Grown woman sucking her thumb

Posted in the Murray Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WTF

Murray, KY

#1 Mar 7, 2010
My friends and I went to the movies last night and the woman in front of us was sucking her thumb! It appeared she was with her husband and son. WTF?!!!! It was the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a while!
my say

Murray, KY

#2 Mar 7, 2010
get over it. u probably suck on cigs so whats the difference. live and let live
JAMES

Benton, KY

#3 Mar 7, 2010
mental maybe?
just me

Columbia City, IN

#4 Mar 7, 2010
I'd just be thankful she wasn't talking through the movie and/or kicking your seat (if she had been behind ya of course)
cutie pie

Aurora, CO

#5 Apr 24, 2010
WTF wrote:
My friends and I went to the movies last night and the woman in front of us was sucking her thumb! It appeared she was with her husband and son. WTF?!!!! It was the most ridiculous thing I have seen in a while!
I know that is so crazy looking! I have a friend that does that... and it looks so weird because she is in her late 20's!
cutie pie

Aurora, CO

#6 Apr 24, 2010
I know that is so crazy looking! I have a friend that does that and it looks so weird too me too and she is in her late 20's!
Karen

Plainview, NY

#7 Apr 26, 2010
Yea, well, it's a lot more prevalent than those uneducated people who have a hard time with this fact know. www.thumbsuckingadults.com and lots of other places on the net explain it but, actually, you probably haven't noticed all of them while driving, etc.
Like my say said, get over it. It's not a big deal at all.
An adult who enjoys sucking her thumb....
Seriously

Waterloo, IA

#8 Apr 27, 2010
This is just gross. It is one thing for a child to do it, but adults who suck their thumbs probably dine at Sirloin or Ryan's and share their saliva with the rest of us via buffet handles. They rank right along with people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, or picking their nose (also while driving, Karen). It is just nasty.

Apparently, not understanding the spread of disease and bacteria makes you the uneducated one.

Get yourself a pacifier if you think you still need some sort of security blanket.
Confused

Mayfield, KY

#9 Jun 3, 2010
Well now I've seen it all. I've never heard of this before. I don't know what to think. Wow.
Rusty Zipper

Centertown, KY

#10 Jun 3, 2010
ecstacy
Karen

Plainview, NY

#11 Jul 12, 2010
Hi Seriously,

There are germs everywhere, most of them quite benign, and many of them necessary for life (in your digestive system for example) and, as far as thumb sucking, most of them digest easily, and harmlessly. Shaking another's hands, touching the shopping cart handle, opening a door, and many other everyday behaviors all imply germs. Coming into contact with germs is constant.

The spread of disease and bacteria is something that is very difficult to avoid and a case can be made that totally avoiding it hurts the immune system more than helps it. To single out thumb sucking is absurd. There is no scientifically derived data to indicate that thumb suckers have significantly higher infection rates than the general population.

I suggest your germiphobic opinions are more specious than valid, when it comes to thumb sucking, especially if you compare it with other more "adult" tension relieving behaviors like smoking, overeating and gambling.
Seriously wrote:
This is just gross. It is one thing for a child to do it, but adults who suck their thumbs probably dine at Sirloin or Ryan's and share their saliva with the rest of us via buffet handles. They rank right along with people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, or picking their nose (also while driving, Karen). It is just nasty.
Apparently, not understanding the spread of disease and bacteria makes you the uneducated one.
Get yourself a pacifier if you think you still need some sort of security blanket.

Since: Apr 10

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#12 Jul 12, 2010
Well my daughter inlaw is 25 and a mother of 3 and sucks her thumb and yes it is ridiculous! but I still love her
Seriously

Waterloo, IA

#13 Jul 12, 2010
Karen wrote:
Hi Seriously,
There are germs everywhere, most of them quite benign, and many of them necessary for life (in your digestive system for example) and, as far as thumb sucking, most of them digest easily, and harmlessly. Shaking another's hands, touching the shopping cart handle, opening a door, and many other everyday behaviors all imply germs. Coming into contact with germs is constant.
The spread of disease and bacteria is something that is very difficult to avoid and a case can be made that totally avoiding it hurts the immune system more than helps it. To single out thumb sucking is absurd. There is no scientifically derived data to indicate that thumb suckers have significantly higher infection rates than the general population.
I suggest your germiphobic opinions are more specious than valid, when it comes to thumb sucking, especially if you compare it with other more "adult" tension relieving behaviors like smoking, overeating and gambling.
<quoted text>
Hi, Karen-

No, it is not anywhere near comparable to smoking, overeating, or gambling. It is comparable to spitting in my food, which I think most would find disgusting, and by measure- none would find "tension relieving". There are other "tension relieving" activities discussed in various threads on this board that you probably wouldn't want to come into contact with the aftermath of if one wasn't to wash their hands.

I also suggest you wash your hands after using the restroom, as E.Coli (a natural bacteria you can find in the bathroom) is spread through feces. It's not "germaphobic", it is called "hygiene".
Free Spirit

Murray, KY

#14 Jul 13, 2010
Obviously it's a mental disorder manifested through a security seeking action. The woman needs help!
calloway voter

Murray, KY

#15 Jul 13, 2010
why do we spend so much time worrying about what another person is doing???? If she was trying to suck YOUR thumb then you would have reason to be concerned....however it is quit funny that with crime rate in the climb in calloway county we still have time to worry about things of this nature....
omg ew

United States

#16 Jul 13, 2010
calloway voter wrote:
why do we spend so much time worrying about what another person is doing???? If she was trying to suck YOUR thumb then you would have reason to be concerned....however it is quit funny that with crime rate in the climb in calloway county we still have time to worry about things of this nature....
Good. Let her prepare your food.
Houston

Ashland, KY

#17 Jul 14, 2010
Anyone know the Houston's. I am a Houston and working on my family tree. What do you know?????
Dan The Man

Wingo, KY

#18 Jul 14, 2010
Maybe Just Maybe,She was thinking of something else while she was sucking her thumb ? But I could be wrong!!!
davie

Murray, KY

#19 Jul 15, 2010
let her sux.your just jealous she not suxin u,who know she may have a sore thumb from hitting it with a hammer.that hurts..
Karen

Plainview, NY

#20 Aug 5, 2010
Yes, there are other tension relieving habits. This one, though, belongs more to "posture", similar to crossing one's legs. It feels comfortable to the thumbsucker. OK, she should wash her hands, and especially her thumb, before indulging. There, now it's better....
Seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, Karen-
No, it is not anywhere near comparable to smoking, overeating, or gambling. It is comparable to spitting in my food, which I think most would find disgusting, and by measure- none would find "tension relieving". There are other "tension relieving" activities discussed in various threads on this board that you probably wouldn't want to come into contact with the aftermath of if one wasn't to wash their hands.
I also suggest you wash your hands after using the restroom, as E.Coli (a natural bacteria you can find in the bathroom) is spread through feces. It's not "germaphobic", it is called "hygiene".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Murray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Purse snatching at WalMart 2day 32 min Just Me 16
Trump Lovers 1 hr TRUTH 8
Brittney broom (Jul '13) 5 hr Mativey 12
moochers 7 hr New Deal 2 20
Rechelle Turner 8 hr yes 47
Baldys (Feb '15) 9 hr Pat 72
Calloway County Jail inmates Docket (Oct '12) 20 hr c haddow 69

Murray Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance