Can Jackson Township afford a rec center?

Full story: Lebanon Daily News

After a heated discussion Monday night, the Jackson Township supervisors told resident Ann Gruber that she could investigate the possibility of building a community recreation center in the township.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 50 of50
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
carl

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

Dreamin wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps we need to poll our citizens of the community about the direction the township should be taking. Get their ideas and find our how it could be done, if at all. Not sure why now is not the right time to build, contractors are looking for work and their prices are very competitive. In keeping with the fiscally sound practices of the supervisors, this would probably be the best time to build. As far as rec director or a staff for this proposed project, we certainly need good people and I believe there are many people here that could be candidates. i think whoever the resident is that proposed this idea seems to have some knowledge of community and recreation.All the better for us
ahh the ole "contractors need work excuse" Just like the new IS school. BTW did you contract for you new biger and beter house yet? I mean its a good time to build.

Yes put it to a vote.. "do you favor a rec center if your taxes will rise"? Will be voted down, HANDS DOWN
McGruber

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

carl wrote:
<quoted text>
ahh the ole "contractors need work excuse" Just like the new IS school. BTW did you contract for you new biger and beter house yet? I mean its a good time to build.
Yes put it to a vote.. "do you favor a rec center if your taxes will rise"? Will be voted down, HANDS DOWN
"contractors looking for work" and "Now's the time to build"

Sounds like Kramer is offering up his expert opinion again.

He's like a dog that won't stay in his own backyard. Always loose and crapping in the neighbor's yard.
He dumped in every yard in Heidleberg Township, now he's heading to Jackson for some fresh lawn.

The idea for a Rec. Center is more about what Gruber wants for herself rather than the health and wellness of the community.
"It's for the community" sounds a lot like "it's for the children"
carl

Lewisberry, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

McGruber wrote:
<quoted text>
"contractors looking for work" and "Now's the time to build"
Sounds like Kramer is offering up his expert opinion again.
He's like a dog that won't stay in his own backyard. Always loose and crapping in the neighbor's yard.
He dumped in every yard in Heidleberg Township, now he's heading to Jackson for some fresh lawn.
The idea for a Rec. Center is more about what Gruber wants for herself rather than the health and wellness of the community.
"It's for the community" sounds a lot like "it's for the children"
LOL yeah
jumpingjackflash

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2011

How about this scenario? A high school and some teachers, board members, or fill in the blank, would like a pool, but said high school, built a new IS school, caused a lot of problems, new board members elected, etc. Then problems with underpayments of taxes for school and some communities. Reassessments implemented. School funding cuts and now possible tax hikes. So said school can't even begin to bring up subject of a pool. But , wait, someone knows that "jackson township" has a bit of extra money. Hhhmmm, let's use "someone" to implement the idea of a community center, wait, let's see if we can pull the wool over their eyes, and ask for a pool. School won't have to pay for it, although jackson township residents,(hey there's quite a few resident with a bit of money, they won't mind), will! Then "said" school can contract with the community center, and use it for swim meets, which means "said" school, can now have a swimming program. It's a win win situation. School gets a pool, by surrogate, "someone" gets the pool they always wanted. And if the school job, goes down the drain, a second career as a rec. director, will work out. Of course this is all hypothetical......lol watch and see
Ann Gruber

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 19, 2011

jumpingjackflash wrote:
How about this scenario? A high school and some teachers, board members, or fill in the blank, would like a pool, but said high school, built a new IS school, caused a lot of problems, new board members elected, etc. Then problems with underpayments of taxes for school and some communities. Reassessments implemented. School funding cuts and now possible tax hikes. So said school can't even begin to bring up subject of a pool. But , wait, someone knows that "jackson township" has a bit of extra money. Hhhmmm, let's use "someone" to implement the idea of a community center, wait, let's see if we can pull the wool over their eyes, and ask for a pool. School won't have to pay for it, although jackson township residents,(hey there's quite a few resident with a bit of money, they won't mind), will! Then "said" school can contract with the community center, and use it for swim meets, which means "said" school, can now have a swimming program. It's a win win situation. School gets a pool, by surrogate, "someone" gets the pool they always wanted. And if the school job, goes down the drain, a second career as a rec. director, will work out. Of course this is all hypothetical......lol watch and see
I have read the many comments on this article and my part of the township meeting. My request to the supervisors was to investigate the possibility of a community rec center.
I certainly am interested in the thoughts of township residents, positive and negative. If you are interested there will be several ways to register your thoughts on this topic that I hope will be communicated after the next meeting of the supervisors.
However it seems that many of the anonymous comments listed here are not factual...the last one posted really makes me laugh so I felt it was time to address some of the issues. My background in health, physical education combined with a love for a spirit of community has brought about my crazy dream for a vibrant community. I am certainly not proposing a competitive swimming pool, but rather perhaps a 4 lane pool for lap swimming, arthritis therapy, instruction for people of all ages, water polo, volleyball, etc...the rest of the pool would be a splash area for kids and families. See the pools recently constructed at New Holland Rec Center or Lititz Rec Center. I don't think our area currently would support a PIAA swim team so I am not sure where that speculation came from, but maybe residents would like to see that.???
I have spent considerable time at facilities in communities that have recreation programs and it certainly seems to enhance the community for people of all ages. I have never mentioned anything about taxes going up or any number for a cost of this project. I have been told by architects and engineers that this is a good time to build and prices are more competitive because contractors are looking for work. Seems to make sense if you have the money.
I do not have the money to do this as a private investment and am not looking to build a new house, I like where I am currently, thanks...I only pay $60 tax to live in Jackson Township, that is $5 a month. I pay lots more for county and school tax.
As far as the desire to be part of the staff in this venture, you bet..I have the knowledge and the passion. I also have many other people from our community and other parts of Lebanon County that would love to instruct, run programs, etc. They are excited about the possibility of this happening.
Many schools are thinking of dropping middle school athletic programs due to funding so this would be a way our community could fill that need as well as the needs of senior citizens as they continue to look for recreational/social opportunities. Many families would enjoy this center as a return to the sense of community that was once part of living in this area.
Will it cost money, sure it will, are families and community worth this investment? I think they are, however I am only one.
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

