Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang

Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang

There are 56 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Jul 2, 2008, titled Engineer Gets 110 MPG Out Of '87 Mustang. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

Doug Pelmear said he isn't toying with the engine of 1987 Ford Mustang for the money.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anthony

United States

#41 Jul 7, 2008
to all at GM wrote:
General Motors you SUCK!! YOU JUST SUCK!!! You're cars look like
s h i t, they can't get mileage, and your embracing a B S alternative fuel made from, of all things, CORN! GM, you've got no good ideas, maybe u should look into trying to steal a few engineers from Toyota of Japan, and pay them alot more...You could bring up the point to your regular workers, "You see this? When you get results, you get paid well...And YOU GUYS AREN'T GETTING JACK FOR RESULTS!"
H e ll, maybe they should make a deal with Toyota, to ship some American engineers to Japan, to work and learn from the masters how to get creative. Then bring them back when they feel enlightened about how to change their autos...After all, Japan wants to keep good relations with the U.S., they voluntarily raised the prices of their cars so they weren't cheaper than American cars, I think they would do this. Then Americans would have a much stronger bond with them....blah, blah, blah, get your
A S S ES over there and learn auto engineering the right way...
Totally Agree!!!!!
jerry springer

United States

#42 Jul 7, 2008
Rich P wrote:
I you believe this I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I can let you have for a mere million dollars.
if it gets 110MPG i'll buy it! where do i sign??
the doctor

San Luis Rey, CA

#43 Jul 7, 2008
the euro ford focus uses a smaller diesel engine and british miles, so its much closer to 55 mpg. they dont offer the diesel here because then the rest of the euro diesels would be allowed and most every euro car manufacturer has a diesel version that gets great mileage with good power. EPA rules are the only reason those diesels arent here and GM isnt bankrupt. Once GM and Ford get a decent diesel, they will change the rules ( much like halogen headlights and most every other revolutionary design change).
I posted on the VW in the other thread on this, but I dont feel a 660 lb car with a 20 hp engine is very safe. Anyone stupid enough to believe this bozo got 110 mpg in a mustang is stupid enough to buy a 660 lb car, luckily the first accident will correct his stupidity.
dani from texas

Desoto, TX

#44 Jul 8, 2008
watch out this guy will die from a "accident", this is not what our oil boomers a.k.a. Pres. Bush wants to hear
WhatFi

Miami, FL

#45 Jul 9, 2008
Why did larger cars in the 70s get better gas mileage? My dad had an AMC wagon with a 6 cylinder engine that got 35 mpg.
Myrna Des Voigne

Los Angeles, CA

#46 Jul 9, 2008
I thought the inventor's comment "I could have sold this technology off, but then people might not have seen it." was very interesting and oh so true. I am SURE we wouldn't have seen it. I was told 30 years ago that many such ideas have been sold off and consequently put in a vault somewhere so the public wouldn't know that we could have cars that were much more fuel efficient. It's not in big business' best interest for fuel efficient cars to exist. Now that we have global warming, astronomical fuel costs and people are not buying their gas guzlers, they have to come up with something to make the average consumer happy. Who do they think they are fooling?

They have never given us alternatives in cars until now. They (the powers that be) are always blaming the consumer for problems when in fact they cause them because of their greed. ENOUGH SAID.
Barney

Champaign, IL

#47 Jul 9, 2008
Did anyone notice this was reported by wNWO?
anonymous2112

United States

#48 Jul 9, 2008
APO wrote:
You people cant be THIS gullible? Sure I HOPE he turns out to be true, but 400hp, 0-60 in 3sec, AND 100 mpg? All things that engineers struggle with independantly, let alone all at once.... Proof please.
Esp an 1987 Mustang of all cars. The car does not have the curb weight required to handle 400hp. Or the structural integerity to withstand the forces of a 3 sec 0-60. It is my opinion that simply letting out on the clutch would thrash the clutch, trans and rear-end in one fatal swoop and more than likely blowing the engine as well.
richard head

Dallas, TX

#49 Jul 9, 2008
How? Going down hill?
joe shmoe

Carlsbad, CA

#50 Jul 14, 2008
Sounds cool but is it for real?
the doctor

Woodland Hills, CA

#51 Jul 14, 2008
its all publicity and will be followed by a lawsuit when the venture capital people realize they got taken for a ride. Go to the X prise site and look at the competition. the vast majority of them have proof that they are close, not just claims. It will all be over in september when he has to compete, and I dont think they will let him use the "first gear broke" excuse again.
nickq

Littleton, CO

#52 Jul 22, 2008
AW R wrote:
It makes you wonder why one guy can do this with an engine but the giant American car manufactures can't or won't do it. Pretty sad. Good or this guy I hope he makes a mint off this. Shame on the car manufactures for not being able to provide or willing to provide this already. Sounds like they need to fire their engineers.

every car company has the power and skill to make a car like this. its the fact that they have limits on how much mpg they can get out of the car. my thought on all of this is that the oil companys pay the people that invent these ideas, and the car companys, they pay them to not launch these inventions because the oil companys would be loosing money. you know what im saying? its the damn oil industry.
Bicoastal

Denver, CO

#53 Jul 23, 2008
Thank you for those facts. The story reminded me of the Japanese "car that runs on water" story I read recently, and the ads I used to see in the back of magazines for the 100mpg carburetor "suppressed by the auto companies" (wouldn't that more likely be oil companies, not auto companies?-- but they always said car companies). I just didn't know enough specifics to see where exactly this story falls down. Seems to me Popular Mechanics used to carry stories about inventors and their perpetual motion machines - can't remember if the magazine bought into them, or debunked the stories.
Cory wrote:
**Please refer to "Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines" by Richard Stone for confirmation** It would be nice if the facts were checked before a article is released like this. There are numerous factual errors in this post which can be verified in published texts on the internal combustion engine. First, traditional gasoline engines operate at an efficiency of about 30%, not the 8-10% claimed. This would mean that the "nearly five times" statement is incorrect. There are no references to the method of testing other than the "designer" claims it operates at this efficiency. There are limits to the amount of energy that can be extracted from a specific fuel, and the perpetual motion machine is still not quite perfected yet...
Bicoastal

Denver, CO

#54 Jul 23, 2008
However, every bogus offer I get in my mailbox, to make millions in my spare time, uses exactly that sort of language. "I could have kept this secret to myself, but I wanted to share it with hard-working regular folks" or etc. Some people are master inventors, some are master language manipulators. I guess it remains to be seen which one this inventor is.
Myrna Des Voigne wrote:
I thought the inventor's comment "I could have sold this technology off, but then people might not have seen it." was very interesting and oh so true. I am SURE we wouldn't have seen it. I was told 30 years ago that many such ideas have been sold off and consequently put in a vault somewhere so the public wouldn't know that we could have cars that were much more fuel efficient. It's not in big business' best interest for fuel efficient cars to exist. Now that we have global warming, astronomical fuel costs and people are not buying their gas guzlers, they have to come up with something to make the average consumer happy. Who do they think they are fooling?
They have never given us alternatives in cars until now. They (the powers that be) are always blaming the consumer for problems when in fact they cause them because of their greed. ENOUGH SAID.
the doctor

Woodland Hills, CA

#55 Jul 23, 2008
the logic as to why a car company would suppress something that would help their sales is ludicrous. But GM lost $38 billion last year without revealing the secret .... makes you think these people are the same ones that sell the penis pills on all those emails you get.
The guy is a drag racer, he talked a venture capital group into funding his "research", he has never proven any part of his story. His july4 demo didnt happen as his car "broke" first gear. in september he will have to put up or shut up, I expect thats when the lawsuit will start.
as for the rest of the groups going for the prize, many of them have proven track records and demonstrated their improvements - he stands out as not capable.
The Pugster

Sydney, Canada

#56 Jul 30, 2008
If this guy is for real, why hasnt a documented trip with a reliable reporter been made. He doesnt have to show whats under the hood, just make a pre-determined distance and have it closely monitored. I believe its "horsepucks".
Talk is cheap

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Napoleon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Defiance Dance Studio (Aug '15) May 23 dance dad 7 68
Danica Sherman (Nov '12) May 20 danicasherman2269 7
Ladies? May 1 Brandedrazor 1
News Ohio police to consider charges in Xenia woman'... (Apr '10) Apr 26 Sincerely 5
"MaryKay" (con) Warning (Aug '10) Apr '16 Blah 3
The circle chat whoever lived there in early 20... (Jan '14) Apr '16 ruck 12
Kelsey brown wired up in Napoleon drug busts Apr '16 Who is she 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Napoleon Mortgages