Schools face deep cuts under Gov. Ric...

Schools face deep cuts under Gov. Rick Snyder's budget plan

There are 6 comments on the MLive.com story from Feb 17, 2011, titled Schools face deep cuts under Gov. Rick Snyder's budget plan. In it, MLive.com reports that:

School districts may be forced to cut transportation services if Gov. Rick Snyder's proposed education cuts are approved, according to area educators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at MLive.com.

Lola

AOL

#1 Feb 18, 2011
Why is it we would cut transportation services first. Have the teachers taken a pay cut like the rest of the people in Michigan have? There are lots of people that have not gotten a raise in about 8 or 9 years. Our teachers are some of the highest paid teachers in the country yet we score where? In the mid twenties.---There are tons of areas that schools can cut from. For example, My school district does not share books even. Each school owns its own set, so like if they are reading Grapes of Wrath and the school does not own them they buy them vs borrow them from a school not using them.----Another example is my kids used early intervention in our district, the person would bring toys over and the district was paying like triple to quadruple what I could buy it at Toys R Us.

Gish there are tons that do not have jobs, lost in this economy, tons that have not gotten raises, our houses are not worth a fraction of what they were before. Therefore, tax revenue is not there to support what we had before. We are all going to have to share the burden. It is simple math, if you are not collecting the taxes, and do not have the money you cannot continue to spend what you do not have. If the teachers do not understand this, them fire them and get new ones that are intelligent enough to do so.
Michelle

Holland, MI

#2 Feb 19, 2011
To Lola and others,
The media has made teachers out to be the bad guys. I have not had a raise in years, do pay part of my health insurance, and in September, new legislation was passed that all Michigan teachers are required to pay 3 percent of their salary for retiree health benefits with no guarantee that we will receive them. Many teachers are still paying for their college degrees, and we are required to continue taking classes at our expense. Yes, Michigan is in a difficult position but blaming teachers is not effective solution.
Becky

Salt Lake City, UT

#3 Mar 3, 2011
Amen Michelle. Many people outside of the public schools don't actually see the cuts that teachers take.
jim jolsen

Allen, TX

#4 Mar 6, 2011
Blaming teachers and unions seems to be the norm. Now the bad guy are retirees with pensions..Seems strange that under Snyder attack the pension plan 1 mil in earnings are taxed 3500 but a meager pension of 50 thousand is taxed 2200. So retirees and working poor are expected to pay for taxcuts of 1.2 bil for business. Time to start a recall petition
What

Flint, MI

#5 Apr 13, 2011
First of Lola...slow your roll! Teachers are NOT getting paid the big bucks in Michigan like you say they are. Where do you get you information from??? Most teachers in Michigan make between 38,000-75,000. Most of them have Master degrees and paid for them with their own money. They HAVE to take 6 credits every 5 years and pay for the 900 and above level classes with their OWN money in order to keep their certification. Do you know any other job that requires that?!?!? Many districts have not had rasies in 5-8 years! Not sure what district you are from but most schools share books, borrow books, trade books and would do anything to get books in their students hands!!!!
Funny how our Dr"s, lawyers,Superintendants, and State Superintendants make 100,000+ and no one bothers taking from them?!?!?! And now the ones who TEACH, RAISE, and NURTURE our CHILDREN and make a DIFFERNCE are the ones taking the HIT in their pay checks. Such a shame!!! Thank you Mr. SNYDER :(
Concerned

Allegan, MI

#6 Apr 15, 2011
I cannot believe that someone who makes 50,000 a year with a Master's degree, and more education to come is being criticized because they have not had a paycut. Excuse me taking a job that makes that little with a Master's degree is a paycut to start with. The conditions that teachers have to work under, and the heat they are getting is luducrous. I cannot believe that someone making so little would be asked to take even less. If only the public knew how much of the salary was used to purchase college credits and school supplies for the students. And oh my going to school and obtaining a degree does not give me the right to health insurance, but we would pay for people with no job that are healthy to work to have it for free?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muskegon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Aug 17 Mary 187
Michael. Jackson and Michigan's Adventure (Feb '14) Jul 24 Someone 2
Looking for an old aquaintance Jun '16 D416MO 1
News Renewing Port of Muskegon: Michigan Regional Pr... Jun '16 used and abused 1
News Miss Michigan's platform to highlight diversity... Jun '16 Kelly 1
Review: All Seasons RV (Aug '15) Apr '16 Ebay buyer 5
News Christine Workman's mug shot from the Muskegon ... Apr '16 WhoDat 1

Muskegon Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Muskegon Mortgages