First Prev
of 2
Next Last
flippy

Peterstown, WV

#1 Apr 18, 2011
I keep reading about narcs and a snitch so i just have voice my thoughts!! I am a recovering addict. Been clean a LONG time. I pulled some time cause of a snitch and i think its a shitty low thing to do and all the police do is enable a snitch to do more drugs!!! Cause they are either giving that snitch a way to get out of a crime so they can stay out of jail and keep useing drugs OR they pay that snitch 100 bucks each time they rat on someone and guess what?? That snitch turns around and takes that 100 dollars they made to rat on someone to do more drugs! You wanna know how i know this.. the person that snitched on me come to me and ask for me to forgive them. They told me that their addiction had got so bad that the police used that and talked that person into snitching on others to make that fast 100 dollars. Of course to a druggy that is appealing! Fast money for a fast fix!! MORE DRUGS FOR THE PEOPLE THATS ALREADY ON DRUGS!! No i even ask that person if the cops knew he was buying drugs with the money he made off of snitching and he said "well yeah of course they did" so now thats why i dont agree with it. The cops need to do that job and not get a addict that is soooo addicted that they would do ANYTHING to get that next fix!! How would everyone feel if they knew that the 100 dollars that the police paid for someone to snitch is the money that the snitch used to go buy some drugs and they died. How would that make that persons family feel knowing that the cops enabled their son or daughter to keep doing the drugs that killed them!!!
Eh really

Princeton, WV

#2 Apr 18, 2011
I dont think that is true, honestly. If it is true, that is pretty fucked up, as far as giving money to them. But, in theory it's for the greater good. For instance, one snitch is paid and the dealer is arrested, which has cut off the supply of one or more people. There, lives may be saved. Or, the users who refuse to snitch are arrested, then placed in prison, where rehabilitation can occur, or while on probation
they are served mandatory rehab, or whatever. Those are potentially saved.

Also, consider that even though drug users are usually pretty stupid I would imagine their pattern detection is at least at the basic working level. That means they'll realize someone is a snitch. Logically, the snitch will be cut off.

Nice thought though.
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#3 Apr 18, 2011
I see both sides of this argument...for the police, the snitch is simply a pawn to get someone off the street. In return, they're are supplying an addict with means to obtain more drugs, however, being fully aware of this, this snitch is now a known drug user who will be ratted out by someone else.

I commend you on your recovery. Try to look at it this way...that person who snitched on you got you to clean your act up. In turn, they were eventually caught as well and hopefully they're in recovery also.

I do understand how it seems dirty and low the way they go about it. BUT...it's serving a greater purpose in the end. I don't really see the NEED to pay snitches though.
Ashamed

Peterstown, WV

#4 Apr 18, 2011
OKAY...i am soo ashamed of this but here it goes. Yes you are right! I am now in a struggle trying to come off drugs and not to long ago the police ask me to rat for them. Offered me some money. I got paid up to 100 dollars. How that worked....if i bought 50 dollars worth of drugs to turn into them i got paid 50 dollar if i bought 100 i got paid 100 but if i bought more than 100 i still only got 100. It was sooo tempting cause i couldnt keep up with my habbit that yes i did rat a two people. I felt sooo bad i just couldnt do it anymore!!! I am now going to withdrawl and trying to stop this crazy life!! I agree the police need to find a better way to catch a drug dealer cause all i done with what little bit of money i made was run to another drug dealer and buy some more drugs for myself. So i just helped that drug dealer stay in business!
flippy

Peterstown, WV

#5 Apr 18, 2011
To i see both sides.....thanks for the recovery comment....and to everyone...i never said i didnt think the police shouldnt try to do their job to help get rid of the drugs off the streets but i just dont think paying a drug addict money is the way to do it! They need to come up with a better way because honestly since i have stopped doing drugs it has only got worse out there! I have been clean YEARS and i dont see the way they are doing slowing it down at all!! I hope they come up with a better way soon and maybe try to offer help to a drug addict other than just focusing on trying to throw them all in jail and going about anyway to do it (like paying another drug addict)!
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#6 Apr 18, 2011
yeah, Flippy, I agree with you. I'm always stunned at the number of obvious addicts out there...ones no one needs to snitch on, but they are free. Guess they can't arrest all of them b/c there's nowhere to house them all. You're absolutely right about the 'snitch method' currently being used...it's not working. Yes, it does get one or two off the streets but the majority are continuing to suffer.
I wish there was more effective, accessible help for addicts. Granted, I strongly believe you have to experience that fall to really get it and walk away from the drugs, but maybe if there was some way to help people get sober before going too far down that road...I don't know. Good topic.
jimmy

Rich Creek, VA

#7 Apr 19, 2011
wether or not the system works, the people at fault here are the dealers and the addicts. the dealers for obvious reasons, and the addicts had a choice at one time. they may not be able to stop now because once addicted your body doesnt want you to quit, but it was their choice to start using in the first place. take away either (dealer/addict) from the equation and you have no more drug problem.
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#8 Apr 19, 2011
Both are at fault...you're responsible for your own actions. I think Flippy is trying to say that it's stupid paying snitches b/c all they do with the money is perpetuate the problem. I agree. If we had enough people who would just report the users/dealers like they should in the first place you wouldn't have the situation. I see why the cops do it though...easy way to get what you want.
hawaii 5 0

United States

#9 Apr 19, 2011
Its the prosecutors fault for not trying the cases and just slapping repeat offenders on the wrist then cutting them loose. All dope dealers should get the max amount of time behind bars and the users they sell to should also. Weekends and probation is a joke, why not sell drugs and make a fortune... Nobody is gonna go to jail for it.
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#10 Apr 19, 2011
yep. exactly. dealers make such good money, spending a few days in jail here and there doesn't matter. with their criminal record, it'd be hard to find a job anywhere else either. Punishments definitely need to be tougher, at least LONGER, to give these people more of a chance to clean up their act. i don't think our jails would have room/funding to hold all of them though.
Jess

AOL

#11 Apr 19, 2011
to I see both sides, Nobody is gonna go to jail for it? People who distribute go to jail longer than rapist do. You shouldnt be stunned at the number of addicts. You should be stunned at who are addicts. Your best friend may be 1. Your lawyers children could be addicts, or your county officers children may be addicts. You are born with an addiction gene. EVERYONE is addicted to something out there. Yes drugs are very aweful thing, but stop and consider everything that pertains to a drug. For example, caffeen as well as a narcotic is a drug.

Flippy songrats and best wishes on staying sober. Hopefully, more people will get sober. You are a stronger person than what I would be if you forgave that person. But would you be clean had they not ratted?

to ashamed, maybe you should do some time now and see what you put others through.
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#12 Apr 19, 2011
Jess wrote:
to I see both sides, Nobody is gonna go to jail for it? People who distribute go to jail longer than rapist do. You shouldnt be stunned at the number of addicts. You should be stunned at who are addicts. Your best friend may be 1. Your lawyers children could be addicts, or your county officers children may be addicts. You are born with an addiction gene. EVERYONE is addicted to something out there. Yes drugs are very aweful thing, but stop and consider everything that pertains to a drug. For example, caffeen as well as a narcotic is a drug.
Flippy songrats and best wishes on staying sober. Hopefully, more people will get sober. You are a stronger person than what I would be if you forgave that person. But would you be clean had they not ratted?
to ashamed, maybe you should do some time now and see what you put others through.
What are you referring to? I never said no one was being locked up for dealing drugs....I was saying they have no where to house ALL the people involved with drugs if they truly got all of them off the streets. I know people go to jail for doing drugs.
I'm also well aware that ANYONE can become an addict. I don't buy the 'i'm born with the gene' theory. That is definitely part of it, but there are a LOT of choices one makes along the road of life that leads to someone becoming addicted to a mind altering substance.
tired of the morons

Vinton, VA

#13 Apr 19, 2011
I don't care if the whole freaking town snitches. Get out of the drug biz and clean your life up jackwagon, and then you wont be whining about snitches.
Jess

AOL

#14 Apr 20, 2011
to I see both sides, I am sorry, Hawaii 5 0 said it. Artice that reads, Drug addiction Genes identified.
Scientists in China have identified about 400 genes that appear to make some people more easily addicted to drugs, opening the way for more effective therapies and addiction control. Experts believe genetic factors account for up to 60 percent of a person's vulnerability to drug addiction, with environmental factors accounting for the remainder. The researchers focused on four addictive substances -- cocaine, opiate, alcohol and nicotine -- and mapped out five main routes, or "molecular pathways", that lead to addiction.
For drug addiction, the researchers said: These common pathways may underlie shared rewarding and response mechanisms and may be targets for effective treatments for a wide range of addictive disorders. The researchers trawled through more than 1,000 peer-reviewed medical publications that linked genes and chromosome regions to drug addiction over the past 30 years and assembled a list of 1,500 addiction-related genes. Some of these genes turned up more frequently than others in the pathways and scientists narrowed the list to 396.
I do get what you are saying, and NO the jail wouldnt be no where big enough, but I cant argue with Science. Have you ever said the words "i've got to have"? Stop and ask yourself why you have to. It may just be that addiction gene making you want that cup of coffee, cigerrette, etc.
i see both sides

Blacksburg, VA

#15 Apr 20, 2011
Jess wrote:
to I see both sides, I am sorry, Hawaii 5 0 said it. Artice that reads, Drug addiction Genes identified.
Scientists in China have identified about 400 genes that appear to make some people more easily addicted to drugs, opening the way for more effective therapies and addiction control. Experts believe genetic factors account for up to 60 percent of a person's vulnerability to drug addiction, with environmental factors accounting for the remainder. The researchers focused on four addictive substances -- cocaine, opiate, alcohol and nicotine -- and mapped out five main routes, or "molecular pathways", that lead to addiction.
For drug addiction, the researchers said: These common pathways may underlie shared rewarding and response mechanisms and may be targets for effective treatments for a wide range of addictive disorders. The researchers trawled through more than 1,000 peer-reviewed medical publications that linked genes and chromosome regions to drug addiction over the past 30 years and assembled a list of 1,500 addiction-related genes. Some of these genes turned up more frequently than others in the pathways and scientists narrowed the list to 396.
I do get what you are saying, and NO the jail wouldnt be no where big enough, but I cant argue with Science. Have you ever said the words "i've got to have"? Stop and ask yourself why you have to. It may just be that addiction gene making you want that cup of coffee, cigerrette, etc.
I agree 100% that genes have a role in addiction. Some people can try pot once or twice (or alcohol or cigarettes) and NEVER have a problem with it or want to try it again. Some people try it once and are hooked. There needs to be more effective treatment readily available to addicts. I don't believe throwing them in jail helps anything. The punishment is only partially effective...get these addicts treatment, they could easily go on to lead productive lives. Society has a certain view of addicts as outcasts and rightfully so, but this is only serving to trap these people in their addiction that much longer. Instead of casting them to the side, we need to take a more active role in turning in the addicts and holding them accountable. The process of using a snitch is crazy. You're telling one person it's ok to buy the drug and then arresting the other for the same thing.
jackie

Rich Creek, VA

#16 Apr 21, 2011
don't use drugs. if you follow this advice, you have nothing to worry about.
well

Blacksburg, VA

#17 Apr 21, 2011
jackie wrote:
don't use drugs. if you follow this advice, you have nothing to worry about.
If only it were that easy!
tired

United States

#18 Apr 21, 2011
well wrote:
<quoted text>
If only it were that easy!
It is that easy. I get so tired of hearing people say there's nothing else to do in Giles Co but drugs. Grow up!
Also concerning this topic, yes cops pay snitches, but you know what...it keeps those snitches from breaking into my home and stealing. Nothing good can or will ever come out of doing drugs so grow up, get a real job, and have a life, a good one.
just me

AOL

#19 Apr 28, 2011
i see both sides wrote:
<quoted text> I agree 100% that genes have a role in addiction. Some people can try pot once or twice (or alcohol or cigarettes) and NEVER have a problem with it or want to try it again. Some people try it once and are hooked. There needs to be more effective treatment readily available to addicts. I don't believe throwing them in jail helps anything. The punishment is only partially effective...get these addicts treatment, they could easily go on to lead productive lives. Society has a certain view of addicts as outcasts and rightfully so, but this is only serving to trap these people in their addiction that much longer. Instead of casting them to the side, we need to take a more active role in turning in the addicts and holding them accountable. The process of using a snitch is crazy. You're telling one person it's ok to buy the drug and then arresting the other for the same thing.
I agree with what your saying. But I hate a snitch. If they get in trouble, they should do their time like everyone else.
With tired

Princeton, WV

#20 Apr 28, 2011
I agree with "Tired" above. It's as simple as not being around drugs. Don't be telling your sob-stories on here, because frankly, us HONEST WORKING people don't give a shit. It isn't OUR fault that you get "hooked" on drugs. It's YOUR life. YOU control it. As "tired" said: Grow up. Deal with it. And fix it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Narrows Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote for Hillary 16 (Feb '16) 13 hr Anonymous 24
Dollar general 16 hr Yop 8
who is Jonathan Willis? 21 hr concerned 1
Marissa Stewart? (Nov '10) 23 hr Facts 35
Dana Thompson Fri Trina 39
Crushed pills in coffee Fri Shaggy 3
You may have some people fooled Fri ummmmmm 3

Narrows Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance