Letter

There are 53 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Jun 16, 2008, titled Letter. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Too much attention has been given to the blown-out-of-proportion, misdirected remark of Councilman Rod Tam .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Corrected Statement

United States

#51 Jun 17, 2008
Sophia,
Here is some research for you... some homework. See if you can dispute the facts.

Find out :
1) how many rapes of women of child bearing years happened in the united states last year.
2) how many resulted in pregnancy.

Sorry, but your argument of "what about rape victims" is such a typically blindly repeated tired old argument. I have not seen any stats that have ever just blew my mind of the number of women that may need to abort a pregnancy after a rape.

Here are a few links you might find challenging.
http://www.rebeccakiessling.com/Othersconceiv...

do you think Jesse Jackson is important to the democrats ? good thing he is around then huh ?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php/index....

how about a doctors view ?
http://www.nelsonprice.com/index.php/...

Some of the people that posted wrote some harsh comments towards you. Your only a kid so I will go easy on you. But the fact is you need to really research what is going on instead of just repeating what you have heard over and over from the other democrats in your life.

But like other posters I do share one view. Abortion in the USA is used as a means of avoiding responsibility. The bottom line is that if you,(you plural or as the individual) feel you are mature enough to have sex, then be mature enough to deal with the natural consequences that sex was designed to produce. Children.

One of the single biggest problems in the world today is "action without consequence." All over the news you see it every day, and I am not talking about abortion. We have 3 local lawmakers all arrested for drunk driving. What REAL consequences did they receive ? We have graffiti covering almost everything in view, your friends are doing it, our tax dollars pay to clean it up. I am tired of it and tired of having to pay for it. There are refrigerators, tires and other trash thrown out and dumped along side the road, tourists didn't do it. Tax dollars have to clean that up too. We have drug deals going down in plain sight, hookers and pi mps walking around in plain sight, and nothing is done about it. In fact pi mps are glorified as a cool term.("pi mp my ride", " Pi mp-My-Profile.com ", " www.pi mpmyspace.org ", "Pi mp.MyYearbook.com ") there are over 61 million references to the word "pi mp" on the net, and most of them are to try to make you look cooler. Do you realize what a pi mp represents ? Brutality, manipulation and exploitation. Its not "cool." One of them I know put 2 women in the hospital. Nothing was done about it. "They slipped and fell"

There are examples every day all around you of people doing arrogant, spiteful, hateful and violent things and never receiving any consequences for it. Or, may times just a slap on the wrist. And that is one of the fundamental views of republicans. that people need to take responsibility for their actions, and to be held accountable for what they CHOOSE to do. Abortion represents the ultimate form of "Action without consequence." You choose to have sex, but refuse to acknowledge that choice has consequences. If you don't want kids yet, then don't have sex till you are prepared to deal with its consequences without killing someone else in the process.
Corrected Statement

United States

#52 Jun 17, 2008
In a different direction :
For the most part, Hawaii has had a complete democrat control for roughly 50 years. If the democrat views and the way to do things was the best, then should not Hawaii be the absolute leader in the USA in regards to social policy and be "the place to be" ? instead, we have the highest cost of living,$9 per gallon for milk, hold the record for the worst place to do business or own a business, have the highest cost of fuel, have the largest and bloated public school system,(13k teachers -15k support staff !!!), the highest per capita ratio of government employees to residents (more bloat), and have 12-16,000 homeless (over 1 percent of the population. We are #1 in the country) in the last 50 years there has only been about 3 homeless shelters opened. It took a republican governor to open 8 shelters in the last 2 years. And in doing so she stirred up a hornets nest that cause the democrats to change the law and take away her emergency powers. Then the democrats cut the budget to hack away at some of the most critical spending for social services this coming year. Many orgs will be forced to close or reduce their services and ultimately it will make more people homeless. And these are only part of the list that I can think of where we rank the worst of the worst in so many things.

Einstein said it best. The best definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over, yet expect different results. The democrats in Hawaii have had a 50 year period to try to get it right. It has not worked. Yet all of the democrats here keep electing them over and over. What is wrong with this picture ?

More democrats are not going to change anything.
Corrected Statement

United States

#53 Jun 17, 2008
Sophia Chen wrote:
To everyone who has read my letter,
Thank you for taking the time to read my opinion. I never realized how many people would comment on my article and am very enthusiastic that I was able to help bring about a very lively discussion. I admit, there were some posts that I was slightly annoyed with, but I understand that everyone has the right to share their personal beliefs, as I had the opportunity to share mine in The Honolulu Star-Bulletin. There is probably not a single issue in life that everyone will have a unanimous consensus on, and I acknowledge the different beliefs we all have. To conclude, I just wanted to thank everyone who has written about my letter--to those who supported me and ESPECIALLY to those who disagreed with me, for I have learned so much just from reading the unique perspectives everyone has.
Sincerely,
Sophia Chen
Sophia
Here is something that you may be able to have positive impact with. And this is in line with my discussion as stated above.

