Can Jackson Township afford a rec cen...

Can Jackson Township afford a rec center?

There are 50 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from Mar 8, 2011, titled Can Jackson Township afford a rec center?. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

After a heated discussion Monday night, the Jackson Township supervisors told resident Ann Gruber that she could investigate the possibility of building a community recreation center in the township.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Stewartstown, PA

#1 Mar 8, 2011
*rolls eyes*

Why in the world is this necessary? We have a local YMCA, the LVRT, loads of playgrounds and sports fields, a swimming pool, plenty of large meeting halls that are available to rent - what would this give us that we don't already have??

Ann, if this is such a "revenue creating opportunity" please build it as a private enterprise and get rich off of it.

What's that? You don't have the money? You don't have the assets to be able to borrow the money? Then please stop creating ways to spend others money.
Tell da WHOLE truth whack

Quarryville, PA

#2 Mar 8, 2011
she proposed this same thing for the school district( she "DID" teach at) when they were building the new school.. indoor tennis, pool etc. etc.

The supervisor is right.. it would so operate in the red BIG TIME!

She has no clue what something like this would cost.. my guess 4 million minimum.... You would need a population 6 times that to support that and if you had that population and it is revenue generating someone like Weavers building systems would do it like they did in Palmyra.
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

#3 Mar 8, 2011
I don't know what this lady's scheme is but she has no clue how many rec facilities already exist in the township, let alone the county.

This kind if thing is redundant and unnecessary in Jackson Township.
myerstown1

Womelsdorf, PA

#4 Mar 8, 2011
Typical leb county thinking..The Rec center would be a great asset to the community. If you look at the Rec centers in Ephrata and Lititz they are always well attened and a great addition to thier community. Lebanon can keep going backwards and never have any change and they wonder why the youth move out of the area. The YMCA in the city? No Thanks!
carl

Lebanon, PA

#5 Mar 8, 2011
myerstown1 wrote:
Typical leb county thinking..The Rec center would be a great asset to the community. If you look at the Rec centers in Ephrata and Lititz they are always well attened and a great addition to thier community. Lebanon can keep going backwards and never have any change and they wonder why the youth move out of the area. The YMCA in the city? No Thanks!
think about what your wrote... Ephrata, Lititz bigger populations to draw from and even they dont have what she is proposing...

but hey if she can raise the money go for it, but no tax payers money for it.
Thomas Paine

Lancaster, PA

#6 Mar 8, 2011
Come on, you gotta at least try to keep up with your neighbor North Lebanon Twp. You farmers in Jackson Twp really don't know how to piss away tax money, Sherri does.
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

#7 Mar 9, 2011
carl wrote:
<quoted text>
think about what your wrote... Ephrata, Lititz bigger populations to draw from and even they dont have what she is proposing...
Good point.

Bottom line is another rec center at taxpayer expense is not needed.
Sundancer

Lebanon, PA

#8 Mar 10, 2011
Tell da WHOLE truth whack wrote:
she proposed this same thing for the school district( she "DID" teach at) when they were building the new school.. indoor tennis, pool etc. etc.
The supervisor is right.. it would so operate in the red BIG TIME!
She has no clue what something like this would cost.. my guess 4 million minimum.... You would need a population 6 times that to support that and if you had that population and it is revenue generating someone like Weavers building systems would do it like they did in Palmyra.
I think she suggested a pool for teaching swimming to 3,4,5th grade like is done in Palmyra and other schools as part of their PE program, she was the HPE Department Chairperson...certainly would benefit our kids and also be used for people of all ages...I don't remember hearing anything about indoor tennis courts and I was at the meeting of 1,000 people where she spoke, maybe the voices in your head are talking to you?
How can you say it would operate in the red? Do you have a crystal ball? I think it is time this community steps up and improves things here. Wonder why the supervisors have 4 million dollars? And how ignorant to say the "plain people" would not use it...haha Clyde!
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

#9 Mar 10, 2011
Sundancer wrote:
<quoted text>
I think she suggested a pool for teaching swimming to 3,4,5th grade like is done in Palmyra and other schools as part of their PE program, she was the HPE Department Chairperson...certainly would benefit our kids and also be used for people of all ages...
Why does Jackson Township need a swimming pool when Myerstown already has one?
This rec center proposal is just another way to blow taxpayer dollars at a time when there are none to blow.
Dean

Lebanon, PA

#10 Mar 10, 2011
Morbius wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does Jackson Township need a swimming pool when Myerstown already has one?
This rec center proposal is just another way to blow taxpayer dollars at a time when there are none to blow.
You may not be aware of the fact that the Myerstown pool is an outdoor facility...used for 3/4 months or so at best(not on days like today)... I think I heard the rec center would have a facility used for 12 months for people of all ages with doors open to the outside for the summer and family use. Pool also used for classes in water aerobics, swimming, arthritis therapy, water polo, birthday party rentals, community activities, etc. Taxes in Jackson Township are one and a half mills...usual bill is around $60! WOW! What a bargain! We are all taxpayers...your ignorance is costing us money!
Norman

Lebanon, PA

#11 Mar 10, 2011
carl wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should visit the rec centers in Ephrata and Lititz....Lititz just added a new splash pool! Guess they have a vision there..ppl in Lebanon County can be "dim"

Palmyra, PA

#12 Mar 10, 2011
Norman wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe you should visit the rec centers in Ephrata and Lititz....Lititz just added a new splash pool! Guess they have a vision there..ppl in Lebanon County can be "dim"
OMG a splash pool?! We are definitely dim behind-the-times morons. We should put in TWO splash pools just to show them up.

Again, if it's such a good idea and such a profitable venture, open it as a private business.
Racquel

Lebanon, PA

#13 Mar 10, 2011
uh_really wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG a splash pool?! We are definitely dim behind-the-times morons. We should put in TWO splash pools just to show them up.
Again, if it's such a good idea and such a profitable venture, open it as a private business.
Obviously you are not an economics major, a private business would cost each individual more money and try to make money on every venture,a community run rec center would have the advantage of helping all members of the community and be fiscally responsible, not just to the ones who can afford it.

I don't think this idea is to show anyone up, which seems pretty childish. Perhaps you should live in a community that charges and arm and a leg for everything
Vanity Fair

Lebanon, PA

#14 Mar 10, 2011
Racquel wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you are not an economics major, a private business would cost each individual more money and try to make money on every venture,a community run rec center would have the advantage of helping all members of the community and be fiscally responsible, not just to the ones who can afford it.
I don't think this idea is to show anyone up, which seems pretty childish. Perhaps you should live in a community that charges and arm and a leg for everything
Why don't you hire some policemen in Jackson Township instead of having the rest of us pay taxes for the State Police to be your source of law enforcement?
I guess it's all a matter of priorities and/or the enjoyment of screwing nonresidents, right?
carl

Quarryville, PA

#15 Mar 10, 2011
Norman wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should visit the rec centers in Ephrata and Lititz....Lititz just added a new splash pool! Guess they have a vision there..ppl in Lebanon County can be "dim"
build it, just not at taxpayer expense

Palmyra, PA

#16 Mar 10, 2011
Racquel wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously you are not an economics major, a private business would cost each individual more money and try to make money on every venture,a community run rec center would have the advantage of helping all members of the community and be fiscally responsible, not just to the ones who can afford it.

I'm sorry, I didn't know offering services at a loss was being fiscally responsible. I know I'm pretty dim but my definition is way different.

All I said was if it is such a profitable idea, build it privately. One of the great advantages to that is you can admit everyone you want, for free or for exorbitant money. You could control the balance of profit vs. welfare.

You won't admit it, but why do you keep insisting on using public money?
McGruber

Detroit, MI

#17 Mar 10, 2011
Maybe Ann Gruber should team up with Howard Kramer and run for Elco School Board. Just what the district needs. 2 Bully's on the Board.
For God sake, give it a rest. It was a bad idea 3 years ago Ann and it's an even worse idea now.
If you really want this and believe that this is what Myerstown really needs or would use, than figure out a way to make it happen.
You get the funding.
Ask Kramer for the money.
Better yet, ask him for HIS money. See how far you get.
Really Ann, your timing is terrible.

RecGruber

Lebanon, PA

#18 Mar 11, 2011
Why is it that people in this area have tunnel vision? Where I came from this would have been a good idea for our community. Whoever this person is that proposed this idea is brilliant.
And now is a great time to put plans together and build because I hear construction work is down in our area. Another plus, Jackson has the land, they have money and whatever ideas get done for this building would be delightful for this area. As an older resident of the township I would like to see this happen for all of us.
I think residents would be willing to look at the concept and decide how to get it done.
Let's broaden our horizens in a beautiful county.
Morbius

Myerstown, PA

#19 Mar 11, 2011
Dean wrote:
<quoted text>
You may not be aware of the fact that the Myerstown pool is an outdoor facility...used for 3/4 months or so at best(not on days like today)... I think I heard the rec center would have a facility used for 12 months for people of all ages with doors open to the outside for the summer and family use. Pool also used for classes in water aerobics, swimming, arthritis therapy, water polo, birthday party rentals, community activities, etc. Taxes in Jackson Township are one and a half mills...usual bill is around $60! WOW! What a bargain! We are all taxpayers...your ignorance is costing us money!
So Jackson Township needs to spend millions of dollars for an indoor pool??? Where the blazes do you expect to get the money for that???

If a rec center is such a brilliant idea, why don't you commie-libs find investors and raise the money and build it yourself - and leave the taxpayers alone!
McGruber

Detroit, MI

#20 Mar 11, 2011
RecGruber wrote:
Why is it that people in this area have tunnel vision? Where I came from this would have been a good idea for our community. Whoever this person is that proposed this idea is brilliant.
And now is a great time to put plans together and build because I hear construction work is down in our area. Another plus, Jackson has the land, they have money and whatever ideas get done for this building would be delightful for this area. As an older resident of the township I would like to see this happen for all of us.
I think residents would be willing to look at the concept and decide
how to get it done.
Let's broaden our horizens in a beautiful county.
Oh Puh-leeze.
Use the Myerstown school and put 3 or 4 splash pools in there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Myerstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Police blotter (Jan '09) Aug 3 mister d 2
Beverly smith Jul '16 Rick leitzel 1
News Amish Mafia returns to airwaves (Mar '13) Jul '16 d nolt awaits bi... 4
News Former Redwood Drive Resident Admits Molesting ... (Mar '10) Jun '16 girl needs help 3
News police, fire log - 8/7 (Aug '10) May '16 xxx 14
News Dixie reunion plans rev up (Jun '11) May '16 Cynnene Halsell J... 37
News Police blotter: Palmyra police thwart burglary ina Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1

Myerstown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Myerstown Mortgages