Comments
61 - 80 of 92 Comments Last updated Apr 6, 2013
morris white

Murray, KY

#71 Mar 20, 2013
Mad Alum wrote:
Let me guess...Bob J will be the finalist for the Prez and Dino's company will hire him?
Bob Jackson will never. ever. ever get the president job. Only one I could possibly see getting the non from internally would be Tim Todd.
Mad Alum

Mayfield, KY

#72 Mar 20, 2013
Tim Todd is a man of integrity.
morris white

Murray, KY

#73 Mar 20, 2013
Mad Alum wrote:
Tim Todd is a man of integrity.
It should have said nod and not non but I agree. I've always been impressed with Tim and have been surprised he hasn't left Murray for president job at another school. Maybe he was holding out for an opening at Murray, I don't know. I hope so
Seth

Duluth, GA

#74 Mar 21, 2013
Personally I'm thrilled Dunn won't continue as president after the next academic year. He was great at convincing people he was this great guy, but behind closed doors he could be an ass. The regents weren't required to even make a decision until after May, so why was he looking for jobs last semester. Also he failed all of the enrollment goals he set.

Like I said, glad he'll be gone. I'm glad my regent, Johnson, voted the way he did.
Curious

Murray, KY

#75 Mar 21, 2013
Is anyone else not curious why no other college will hire the guy?
He has been applying and wanting to leave for at least 4 years, but no takers.
When I think back to some excellent coaches/ presidents that MSU has had in the past several years, other colleges were beating their doors down and offering huge raises to leave.
Just this week Pres. Alexander to LSU.
Just curious.
Exactly

United States

#76 Mar 21, 2013
Curious wrote:
Is anyone else not curious why no other college will hire the guy?
He has been applying and wanting to leave for at least 4 years, but no takers.
When I think back to some excellent coaches/ presidents that MSU has had in the past several years, other colleges were beating their doors down and offering huge raises to leave.
Just this week Pres. Alexander to LSU.
Just curious.
I've been mute on this subject for the past week trying to get as much information as possible before I jumped to any conclusions. I still don't know why the board of regents didn't extend his contract and I doubt I will know the reason but I have to think that there most definitely was a good reason. These are some of the most well informed people at Murray State and in the past I believe they have always made decisions for the betterment of it. There must be something that they know and that other schools know as to why Dr. Dunn is not right for the job. I've always thought he was a very nice man and was a great public figure for Murray State but there's more to running a school than that. I'm not saying I'm happy that he will be leaving because the school has done well in my opinion but who is to say that another president wouldn't have done better. I will miss him actually but I have faith our university will survive and thrive in the future.
Linda

United States

#77 Mar 21, 2013
Exactly wrote:
<quoted text>I've been mute on this subject for the past week trying to get as much information as possible before I jumped to any conclusions. I still don't know why the board of regents didn't extend his contract and I doubt I will know the reason but I have to think that there most definitely was a good reason. These are some of the most well informed people at Murray State and in the past I believe they have always made decisions for the betterment of it. There must be something that they know and that other schools know as to why Dr. Dunn is not right for the job. I've always thought he was a very nice man and was a great public figure for Murray State but there's more to running a school than that. I'm not saying I'm happy that he will be leaving because the school has done well in my opinion but who is to say that another president wouldn't have done better. I will miss him actually but I have faith our university will survive and thrive in the future.
If there is a good reason then they should share it with the faculty, staff, students, and donors.
steve

Murray, KY

#78 Mar 21, 2013
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
If there is a good reason then they should share it with the faculty, staff, students, and donors.
I wondered the same and it is my understanding that the boards of all of these schools would face possible lawsuits for violating privacy issues, but Dr. Dunn is free to let everyone know why he has not been hired or renewed.
Mark

United States

#79 Mar 21, 2013
I'm glad he's going. He participates in gay groups on campus. We don't need a liberal promoting sin in Murray.
anon

Murray, KY

#80 Mar 21, 2013
Activist

Owensboro, KY

#81 Mar 21, 2013
Having had extensive experience with the Open Meetings statutes I can say that "media reports" are not evidence in this issue. Unless someone has a recording of the board members discussing MSU BOR business at a social gathering, they are spending good money for nothing in hiring an attorney.
Steve is correct in saying that if the members of board were to comment on the reasons for their vote not to extend his contract they would open themselves to lawsuits. Personnel issues are discussed in executive session and are not part of the public record.
anon

Murray, KY

#82 Mar 22, 2013
Activist wrote:
Having had extensive experience with the Open Meetings statutes I can say that "media reports" are not evidence in this issue. Unless someone has a recording of the board members discussing MSU BOR business at a social gathering, they are spending good money for nothing in hiring an attorney.
Steve is correct in saying that if the members of board were to comment on the reasons for their vote not to extend his contract they would open themselves to lawsuits. Personnel issues are discussed in executive session and are not part of the public record.
That's unfortunate since it's a public institution that depends on taxpayer funding. The lack of transparency and public accountability is not the sort of thing that belongs in a free and open society.
Warren B