Take a look and see if you an get your peeps involved. get your myspace pages and IM list active.

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/honolulu-st...
willie

Plymouth, MI

#54 Jun 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
Dear Sophie Chen,
Most of the negative response came from Republicans across the nation. They do acknowledge that Bush has the worse ratings as President. What they try to do is put down the Democrats every chance they have. Their boat is sinking and the rats are frantic. Thank goodness that Hawaii is a Democratic State. When the USS Democrat sails by these wrecks, we will be kind and let some of these rats on board. Aloha.
You are kidding right? The DNC owns BOTH houses yet all the blame is going on Bush..what happened to the promise of getting us out of Iraq if we made them the majority in both houses? Same as ALL the promises made by the DNC, it is someone elses fault...Methinks the rats are alive and well and they are running the USS Democrat.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#55 Jun 17, 2008
Kailua Resident wrote:
<quoted text> Really - I guess every citizen (but you), every banker, and every economist beleived in that myth huh? And American citizens acting in collusionand with the supoprt of the US military did do something! If you were right, there would have been an effort yo repeal it. But even the GOP accepts that what happened was wrong, even if they dont agree on how to rectify it!
Uh, no. The only one spouting off that Clinton balanced the budget have been the Democrats. Economists AND bankers have said that Clinton had added social security earnings and it's interest accumulation to the federal budget (Which is supposed to be separate) in order create the "appearance" of a budget surplus.

As for the "Apology Resolution", Senators Inouye, Akaka and Representative Abercrombie had misinformed members of Congress on exactly what had happened on 16 January 1893. And they're still doing it in trying to get the Akaka bill passed.

Yes, what had happened on this date was wrong and shouldn't have happened but the United States wasn't involved, so there was no reason for us to apologize.

As is always the case, the Democrats will placate and pander to get support and votes, even if it means lying and deceiving to get them.

Location hidden

#56 Jun 17, 2008
Kailua Resident wrote:
<quoted text> All estmiates re that the oil in thse places would last us a few years at best. Then we will be in the exact same prediciment. Why dont we bite the bullet and switch over to renewable sources of energy now - our children will thank us for it!
Here you go again... WHO said that the estimates would only last us a few years? The Democrats in Congress? The Sierra Club? The anti-business, liberal leading misinformers from the Left?

Scientists have conducted tests there and have stated that the oil reserves in Alaska are greater than what Saudi Arabia has. The liberal ecological groups, while their beliefs are in the right place to protect our Earth, have gone to far with misinformation and shoddy facts in order to push their agenda on businesses.

The Democrats in Congress are either too stupid to know what needs to be done or are being paid off by those in the oil business who stand to lose profits from the Middle East, South America and Asia if a new market from Alaska (As well as off the coasts of California and Florida, and in West Virginia) would open up.

While you are correct, "Kailua Resident" in pushing for alternative energies. The real world of today demands that we continue using oil for energy. It isn't just cars that need oil. Generating electricity, using rail systems, lighting your homes and creating products, one way or another, requires the use of oil.

Location hidden

#57 Jun 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
Dear Sophie Chen,
Most of the negative response came from Republicans across the nation. They do acknowledge that Bush has the worse ratings as President. What they try to do is put down the Democrats every chance they have. Their boat is sinking and the rats are frantic. Thank goodness that Hawaii is a Democratic State. When the USS Democrat sails by these wrecks, we will be kind and let some of these rats on board. Aloha.
Uh, no. The reason there is so much static about the Democrats is because, as far as Hawai'i is concerned, they have been in the majority for the last 54 years and what have we to gain from it? Higher taxes and more regulations? A third rate, worst in the Nation, public education system? Third world rate roads that our high gasoline taxes are supposed to be used for it's maintainance?

A higher cost of living and higher shipping prices because the Democrats placate to the union organizations and Matson and refuses to repeal or amend the "Jones Act", more people are living on our beaches and in our parks because they can't afford to make ends meet, small "Mom & Pop" business have been closing down, dramatically, for the last 15 years because they cannot afford to pay the higher and higher taxes, and many of our young and talented college graduates have fled to the mainland because they can no longer get by with our high cost of living.

Thank goodness Hawai'i is a Democratic state?

Yeah, right.

