First Prev
of 5
Next Last
calloway

Murray, KY

#1 Feb 21, 2013
The other day I called 911 for my mother, She needed an ambulance. The guy asked me what was going on and I told him. He then told me he would have to transfer me to the ambulance service. I then waited and waited and the line went to the hospital answering machine and told me that if this was a emergency to contact 911.... The ambulance drive did show up and told me they was out of the office and was very sorry that this happened, however I think this is a very dangerous problem. Why is the 911 people taking the call and not making sure that the info is getting to the right people. Is this a county problem or what? I think the county 911 should be more responsible in making sure the call gets to who needs to be responding. Have they not upgraded their equipment to contact an ambulance or a fire truck ? I hope if my house is burning down or someone isn't breathing that no one has to wait for them to get back to check their answering machine. I have had to call 911 before in Tennessee where we used to live and the person took all my info and actually talked to me until the ambulance got there. No transferring the line or answering machines or having to call 911 back again...
tom

Murray, KY

#2 Feb 21, 2013
Ha. Good luck with that. This county's emergency system is messed up and they don't care!
do more

Henderson, KY

#3 Feb 21, 2013
I hope you are doing more about this than simply posting on Topix. Are you going to (or have you) contacted the hospital's EMS director about this?
calloway

Murray, KY

#4 Feb 21, 2013
I'm note sure who's at fault. The county for not getting the call to the ambulance service. Or the ambulance service for not answering the phones. I don't understand why the dispatcher didn't contact them on a radio? Do they not have radios ? Why is the 911 calls being sent to a phone line that can't be answered if the ambulance is on a call
Malpractice

Benton, KY

#5 Feb 21, 2013
calloway wrote:
I'm note sure who's at fault. The county for not getting the call to the ambulance service. Or the ambulance service for not answering the phones. I don't understand why the dispatcher didn't contact them on a radio? Do they not have radios ? Why is the 911 calls being sent to a phone line that can't be answered if the ambulance is on a call
The dispatcher should have contacted the ambulance by radio, and stayed on the phone with you. There is no excuse for you getting a voicemail.
fireman

United States

#6 Feb 21, 2013
The fire department is dispatched on the radio by the city dispatch or if your in the county it goes to the county dispatch. Ems doesn't have a dispatcher. The calls are transferred to their office. If they are out the nurses in the ER I believe is who is suppose to answer them and then call the ambulance on their radio. It's all a mess and all county's around us have went to having one dispatch center that controls the whole county. That way they don't have any confusion. Calloway will never see that. We have three different dispatch rooms. Murray Calloway and Murray state all have their own
Malpractice

Benton, KY

#7 Feb 21, 2013
fireman wrote:
The fire department is dispatched on the radio by the city dispatch or if your in the county it goes to the county dispatch. Ems doesn't have a dispatcher. The calls are transferred to their office. If they are out the nurses in the ER I believe is who is suppose to answer them and then call the ambulance on their radio. It's all a mess and all county's around us have went to having one dispatch center that controls the whole county. That way they don't have any confusion. Calloway will never see that. We have three different dispatch rooms. Murray Calloway and Murray state all have their own
Calloway may see it when this causes the death of someone, and their family sues the hell out of them. This is unacceptable.
EMS

Bowling Green, KY

#8 Feb 21, 2013
Fireman is correct, whom ever posted this is wrong, there is not an answering service. Ambulance phone is answered by them or ER, and they let ER know if they are going to be out of the station to answer the phone. No call goes unanswered.
adam

Murray, KY

#9 Feb 21, 2013
I actually heard this on the scanner the other day. Ems was asking Calloway what type of call they was going on and the dispatcher told him he was unsure. That he transferred the call to Ems and no one answered. He stated that it then rolled over to the hospital operator that did not answer either and ended up getting the hospital answering machine and she hung up . He stated he could not regain contact with the caller to get details of the call. Sounds real professional
adam

Murray, KY

#10 Feb 21, 2013
And I always wondered why I never could hear the ambulance get a call. Didn't know it was bc they was called on a phone. Ha WTF This is a f***k up county
EMS

Bowling Green, KY

#11 Feb 21, 2013
Adam needs to get his facts straight. NO answering machine...calls are ALWAYS answered by ambulance or ER. Get ur facts straight bud.
Everybodyshandso ut

New Concord, KY

#12 Feb 21, 2013
fireman wrote:

And I think we can all take a wild guess as to why we have the three dispatch centers? Anyone? I'll tell you why, MONEY.. Like everything else money makes the world go round, but if you ask me, and yea yea I know you didn't but I could care less, but anyway, if we had one center then that would literally cost a third of what it cost now having the three. For what it cost to operate three dispatch centers we could have one top notch dispatch center that done everything, even send out mass calls and txt's in the event of a emergency. I doubt we ever see this happen, my guess is we will just see higher taxes, sh it ter roads, and don't forget all the new cars they buy.
nonpartisan

Owensboro, KY

#13 Feb 22, 2013
Here's the way the MONEY works. The upgrades to the 911 system are paid for by the fees on phones. These fees and taxes are turned over to the Federal government. If memory serves me, the Feds paid for the initial establishment/synchronization of the 911 systems with those phone fees and taxes. All updates to the systems are paid out of those fees/taxes. Because the systems are digital they will always be in need of updates so the fees/taxes on our phones will always go up.
Everybody, it's your federal taxes that have gone up. County taxes? Not so much, eh?
Malpractice

Benton, KY

#14 Feb 22, 2013
EMS wrote:
Adam needs to get his facts straight. NO answering machine...calls are ALWAYS answered by ambulance or ER. Get ur facts straight bud.
Actually, Adam is correct. There isn't always a nurse available in the ER to answer the phone, as they are busy with patients. This is really a disgrace, even Mayfield has a better system than this. Murray should be ashamed of this!
Malpractice

Benton, KY

#15 Feb 22, 2013
Malpractice | 23 min ago
EMS wrote:

Actually, Adam is correct. There isn't always a nurse available in the ER to answer the phone, as they are busy with patients. This is really a disgrace, even Mayfield has a better system than this. Murray should be ashamed of this!
Report this post
godless heathen

Murray, KY

#16 Feb 22, 2013
Everybodyshandsout wrote:
<quoted text>And I think we can all take a wild guess as to why we have the three dispatch centers? Anyone? I'll tell you why, MONEY.. Like everything else money makes the world go round, but if you ask me, and yea yea I know you didn't but I could care less, but anyway, if we had one center then that would literally cost a third of what it cost now having the three. For what it cost to operate three dispatch centers we could have one top notch dispatch center that done everything, even send out mass calls and txt's in the event of a emergency. I doubt we ever see this happen, my guess is we will just see higher taxes, sh it ter roads, and don't forget all the new cars they buy.
City and county would probably merge if the fiscal court and city council could ever agree. MSU would never join in. If they did, it would be harder to keep things hush hush.
Shane

Grand Prairie, TX

#17 Feb 22, 2013
EMS wrote:
I also heard this on the scanner as it happened. I guess Adam and myself were hearing things. EMS, I would be ashamed to work under these conditions. If I were a paramedic or an emt, I would have to find a more organized place to work.
Another EMS

Murray, KY

#18 Feb 23, 2013
Proplr need to get there facts straight and quit blasting poeple who work there . If of the EMT's and Paramedic left then there would be no Service at all . Here in Callowayt County we have a very Dedicated staff at EMS is not their fault that the Hospital or City or County will not foot the Bill for EMS to be dispatched But I understand that the County wanted way too Much to dispatch EMS is why they don't do it . WE ALL PAY taxes and looks like City and Cponty could do the Dispatching for EMS as part of their Regular routine and not want alot of extra Money its not like dispatching for EMS would require another Dispatcher
Another EMS

Murray, KY

#19 Feb 23, 2013
Sorry for the typo dang spell check and I didnt catch it should have read People need to at the start
Another EMS

Murray, KY

#20 Feb 23, 2013
Oh By the way instead of Bitching on here where no one will pay any attention why don't you take your complaint to EMS Director Marty Barnett or Hospital CEO Jerry Penner or the Mayor and Judge Executive and qiut whining on here where its not going to get noticed by the Powers that be ....Just saying

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Murray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flash of News (Aug '13) 56 min Deke Johnson 5,609
The Isley Brothers 1 hr I can-t tell you 2
Another big truck wreck on 641 South 2 hr yohoho 3
Period Farts 3 hr Manly man 30
britany russell 4 hr Agreed 4
Jesse Douglas 5 hr Derpina 34
23 year old woman found dead 5 hr Dunn 45
Murray Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Murray People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Murray News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Murray

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 5:00AM
Full AFC, NFC Playoff Outlook, Week 16 Predictions
NBC Sports 6:35 AM
Whitehurst: May not look like it, but we can win
NBC Sports 3:14 PM
Losers of 13 of 14, Titans set for top draft pick - NBC Sports
ESPN 7:36 AM
Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:00 AM
Start 'Em, Sit 'Em Week 16: Debating Difficult Fantasy Football Lineup Decisions