checkin the fiction

Beckley, WV

#22 Oct 30, 2011
He was hiding inside a small compartment in the wall of the attic. He had a gun to his head and it took them over an hour to talk him out. He was alone in the house at the time and his mother and step father were not there. It was looked into charging Albert and Viola in Bland County for hiding him but it never happened. There were a dozen or so men that brought him out of the house. I am fairly certain he did leave a note saying he was "sorry but couldn't help with the Scott/Noble case."
Justice

United States

#23 Nov 1, 2011
checkin the fiction wrote:
He was hiding inside a small compartment in the wall of the attic. He had a gun to his head and it took them over an hour to talk him out. He was alone in the house at the time and his mother and step father were not there. It was looked into charging Albert and Viola in Bland County for hiding him but it never happened. There were a dozen or so men that brought him out of the house. I am fairly certain he did leave a note saying he was "sorry but couldn't help with the Scott/Noble case."
"checkin the fiction," thank you for the clarification on the "room." I can understand how someone would call a small compartment a "secret room," especially if it were concealed in a discreet location. I can also understand the decision of not charging the parents for aiding and abetting—bringing charges against someone is one thing, getting a conviction on those charges is another. Moreover, why should the prosecutor have wasted the taxpayers' money on trying to convict the parents, who would most likely receive deferred or light sentences if ever convicted, when the odds of them having the chance of aiding and abetting him again would have been somewhere between slim and none. As far as the note goes, assuming GB did leave one, the choice of whether or not to believe his "version of events" is an individual choice more suited to individual preferences and beliefs about his guilt or innocence. Considering the circumstances, it really makes no difference—the murder victims cannot be brought back, the victims for which he had been charged with harming and duly convicted cannot be made whole, and he will never walk this Earth again.
checkin the facts

Princeton, WV

#24 Nov 13, 2011
it seems as if "justice" has it all figured out, or so they believe that they do...as to some of the other questions asked... no i am not a relative i did grow up around here. i helped clean out the residence between owners. george bird was hiding in the attic between the chimney and the corner with a 12 gauge shot gun held in front of himself military style center holt pulled tight to where the gun touched his forehead facing the ceiling. there was a secret area in the house but it was not in the walls it was on the front porch under a secret panel complete with electricity food water and sealed containers for bodily waste. enough supplies for 3 months.he was charged with alot of crimes some of which he was later charged with but was in school at the time they happened. and other crimes happened while he was locked up and after his death all of which had the same m.o. i have seen alot of the paperwork from the actual trials hearings and all charges. also original m.e. reports from his hanging and after with the ones filed with the courts. i have also seen documents stating how the guns taken from the house were "lost" none of which were involved in the case at all. the house was 18 miles up wolf creek and one of the double murders happened 3 miles up the creek at the old dumpster site. the two who was murdered he was charged with but the charges where dropped after george birds death due to lack of evidence and leads leaning to a drug related death. i can tell you no more you can believe what you will, i only know what i have seen and read. until i see something more compelling this is where i stand. good luck with your quest for the answers you seek.
Justice

United States

#25 Nov 16, 2011
checkin the facts wrote:
it seems as if "justice" has it all figured out, or so they believe that they do...as to some of the other questions asked... no i am not a relative i did grow up around here. i helped clean out the residence between owners. george bird was hiding in the attic between the chimney and the corner with a 12 gauge shot gun held in front of himself military style center holt pulled tight to where the gun touched his forehead facing the ceiling. there was a secret area in the house but it was not in the walls it was on the front porch under a secret panel complete with electricity food water and sealed containers for bodily waste. enough supplies for 3 months.he was charged with alot of crimes some of which he was later charged with but was in school at the time they happened. and other crimes happened while he was locked up and after his death all of which had the same m.o. i have seen alot of the paperwork from the actual trials hearings and all charges. also original m.e. reports from his hanging and after with the ones filed with the courts. i have also seen documents stating how the guns taken from the house were "lost" none of which were involved in the case at all. the house was 18 miles up wolf creek and one of the double murders happened 3 miles up the creek at the old dumpster site. the two who was murdered he was charged with but the charges where dropped after george birds death due to lack of evidence and leads leaning to a drug related death. i can tell you no more you can believe what you will, i only know what i have seen and read. until i see something more compelling this is where i stand. good luck with your quest for the answers you seek.
"checkin the facts," thank you for your post. It is especially helpful since you have direct knowledge about GB. However, no, I do not believe that I have "it all figured out." First, I really no longer have a dog in this fight. Once he was dispatched, either through his own initiative or someone else's my interest in him ended at that time. Nevertheless, I do recognize that there are others whose interests and imaginations will wax and wane, and eventually these people will romanticize GB and his actions regardless of how repugnant they were. Contemporary history is replete with examples of this: Richard Ramirez, the "Night Stalker," and Ted Bundy just to name two who have been romanticized. Second, most of the discussion about GB's potential involvement in the "Wolf Creek Murders" (mine input included!) has been speculation, and speculation a polite word for "shooting the bullshit."

