Do you like living in Waycross?

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#21 Oct 10, 2007
Rebel wrote:
I've lived in this small town all my life. Yes its boring at times in this town. But you make it what you want it to be. I myself love going to the local races. That race track has been there over 50 yrs, heck thats where my mom met my dad, that was thier thing. But think about it tho if Waycross is an sucky town then just look at all the money that the race track brings to Waycross when they hold the big "Money" races. So yeah plus like one of the remark said if you hate Waycross so much then move, you use the line "Cause of my mom" well then since you hate it so much then move her with you so you wont have to deal with our small town ways...
To answer your move question? This is where my mom was born and her family, they are buired here, I would not take her from here this is her home her friends are here her church is here,To take her from here would be a cruel thing. SO I take care of my mom I have all the time in the world to take care of her, She took care of me for 18 years, Then I joined the Army, Now she is Old and I will take care of her. And as far as the race track and what goes on here in Waycross goes Well we will not agree on that!!Waycross is the same as it was 1970. The only thing that has happened is that the business have moved from downtown to US-1 South there has been no Growth. I grantee you as soon as my mom pass's on I will depart waycross as quik as I can with no sence of loss.
The Shooter

Savannah, GA

#22 Oct 10, 2007
If it weren't for the $$$ the racetrack was bringing in for Waycross, there probably wouldn't be a Waycross anymore. Forget CSX, let's build a big track and get some Nascar boys down here. We can call it the:

Pogo, Swamp, Flash Foods, Michael's Deli, Fluker Funeral Home 500!!!!

Sponsored by CSX, Maryland Fried Chicken and Wal-Mart. That will finally put the Cross on the map

Location hidden

#23 Oct 11, 2007
You see that is why I no longer go to the track, It is so small and such a waste I stop going years ago,IT cost to much for everything, My stepdad and mom use to go and my step uncle use to race there, But I was not impressed, I guess after being hanging around Nascar at a younger age meeting several drivers in Myrtle Beach S.C. when my dad was the part of the fire crew, I was aloud in the pit and back in the living quarters and meet the drivers and even ate dinner with them sometimes, so when we moved here after my dad retired and as I crew up this race track never crew on me. Matter as fact when NASCAR put restricter plates in there cars to make everyone even so everyone could havea FAIR chance I stop watching NASCAR, Racing is to see who can win by going the fastest by any means, without hurting someone else! Then GOD heard my prayers as a young man! MONSTER TRUCKS. I do not get to go as much as I us to but I love to watch them. or i will watch the BAJA 500.

“Just A Fleeing Thought!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Waycross, Georgia.

#24 Oct 11, 2007
Rebel wrote:
I've lived in this small town all my life. Yes its boring at times in this town. But you make it what you want it to be. I myself love going to the local races. That race track has been there over 50 yrs, heck thats where my mom met my dad, that was thier thing. But think about it tho if Waycross is an sucky town then just look at all the money that the race track brings to Waycross when they hold the big "Money" races. So yeah plus like one of the remark said if you hate Waycross so much then move, you use the line "Cause of my mom" well then since you hate it so much then move her with you so you wont have to deal with our small town ways...
OUR RACE TRACK BRINGS IN MONEY---Please stop!!! LOL No realy Stop before I throw up!!! First let me say it is real nice that your mom and dad met there, But to call that piece of hard top a race track!! NO WAY. If they were to invest into it and make it a real race track then they would have something Bigger longer,BUT noooo they are to cheap, you see they know there is nothing in this area for people to do so they have some little hard top for people to drive around and they ( the owners) make a lot of money for doing nothing,HECK the old people that exercise in the Wayx mall walk in a bigger circle than the race track.
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#25 Dec 8, 2007
Well, it seems that things haven't changed all that much since I left Wayx about 11 years ago!

I understand completely where you are coming from Tuvok. When I graduated high school over thirty years ago I stayed to support a divorced mother who still had a child to raise. I should've gone to college before doing that. As folks mentioned, Wayx is a minimum wage town. Even skilled workers barely get anything above that. It is all about who you are and who you know as far as what one can expect to make in that town.

The reason for that has already been mentioned. Certain families run that town and they do everything they can to keep any industries which will actually pay a living wage from coming in because they don't want to have to pay folks such wages themselves. The way they exploit folks is sad.

I got out of there not long after my mother finally decided to leave that town and move in with her younger son who'd finally grown up and left town. I am glad I did. I here compliants from folks here in Brunswick about the way things are here, but I'll take over the town of my maternal ancestors anytime.

cheers!

