Great Lakes Downs to Close

Full story: WZZM Grand Rapids

Great lakes downs will shut its doors for good on November 6th. The Fruitport Township track right off I-96 has been fighting to keep it's doors open for a while.
Comments
21 - 30 of 30 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Seenitbefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2009

I have watched people take their life savings, including cashing in 401Ks, mortgaging their homes and every other form of risking their financial future to live the American dream to become their own boss by owning their own business when the SBA clearly shows that 90% of all new business start ups fail within the first year, and 95% (fail) within the the first two years. Anybody that doesn't see that as gambling is living in a propaganda induced fantasy world.
Billy Macs daughter

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2009

Obviously you can't see the BIG picture..and that the race track wasn't just about gambling. Maybe you need to surround yourself around some better people..not just watch people spend all they have on gambling. No one understands the race track life unless they've lived it. You may know all these numbers and percentages..but like I said..you don't know what it's like unless you've lived it. My mother didn't gamble, I never gambled..my dad didn't gamble..and we were all into the horse racing business. And Great Lakes Downs lasted more than your little 2 year percentage there buddy.
Seenitbefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2009

Billy Macs daughter wrote:
Obviously you can't see the BIG picture..and that the race track wasn't just about gambling. Maybe you need to surround yourself around some better people..not just watch people spend all they have on gambling. No one understands the race track life unless they've lived it. You may know all these numbers and percentages..but like I said..you don't know what it's like unless you've lived it. My mother didn't gamble, I never gambled..my dad didn't gamble..and we were all into the horse racing business. And Great Lakes Downs lasted more than your little 2 year percentage there buddy.
Excuse me but I was addressing those that were against Great Lakes Downs because it was a gambling venue...and gambling is evil without being personal.

I personally see nothing wrong with gambling and I was saying, well what I said about "gambling".

So buddy this.....
Palin is Good

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2009

No bailout?

Ahh well, it was causing global warming anyway, oh wait ! I meant climate change.

Who needs jobs anyway, thats all those damn republicans want, forcing people to work and have money, who needs that.
pj_dutchville

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

Judged:

As a thoroughbred owner....stay on topic "Seenitbefore". There are thousands of fine, hard-working horsemen and women in the racing industry. If you don't want to gamble, fine. That's your choice.

Thank you for all you do "Billy Macs daughter"
Seenitbefore

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

pj_dutchville wrote:
As a thoroughbred owner....stay on topic "Seenitbefore". There are thousands of fine, hard-working horsemen and women in the racing industry. If you don't want to gamble, fine. That's your choice.
Did you even read my post (#24)? Or fail to understand it?

I have no problem with gambling. I have no problem with gambling on horse races of any type.

I do gamble though I do not heavily.

And what my first post was about is those who don't think taking life savings, mortgaging homes, etc. to become their own boss by opening a business that the odds are will fail is not gambling, while believing gambling is bad are not thinking clearly.

Oh never mind. Your so caught up in your purview that you can't recognize when someone is supporting you in a way you don't immediately recognize as support.
Billy Macs daughter

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2009

pj_dutchville wrote:
And thank you for being a thoroughbred owner
=]
Luvboatin

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2009

Judged:

To the people in the industry; Do you have plans to relocate? I ask this because, although it is a sad day for W. Michigan racing enthusiasts, Jerry Campbell at least had the initiative to save TB horse racing in Michigan by giving us Pinnacle Race Course. I plan on visiting that track this year. Looks like a really nice facility.
I too used to work at GLD(about 9 years ago), that bullring will be missed.
I will miss the community of people over there.
Billy Macs Daughter

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2010

Luvboatin wrote:
To the people in the industry; Do you have plans to relocate? I ask this because, although it is a sad day for W. Michigan racing enthusiasts, Jerry Campbell at least had the initiative to save TB horse racing in Michigan by giving us Pinnacle Race Course. I plan on visiting that track this year. Looks like a really nice facility.
I too used to work at GLD(about 9 years ago), that bullring will be missed.
I will miss the community of people over there.
Yeah and Jerry Campbell was the one to open Great Lakes Downs and then sell it to Magna Corporation..who went bankrupt. Hopefully he decides not to tell again and lose another track.
the dutchman

Zeeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I worked at gld for 4 years before it closed best years of my life I still have many friends from my time there now they built another track in romulus but its not being used everybody wishes they could race here again but its too late anybody who worked there misses it and now fruitport is back to being a craphole again nice job jennifer granholm NOT!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Muskegon Discussions

Search the Muskegon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MI 2010 Michigan Primary Election: Did you vote? (Aug '10) Jul 23 gottondas 5,482
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Jul 12 tjj 147
MI Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) Jul 7 maeball 169
Free movie tickets! (May '09) Jun 27 barbara bellis 12
MI Michigan Felon Politician Ban Amendment, Propos... (Oct '10) Jun 25 lulubell 302
Heroin and Marijuana Jun '14 Tony Rowe 1
MI Who do you support for Attorney General in Mich... (Oct '10) May '14 Ned Tugent 114
•••
•••
•••
•••

Muskegon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Muskegon People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••