Local Homeowners Fight Against Habita...

Local Homeowners Fight Against Habitat For Humanity

There are 73 comments on the NewsChannel5.com Nashville story from Sep 8, 2008, titled Local Homeowners Fight Against Habitat For Humanity. In it, NewsChannel5.com Nashville reports that:

Monday north Nashville homeowners said they were going to go up against one of the area's largest charity organizations to tell them to take their project elsewhere.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsChannel5.com Nashville.

Bobo

Spring Hill, TN

#22 Oct 8, 2008
Applause!
ex-police in Nash wrote:
NO it shouldnt be done....I dont care if they contract them out to a reputable contractor instead of using well meaning idiots, the actual construction isnt the point
the so called "families" moving into them is the problem
Crackhouses for Humanity hands out houses to street trash that has no clue how to take care of a house and no pride in ownership to upkeep the houses
350 houses like that in one area does in fact amount to a SLUM
ughhhhhhhh

Goodlettsville, TN

#23 Oct 8, 2008
Bobo is a prick, all your comments lets me know that you are a worthless piece of trash!
Habitat facts

Cookeville, TN

#24 Oct 22, 2008
Many of you have no clue as to the work of Habitat. If you read just for a few minutes you would find that people are not given the houses. They pay a mortgage each month just like many of you do. Plus I don't think all the worlds problems stem from people living in Habitat homes. The program has worked very well in our area and will continue to give families hope for the future.
jmf

Gallatin, TN

#25 Oct 22, 2008
Just a couple of days ago I saw on tv, where these women were so happy that they got these new homes. They showed 2 women and both were black. This is ok, but do any white faimly ever get these homes? I raised a handicap child by myself without child support, and It tooke me years to ever get a very small, cheap home. No one ever helped me. I'm ok with these women getting these home, what I have a problem with is, just how long before these women have their male partners move into these homes that are based on their income, I know several where within no time the men get to move in. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS. Ans How do I go about getting some of these hand outs???????
justwonderingout loud

Las Cruces, NM

#26 Oct 22, 2008
jmf wrote:
Just a couple of days ago I saw on tv, where these women were so happy that they got these new homes. They showed 2 women and both were black. This is ok, but do any white faimly ever get these homes? I raised a handicap child by myself without child support, and It tooke me years to ever get a very small, cheap home. No one ever helped me. I'm ok with these women getting these home, what I have a problem with is, just how long before these women have their male partners move into these homes that are based on their income, I know several where within no time the men get to move in. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS. Ans How do I go about getting some of these hand outs???????
Then their boyfriends and baby-daddies move in, then their friends and friends/friends come over, then someone is selling crack off the front porch.
Rocket j Squirrel

Dunlap, TN

#27 Oct 22, 2008
Habitat For Humanity: translation, glorified section 8.

Since: Jun 08

Paducah, KY

#28 Oct 22, 2008
Habitat facts wrote:
Many of you have no clue as to the work of Habitat. If you read just for a few minutes you would find that people are not given the houses. They pay a mortgage each month just like many of you do. Plus I don't think all the worlds problems stem from people living in Habitat homes. The program has worked very well in our area and will continue to give families hope for the future.
and why dont you take a nice hot cup of STFU and READ some of my post where I explain EXACTLY how the Crack house mortgages work and the default rates on them before you spout your liberal crap?
Habitat facts

Cookeville, TN

#29 Oct 22, 2008
Liberal hardly my uneducated friend. To have you know the default rate in this area on habitat homes is less than 5%. the program works well here just sorry you have had the wrong people in your neighborhood. Of course I am kinda glad I don't have to live near you as well

Since: Jun 08

Paducah, KY

#30 Oct 23, 2008
I know the default rate here....now please explain the rate BEFORE CforH forces them to sell the houses back to the company before they actually foreclose?

isnt that handy? they can keep the number down to its present "inspiring levels"

the program does not work, has never worked and as long as they give handouts to people that have no self worth and think they are "owed" something never WILL work

one more case of "figures dont like but liars sure can figure"

oh, and by the way....I have very little problems with the HOME OWNERS in my area, what myself (and the majority of them....check the number of people from this zipcode protesting the sub division...yes MAJORITY) have issue with is these "gimme gimme gimme" handout babys getting a free ride
lee

Nashville, TN

#31 Oct 23, 2008
Well I hate to see this happen. I hope that you folks in this zipcode can Please stand up to these liberal jerks and get them to stop this.

