before you get your panties in a wade! http://bit.ly/P2EwQO
Robert Borosage

Livingston, TN

#68779 Feb 22, 2013
Deficit Reduction: From Pain or from Gain?

By Robert Borosage

The best way to reduce the deficit is to put people back to work.

For proof, compare the U.S. and Spain. The U.S. has witnessed slow growth since coming out of the Great Recession in 2009. The result has been a deficit that has come down from over 10 percent of gross domestic product to a projected 5.3 percent of GDP this year (slightly higher if Congress is sensible enough to repeal the sequester) and a projected 2.4 percent in 2015 (if congressional austerity bombs don’t blow up the weak recovery).

Spain was forced into austerity; as part of the Euro zone, it has no control over its currency. Harsh spending cuts and tax hikes have driven the economy back into recession, thrown workers out of work and slashed basic security supports. The result: The deficit has declined from 10.2 percent of GDP to 6.7 percent, but is projected to increase to 7.2 percent GDP next year as the unemployment rises, tax revenues fall and the expenses of even a pared-back unemployment system rise.

Austerity costs jobs, cripples growth — and makes deficit reduction harder, not easier.

So why — oh why — is there bipartisan agreement that we should focus on deficit reduction rather than jobs and growth? Why isn’t Congress repealing the sequester cuts that all agree are dumb? Why are Democrats arguing about how to pay for postponing the sequester until December rather than just moving to repeal the idiocy and stop manufacturing new crises?

The deficit is coming down faster than at any time since the demobilization after World War II. This is a bad thing, not a good thing. It is hindering the recovery, slowing growth and costing jobs. That is the unspeakable truth about today’s reality. We do have a deficit crisis — it is too small, not too big, and it is falling too fast, not growing out of control.
Unreal

Dandridge, TN

#68780 Feb 22, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
read this before you get your panties in a wade! http://bit.ly/P2EwQO
I don't know how I would "read" a video, but I have already watched it. My panties weren't in a "wad" - it just sounded like some people might need some facts as to the actual creation of this program interjected into the conversation.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#68781 Feb 22, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Did you open the link, and actually read it?
evidently you did not, because it was a video.

Get real
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#68782 Feb 22, 2013
Robert Borosage wrote:
By Robert Borosage
For proof, compare the U.S. and Spain. The U.S. has witnessed slow growth since coming out of the Great Recession in 2009. The result has been a deficit that has come down from over 10 percent of gross domestic product to a projected 5.3 percent of GDP this year (slightly higher if Congress is sensible enough to repeal the sequester) and a projected 2.4 percent in 2015 (if congressional austerity bombs don’t blow up the weak recovery).
Spain was forced into austerity; as part of the Euro zone, it has no control over its currency. Harsh spending cuts and tax hikes have driven the economy back into recession, thrown workers out of work and slashed basic security supports. The result: The deficit has declined from 10.2 percent of GDP to 6.7 percent, but is projected to increase to 7.2 percent GDP next year as the unemployment rises, tax revenues fall and the expenses of even a pared-back unemployment system rise.
Austerity costs jobs, cripples growth — and makes deficit reduction harder, not easier.
So why — oh why — is there bipartisan agreement that we should focus on deficit reduction rather than jobs and growth? Why isn’t Congress repealing the sequester cuts that all agree are dumb? Why are Democrats arguing about how to pay for postponing the sequester until December rather than just moving to repeal the idiocy and stop manufacturing new crises?
The deficit is coming down faster than at any time since the demobilization after World War II. This is a bad thing, not a good thing. It is hindering the recovery, slowing growth and costing jobs. That is the unspeakable truth about today’s reality. We do have a deficit crisis — it is too small, not too big, and it is falling too fast, not growing out of control.
Like to see where this info came from.
Honestly

Beechgrove, TN

#68783 Feb 22, 2013
Unreal wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how I would "read" a video, but I have already watched it. My panties weren't in a "wad" - it just sounded like some people might need some facts as to the actual creation of this program interjected into the conversation.
sorry was not talking to you but to some of those other yo yos out there. Yeah, it was a video LOL hard to read up on that.

Location hidden

#68784 Feb 22, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
WHy do you blame everything on BUsh,, turn about is fair play....LOL
What is being blamed on Bush, is exactly who caused it and did it, it's not made up...nor false blame! You can choose to remain in denial about that, but it does not change the facts and they can be easily verified, if you really wanted to know the truth!
Most of what you blame Obama for is FALSE BLAME and I think you know it!
Put the Blame where it rightfully belongs, no matter who it is and STOP making stuff up, just because you don't like Obama! It serves no useful purpose, whatsoever!
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#68785 Feb 22, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Cornbread, you are exactly right and it tells you that in the fine print on the advertisements for the phones, if anybody would bother to read it!
If I were truly as worried about it and as resentful of them as so many claim to be, I would read the fine print to try and find out if it really was costing me anything...unless , of course, I just wanted to blame Obama for something that was started by Reagan and carried over by every President since then.
Also People, look at your phone bill...you've been paying that Universal Service charge since long before Reagan started the program and if it's gone up, I haven't noticed it and I do look at my bill!
Also, you cannot get called for a job if you don't have a phone where you can be reached and anywhere they you apply will tell you flat out, that they will disregard your application and not accept it , without a phone number where you can be reached. A phone is not a luxury, it is a necessity!
Oh, allow me to correct myself...the Universal Service Charge has
gone up...to $1.03, it used to be a dollar even...it's gone up 3 cents! C'mon People, how petty can you get?
Linda, FYI on a "land line" or "cell phone" that is disconnected you can still call 911. This is a safety feature and I'm not sure who pay's for it.
Dunlapian

Dunlap, TN

#68786 Feb 22, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
evidently you did not, because it was a video.
Get real
Who are you replying to? The link I put up was to a site.....not a video!
Hey

Cookeville, TN

#68787 Feb 22, 2013
Honestly wrote:
<quoted text>
It obvious you don't want to work either!. Guess when the minimum wage goes up, you can be the one laid off from work. You would be papy will pay everyone elses pay hike. Thank the Dem/libs for your lose. The conservatives, want you to work for a living. we'll help those who cannot work but you need to prove that you cannot work. Not handing out nothing to a bum that don't want to work.
OH, Why can you not raise two kids on $7/hr. When I started, I was lucky if I got, 2.25/hr. I survived, might I add without welfare.
!970s
Phone $7.00 month
Electric $12.00
Fuel oil $35.00
Food $100.00 Family of 4
House Payment $108.00
This is why we could make it on the cheap
What do we pay now for this same stuff?
And you could pay your healthcare out of pocket pretty much.
Oh the good old days.

Location hidden

#68788 Feb 22, 2013
Dunlapian wrote:
<quoted text>Linda, FYI on a "land line" or "cell phone" that is disconnected you can still call 911. This is a safety feature and I'm not sure who pay's for it.
You're absolutely right!
Hey

Cookeville, TN

#68789 Feb 22, 2013
In fact I built that first house for $!8,000.00 including land in 1968. It sold 8 years ago for $207,000.00

Location hidden

#68790 Feb 22, 2013
WILLARD wrote:
<quoted text>
Life's all about choices, be who you "choose" to be!
I've already made an objection to the substance and tone of another person's post, I believe that to be adequate and without need for a re-hash! If you're in need of a drama fix, go somewhere else, I'm sick of it!
To correct a small part of your delusion here, It's not my job to exonerate SSS or anyone else on the thread, certainly not you! Look, triple (S) isn't my personal, social or political ally, and she doesn't consider me a friend. She has castigated me for about everything on the menu, but she has the right to do it. I only celebrate in the sense that you and I, along with everyone else can do the same, o.k.? I'm well aware of problems we all deal with here, I'm hoping for a better atmosphere, but don't expect it!
I hope you will learn to feel differently. tks.
Willard, just to clarify...I can't say that I consider you a Friend, but I certainly do NOT consider you an Enemy! I'm just still kind of in the "getting to know you" stage, I suppose. But, I definitely don't totally dislike you. You've got a way of kinda growing on a Person. Before it's all said and done, we may actually become Friends...time will tell.:) If you behave! Lol!
if you say so

Jackson, TN

#68791 Feb 22, 2013
crazya55whiteboy wrote:
Its crazy how people turn against each other just cuz one has more money than the other, gives them a sense of feeling more higher up than the rest of people,and how greed can create such chaos when those people start wanting to make even more,(ceos and politicians and corps) while paying workers less, the republican party is trying to kill the middle class especially when single parents are living below poverty line while working full time jobs and wanting to strip social security and food stamps and any other benefit that helps those less fortunate instead of raising taxes on the extremely wealthy. i find that greed the kinda thing that creates most most of our problems here in the United States. we need a new increase in the minimum wage and it does not effect the jobs numbers in doing so it actually helps because people dont want to work all day and only bring home $280 a week and thats not enough to raise kids on and save money back its impossible. i voted democrat Mike Mcwherter and every other democrat that will run because republicans are racist and corrupt inside and out.
It has nothing to do with money on here.It is a diffrence of opnion on what's best for the country.Your have typical liberal way of thinking. Blame the Republicans for middle class hard living. Yet with the Bush tax cuts i was bringing home more money on my check and tax time i was getting $1600 to $1800 more back Now to educate you.Obama said middle class could NOT afford any more taxes,yet HE not republicans raised taxes on the middle class.Yes he raised it on the top 2% as well.Then he goes back and says well the taxes raised on the top 2% is not going to help. Now as far as racist and corruption goes both sides are guilty of that.Jessie Jackson JR is the most recient in CORRUPTION.Jessie Jackson sr is the most racist man ever. Now again you can point fingers however you wish,but have some common sense and facts before you do. Clinton,Kennedy. Carter all had corruption and Clinton lied under oath and should have been put in jail for that. If i lie under oath i will go to jail,same for you. Now if you like dems so much,move to California,it's full of liberals.Look at the welfare rate and how screwed up the state is. But again you can vote how you wish.

Since: Jul 10

Hermitage, TN

#68792 Feb 22, 2013
Robert Borosage wrote:
By Robert Borosage
Let me guess. You been smoking some of weed " obamo weed " and drinking the " obamo kool-aid " ?

This post gets my weekly pinhead award and it goes straight to the top shelve.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#68793 Feb 22, 2013
Phone(s)$90.aprox month
Electric $350.00+
Fuel oil $500.00+or-
Food $100.00wk Family of 2
House payment (paid for)
Cable $50?
Internet$50
Car & House insurance $1000yr
Mis.$5000
Squirrelly Early

Oak Ridge, TN

#68794 Feb 22, 2013
You inbred hicks ever going to let this item die?
Or is it the only thing going on in your basements?
if you say so

Jackson, TN

#68795 Feb 22, 2013
SexySassySenior wrote:
<quoted text>
What is being blamed on Bush, is exactly who caused it and did it, it's not made up...nor false blame! You can choose to remain in denial about that, but it does not change the facts and they can be easily verified, if you really wanted to know the truth!
Most of what you blame Obama for is FALSE BLAME and I think you know it!
Put the Blame where it rightfully belongs, no matter who it is and STOP making stuff up, just because you don't like Obama! It serves no useful purpose, whatsoever!
Fyi,You blame Bush.He's been out of office for 4 years.Get over it,Your blaming Bush for the SAME THING OBAMA KEEPS DOING!!!!. Borrowing money from China and continuing to do so.Fyi linda, Obamas borrowed way more than Bush along with every other President in history has. FYI you cant borrow your way to prosperity,thats common sense The moron in the White House doesn't get. When Bush was in his 2nd term,that when the economy went ot crap.FYI we had a democrap congress who was spending their way into the the defict. So you need to put the blame where it belongs which is on the dems and the tard in the White House NOW!!. Funny how old timers makes your brain mush!!!But we know it's not all your falut your soo stupid.Watching msnbc is rotting the brains of many like you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 7 min Xstain Mullah Decree 3,056
Opryland Ice spreading germs not cheer 6 hr Website Operator 7
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) 10 hr Johnny 1,867
Knockoff Ugg Boots 20 hr Jene 4
Guy Hookin-Up going by "Travis S" Thu Gettin it 3
Bass Pro Kettle Corn (Mar '14) Thu Al Henry 6
Taze Lundy Of Bob Parks realty Thu Al Henry 5
Nashville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web