Nevertheless, I DO KNOW these facts:(1) GB did some reprehensible things, such as rape and brutalize a friend of mine,(2) GB escaped from custody, was on loose for a period time, was recaptured, incarcerated again, and (3) GB is now dead.

As far as GB's involvement in the Wolf Creek Murders or other crimes mentioned in the threads about him, I don't believe that anyone has all the facts. However, there can be no doubt that first-hand knowledge of his involvement died with him. Still, the circumstances are such that GB is a good candidate for being the perpetrator of these heinous acts, and that makes him a good candidate to speculate about.

Also, I, like many others, would like to think that GB did commit the Wolf Creek Murders. At least he is dead, and believing that he committed these acts allows us to feel more comfortable thinking that the perpetrator may no longer walk among us.
DNA

Beckley, WV

#26 Jan 11, 2012
I wonder if DNA could still be obtained from the bodies after this much time? It seems like that would answer the question if Mr. Bird was involved or not.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#27 Jan 19, 2012
checkin the facts wrote:
well now that everyone thinks they know it all lets get into the facts. yes he was convicted and sent to jail for the rape of a child the blood found on him was his own he was going to that house to meet a female friend who wasnt there. he actually didnt even go in but he was seen at the house. the conviction was made without any real evidence the little girl was not killed and later on the deathbed one of her uncles confessed to the rape that george was charged with. as far as the murders that he was later convicted of the night he broke out of the correctional facility there was a double murder which was from a drug deal gone bad but because of the police and their award winning detective skills back then they believed it was george but what they didnt disclose was that they had the fire put out before he actually broke out but since they had no clue and george had just been reported to have escaped and they knew he would be heading that direction they said he had committed the murders. after they found him hiding in his mothers attic which took three counties of law enforcement two states and the national guard to catch him he was locked up again. 5 months had passed and he hung himself with of all things a belt. as we all know all inmates are stripped of such things. but please do not take my word for it it all is actually public record do the research.the facts are all there if you dig for them.
It is true that George was there to see a woman. But know one knows weather it was the older woman who lived there or a woman who lived in one of the other houses up there. George actually never went up to the house itself. He only went to the front of the garage which was below the house. It is not true that one of the little girls uncles confessed to the rape on his death bed. It is true that shortly after the rape the girls father was told to leave Giles county and not to come back
Get a Clue

Blacksburg, VA

#28 Jan 23, 2012
George also tried to abduct a young couple in the Tazwwell or Bland area and used a .22 pistol. The couple escaped when the male wrecked the car on purpose. He drove the car into a gas pump at a store. The man was evil. The man was involved in severasl violent crimes with assaulting women. He not only would rape them but would often beat them and choke them. AS with most killers his first few attempts at killing were kind of botched to say the least. Have no opinion of his family or friends but as for George he was a threat as long as he was breathing. Checkin thge facts, sorry if this hits close to home but the kids found up Wolf Creek were killed by Bird. Was the exact senerio as the two he abducted but got away. The male was set on fire in the truck and the girl was found face down in the creek.Also it appeared that the male was still alive when he was set on fire. You do the math as to the caracter of the person who did such a thing. AND there were no murders or abduction while he was in jail or after he was dead. They all happened when George was out and about.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#29 Jan 23, 2012
Get a Clue wrote:
George also tried to abduct a young couple in the Tazwwell or Bland area and used a .22 pistol. The couple escaped when the male wrecked the car on purpose. He drove the car into a gas pump at a store. The man was evil. The man was involved in severasl violent crimes with assaulting women. He not only would rape them but would often beat them and choke them. AS with most killers his first few attempts at killing were kind of botched to say the least. Have no opinion of his family or friends but as for George he was a threat as long as he was breathing. Checkin thge facts, sorry if this hits close to home but the kids found up Wolf Creek were killed by Bird. Was the exact senerio as the two he abducted but got away. The male was set on fire in the truck and the girl was found face down in the creek.Also it appeared that the male was still alive when he was set on fire. You do the math as to the caracter of the person who did such a thing. AND there were no murders or abduction while he was in jail or after he was dead. They all happened when George was out and about.
I have no knowledge of the couple you say he tried to abduct in Tazewell or Bland county. I do know of the couple up on Wolf Creek toward the Bland county line .I lived in Narrows at that time. But if I’m not mistaken George was in jail at that time. He broke out of jail the day after this crime Happened. I didn’t know George Bird are any of his family. But I do know the family of the little girl they said he raped real well. I don’t know if George did all the things that they said he did or not. I do know that there where several people running around back then that where capable of doing these thing
herewegoagain

Rocky Mount, VA

#30 Jan 24, 2012
Once and for all....George Bird escaped the Giles County Jail in Feb 1977 using a saw to cut the window bars...he was ON THE LOOSE from Feb 1977 until August 1979...the murders were May 28th 1978 in Wolfcreek....the Tazewell abduction was March 30th 1979. The gas station that the boy (age 21) wrecked into is now a fire station close to the Bland Tazewell Line. Sam Smith who was the person that wrecked the car and was shot in the face by Bird just passed away a few months ago in Blacksburg I believe.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#31 Jan 25, 2012
I’m almost positive that the murders up on wolf creek happened in 1974.I remember that I was dating a girl in Narrows and she wouldn`go up there at night because of those murders. And I remember hearing that George broke out of jail the day after this happened.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#32 Jan 25, 2012
rebel1864 wrote:
I’m almost positive that the murders up on wolf creek happened in 1974.I remember that I was dating a girl in Narrows and she wouldn`go up there at night because of those murders. And I remember hearing that George broke out of jail the day after this happened.
Sorry about my typo should be 1978 not 1974 think you
rebel

Parkersburg, WV

#33 Mar 15, 2012
Again...it was 1978...but he was out over a year before the murders. I can't believe that someone that knew this man personally either in or out of jail didn't hear him talk at all about his crimes that could either connect him with these killings or could clear him. He surely had people in jail he mingled with?
haleluha

Princeton, WV

#34 Mar 16, 2012
Wolf Creek Gal wrote:
Did he live close to the town of Narrows or closer to county line? Also, I was curious to see if you thought he was as bad as his reutation suggests. Alot of people say he was mean and hateful but sometimes things get blown out of proportion. Then again, he had some serious crimes against him. I heard very nice things about his sisters and brothers...not their fault that they had a sibbling in trouble
check the court web site if you can get on this you can get on it.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#35 Mar 16, 2012
If I’m not mistaken his parents lived up Wolf Creek. He stayed with them sometimes. He also stayed with friends and girlfriends when he had one
well

Parkersburg, WV

#36 Mar 16, 2012
Not being smart but who would have been friends with him? He was a serial rapist and I am sure his name was mud in Giles County. Did Giles have a newspaper back in the 60's and 70's? If they did I am sure he would have been in it for various incidents.

“remembering”

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#37 Mar 17, 2012
Well I know several people who where friends with George. They don’t think that he was guilty of half of what they say he did. I know one guy who swears that George was set up on at least two of the crimes he was charged with.Myself I didn`t know the man so I don`t really know what he really did
well

Beckley, WV

#38 Mar 17, 2012
I would love to see a picture of this man...I am still waiting for someone that was friends with him personally or a relative to tell his side so to speak. If he was framed that is not good...however, we do know he committed at least one rape for sure and that he did try an attempted murder rape on rt 61 in Tazewell County. He has several brothers and sisters still living....maybe one of them can shed light on these incidents. He is the most logical suspect by far to possibly have committed the murders on the two Mercer County people in 1978.
greenwave4ever

Princeton, WV

#39 Apr 15, 2012
George was a psychopath and a sadist. He wasn't right in the head.
greenwave4ever

Princeton, WV

#40 Apr 18, 2012
Actually, if I remember correctly George was married for a short time in the mid 70's. I think his wife's name was Penny Mullins but I may be mistaken cause that was many moons ago.
Justice

Littleton, CO

#41 Apr 18, 2012
greenwave4ever wrote:
Actually, if I remember correctly George was married for a short time in the mid 70's. I think his wife's name was Penny Mullins but I may be mistaken cause that was many moons ago.
...Think you may be right "greenwave4ever." Wow! What a memory!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Narrows Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wallace Thrasher (Aug '10) 43 min don 240
Auto Zone (Jun '16) 17 hr Smh 4
Brandon Williams (Aug '10) 17 hr Sorrynotsorry 24
rodney hoback (Oct '10) 22 hr StupidBusyBodyFools 27
NHS Principal (May '15) Wed Needhelpnow 14
Narrows has worst basketball coach ever, EVER Wed Needhelpnow 1
Curtis lee Wed heyy 3

Narrows Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Narrows Mortgages