But BE WARNED! IT IS COMING! sorry to make this political but if and when Obama Hussein is elected they will all be shouting gimme gimme gimme. I'm just glad i'm still in the country and have all my guns. because you watch he will be after those too.
jmf

Gallatin, TN

#32 Oct 23, 2008
I'm afraid people are looking for something so badly, that instead of looking at the real issues, that they are just hearing the pretty words that obama is saying. Wonder what words he has been saying to Rev. Wright, Ayers, Meyers, all of the other white American hater who he used to help him get where he is at now, but he wants us to think he NEVER knew how all these people were?!!!!HA!HA! Does he really think we are so weak minded that none of us have enough common sense to ask and wonder about his evil doing? Yes, he does, and it seems he made be right!! There are alot of thing about McCain that I don't agree with, but he is 100% American. Our country sit and cry about all the foreigns that are coming into our country and abusing our rights, ENGLISH first is just one example. Obama has to many foreign friends that HATE us. Can anyone PROMISE me that obama will always put our country first?
justwonderingout loud

United States

#33 Oct 23, 2008
He cannot go terrorist on us JMF. Too many safeguards, too many gun toting rednecks that would impeach him...that whole foriegn thing is pretty unrealistic. Plus a lot of it has been disproved.

I don't really like either of them, but Obama is commited to make a real change in health insurance, and with a Dem congress and soon to be Senate, he can finally get it done. McCain just wants to give you 5 grand, and tax it, so you can get it yourself. good thing that insurance companies are falling all over themselves to provide EVERYBODY with coverage...not. You have to be young, and in perfect health to even buy coverage.

I see too many going without healthcare, and if he makes it more affordable for EVERYONE, then everyone will have more $ to spend on other serious needs. We got seniors chosing between meds and food...in America...thats unreal!

I'm a redneck, no doubt, and a Republican, but I have some Democratic principals. I do believe that Americans have a RIGHT to healthcare, I know if we remove the money grubbing insurance companies out of the mix, it'll be better for everyone.

I work in the ER, you know that. I see how those without are treated. It's shameful. The Repub's have buried their heads in the sand for too long.

We spend 2 trillion of our tax dollars every year for healthcare, but most of that goes to insurance companies and hospitals. Thats 7000.00 for every man woman and child in the US,(Not counting illegals)...that would MORE than pay for every man woman and child to be put on to Medicare. And Medicare offers WAY more coverage and ease of use than Blue Cross or any other insurance agency ever did.

According to the World Health Org. We spend more on healthcare than the next closest 3 countries...yet for actual care, we are ranked 39th in the world. And of ALL the industrialized and civilized countries, we are the ONLY ones who don't have universal coverage. Thats cause the insurance and pharmacutical companies spend HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in donations, PAC's, and scary advertising to keep us under their thumb. They don't spend that kind of $ for nothing!

If this happened...everyone would realize more pocket money, money well spent on other necesities.

I ain't whole heartedly sold on either one of them, but I do FULLY support Obamas health plan...you can ask your doctor about his/her thoughts on it. I haven't met one yet that isn't giddy with the notion of Universal Coverage...and we can finally start to get it!
lee

Nashville, TN

#34 Oct 24, 2008
Just wondering out loud: I am all for universal healthcare but you have got to look at EVERYTHING that this man is going to do to us. SPREAD THE WEALTH HOLY c**p I cant afford my own groceries much less spread the wealth to someone else. LOOK this man is dangerous. He is a creation of the media. I really hope you will look into this before you vote. but I do hope you will vote that is the one and only thing you can do right know is go behind that curtain and push that button for whoever. What about his stance on abortion, the military, education I do not understand too much about politics but I'm telling you this guy is shafy even shadier that most. Check into the fact of if he was even really born in the US or was he born in Kenya. I don't know but these are things I personally am looking into and I am just not finding him to come out clean. anyway just vote.
kkm

Spring Hill, TN

#35 Oct 24, 2008
I would like to here on both sides ther veiws on illegals.What are they going to do about all the people that are over here getting our tax dollars by getting foodstamps,insurance,free government housing don't you think that if every immigrant was taken off of that list the government would be able to afford to cover all American citizens. This is an issue that needs to be addressed.Because of immigrants our elderly have suffered.More and more of there SS has been taken away.I think the people that have kept this country going in the past should be Americas first priority not illegals.
Mom

Gainesville, FL

#36 Jul 6, 2009
I am a white woman and i have just gotten into a Habitat house. I worked well over 400 hourson my home and I worked, as God is my witness very, very hard. I even worked a lot of extra time trying to get a YMCA built in the area where the Habitat homes would be because I did see a lot of single women who had to work and poor people who had to work extra long hours as a problem when it came to their children having something to worthwhile to do. I was not successful in my endeavors to get things put into place (my ideas included Habitat raising money for their own small computer, tutoring activity center for the children as well)-- but Habitat was interested in only getting the houses built. I am not an unnatractive woman I might add -- but I have not had a boyfriend in 14 years since I divorced her father (that is how old my daughter is, minus two months) because I did not want her to have changing relationships or to be put into any bad situations if I messed up again on choosing a man to spend my time with. My house is poorly built -- but it does look nice from the outside. I can sell my house in 10 years and then I will owe one mortgage back when I sell it about $40,000 on a house that might sell for 85 to 100 -- but I doubt that highly because of the area that myn is located in. to make matters worse, I will have to sink money in to make it a comfortable and acceptable home for us. Good building practices, pride in product, a real concern for the homeowners,and a good area would have made all the difference, as it turns out, I have brought my daughter to a far worse neghborhood than the one we lived in and into a place that, although all new, is not anywhere near as well constructed as what I rented. the only plus that I see right now is that our mortgage is about half of what my rent was. I am not certain that this was worth it right now (I was trying to stay safe in this economy and wonder if I made the right move). I can tell you that I went in hoping to have a beautiful home that I could love and keep for life and that all of the dissapointments in what I was led to believe the house would be ended up being like a "bait and switch sale". I am very disillusioned in the community and in Habitat and what they do. I will tell you that not all Habitat homeowners are trashy, lousy people and that is a horribly predjudiced person that would speak the way I have seen written here.(What do you have about people who do not have as much money as you? Does that make them automatically bad?) Well, God knows I work hard, very hard, and that I am a good person -- but then, I do not have to defend myself here -- because God knows your hearts as well.
jmf wrote:
Mom

Gainesville, FL

#37 Jul 6, 2009
One more thing: I have only ever in my life collected foodstamps for a very short time when I first left my husband. My daughter has always had the healthcare. I have always worked from the time I wake until the time I sleep with very little time for my own self -- so when you are sitting on your boat this weekend judging everyone as if you were perfect know that I am mowing my lawn, cleaning inside, doing laundry, taking care of my daughter (well), taking classes, etc. Peace, kindness, and love be with you.

Since: Apr 09

Gallatin, TN

#38 Jul 6, 2009
Mom wrote:
One more thing: I have only ever in my life collected foodstamps for a very short time when I first left my husband. My daughter has always had the healthcare. I have always worked from the time I wake until the time I sleep with very little time for my own self -- so when you are sitting on your boat this weekend judging everyone as if you were perfect know that I am mowing my lawn, cleaning inside, doing laundry, taking care of my daughter (well), taking classes, etc. Peace, kindness, and love be with you.
Mom, I'm glad for you. You sound like you are one of the very few that got the help you needed. I was NEVER that lucky. I worked my butt off for years raising a handicapped child. No child support or Foodstamps. We had very little to get by on, but we did. So no I'm not sitting on my boat or living in a big home.

We NEVER got lucky enough to get any help. So when I see so many woman get the help only to move their boyfriend in within no time of getting these omes, I have a problem with it. I know several woman that has done this. They get the homes, FS, WIC, childcare, all the while not reporting the men sitting their sorry butts there also. This is where it is wrong. Some really deserve the homes, but alot just lied and cheated to get them.

PS, believe me I cook, clean, mow, iron, sew, and see to my my daughter also. So I know all to well what hard times are.
kate

Manchester, NH

#39 Mar 19, 2011
ex-police in Nash wrote:
if you want to know why we dont want HfH houses around (yes I live in 37207) try doing the research and see how many defaults they have on their "sweat equity mortgages"
the people they GIVE homes to for a simple act of token work (ie showing up at the work site) have never had to actually WORK for anything, its been handed to them, so they have no concept of taking CARE of anything, its all disposable to them
oh wait..."sweat equity"....they have to work for the houses right? ummm ok, then you tell me how much work a 90yo woman did on the construction site for her home? I just bet she was up on that ladder driving nails....uh huh right
do the research...they end up foreclosing on these low rate gimme homes, then resell them for profit to any & all comers
if its not a crack house trying to pay the mortgages the 1st time, it will be the 2nd
the houses are abused worse than most rentals, torn up, and then abandoned without second thought because there was no sense of achievement involved, its just one more hand out
THATS why I dont want CrackHouses for Humanity building around me
Learn something before you speak, you apparently have no idea what Habitat for Humanity does. They don't give away houses, they mortgage them in-house for no profit and the houses are built by volunteers with the participation of the new homeowner. The pride in these houses is high and the devaluation to communities is a myth.

I hope you are a little more informed of the constitutional limitations of your job than you are of Habitat and how it works; instead of just looking like a fool you might end up hurting someone.
kate

Manchester, NH

#40 Mar 19, 2011
jmf wrote:
Why don't you go to your local Habitat affiliate and put in some interest in homeownership? If you are qualified, you can afford the payments, you can probably get something. But you'll have to get up off your duff and go the office, they don't come to you, you have to show some initiative, like every other family that receives help from Habitat does. But that would cut into your "reverse racism/lazy black people narrative wouldn't it?
kate

Manchester, NH

#41 Mar 19, 2011
Rocket j Squirrel wrote:
Habitat For Humanity: translation, glorified section 8.
No it isn't, its a homeownership program. Section 8 is a give-away program to landlords. Educate yourself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minnesota senator al franken (Mar '17) 3 hr no no 11
free drinks for people that listen to Luke Bryan 3 hr cuntry 1
Women who want to cry victim instead of stoppin... 9 hr Ashland City Girl 41
Rand Paul Assaulted 15 hr Bigsping 11
Mental Illness 16 hr political 7
How embarrassing Fri Funny 16
Are you jealous [email protected] $W!fT Fri Funny 62

Nashville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance