Local Homeowners Fight Against Habitat For Humanity

Monday north Nashville homeowners said they were going to go up against one of the area's largest charity organizations to tell them to take their project elsewhere. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
4truth

Nashville, TN

#1 Sep 8, 2008
This story could have been written better. Much information was left out. Why is the community against these homes being built. I'm going to assume that this project will cause property values to decrease in the affected area. But that's my "assumption". Good writing would not leave the reader to assume anything.
AWFUL

Cuba, MO

#2 Sep 8, 2008
THIS IS AWFUL
what

Shelbyville, TN

#3 Sep 8, 2008
?
LeeWacker

Eddyville, KY

#4 Sep 8, 2008
It is a disgusting, terrible thing when people can't keep their neighborhood free of the do-gooders destruction. I lived in an up-scale neighborhood in Arizona, and one day we found the city had decided to put in low-rent (pronounced "projects" housing. To make a long story short, our neighborhood rapidly became one of the most filthy, uninhabitable places in town! Crime went up by 60%, our schools were overcrowded, and each time we protested, we were told to "get over it." I have also noticed that most of the neighborhoods that have allowed Habitat for Humanity are basically white middle-class, and not just a few black middle-class, and yet these neighborhoods go downhill very fast. I hope the neighborhood can get somewhere with these invaders, and tell them where to get off!
Karen

Monterey, TN

#5 Sep 8, 2008
I had the same concern about the property values in my neighborhood several years ago. I don't know what type of homes are in this area, but that would be my least concern. Crime rose quite a bit when these homes were built. I went from not locking my door to being afraid to go to work. I expect anytime to come home to find i have nothing left. They don't watch their children! I have seen some of these kids out way after dark just walking up and down the road. They completly destoyed property behind us.

Since: Jun 08

Murfreesboro, TN

#6 Sep 8, 2008
if you want to know why we dont want HfH houses around (yes I live in 37207) try doing the research and see how many defaults they have on their "sweat equity mortgages"

the people they GIVE homes to for a simple act of token work (ie showing up at the work site) have never had to actually WORK for anything, its been handed to them, so they have no concept of taking CARE of anything, its all disposable to them

oh wait..."sweat equity"....they have to work for the houses right? ummm ok, then you tell me how much work a 90yo woman did on the construction site for her home? I just bet she was up on that ladder driving nails....uh huh right

do the research...they end up foreclosing on these low rate gimme homes, then resell them for profit to any & all comers

if its not a crack house trying to pay the mortgages the 1st time, it will be the 2nd

the houses are abused worse than most rentals, torn up, and then abandoned without second thought because there was no sense of achievement involved, its just one more hand out

THATS why I dont want CrackHouses for Humanity building around me
LOST fan

Nashville, TN

#7 Sep 8, 2008
I had a friend who worked as a volunteer with Habit ... she got so disgusted with the qualification process she stopped doing that. I'm all for helping the TRULY disadvantaged get a boost in the world (but a whole house?!?), but like so many other things the system is so abused it ruins it for the people with real needs. I wouldn't want Habit homes built in my neighborhood either ... way to take the plunge and stand up to the status quo politically correct institution!
No Cluster Habitat

United States

#8 Oct 3, 2008
Visit our site to learn about our fight against the clustering of habitat homes. www.NoClusterHabitat.com
Fritz Jackson

Cookeville, TN

#9 Oct 3, 2008
Maybe there are reasons why these people are poor and can't get a mortgage...

Like not being willing to get an education and a job they stick with...

My grandfather had an 8th grade education but worked hard all of his life. He had multiple properties completely paid for.

I want to help folks help themselves, to help them fish so they can eat another day. Not much patience for folks that can't keep their life and things in order.

Paducah, KY

#10 Oct 4, 2008
Crackhouses for Humanity talks about the buildings themselves

I'm not worried about trash materials....I'm worried about trash OCCUPANTS

“Here We Go Again!!”

Since: Aug 08

Nashvegas

#11 Oct 4, 2008
I just watched the video from the site posted by No Cluster Habitat. I found it amusing that one of the residents of the area was also a habitat board member. Now that he is faced with the project in his own backyard, he isn't sure how he feels about it. Sure he is, he doesn't want that trash in his neighborhood. He is all for HfH anywhere except his neighborhood. What a hypocrit!!
jmf

Gallatin, TN

#12 Oct 4, 2008
Trying putting these homes in a wealthy neigherhood and see what happens. I still know that alot of black women get in these homes, I wouldn't have a problem with that until a week later they have the boyfriend move in, not counting his income, even if he was working. So many DO NOT take care of the home. Maybe there should be more inforced guild lines.
justwonderingout loud

