VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly...

VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disabled, Question 1

Created by CitizenTopix on Oct 11, 2010

4,037 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

Other (explain below)

Syndi

Kingston, PA

#145 Oct 19, 2010
Advocate wrote:
You state that there is already a law in Virginia dealing with tax exemptions for the disabled and elderly. I am here to state that law is left to the counties to choose if they want to enforce it. Ha in Nottoway county only a very few get the exemptions. I know for a fact and I have a disabled husband the it was never given to us. Do you know how much it costs for a handicapped accesible vehicle? More than you would think. Now we get back to the issue of health care, how are you going to recieve it on a fixed income?
You wouldn't have gotten it if you hadn't sent the proper forms and supporting documents to prove your hardship to get approval to be exempt from your property taxes. That is what is wrong with the existing law, the process to get the exemption was overwhelming.The ballot changes that to the county to decide whether or not to exempt you.

As for your other question about health care- at the rate all the insurance companies have been announcing rate increases- you won't. They fully intend to profit as much as they can, that's why they are announcing that it is not the group plans, but the individual plans that like seniors, who can't get in under a group plan....Unless--- This is why AARP was all for it. They also were looking at the $$$$$ they would make over the new members, and their cut of the group plan they offer. Luck to you and us all, pray it is repealed.
Advocate

Charlotte Court House, VA

#146 Oct 19, 2010
They told us that no one had asked for tax relief and I know that was a lie.
Syndi

Kingston, PA

#147 Oct 19, 2010
Advocate wrote:
They told us that no one had asked for tax relief and I know that was a lie.
Well, at least thank God where you live, my property taxes on a $140K assessed home neared the $5000.00 mark last year and they have approved another increase for next year, so they can build some more schools when the student population has fallen, and the fire and rescue organizations are volunteers and depend upon fund-raisers. This state also has another layer of government called townships, so you have more gov to pay. City, township, county, then state. If you live outside a town- they still get you, plus they have a wage tax. You have to pay the county where you work a tax for the priviledge of having a job there. Pennsylvania is nuts.
noyb

Norfolk, VA

#148 Oct 19, 2010
I have no probem if the people requesting assistance actually NEED the program. But like all the other programs people abuse, this will be another one. So yes even to the city, town, county, etc you should still have to PROVE that your actually in NEED of the program.
beckgetsit

Richmond, VA

#149 Oct 19, 2010
overstaffed wrote:
<quoted text>You really think that the democrats come up with these quotas for personnel? These quaotas are provided by statisticians. Just like everything else that has a number. Lawyers don't produce the numbers, they just agree on the numbers and delete projects that benefitted another party while at the same time, implementing their own. Once the dollar is there they aren't looking to save it. And if there is a reduction, best believe that it wasn't the dollar that was used controversially; it was somebody's job. 76,000 teachers fired in September to show a reduction in spending by the states. All of the programs are still going!
Really? Who proposes the budgets? Who agree's with the statisticians? Smells like a democrat to me.
VETNAM 2

United States

#150 Oct 19, 2010
Syndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, at least thank God where you live, my property taxes on a $140K assessed home neared the $5000.00 mark last year and they have approved another increase for next year, so they can build some more schools when the student population has fallen, and the fire and rescue organizations are volunteers and depend upon fund-raisers. This state also has another layer of government called townships, so you have more gov to pay. City, township, county, then state. If you live outside a town- they still get you, plus they have a wage tax. You have to pay the county where you work a tax for the priviledge of having a job there. Pennsylvania is nuts.
Syndi.....

Lived there, done that.

