1 - 20 of 55 Comments Last updated Oct 17, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#1 Oct 15, 2013
Vallejo City Council candidate's views come under fire
http://www.timesheraldonline.com/news/ci_2431...

Not for the first time, Vallejo is seeing sexuality and religious views become a wedge issue in city politics, this time in the 2013 City Council race.

Council candidate Anthony "Tony" Summers, a Vallejo pastor and local transportation training manager, has found himself the target of an effort to show he has anti gay-rights sentiments.

Leading the charge is Vallejoan David Crumrine, a co-founder of a local nonprofit equal rights group, Better Vallejo. He is backing some of Summers' fellow candidates, including Liat Meitzenheimer, Katy Miessner and Joanne Schivley.

Over Summers' denials, Crumrine, speaking as an individual, insists that Summers is not only a follower of an anti-gay religious group, but "is in business" with its members.

In particular, Crumrine cites Summers' association with conservative Christian so-called Dominionist ideology activities and the Rev. Ed Silvoso, president of San Jose-based Harvest Evangelism.

Silvoso did not return several calls made to his church seeking comment. Summers is a core team member of the Transformation Vallejo alliance of pulpit ministers and marketplace Christians, originating from Silvoso's Harvest Evangelism teaching and with a motto of "from bankrupt to blessed."

Despite Crumrine's efforts, Summers has received the support of organizations like the Vallejo Chamber of Commerce's political action committee, the Napa-Solano Central Labor and Building Construction Trades councils, and the Solano County Democratic Central Committee. The latter encompasses the local United Democrats club representing southern Solano County.

And, notably, United Democrats president Jonathan Gordon, who is gay, has gone from being a critic of Summers to a supporter.

"Before I met him, I was lazy, uninformed and I was following the conventional meme or party line or this idea that all of the Vallejo faith moment was evil and all of these people were horrible," Gordon said in an interview. "That's the easy, lazy way out... It's much harder to actually talk to someone."

Gordon said one of his larger concerns initially about Summers was his alleged association with Dominionists. So, he asked Summers if he was obliged to follow the dogma of the religion, and was told that was not the case.

"He has the ability to create or interpret or lead his church according to, as he might put it, as the Holy Spirit moves him," Gordon said. "It's a coincidence that we have three of the candidates have strong faith backgrounds. But I think that that's reflective of our community. I'd rather be sitting at the table talking with Anthony than denying him an opportunity to run."

Whispering campaign

As for Summers, the first-time council candidate has adamantly denied the anti-gay allegations against him, both in Times-Herald interviews, and in a recent letter to his supporters. In that letter, Summers discloses that he has a gay niece and loves her.

Summers' denials also follow publication of an anti Summers entry, "Get Straight or Just Die," on the Vallejo Independent Bulletin blog, www.ibvallejo.com .

The Sept. 18 piece, which carried the byline of VIB blogger Marc Garman, raised eyebrows with some of Summers' supporters, like Napa-Solano Central Labor Council Executive Director Jon Riley. Union members contacted Riley after Garman's blog entry, raising concerns about the claims, which he characterized as "scurrilous, libelous allegations."

"It was an issue that had come up," Riley said in a Times-Herald interview. "We had already endorsed Tony when it came up. We sat down with Tony and asked him some very pointed questions about the issue. He responded with a letter that I forwarded to our members."
no way Summers

Vallejo, CA

#3 Oct 15, 2013
Summers has said gays are sinners, which basically says that in his mind, gays are 2nd class citizens.

Later in the full article, Crumrine says that the proof is in Summers' actions, not just what he says during a campaign. Point well taken.
Another viewpoint

Vallejo, CA

#4 Oct 15, 2013
What the TH article did not mention is the extremist views of Ed Silvoso, president of San Jose-based Harvest Evangelism --anti gay,anti choice and would force you to adopt his religion.

It also did not discuss that Summer's told Rev Bordisso that being gay is a "public sin" and more telling is that no apology was ever offered.

Summer also tried to stop the schools anti bullying program due to one of its messages--acceptance of gays.