Location hidden

#26 Dec 9, 2007
Whitefeather wrote:
Well, it seems that things haven't changed all that much since I left Wayx about 11 years ago!
I understand completely where you are coming from Tuvok. When I graduated high school over thirty years ago I stayed to support a divorced mother who still had a child to raise. I should've gone to college before doing that. As folks mentioned, Wayx is a minimum wage town. Even skilled workers barely get anything above that. It is all about who you are and who you know as far as what one can expect to make in that town.
The reason for that has already been mentioned. Certain families run that town and they do everything they can to keep any industries which will actually pay a living wage from coming in because they don't want to have to pay folks such wages themselves. The way they exploit folks is sad.
I got out of there not long after my mother finally decided to leave that town and move in with her younger son who'd finally grown up and left town. I am glad I did. I here compliants from folks here in Brunswick about the way things are here, but I'll take over the town of my maternal ancestors anytime.
cheers!
I am glad you made the jump out of here Whitefeather, I to will leave when my mother pass's on, My wife and I use to live in EL Paso Tx, I wonder if we know each other, You say you graduated over 30 years ago? I graduated in 76 ! Should have been 75 but did some stupid things and got held back a year? Did you graduated from the city or county? Hope to hear back from you on this thread. We have some wild things here in wayx the last few days A 18 wheeler crashed into a school bus and both of them flipped over, Thank God no one was realy hurt, Then one young boy shot anther in the back... Wayx yeah we are growing? but not in the right way!!!

“Coo-Coo-Cachoo”

Since: Dec 07

Blackshear, GA

#27 Dec 17, 2007
One thing Waycross needs DESPERATELY is a bypass! It should go from the Southwest side of Pierce county on Hwy 84 connecting to Hwy 82 East / US 1 south close to Wal-Mart. I know the folks on Morningside, City Blvd. and other roads now heavily traveled would appreciate having less traffic.

Waycross is such a backward town and it could be so wonderful. One thing against the town is the new ID carding everyone before 'letting' them buy an adult beverage. I'm over 50! This is humilating and a slap on the face of freedom. We purposefully try not to buy anything in Waycross now. Makes me feel so sad. Y'all need a better Mayor!

I never knew about the Lott's and others keeping progress from the town. Shame on them. Maybe y'all can vote with your feet too and start making yourselves heard.

“Theatre Girl”

Waycross

#28 Dec 20, 2007
I've moved around quite a bit and ended up back here after 13 years. It's not so bad as an adult. There are many ways to get involved and that's what I'm trying to do here. A place is what you make it. Trust me, there are problems everywhere.

“Coo-Coo-Cachoo”

Nicholls, GA

#29 Dec 20, 2007
Back in Waycross wrote:
I've moved around quite a bit and ended up back here after 13 years. It's not so bad as an adult. There are many ways to get involved and that's what I'm trying to do here. A place is what you make it. Trust me, there are problems everywhere.
Boy, that's the truth! That's good advice: get involved in the community and make changes that way. There are many places much, much worse. Even with all our 'problems' here I don't envision living anywhere else. This is my home now and I love it.
country gal

Palm Coast, FL

#30 Dec 25, 2007
I think waycross is a very nice place to live its not a rat race like it is in fl i grew up in waycross got the okee swamp state park believe me it is really growing and more people are moving to waycross hello pogo
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#31 Dec 26, 2007
Tuvok wrote:
<quoted text>I am glad you made the jump out of here Whitefeather, I to will leave when my mother pass's on, My wife and I use to live in EL Paso Tx, I wonder if we know each other, You say you graduated over 30 years ago? I graduated in 76 ! Should have been 75 but did some stupid things and got held back a year? Did you graduated from the city or county? Hope to hear back from you on this thread. We have some wild things here in wayx the last few days A 18 wheeler crashed into a school bus and both of them flipped over, Thank God no one was realy hurt, Then one young boy shot anther in the back... Wayx yeah we are growing? but not in the right way!!!
Sorry about taking so long getting back to you Tuvok.

I graduated from Ware County high in 1975. If you were a student there then you'd probably recognize my name if I gave it to you. I was not among the most popular students there by any means, but I was known by most.

Location hidden

#32 Dec 26, 2007
Whitefeather wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about taking so long getting back to you Tuvok.
I graduated from Ware County high in 1975. If you were a student there then you'd probably recognize my name if I gave it to you. I was not among the most popular students there by any means, but I was known by most.
Sorry white feather I went to ware country for one year and Mr Hobbs threw me out because of my long hair. My wife went there for her whole life Thou. She graduated in 77, Her maiden was Teston. I ended up graduating from Waycross High in 76.And I was not popular, But people knew me because of my long hair. I had a Black 67 chev Impala that was all jack up in the rear end. Then I bought a yellow 69 cougar eliminator, Greg Sermons had the Orange one like it here in town there was only 2 of them in town. Do you remember Greg Sermons His dad owned the Lincoln Mercury Lot?
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#33 Dec 27, 2007
Tuvok wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry white feather I went to ware country for one year and Mr Hobbs threw me out because of my long hair. My wife went there for her whole life Thou. She graduated in 77, Her maiden was Teston. I ended up graduating from Waycross High in 76.And I was not popular, But people knew me because of my long hair. I had a Black 67 chev Impala that was all jack up in the rear end. Then I bought a yellow 69 cougar eliminator, Greg Sermons had the Orange one like it here in town there was only 2 of them in town. Do you remember Greg Sermons His dad owned the Lincoln Mercury Lot?
As I type this I am looking at a picture of your wife in my copy of the 1974 yearbook. It was the one I could most easily lay my hands on. I knew a number of her classmates because I'd transferred to Ware county from an out of state school system at the beginning of the 71-72 school year, I ended up having to take classes with freshmen and sophomores as late as 74 to complete the core curriculum and be ready for the senior curriculum in 75. It also necessitated my repeating a year (my sophmore year), so I graduated a year late just like you did. But I was determined to do something my oh so smart older sister didn't, complete high school. As it turned out, I was the only one of four kids in my family who did. Unfortunately, I do not recall the young lady who became your wife.

Funny thing though, my wife has the same given name (first name).

The name Greg Sirmons rings a bell, though I didn't know him. My taste for hot wheels ran more to motorcycles. At one point, about 77-78, I owned an all-black Kawasaki triple cylinder 350 which was built for racing.

I have to go, I've been called for a possible medical emergency involving my sister-in-law.

Location hidden

#34 Dec 27, 2007
Whitefeather wrote:
<quoted text>
As I type this I am looking at a picture of your wife in my copy of the 1974 yearbook. It was the one I could most easily lay my hands on. I knew a number of her classmates because I'd transferred to Ware county from an out of state school system at the beginning of the 71-72 school year, I ended up having to take classes with freshmen and sophomores as late as 74 to complete the core curriculum and be ready for the senior curriculum in 75. It also necessitated my repeating a year (my sophmore year), so I graduated a year late just like you did. But I was determined to do something my oh so smart older sister didn't, complete high school. As it turned out, I was the only one of four kids in my family who did. Unfortunately, I do not recall the young lady who became your wife.
Funny thing though, my wife has the same given name (first name).
The name Greg Sirmons rings a bell, though I didn't know him. My taste for hot wheels ran more to motorcycles. At one point, about 77-78, I owned an all-black Kawasaki triple cylinder 350 which was built for racing.
I have to go, I've been called for a possible medical emergency involving my sister-in-law.
Hope things are well with your sister in law.. Our prayers are with you and her!!!
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#35 Dec 29, 2007
Thank you Tuvok.

It turned out she didn't have the problem which had folks worried. That was a relief.

I well remember Hobbs. He was definitely a case where the fix may well have been worse than the problem ;-). Do you remember the Ware County high School walkout?

Location hidden

#36 Dec 29, 2007
Whitefeather wrote:
Thank you Tuvok.
It turned out she didn't have the problem which had folks worried. That was a relief.
I well remember Hobbs. He was definitely a case where the fix may well have been worse than the problem ;-). Do you remember the Ware County high School walkout?
YES I do? I can not Remember what it was about but I remember it.
Ben Thair

Orange Park, FL

#37 Dec 29, 2007
I lived in Waycross for 7 years and I didn't care for it much. I came from a small town and I thought I would like it. However, everything is cliquish and I was treated like an outsider. I think that's the rule of thumb in Waycross and a reason why it hasn't grown.
However, meaness is its biggest problem. I think it had some good points like not a lot of drugs and violence. And there were some nice people too if you looked hard.
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#38 Jan 3, 2008
Tuvok wrote:
<quoted text>YES I do? I can not Remember what it was about but I remember it.
I'd only started at Ware County that very year, so I was not fully aware of the all reasons it started. I was one of the few who didn't walk out for that reason. I do vaguely remember that the administration apparently tried to crack down on students at the school, trying to enforce a dress code in a draconian manner, among other things.

I witnessed one incident where a very burly coach (I think his name was Pope) lined some of the boys up in the hallway and checked to make sure that their hair length conformed to the code. Several were close, but passed. I remember them smirking at his back as he moved on. I was told by one of them that the penalty for too long hair would've been a paddling, and that the coach could and often did lift folks right off the floor with the blows. For a fellow who'd just moved down from up North, where dress codes had been dropped and some guys wore hair as long as down to their belts, that was a real shocker.

Assuming the discipline was as rigid as that in other areas as well, the folks at the top had made themselves a powder keg which was bound to blow up in their faces. I just happened to be there when it did. Maybe some reader of our discussion who was more in the know than I could help us out and join in the party.

I've noticed of late that those who write of the history of Wayx don't seem to keen to mention it. They seemed more determined by their silence to eliminate from the historical memory of the area. That's a shame. The story, and the lessons to be learned from it, including the tragic loss of what, three or four lives which directly resulted from it, should be passed on to future generations so that such things could be avoided.

If I had ready access to people willing to talk, it would make an interesting project to handle myself. That is, if I knew I could actually get somebody to carry it.
Whitefeather

Brunswick, GA

#39 Jan 3, 2008
Ben Thair wrote:
I lived in Waycross for 7 years and I didn't care for it much. I came from a small town and I thought I would like it. However, everything is cliquish and I was treated like an outsider. I think that's the rule of thumb in Waycross and a reason why it hasn't grown.
However, meaness is its biggest problem. I think it had some good points like not a lot of drugs and violence. And there were some nice people too if you looked hard.
I know what you're talking about there. I lived in Waycross and or the Ware County area from about 1970 until 1996. My mother was from several of the oldest families in Ware County. You go out to the Heritage Center and look at the list of original pioneers they have framed on the wall of the old cabin out there and you will find my Great-great-great-great-grandf ather William Bennett on that list. My aunts and uncles were fairly prominent in that town. Including one who was a multi-millionaire from business.

So my life in that town shouldn't have been all that bad, right? Wrong! I spent my whole life as an economic bottom-feeder there. Even when though I eventually became a skilled worker, and one of just three individuals there at the highest level of skill in the trade I'd learned, I still made barely more than minimum, and more often than not less than minimum wage while I lived there. Heck, I didn't even make enough money to leave and go just 70 miles down the road to Jacksonville were I could've commanded an hourly wage of fifteen dollars an hour and up in the late 70s and early 80s.

I think it goes without saying that many of the same complaints you wrote applied as well to moi. I did manage to attend Waycross College in the 90s and get a degree. And then an unexpected windfall came my way and I packed up my family and left.

Location hidden

#40 Jan 3, 2008
Whitefeather wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what you're talking about there. I lived in Waycross and or the Ware County area from about 1970 until 1996. My mother was from several of the oldest families in Ware County. You go out to the Heritage Center and look at the list of original pioneers they have framed on the wall of the old cabin out there and you will find my Great-great-great-great-grandf ather William Bennett on that list. My aunts and uncles were fairly prominent in that town. Including one who was a multi-millionaire from business.
So my life in that town shouldn't have been all that bad, right? Wrong! I spent my whole life as an economic bottom-feeder there. Even when though I eventually became a skilled worker, and one of just three individuals there at the highest level of skill in the trade I'd learned, I still made barely more than minimum, and more often than not less than minimum wage while I lived there. Heck, I didn't even make enough money to leave and go just 70 miles down the road to Jacksonville were I could've commanded an hourly wage of fifteen dollars an hour and up in the late 70s and early 80s.
I think it goes without saying that many of the same complaints you wrote applied as well to moi. I did manage to attend Waycross College in the 90s and get a degree. And then an unexpected windfall came my way and I packed up my family and left.
Did you know a Donnie Bennett that lived in Waycross? His dad owned NAPA Auto parts Store.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nahunta Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anthony murray 19 hr Kpain 1
pillpoppers (Nov '10) Aug 16 sick 11
Child Support Garnishment from Disability Check (Nov '11) Aug 3 Mary 102
News Georgia - Drug Sweeps in Glynn & Brantley Counties (Oct '07) Aug 2 BigB 8
News North Korea displays captured U.S. ship on whic... (Aug '13) Jul '16 Catherine Fender 3
Big c Jul '16 Wannakno 1
Mandy Bell (boatright) of Alma Ga. (Mar '13) Jul '16 Nasty Nate 10

Nahunta Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nahunta Mortgages