Jackson delays OK for StoneRidge project

Mar 24, 2011 Read more: Lebanon Daily News 8
The Jackson Township supervisors Monday night delayed approval for the expansion of StoneRidge Retirement Community at Poplar Run because of one official's concerns about the construction of an entrance to the campus from Route 422. Read more
Houtz is right

Rexmont, PA

#1 Mar 24, 2011
They shouldn't even allow an entrance/exit there...it's a race track. Within 5 years, and after a couple accidents and at least one fatality - a red light will be the solution. Think ahead---just a little. That will be two worthless red lights within 1/2 mile of eachother.
Morbius

York, PA

#2 Mar 24, 2011
Houtz is right wrote:
They shouldn't even allow an entrance/exit there...it's a race track. Within 5 years, and after a couple accidents and at least one fatality - a red light will be the solution. Think ahead---just a little. That will be two worthless red lights within 1/2 mile of eachother.
You may have a valid point.

Problem is that if neither the county nor the state require a traffic study, does it become the responsibility of the township to authorize one? I don't know.
studies

Lebanon, PA

#3 Mar 24, 2011
Morbius wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have a valid point.
Problem is that if neither the county nor the state require a traffic study, does it become the responsibility of the township to authorize one? I don't know.
Yes, I think they made ELCO do several traffic studies.
Traffic cop

Lebanon, PA

#4 Mar 24, 2011
studies wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I think they made ELCO do several traffic studies.
PennDot and another group already did studies there and found no problems...but that was not good enuf for houtz. must be his way of being a powerful supervisor and pissing more money away. he nos more than everyone else. just ask him.
Now Anne

York Haven, PA

#5 Mar 24, 2011
Traffic cop wrote:
<quoted text>
PennDot and another group already did studies there and found no problems...but that was not good enuf for houtz. must be his way of being a powerful supervisor and pissing more money away. he nos more than everyone else. just ask him.
just cause he wont give you rec money is no reason to bash him
Morbius

York, PA

#6 Mar 24, 2011
Traffic cop wrote:
<quoted text>
"P***ing away money?"

What are you, drunk? He the supervisors just put the smack down on that stupid rec center, and now you're bent because he wants a traffic study? Seems to me more lives would be saved by proper traffic and highway controls than a rec center solicited by a dozen retired teacher union thugs...
Let us alone

Lebanon, PA

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Herein lies an inherent problem with all sorts of little municipalities governed by non-experienced supervisors causing business people more grief. Mr. Houtz wants something neither the county nor the state requires. In this case he is literally “overridden”. Mr. Houtz has no accredited training, degrees nor professional experience that allows his opinion on traffic studies to carry any significant weight, other than he’s a supervisor. The other two supervisors should have had the wherewithal to move forward despite Mr. Houtz’s juvenile attempt at exerting his authority. Yes, if I remember correctly Mr. Moyer demanded a traffic study for the new ELCO School in the hopes of slowing down construction. As was then and is now the case, neither have/had merit. All this does is cost the owners more money. Obviously there was a concern earlier about spending money for a Rec center and the supervisors were adamant about spending funds, however in this case Mr. Houtz sees no problem making the owners spend more money on a situation he know darn well he has absolutely no control over. We do have a double standard here. As a business owner I resent such mindless meddling in business. Stoneridge had their ducks in order. Mr. Houtz tried to meddle with the order and is indeed out of order. This is another case where the township engineer should rule, not a supervisor.
Your silence

Voorhees, NJ

#8 Mar 25, 2011
Let us alone wrote:
Herein lies an inherent problem with all sorts of little municipalities governed by non-experienced supervisors causing business people more grief. Mr. Houtz wants something neither the county nor the state requires. In this case he is literally “overridden”. Mr. Houtz has no accredited training, degrees nor professional experience that allows his opinion on traffic studies to carry any significant weight, other than he’s a supervisor. The other two supervisors should have had the wherewithal to move forward despite Mr. Houtz’s juvenile attempt at exerting his authority. Yes, if I remember correctly Mr. Moyer demanded a traffic study for the new ELCO School in the hopes of slowing down construction. As was then and is now the case, neither have/had merit. All this does is cost the owners more money. Obviously there was a concern earlier about spending money for a Rec center and the supervisors were adamant about spending funds, however in this case Mr. Houtz sees no problem making the owners spend more money on a situation he know darn well he has absolutely no control over. We do have a double standard here. As a business owner I resent such mindless meddling in business. Stoneridge had their ducks in order. Mr. Houtz tried to meddle with the order and is indeed out of order. This is another case where the township engineer should rule, not a supervisor.
One of the things that Gandhi got right was his famous quote "Speak only when it improves the silence". If this project would pass without the needed oversight, people would wonder why the supervisors rubber-stamped a project without giving it the needed consideration. The reason that the law allows a traffic study to be ordered by State, County and/or local municipalities is to allow those who know the area best to do all that they can to ensure that the needs of public safety remain in tact. The thought of lumping the Rec Center and this traffic study together is ludacris. Stone Ridge is already moving ahead with a multi-million dollar project. The idea of adding a $10K traffic study to ensure the safety of the community is a drop in the bucket ESPECIALLY when they were asking the supervisors for a waiver related to the safety of this intersection. Anyone who drives this area regularly and sees the number of accidents caused in this area can see the concern. Obviously you are writing from camp-Ann and cannot see the forest for the rec-center (or in this case, a lithium induced fog). Thanks for your comments, Howard, but you missed the mark AGAIN!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Myerstown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A wilting Pennsylvania Dutch tradition: ham and... Mar 28 Fannie Pak 1
News New gym focuses on functional workouts (Jul '10) Mar 23 smashhits 6
Review: Greble Scrap Recycling & U Pull IT Yard (Jun '14) Mar 22 jeffw2243 5
Review: D S Miller Construction Feb '15 Juan 1
James A Mills Jr (Jul '13) Dec '14 CALLS IT LIKE IT IS 14
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Aug '14 daab90 3
News Police blotter, 5/1: Fredericksburg man charged... (May '14) May '14 lady 3
More from around the web

Myerstown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]