Location hidden

#58 Jun 17, 2008
Corrected Statement wrote:
1) how many rapes of women of child bearing years happened in the united states last year. 2) how many resulted in pregnancy. Sorry, but your argument of "what about rape victims" is such a typically blindly repeated tired old argument. I have not seen any stats that have ever just blew my mind of the number of women that may need to abort a pregnancy after a rape.
its consequences without killing someone else in the process.
"Corrected Statement", thank you for providing the links for these websites, great tools to show why abortion, for any reason, is wrong. Nobody can't fault the innocent child for what the rapist had done. These arguments from the Left that abortion should be legal because of rape or because of "health reasons" are weak, just like every other liberal argument.

You have solidified my beliefs here, thank you!
Justice

Kailua, HI

#59 Jun 17, 2008
willie wrote:
<quoted text>
You are kidding right? The DNC owns BOTH houses yet all the blame is going on Bush..what happened to the promise of getting us out of Iraq if we made them the majority in both houses? Same as ALL the promises made by the DNC, it is someone elses fault...Methinks the rats are alive and well and they are running the USS Democrat.
Dude, the DNC did not own both houses when the fiasco in Iraq happened. Why didn't they impeach Bush, because Cheney was in the shadows drowling his chops. He would take over. Storms happening all over the U.S. right now, but bushies out visiting Europe like a lame duck as he is. Wait he's been a LAME DUCK for the last 8 years.......Time for change.
Justice

Kailua, HI

#60 Jun 17, 2008
Eric Seabury wrote:
<quoted text> Uh, no. The reason there is so much static about the Democrats is because, as far as Hawai'i is concerned, they have been in the majority for the last 54 years and what have we to gain from it? Higher taxes and more regulations? A third rate, worst in the Nation, public education system? Third world rate roads that our high gasoline taxes are supposed to be used for it's maintainance?
A higher cost of living and higher shipping prices because the Democrats placate to the union organizations and Matson and refuses to repeal or amend the "Jones Act", more people are living on our beaches and in our parks because they can't afford to make ends meet, small "Mom & Pop" business have been closing down, dramatically, for the last 15 years because they cannot afford to pay the higher and higher taxes, and many of our young and talented college graduates have fled to the mainland because they can no longer get by with our high cost of living.
Thank goodness Hawai'i is a Democratic state?
Yeah, right.
Then why are you still here,seabury?

Location hidden

#61 Jun 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
<quoted text> Then why are you still here,seabury?
Why? Answer is pretty obvious, isn't it? Because I was born and raised in Hawai'i and, God willing, I will die there. I'm not going to let the liberals, with their twisted stupidity, ruin our great State. Reading the many posts on these various topics, Hawai'i, generally, has conservative values.

Hawai'i deserves to enjoy the benefits and blessings of Liberty, Peace and Prosperity, just as much as the other 49 States.

It would be easy and convenient for you sheeps if we just shut up and move to the mainland, but fortunately (And I thank God for it), there are still many who know just how worthless the Democrats have been for our way of life, and little by little, things will change.

The changes may be slow and arduous, but nevertheless, things WILL change.

You can bet your ASS on it!
informed

Sierra Vista, AZ

#62 Jun 18, 2008
Justice wrote:
Dear Sophie Chen,
I almost choked from laughing at what you wrote!! You guys hate a man so much and just because we don't hate him but can disagree with a lot of his policies make us the negative ones?! Are you "hearing" yourself right now? BTW, as previously noted, the Dems who hold the majority have THE lowest ratings, what is your point?
informed

Sierra Vista, AZ

#63 Jun 18, 2008
Justice wrote:
<quoted text> Dude, the DNC did not own both houses when the fiasco in Iraq happened. Why didn't they impeach Bush, because Cheney was in the shadows drowling his chops. He would take over. Storms happening all over the U.S. right now, but bushies out visiting Europe like a lame duck as he is. Wait he's been a LAME DUCK for the last 8 years.......Time for change.
Dude, his point was they (Dems) promised to get out of Iraq if the people voted for them and when they took majority of both Houses, what have they done???? THEY have the lowest approval ratings. Nowhere did he say they were the majority when we went to war. BTW, that does not negate THE FACT they voted (give or take a few Dems) to support the decision to go to war...so should they also be held to the same standard you "impeach Bush" wailers cry? They cannot be impeached, but they, going by your logic, should also be held accountable for war crimes or whatever it is you guys cry about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Naalehu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Naalehu Theater needs saving Feb '17 irloyal 1
Election Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in H... (Oct '10) Apr '16 American Infidel 20
News Woman charged in sex assaults of 3 Big Isle kids (Sep '08) Jul '15 Miss Anon 89
News Weekly gas report: Price for regular unleaded f... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Joann jacomb 1
News 3 small earthquakes felt on Hawaii island (Sep '14) Sep '14 Ben 1
News About Town | 8-29-14 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Dody Clifford 1
News Canadian storyteller and Bento Rakugo to isle l... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jewel 1

Naalehu Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Naalehu Mortgages