Murray Ky., vs Paris Tn.

Posted in the Murray Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
yank

Macomb, MI

#1 Jul 13, 2010
I posted this on the Paris forum and wanted to do the same here. I will be retiring in 2012 and have narrow my search for a place to retire to Murray Ky. and Paris Tn., being close to Kentucky lake is a major reason for my decision and after much research I would like to ask the people who actually live there to voice their opinion between the two areas as to why I should consider one over the other. I know I've asked about moving there, but now I'm asking why I should choice one over the other. I'm not asking for a pissing match, as I know can happen on this forum, I'm simple and honestly asking for some straight forward honest reasons why I should choose one over the other. Please stay on topic and supply me with the facts and reasons why. I look forward to your input and Thank you in advance.
Seriously

United States

#2 Jul 13, 2010
Maybe you would be better off listing what you're looking for. Have you visited both towns? I know you said you don't want a "pissing match", but by being ambiguous you're asking for just that. If the lake is such a big draw, maybe you should check out Aurora, KY.
Bill Larkspur

Owensboro, KY

#3 Jul 13, 2010
Pay less taxes if you live in Tenn. Kentucky taxes are a rip off!
hotel chick

Murray, KY

#4 Jul 13, 2010
much lower sales taxes in murray, NO sales taxes on grocery items.....There is an income tax in Kentucky (about 6%) but I doubt it would affect retired. Much lower crime (despite the recent shooting) in Murray. University in Murray makes it nice..
friend

Kendallville, IN

#5 Jul 13, 2010
I would choose Grand Rivers or Kuttawa KY. Maybe Cadiz area for Lake Barkley.
Hummm

Mayfield, KY

#6 Jul 13, 2010
not cadiz, they a full of pant sagging THUGS!
Gin

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jul 13, 2010
Murray is the best choice. Too many jigs and taco makers in Mayfield, Paris, Paducah, etc.
whatever

Murray, KY

#8 Jul 13, 2010
Paris you do have the option of going into a liquor store if you choose. Can't in Murray. No sales tax on food in KY,but is in TN. No income tax at present in TN, but there is in KY. TN does have a higher sales tax rate. Not sure about property tax rates. AS far as crime, who knows, the local paper in Murray only prints what the city council and business owners want you to know.
Route 44

Murray, KY

#9 Jul 13, 2010
Visit the two towns, drive around a bit, and you will see quickly where you should retire.
Gin

Owensboro, KY

#10 Jul 13, 2010
Paris is a virtual filthy toilet. I agree with 44. Drive around both of them and you will clearly see the difference. Paris is so wonderful, most of the Henry County population comes to Murray for everything they need and for eateries. Also, the Kentucky income tax has nothing to do with retirees.
whatever

Murray, KY

#11 Jul 13, 2010
the income tax depends on what kind of investments, so the income tax can be very substantial for some people and where the money comes from if it is taxzble
Route 44

Murray, KY

#12 Jul 14, 2010
whatever wrote:
Paris you do have the option of going into a liquor store if you choose.
Yeah, but we can drive to Paris, pick it up, and be back home in an hour...and we don't have to live there.
Anonymous Keyboard Tapper

Cunningham, KY

#13 Jul 14, 2010
Route 44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but we can drive to Paris, pick it up, and be back home in an hour...and we don't have to live there.
You are better off driving to Trigg County now. They have First Chance Liquor just as soon as you come off of the Barkley Lake bridge. From my house in Murray it is two miles closer than West Wood in Paris, and you can take the 4 lane almost all the way there and avoid the 5 mile long 40 mile an hour zone/speedtrap going through Puryear. Not to mention all the slow ass Tennessee "drivers" (for lack of a better word).

It is also a MUCH prettier drive.
Mighty mac

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jul 14, 2010
Are you kidding, Murray all the way, Paris is scum scum scum.
Cashew

Benton, KY

#15 Sep 7, 2010
People that live in Paris spend all their money on gas driving to Murray to shop. You might as well live in Murray. All you see in Murray is Henry County, TN junkers. Frankly I wish there was a fence in Hazel that would keep them out of Murray.
bca

Murray, KY

#16 Sep 7, 2010
I have lived in both towns and I can tell you I would take Murray any day.People here are much friendlier.Paris and Henry county are very redneck.If your not related they will treat you like an outcast.
billybod

Paris, TN

#17 Sep 19, 2010
Murray hands down. better community, the university, better hospital, better standard of living, more education, higher per capita income, lower crime rate, land between the lakes is closer, it has income tax but lower sales tax and no tax on groceries. Tennessee is debating passage of an income tax (depending on who wins elections) and TN is in worse finincial condition. Gov. Bredesen (TN) is calling for budget cuts across the board. also murray is closer to a decent sized city (paducah) Paris is about halfway between Paducah, ky and Jackson, Tn.
ENOUGH already

Elkton, KY

#18 Sep 20, 2010
We have entirely tooooo many YANKS in Calloway CO. now. PLEASE choose somewhere else....anywhere else!!!!!
Anti Redneck

Murray, KY

#19 Sep 21, 2010
To live in Paris there are a few requirements.1, You must be a douchey redneck.2, You have to drive a pussy s-10 truck or sonoma.3, You must be a close minded pos who is going to be stuck there and contribute to the already high amount of dumbasses who live there. Murray is better, but people from paris are slowly migrating here. Stay in Paris you incest rednecks!
RacerChaser

Murray, KY

#20 Sep 21, 2010
Live in the Murray, Ky. Paris is gross. I think if I pissed in a cup and drank it in Murray I would be better off than drinking filtered water in Paris. When I go for liquor I try not to touch anything but the bottle I'm buying. I also attempt to hold my breath the entire time I'm within the city limits.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Murray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racers women basketball 2 hr guest56789 6
Hayden Burkey 2 hr could just ask me 6
Mike David 3 hr lMAO 9
House of Payne t shirts 3 hr Tanner 4
Is a Murray bypass even possible 4 hr gggg 13
lookin for a truck 4 hr Info 7
Flash of News (Aug '13) 4 hr Dr Brian 6,218
Murray Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Murray People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:31 pm PST

NBC Sports12:31PM
Source: Browns interview former Rams coach Mike Martz
NBC Sports 3:14 AM
Rams won't get chance to interview Rob Chudzinski or Alex Van Pelt
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?