Top Stories - Smoke From Threatening ...

Top Stories - Smoke From Threatening Georgia Fires Blowing into...

There are 21 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Apr 17, 2007, titled Top Stories - Smoke From Threatening Georgia Fires Blowing into.... In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

A large woods fire that started when a tree was blown onto a live power line has ravaged 10,000 acres of forest and destroyed a mobile home in south Georgia.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gen

Norridgewock, ME

#1 Apr 18, 2007
what direction is the fire going? is it still spreading?
A concerned viewer

Waycross, GA

#2 Apr 18, 2007
First Coast thank you for your coverage of the fire that is ravaging our land and threatening our homes. I have to admit, though, when I watch your coverage on TV, it seems that there is more concern for the smoke that you guys are receiving. We're sorry that the wind is taking the smoke your way and that you are having to contend with it. However, your homes and families are not in immediate danger as we are here. I pray that the wind will be kinder to you as we continue to battle this beast.
caroline

Folkston, GA

#3 Apr 18, 2007
hi how are you doin im sorry bout wat happened its sad!!!
Sarah

Jacksonville, FL

#4 Apr 18, 2007
All I Can Say Is WOW... This is Unreal.... I live in Orange Park and it is bad here....
I pray for the people....
L,
Sarah
Angela Browning

Norridgewock, ME

#5 Apr 18, 2007
I thought ya'll would like to know St. Marys Fire Dept. is sending fire fighters again today to help with these wild fires.
Cathy

Jacksonville, FL

#6 Apr 18, 2007
My father is buried in Nahunta in the Rob Lewis Cementary...can anyone tell me if that area is threatened?

Thanks,
Shaquella Burgess

Waycross, GA

#7 Apr 18, 2007
Well i live close by where the fire occured and i hope that everyone who is in shelters are okay and their homes and i hope that everyone is just okay and i thank everyone for tyring to help; all of the fire men and fire stations! I just hope they can get it down very soon!
SHERRI

Waycross, GA

#8 Apr 18, 2007
http://www.wjhnews.com/index.php
for the latest update read our local paper..the local radio station said 10 homes have been lost and one fireman broke his leg, he is having surgery today..the local people have been taking water and food out to the firefighters..God Bless Everyone..I have 3 employees who work with me and live in the Swamp Road area and thank God all their homes have been spared..But please pray for those who were not spared..God is greater than any fire...
SHERRI

Waycross, GA

#9 Apr 18, 2007
Our church World Harvest Church of God, is going to be feeding the firefighters tonight at 7:00..God Bless All of you
SHERRI

Waycross, GA

#10 Apr 18, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a site you can go to get a satelite picture of the fires in Georgia?
Carolyn

United States

#11 Apr 18, 2007
Let's all PRAY real hard we receive some rain this afternoon. 20% doesn't sound like much but we can pray GOD will give us the rain we need.
Let's don't forget the fire fighters. They need our contance prayers.
May God Bless everyone working with this monster.
Barbara Wilson

Savannah, GA

#12 Apr 19, 2007
I live on Swamp Road in Waycross, Ga, we would like to thank all the firefighters and others that are helping us. They have been terrfic, I can not express the words of how we feel for those who are helping. We on swamp road are still not out of danger. Our prayers are with all the firefighters and the people who are coming to Waycross to help.
May God Bless you all.
Barbara Wilson and family
from 4226 Swamp Road, Waycross, Ga
JVFD

United States

#13 Apr 19, 2007
This fire is out of control, they need bulldozers. Officials need to call PCS Phosphate Company out of Jasper, Fl. They have enough bulldozers with enough to share, the mor the better. The more fire breaks they plow the better chance they have of stopping this fire, i have not yet been out ther but this weekend i will be volunteering my time to helpl with the effort of controlling this wildfire.
leah

Waycross, GA

#14 Apr 19, 2007
SHERRI wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a site you can go to get a satelite picture of the fires in Georgia?
iv been looking for that too sherri
no luck yet tho
ill drop a line here if i find anything
leah

Waycross, GA

#15 Apr 19, 2007
i heard from someone today they called in fema, anyone know if thats true?
with all the kids home all day its been hard for me to keep up with the updates
The whole picture

United States

#16 Apr 20, 2007
A concerned viewer wrote:
First Coast thank you for your coverage of the fire that is ravaging our land and threatening our homes. I have to admit, though, when I watch your coverage on TV, it seems that there is more concern for the smoke that you guys are receiving. We're sorry that the wind is taking the smoke your way and that you are having to contend with it. However, your homes and families are not in immediate danger as we are here. I pray that the wind will be kinder to you as we continue to battle this beast.
It's easy sometimes to not be able to see the full picture. We here in North Florida are certainly concerned about the loss of lives and homes in Ga, but as an asmatic with severe allergies, and two children in my house with the same problem, I am happy the news is giving updates on how the fire is affected the air in North Florida. While the smoke may not affect our homes, it most certainly can kill people who have any form of lung disease.

My children and I are now housebound due to smoke and this morning electricity started flickering all over Baker County. I don't know how we will breath if we lose our ac. Everyone has already developed a bad cough.

In the meantime, I do hope the fire is controlled so that there will not be anymore loss of lives or homes, but I do not find is horrible to say that I also want to "breath easy" again.
Amber Starr Gay

Swainsboro, GA

#17 Apr 26, 2007
I am so sorry for what is happening to these familes and there homes. I understand how it is to loose someone you were so close to. I wish I could help put the fire out but it is uncontrolling. We here about it but we don't actually experence what it is like. Like I said I wish I could help. I live in Emanual County it is probily 1 or 1 1/2 hours from Waycross, Georgia. I AM 11 YERS OLD!

WE ARE VERY SORRY 4 YOUR LOSS!!!!
amber starr gay

Swainsboro, GA

#18 Apr 26, 2007
I write because i care. i care about the community and the peole. i also care about the animals.
Uncle Ed

AOL

#20 May 31, 2007
My wife and two grandchildren are in N.C. at the moment but had to drive through the smoke near Adel. It was really bad going North she say's. Will be taking I-95 South to get home on Sunday. God Bless the firefighters and lets all pray for rain.
baxley

United States

#21 Jun 2, 2007
leah wrote:
<quoted text>
iv been looking for that too sherri
no luck yet tho
ill drop a line here if i find anything
http://landsat.usgs.gov/gallery/

found sat. pic here.. just google satellite pics of waycross fires..
brought up a few for me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nahunta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NewKKK finds place to rally in Brantley County (Feb '10) Jul 20 TDS 44
retarded ware county codes Jul 16 Dalton 1
News Waycross woman charged with stealing $1.25 mill... (Jun '09) Jul 16 Dalton Strickland 37
Worst/most notorious, Waycross families. (Mar '13) Jul 16 DJS 11
the dirt-info/ex gfs/expirences Jul 16 anonymous 1
Mandy Bell (boatright) of Alma Ga. (Mar '13) Jul 14 mandy bell 8
Southern Pride Ride July 18th - Douglas Jul 13 Southern Pride 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nahunta Mortgages