Summer weaves and dodges but his remarks at the Democrat Forum shows he is bought and paid for by John Riley who wants Binding Arbitration put on the ballot. Below is the link to the video ( look at 1 hour 16 minutes 37 seconds).

http://ibvallejo.com/index.php...
Jump On This

Vallejo, CA

#5 Oct 15, 2013
Ariticle makes Crumwhine look like a crybaby, again. His name is synonymous with VIB gay pot stirrer. Thanks to Gordon for taking the high road. I like how Garman was referred to as a blogger, lol.
mockingbird

Vallejo, CA

#6 Oct 15, 2013
LOL. is gordon that naive or that stupid? he's still lazy and uninformed. being the weak toady he is, it was easier to do exactly what he was told to do by jon riley. it was the only way to get jon to like him. i wonder how long it will be before gordon realizes how badly he's damaged any standing he may have had in vallejo.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 15, 2013
"notably, United Democrats president Jonathan Gordon, who is gay, has gone from being a critic of Summers to a supporter."

That says it all.

Thank you Jessica for FINALLY writing a fair and objective article about the whining and garbage VIB Garman and Crumrine stand for.

That's what people loathe them for.
Jump On This

Vallejo, CA

#8 Oct 15, 2013
Keep wondering you miserable crone. Gordon doesn't need to be endorsed by you or your extremist gay friends. This article painted Crumwhine as a little bitchman bawling again, exactly like how he was wailing about Davis before he kicked yourass but good. Yeah, we know, you're not Schivley, got it.
Jump On This

Vallejo, CA

#10 Oct 15, 2013
Yes, thank you TH for spearing this crybaby and giving a boost to Pastor Summers. Excellent work!!
Sparky

Vallejo, CA

#11 Oct 15, 2013
I remember spammy referring to Jessica's anatomy in a shall we say less than flattering manner .
ben haddit

Vallejo, CA

#12 Oct 15, 2013
"He added, however, that he is not particularly worried that Summers would have a major impact on that effort"-david crumrine.
so he is just making noise again like last time he helped davis get elected. perfect, good luck pastor summers. now that it is clear this guy is a minority crybaby in the gay community, you will do fine. all his effort went down the shitter with this article.
cannon in d

Concord, CA

#13 Oct 15, 2013
Try to remember the kind of September ......

The Fantastics. Now that's show biz kids.
cannon in d

Concord, CA

#14 Oct 15, 2013
York's anatomy is in fine working order. Charming young girl.
Anon

Vallejo, CA

#15 Oct 15, 2013
What Are They Thinking?
By Paula Bauer, Treasurer, United Democrats of Southern Solano County
10/15/13

I am baffled by what is happening during this election. Baffled, saddened, sickened. Pick one; they all fit.

A bedrock pillar of the Democratic Party platform is equal rights, and this manifests in two primary areas: women’s rights and gay rights. Like most Democrats I know, I have never knowingly voted for anyone for any elected position who did not openly support a woman’s right to make her own health care decisions and anyone’s right to be who they are and not suffer discrimination in any form because of it. These are basic. Until recently, I would have thought they were unquestionable.

At its September meeting to decide who to endorse in the county’s elections, the Solano County Democratic Central Committee endorsed... four people for Vallejo City Council. This slate of four was put together by Jon Riley on behalf of Labor interests and includes Tony Summers. Mr. Summers is a pastor in Vallejo and is included in several DVDs and youtube videos featuring Ed Silvoso of Harvest International. Google Ed Silvoso, Harvest International, and Dominionism if you want an eyeful. I will not repeat the platform here except to say that Ed Silvoso freely and without hesitation interchanges the words gay, pervert, and pedophile in his lectures and sermons.

I was initially willing to believe Mr. Summers when he said he was not homophobic and was truly not aware of the hateful rhetoric espoused by Ed Silvoso. I was willing to give Mr. Summers the benefit of the doubt, even though it stretched credulity to the breaking point to believe that Mr. Summers truly did not know Ed Silvoso’s nature or share his beliefs.

Recently, though, I learned two things about Mr. Summers: 1) he emceed the 2009 candidates’ forum where he and his Vallejo Faith Organization audience attacked and ridiculed school board candidate Lou Bordisso because Mr. Bordisso is a gay man; and 2) Mr. Summers actively lobbied at a Vallejo school board meeting against a proposed anti-bullying regulation. At the forum, he told Mr. Bordisso that being gay is a "public sin." These are affirmative actions by Mr. Summers, and they are game-changers for me. Although candidate Summers is now saying that he is not homophobic and that he loves his gay niece, he has never, to my knowledge, denounced these actions or apologized to Vallejo for fomenting this brand of hate and intolerance in Vallejo.

So here is what baffles me: I appreciate that the Solano County Democratic Central Committee may not have known these things when it voted to endorse Mr. Summers, but since it knows them now, why has it done nothing to rectify its clearly erroneous endorsement? How can it allow an endorsement to stand when the person endorsed does not and can not come close to supporting basic Democratic Party principles?

For the record, and to its credit, the United Democrats of Southern Solano County (the local chartered club of the Solano Democratic Central Committee) did not endorse Mr. Summers, but its name is being smeared by association nonetheless. And others who have tried to sound the alarm about Mr. Summers have been smeared, too. I expect nothing less myself, but I’m a big girl and can take it. My problem is that I know there are gay youth in Vallejo who can not take it, and should not have to be challenged with it. They deserve better than the adults in their lives electing local officials who are intolerant of their right to live their lives and love whoever they want without discrimination and official interference. What message do we send them when we put such people in positions of power?

Sad, baffled, sickened, but hopeful. I hope for good news on November 6 when this election is over, although I do not expect the rifts it has created in our city will heal any time soon.
GOB - GAY OLD BOYS

Vallejo, CA

#16 Oct 15, 2013
More notably, Robert Litwin and Mel Gomez, two of the most influential and connected gays in Vallejo have gone from supporters to complete anti-Summers voters. They've not only ripped the signs out of their lawns, they've called every one of their friends and told them not to vote for Summers. Even their best friend Buck Kamphausen agrees, saying Summers is "A snake hiding in the woodpile".
Who is this Jonathan person anyway?
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
"notably, United Democrats president Jonathan Gordon, who is gay, has gone from being a critic of Summers to a supporter."
That says it all.
Thank you Jessica for FINALLY writing a fair and objective article about the whining and garbage VIB Garman and Crumrine stand for.
That's what people loathe them for.
Kurshan King of Moldivia

Kent, WA

#17 Oct 15, 2013
Sparky wrote:
I remember spammy referring to Jessica's anatomy in a shall we say less than flattering manner .
Fattie has said that about everyone

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#18 Oct 15, 2013
"I remember spammy referring to Jessica's anatomy in a shall we say less than flattering manner".

I remember how I told you VIB losers over and over again that you are stuck in the past, but you never listened. It's too late now. It's all over for VIB in 3 more weeks.
Cry Cry Babeeee

Vallejo, CA

#19 Oct 15, 2013
Lol, wail, VIB, wail. It won't be long now!!
Hooray Jump Start!!!
Kurshan King of Moldivia

Kent, WA

#21 Oct 15, 2013
Samuel Kurshan wrote:
"I remember spammy referring to Jessica's anatomy in a shall we say less than flattering manner".
I remember how I told you VIB losers over and over again that you are stuck in the past, but you never listened. It's too late now. It's all over for VIB in 3 more weeks.
Why Kurshan ? Is that when you are going to follow thru on your threat to push Schivley down a flight of stairs?
Anonymous

Vallejo, CA

#22 Oct 15, 2013
Cry Cry Babeeee wrote:
Lol, wail, VIB, wail. It won't be long now!!
Hooray Jump Start!!!
The GQ Slate will smash the Jump Slate to bits and pieces.
Platzer, Blackwell, Mapalo, Johnson the only real choice.
Sparky

Vallejo, CA

#23 Oct 15, 2013
It is refreshing to see the Times Herald cover the many aspects of this controversial election . The small City has been invaded by big out of town money
using this rather low income town for their own political gain , thereby subjugating the democratic process of our local Council elections . IAAF and numerous PAC's simply wish to cash in on Vallejo !
by using us as a benchmark City for comparable salaries and benefits shared Statewide by Fire Unions.
Why Valejo ? it's simple the cost of mounting a campaign in Vallejo is far less than other larger and more affluent towns . They see Vallejo as a political "dollar store" and expect to reap an over 10 to 1 ROI . We need to send IAFF and their political goons packing along with Riley's political LOON kursham who is being paid to destroy the town he lives in .

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Napa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 4 min Reverend Alan 200,615
the homeless must be driven from Vallejo 32 min Anon 27
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 2 hr gtuj 15,968
‘California Comeback’ hasn’t helped everyone 3 hr Uncle Bill 3
Cal Maritime raises new sign, next plans includ... 3 hr sam in vtown 10
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 3 hr plastic bins 5,018
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 3 hr punch tips 7,935
•••
•••
•••

Napa Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Napa People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••