United States

#13 Oct 4, 2008
jmf wrote:
Trying putting these homes in a wealthy neigherhood and see what happens. I still know that alot of black women get in these homes, I wouldn't have a problem with that until a week later they have the boyfriend move in, not counting his income, even if he was working. So many DO NOT take care of the home. Maybe there should be more inforced guild lines.
boyfriend or babydaddy?
jmf

Gallatin, TN

#14 Oct 4, 2008
In some cases both, and in some cases no, and in alot of cases not sure!!!
reality is life

Smyrna, TN

#15 Oct 5, 2008
Why is this any different than anything in life?People are glad there are dumps to take trash,but dont want a dump in their backyard.People dont want Nuclear plants but demand electricty.People dont like cops until they NEED one,the list goes on and on.The bible park story was the best example in yrs.The people that live there now did not want the bible park there to ruin their peace and quiet,but they didnt have a problem buying the houses in what was a rural area with farms.The original LOCALS did not want them there either.The people of the Blackman area are the biggest hypocrits ive seen in my life.You didnt have a problem buying into the destruction of rural life in Blackman,but they didnt want "THIS" the bible park in my backyard. Too bad Wilson county is welcoming the Bible Park with open arms hahahaha.
Bobo

Spring Hill, TN

#16 Oct 5, 2008
I'm not a big fan of Habitat For Humanity, but you need to get your facts straight if you want to be taken seriously.

First, HFH is NOT the same as "projects".

HFH *normally* only puts one house in a neighborhood, so it's pretty unlikely that that alone will cause your neighborhood to go downhill.

HFH is starting to create entire blocks of HFH homes, and that is causing some displeasure in many neighborhoods.

I'd be up in arms myself if any program came into my town that would reduce my quality of life or my home's property value, and no, I would NOT "get over it". Unfortuntely for many neighborhoods, not enough residents are willing or able to speak up and do it correctly to change the degradation of their lifestyle.
LeeWacker wrote:
It is a disgusting, terrible thing when people can't keep their neighborhood free of the do-gooders destruction. I lived in an up-scale neighborhood in Arizona, and one day we found the city had decided to put in low-rent (pronounced "projects" housing. To make a long story short, our neighborhood rapidly became one of the most filthy, uninhabitable places in town! Crime went up by 60%, our schools were overcrowded, and each time we protested, we were told to "get over it." I have also noticed that most of the neighborhoods that have allowed Habitat for Humanity are basically white middle-class, and not just a few black middle-class, and yet these neighborhoods go downhill very fast. I hope the neighborhood can get somewhere with these invaders, and tell them where to get off!
Bobo

Spring Hill, TN

#17 Oct 5, 2008
You should worry about both. A poorly-built house is bad for the neighborhood's value, no matter how well the resident behaves.
ex-police in Nash wrote:
Crackhouses for Humanity talks about the buildings themselves
I'm not worried about trash materials....I'm worried about trash OCCUPANTS

Paducah, KY

#19 Oct 5, 2008
Bobo wrote:
HFH *normally* only puts one house in a neighborhood, so it's pretty unlikely that that alone will cause your neighborhood to go downhill.
HFH is starting to create entire blocks of HFH homes, and that is causing some displeasure in many neighborhoods.
350 houses in their own little "community" is the issue here, which is what they want to build in 37207 (35 of which they already have clearance to build)

so yeah...that qualifies as a "project" as its now known....I grew up calling it a SLUM

and I know that shoddy built homes will lower damages, what I meant to get across is that I wasnt worried about them being stable built houses...I was more worried about the people IN them
upset

Wentzville, MO

#20 Oct 8, 2008
if they take the time to build it should be done right

Atlanta, GA

#21 Oct 8, 2008
NO it shouldnt be done....I dont care if they contract them out to a reputable contractor instead of using well meaning idiots, the actual construction isnt the point

the so called "families" moving into them is the problem

Crackhouses for Humanity hands out houses to street trash that has no clue how to take care of a house and no pride in ownership to upkeep the houses

350 houses like that in one area does in fact amount to a SLUM

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nashville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 35 min eyeful 2,878
Church of God of Prophecy rethinks position aga... (Aug '06) 3 hr In the closet 765
Nancy Van Camp (Apr '12) 3 hr suspicion 24
Obama Defends Immigration Reform Action at Town... Fri ronnie 6
Hottest local news anchor.... (Feb '11) Fri b1234here 1,861
Opryland Ice spreading germs not cheer Dec 18 Coldasice 1
impeach Obama (Nov '13) Dec 18 Go Blue Forever 71
Nashville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Nashville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Nashville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Nashville