Murray, KY

#83 Mar 22, 2013
bubbalicious wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when can you sue someone for not renewing a contract? About the worst that can happen is a slap on the wrist for open meetings violations. That will not change the results. Good or bad, Dunn is done.
You might be correct in your assumption that “Dunn is done” however; those who thought they could get away with not following proper protocol and procedure will have their day very soon. Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely!!!!!!!!
Dan

Duluth, GA

#84 Mar 22, 2013
Y'all need to chill out. Do you honestly believe this is the first time the Board of Regents has ever gathered outside of their quarterly meeting? Had Dunn's contract been renewed this would have never been brought up. It's just people digging for something that's not there. If it was the 7 people there that voted against renewing his contract I think the argument would have some merit but that there were people there that voted both ways and people that weren't there that voted both ways should be a dead giveaway that it wasn't a board meeting. Maybe, just maybe, it was only a social gathering as Curris has said. How do you expect a board of regents to be a cohesive group if they aren't allowed to be social together? As far as that they discussed board business of course they did. I don't believe they had a round table discussion about it but to say that MSU wasn't mentioned at all would of course be wrong. Think about your office Christmas party. Do you mention work a little? Of course. Is it the only topic bright up? Of course not. I would believe that was what happened at Regent Green's house last Thursday.
Desmond

Murray, KY

#85 Mar 22, 2013
Dan wrote:
Y'all need to chill out. Do you honestly believe this is the first time the Board of Regents has ever gathered outside of their quarterly meeting? Had Dunn's contract been renewed this would have never been brought up. It's just people digging for something that's not there. If it was the 7 people there that voted against renewing his contract I think the argument would have some merit but that there were people there that voted both ways and people that weren't there that voted both ways should be a dead giveaway that it wasn't a board meeting. Maybe, just maybe, it was only a social gathering as Curris has said. How do you expect a board of regents to be a cohesive group if they aren't allowed to be social together? As far as that they discussed board business of course they did. I don't believe they had a round table discussion about it but to say that MSU wasn't mentioned at all would of course be wrong. Think about your office Christmas party. Do you mention work a little? Of course. Is it the only topic bright up? Of course not. I would believe that was what happened at Regent Green's house last Thursday.
Either way the rules against this sort of thing exist for a reason.
MSU Alum

Murray, KY

#86 Mar 22, 2013
If the said Regents are found guilty of violating the open meetings law, the Governor has the right to remove them from the Board. All decisions made relating to the closed meeting will be automatically nullified. A new Board can then choose to renew Dr. Dunn's contract.
MSU Alum

Murray, KY

#87 Mar 22, 2013
Dan wrote:
It's the fact that not all the Regents were invited. In fact, a specific set were NOT invited - the set that were known to support Dr. Dunn. If this were my job in question, I would hope everything would be above board. If the new budget was discussed, it should also be nullified because not everyone was included in the discussion. The Open Meeting Law is there to protect, not inhibit.
Eddy

Murray, KY

#88 Mar 22, 2013
MSU Alum wrote:
If the said Regents are found guilty of violating the open meetings law, the Governor has the right to remove them from the Board. All decisions made relating to the closed meeting will be automatically nullified. A new Board can then choose to renew Dr. Dunn's contract.
Not going to happen. Beshear isn't going to break up the old boy's club in Murray.
Dan

Duluth, GA

#89 Mar 22, 2013
MSU Alum wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the fact that not all the Regents were invited. In fact, a specific set were NOT invited - the set that were known to support Dr. Dunn. If this were my job in question, I would hope everything would be above board. If the new budget was discussed, it should also be nullified because not everyone was included in the discussion. The Open Meeting Law is there to protect, not inhibit.
Yea, just the out of town regents were invited. Susan Guess was there. Jeremiah is known to not support Dr. Dunn but he wasn't invited. That claim is inaccurate.

Part of the KSR statute says:
“However, nothing in the statute prohibits discussion between individual members where the purpose is to educate themselves on specific issues.”
Activist

Owensboro, KY

#91 Mar 23, 2013
According to a story in the local paper today,( http://murrayledger.com/news/local/complaint-... ) members of the board met for a finance committee meeting just prior to the social gathering. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing in KRS that prohibits committees from meeting and discussing their assigned issues then attending a social event together. Committee meetings are not public events since the committee takes no final action, they simply meet to discuss recommendations to the full board.
Just to be clear here---I have no dog in this fight---I have no stake in who is president of MSU. It appears that some folks who are unhappy with the decision are trying to blow smoke where no fire exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Murray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 2 min muletrain 2,148
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min DITCH MITCH 151,512
Murray Ledger website 47 min Check back next week 5
meg medford watters 53 min Christians 5
laura kirks 1 hr wabt2know 1
cake lady cakes in murray (May '11) 1 hr Jennifer Hale 78
Flash of News (Aug '13) 1 hr From atlanta 3,668
Cops Everywhere! 4 hr lol 26
zaxbys general manager 7 hr harry 9
wreck at 4th and chestnut 9 hr yup. 10
August Moon hostess Mon John 5
•••
•••
•••