Ann Gruber wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read the many comments on this article and my part of the township meeting. My request to the supervisors was to investigate the possibility of a community rec center.
I certainly am interested in the thoughts of township residents, positive and negative. If you are interested there will be several ways to register your thoughts on this topic that I hope will be communicated after the next meeting of the supervisors.
However it seems that many of the anonymous comments listed here are not factual...the last one posted really makes me laugh so I felt it was time to address some of the issues. My background in health, physical education combined with a love for a spirit of community has brought about my crazy dream for a vibrant community. I am certainly not proposing a competitive swimming pool, but rather perhaps a 4 lane pool for lap swimming, arthritis therapy, instruction for people of all ages, water polo, volleyball, etc...the rest of the pool would be a splash area for kids and families. See the pools recently constructed at New Holland Rec Center or Lititz Rec Center. I don't think our area currently would support a PIAA swim team so I am not sure where that speculation came from, but maybe residents would like to see that.???
I have spent considerable time at facilities in communities that have recreation programs and it certainly seems to enhance the community for people of all ages. I have never mentioned anything about taxes going up or any number for a cost of this project. I have been told by architects and engineers that this is a good time to build and prices are more competitive because contractors are looking for work. Seems to make sense if you have the money.
I do not have the money to do this as a private investment and am not looking to build a new house, I like where I am currently, thanks...I only pay $60 tax to live in Jackson Township, that is $5 a month. I pay lots more for county and school tax.
As far as the desire to be part of the staff in this venture, you bet..I have the knowledge and the passion. I also have many other people from our community and other parts of Lebanon County that would love to instruct, run programs, etc. They are excited about the possibility of this happening.
Many schools are thinking of dropping middle school athletic programs due to funding so this would be a way our community could fill that need as well as the needs of senior citizens as they continue to look for recreational/social opportunities. Many families would enjoy this center as a return to the sense of community that was once part of living in this area.
Will it cost money, sure it will, are families and community worth this investment? I think they are, however I am only one.
In other words, you want to build this Taj Mahal of a rec center in a low population township and then force the taxpayers of this township to pay for it - all to satisfy your own personal dream.

You have yet to explain the fiscal consequences to the township, how maintenance would be handled, and have yet to provide any sort of documentation to show that there is sufficient public support among the taxpayers in Jackson Township for such a project.

And the previous assertions still remain: if you think this is a good idea, you finance it. Get investors who share your vision to cough up the dough. Why saddle the taxpayers with paying for you feel-good-ism?
jumpingjackflash

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2011

wow, hit a nerve?
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

jumpingjackflash wrote:
wow, hit a nerve?
She is long on diatribe and short on logic.

After all, who in their right mind would try comparing the high population and high income areas of Lititz/Warwick Township and Hempfield to Jackson Township, and use that as justification for a multi-million dollar rec center?
jumpingjackflash

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2011

Morbius wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, you want to build this Taj Mahal of a rec center in a low population township and then force the taxpayers of this township to pay for it - all to satisfy your own personal dream.
You have yet to explain the fiscal consequences to the township, how maintenance would be handled, and have yet to provide any sort of documentation to show that there is sufficient public support among the taxpayers in Jackson Township for such a project.
And the previous assertions still remain: if you think this is a good idea, you finance it. Get investors who share your vision to cough up the dough. Why saddle the taxpayers with paying for you feel-good-ism?
Couldn't have said it better!
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2011

jumpingjackflash wrote:
<quoted text>
Couldn't have said it better!
Glad to help!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 50 of50
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Myerstown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Myerstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••