You would do well down here. Come on down!
Syndi

Kingston, PA

#151 Oct 19, 2010
VETNAM 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Syndi.....
Lived there, done that.
You would do well down here. Come on down!
Thanks, we were "forced" here by BRAC closure of McClellan AFB, as soon as and if we can get the damn house sold, we are so out of here.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#152 Oct 19, 2010
justified wrote:
No. Their annuity companies and their investments are the reason we are in this financial mess. Wall street basically over levied their properties so those retirement funds that they had yet to receive could be recovered on the back end. Wall street bet on their previous trend of them paying their debts and got tricked. As another posted stated, "their excessive spending habits". Maybe the government is seeing this spending as a stimulation for the younger generation to earn an income that will support social security for the elderly and disabled. If their children don't want them to starve, let them take care of them. Tax exemption sounds like an future reason to cut more jobs. If cutting jobs is conservatism, America needs to start looking for an alternative to the system not just two outdatetd political stances.
Benjamin Franklin once said that the waste of our leaders could be curbed to make a rich nation. It's waste that needs more taxation. Take a look at your local government spending.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#153 Oct 19, 2010
Syndi wrote:
<quoted text>
It's bad enough to have to pay house payments, without having to pay a bunch of deadbeats to waste the money we so badly need to keep our homes, in the form of taxation. People come here from other states where there were high paying jobs, to this min.wage area, pay large amounts for property, and the dead beats in our tax offices and county , want to tax the natives out of here. We should go to town meetings, county meetings and vote down the waste management systems. A park in Washington county. in abingdon, that helps no one in the county get a job, the job losses in the county have been overlooked. The real estate agents are still dreaming, like the counties in the area are blind to the foreclosures in the area, and the jobs leaving America. We're in a depression, and they want more taxes. If you think Pennsylvania is nuts, you ain't seen nothing as to what is coming into our area. They hire people from Pennsylvania and other Northern states, to come down and appraise our property. We use to pay taxes once a year, now we're paying taxes twice a year at the rate we paid once.It's getting worse.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#154 Oct 19, 2010
Syndi wrote:
<quoted text>
You wouldn't have gotten it if you hadn't sent the proper forms and supporting documents to prove your hardship to get approval to be exempt from your property taxes. That is what is wrong with the existing law, the process to get the exemption was overwhelming.The ballot changes that to the county to decide whether or not to exempt you.
As for your other question about health care- at the rate all the insurance companies have been announcing rate increases- you won't. They fully intend to profit as much as they can, that's why they are announcing that it is not the group plans, but the individual plans that like seniors, who can't get in under a group plan....Unless--- This is why AARP was all for it. They also were looking at the $$$$$ they would make over the new members, and their cut of the group plan they offer. Luck to you and us all, pray it is repealed.
Through these AARP plans, there is the medicare advantage, paid for by the government, that is like a supplemental with your medicare. Thanks to Obama we acquired that much for the aging and aged American workers. Thanks to AARP for trying to help seniors, veterans and disabled people, by trying to get bills passed. It's nice to have something for our own people rather than the people overseas. To get medicare advantage, you must call the social security number on your check statement. YOu have to ask for it. Most older Americans pay high premiums for supplemental.
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#155 Oct 19, 2010
Syndi wrote:
<quoted text>
Again,the Topix question is NOT worded correctly, they didn't do their homework. There already is a Va state law existing for the elderly and permanently disabled are already exempted in part from property taxes, it's just that right now the law has the STATE mandating what the level of income exempted is, and requires the senior citizen or permanently disabled person to PROVE to the STATE that the property tax is beyond their financial ability.
The ballot removes the "PROVE TO THE STATE" language and lets the local area decide what will or not be the exemption, and any proof that is required. Since property taxes are for police, fire, schools, etc is for local, then YES would be appropiate, two-fold: What does Fairfax county property taxes have to do with James County's, and deciding whether or not the number of people receiving the exemption is affordable? A vote NO just means continuing the exemptions mandated by the state, and continue with whatever number of state employees they have and you pay for, just to oversee the PROVE they can't afford it and the appealant process.
The tax assessments are out sync with the economy, and the times of this depression. We've not even got to the big depression yet, you should read about HOOVER times.People, whole families walked the roads looking for food. In this area, Roosevelt started the cc camps to give people work. People have forgotten the job market under Eisenhower. Japan was our china in that era. It's a sad time for all of us. Social Security froze the raises, two years in a row, but no one has frozen prices on things, and now china is raising it's prices. It ain't got bad yet, we're on the fringes, looking into the eye of the storm so to speak. Wait till the state assistance is gone that's helping the people now who have lost jobs and have lost homes. This area ain't seen nothin. You gonna see murders, robberies, and a day of lawlessness. People will be robbed for food. I hope it never gets that bad, but it's highly possible.Just add the depression of the 30's to the people of this day. People have changed in morals and conscience since then. The leaders of all countries, are for a one gov. monetary system. They have never liked paper. The crime in our country, a monetary control on it. How do you see the world in 2020?
Daisy

Nashville, TN

#156 Oct 19, 2010
Holton Walker wrote:
I would vote YES! Make the old people and disabled pay the tax exemptions! Old people yell a lot and smell bad and are always griping about everythink so make them pay the tax! Disabled people are usually retards so they wont even know the difference so why not make them pay the tax since they dont know better and then we dont have to.
I cant wait to vote so we can get rid of all the taxes and get the governemnt to give US the money for a change!
If you're an arab you might get something. They have borrowed from social security to fund the war overseas. Ain't nobody gonna have to worry about exemptions, ain't gonna be none.
Syndi

Kingston, PA

#157 Oct 19, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> It's bad enough to have to pay house payments, without having to pay a bunch of deadbeats to waste the money we so badly need to keep our homes, in the form of taxation. People come here from other states where there were high paying jobs, to this min.wage area, pay large amounts for property, and the dead beats in our tax offices and county , want to tax the natives out of here. We should go to town meetings, county meetings and vote down the waste management systems. A park in Washington county. in abingdon, that helps no one in the county get a job, the job losses in the county have been overlooked. The real estate agents are still dreaming, like the counties in the area are blind to the foreclosures in the area, and the jobs leaving America. We're in a depression, and they want more taxes. If you think Pennsylvania is nuts, you ain't seen nothing as to what is coming into our area. They hire people from Pennsylvania and other Northern states, to come down and appraise our property. We use to pay taxes once a year, now we're paying taxes twice a year at the rate we paid once.It's getting worse.
That makes my stomach turn to think they're bringing in Penn people to appraise. What is going on? Are they just hiring them under contracts to re-do the whole state? I did read that Newport News did do a reassessment of most residential properties and did seem to go with lowering a number of them.
Syndi

Kingston, PA

#158 Oct 19, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> The tax assessments are out sync with the economy, and the times of this depression. We've not even got to the big depression yet, you should read about HOOVER times.People, whole families walked the roads looking for food. In this area, Roosevelt started the cc camps to give people work. People have forgotten the job market under Eisenhower. Japan was our china in that era. It's a sad time for all of us. Social Security froze the raises, two years in a row, but no one has frozen prices on things, and now china is raising it's prices. It ain't got bad yet, we're on the fringes, looking into the eye of the storm so to speak. Wait till the state assistance is gone that's helping the people now who have lost jobs and have lost homes. This area ain't seen nothin. You gonna see murders, robberies, and a day of lawlessness. People will be robbed for food. I hope it never gets that bad, but it's highly possible.Just add the depression of the 30's to the people of this day. People have changed in morals and conscience since then. The leaders of all countries, are for a one gov. monetary system. They have never liked paper. The crime in our country, a monetary control on it. How do you see the world in 2020?
aahhh, but the Democrats just voted for a one-time $250.00 check to make up for the lack of COLA. Just in time for the election. Only problem is- the jokes on them, they can't send out the checks and have them received before 2 Nov.(not sure if one spouse is still working that the retiree will get a check, they've pulled that one before)Nice bribe try though. The COL is a joke, property taxes have gone up, the home heating oil cost is up,(plus the taxes on it) the electric utility here was approved to raise electric bills by 30% and started the billing back in June, and are already asking for another hike approval, the utility tax went up, federal gasoline tax went up, the taxes on communication services and cable/sat went up, medication costs have goneup, health care has already gone up with Blue Cross-Penn, the newspapers just went up in price starting this month, back during the high gas prices, waste management removal went up and has never gone back down with the gas price excuse, and all they claim is the cost of bread hasn't gone up.
James Bond

Charlottesville, VA

#159 Oct 19, 2010
Daisy wrote:
<quoted text> It's bad enough to have to pay house payments, without having to pay a bunch of deadbeats to waste the money we so badly need to keep our homes, in the form of taxation. People come here from other states where there were high paying jobs, to this min.wage area, pay large amounts for property, and the dead beats in our tax offices and county , want to tax the natives out of here. We should go to town meetings, county meetings and vote down the waste management systems. A park in Washington county. in abingdon, that helps no one in the county get a job, the job losses in the county have been overlooked. The real estate agents are still dreaming, like the counties in the area are blind to the foreclosures in the area, and the jobs leaving America. We're in a depression, and they want more taxes. If you think Pennsylvania is nuts, you ain't seen nothing as to what is coming into our area. They hire people from Pennsylvania and other Northern states, to come down and appraise our property. We use to pay taxes once a year, now we're paying taxes twice a year at the rate we paid once.It's getting worse.
As much as I despise taxes of every stripe, I need to call out several untruths in this statement: 1.Economically speaking, we are not in a depression, but a recession.2. Real estate and tangible property appraisals are done at the local level, by local officials,not people from other states.3.The taxes are now simply split into two bi annual bills ,NOT increased overall. If we're gonna talk taxes, we need our facts straight.
whats going on

White House, TN

#160 Oct 20, 2010
went bristol commpressors yesterday no one thier. whats going on hopefully no bad news for company.
Action jackson

Springfield, VA

#161 Oct 20, 2010
For us generation X'ers and Y'ers we are not going to get Social Security because of all of the baby boomers.

Hence, Why give old people another benefit future generations will not have.

Sorry, I cant support relief when the same people who didnt save for retirement are now leaching off my Social Security funds that I will never see because our government wont allow us to privatize
Advocate

Charlotte Court House, VA

#162 Oct 22, 2010
The baby boomers worked for their benefits. Sure there will always be those that cheat the system. I guarantee you that for every one that does cheat there are more that should receive their benefits. I know I worked for Medicaid and Medicare for years. Unfortunately life threatening disease kept me in the disabled category. I will say that when I was employed that seven out of ten people receiving care deserved it. As for the other three eventually they got caught.
We are not leaching off of your funds, we paid our money into those funds.

Since: Oct 10

Alexandria, VA

#163 Oct 23, 2010
I think that accross America "Property Taxes" should freeze on the year an individual turns 65. Texas has done this for years and for individuals who are "in a majority" now on a fixed income it is the right thing to do.

On the Veteran side, for those that are 100% disabled, unable to work, and have given all they had to defend our Nation, yes there should be some relief. Maybe/Maybe not 100% but maybe 50% if they have a working spouse, or maybe the percentage of lost income from their military career percentage is taken from the proposed tax, I am not sure but yes there should be some formitable relief.
Syndi

Bloomsburg, PA

#164 Oct 23, 2010
LuvTexas-n-OldTown wrote:
I think that accross America "Property Taxes" should freeze on the year an individual turns 65. Texas has done this for years and for individuals who are "in a majority" now on a fixed income it is the right thing to do.
On the Veteran side, for those that are 100% disabled, unable to work, and have given all they had to defend our Nation, yes there should be some relief. Maybe/Maybe not 100% but maybe 50% if they have a working spouse, or maybe the percentage of lost income from their military career percentage is taken from the proposed tax, I am not sure but yes there should be some formitable relief.
Good call there, that's what has seniors going nuts in Penn., paying $5000 a year of which the majority goes to the schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Narrows Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
stink eye Vickie 8 hr suckthis 1
Laken B Mon Laken 10
Amy buracker Sun George 3
tires Feb 18 help 1
Dana young Feb 18 Shine down 48
BB&T part of international scams Feb 17 suckthis 1
Crying over dead husband? Feb 14 Balls 12

Narrows Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance