Can't get broadband internet?

Can't get broadband internet?

Posted in the Murray Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Disconnected

Chicago, IL

#1 Jan 16, 2013
Do you live in an area that's not served by broadband internet? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Post here and if there's enough responses, I'd like to try and put together some sort of online petition.

On a personal note, both ATT & Mediacom run services within 1/2 mi. of my neighborhood, but seemingly won't expand their coverage. I thought perhaps when West Kentucky Rural Telephone got their 100+ million dollar grant from the USDA, we might be in business but I was wrong. However, they did run fiber optic internet down every pig-path in Henry County, TN according to one of their employees.

In closing, please speak up if you're in a situation like my neighborhood is. Thanks
yeah

Murray, KY

#2 Jan 16, 2013
Same situation here. AT&T covers the area between Elm Grove and Aurora along 94 east and also along Hwy. 464 between Almo and 94. If you're along these roads, you are SOL if you want broadband.

No Cable, no DSL, no nothing.
Randy

Murray, KY

#3 Jan 16, 2013
Nope we got fast Internet here, almost 27 gig a second
ADW

Duluth, GA

#4 Jan 16, 2013
yeah wrote:
Same situation here. AT&T covers the area between Elm Grove and Aurora along 94 east and also along Hwy. 464 between Almo and 94. If you're along these roads, you are SOL if you want broadband.

No Cable, no DSL, no nothing.
Your so right! I am in the same situation!! It amazes me that there are still a lot of people here that have to spend a huge amount of money with satellite Internet providers (which is a freaking JOKE)!
No cable also stinks! Why do they allow all this business slip through their fingers?
MONEY

Murray, KY

#5 Jan 16, 2013
They let all of this business "slip" through their fingers because there aren't enough customers to obtain the service per mile to recoup their money of installing the service to these locations. Basically you all are too spread out. They like being able to run a mile long connection and get 30 customers not 5.
Wendy

United States

#6 Jan 16, 2013
That's the price you pay when you live in the middle of nowhere.
network guru

Murray, KY

#7 Jan 16, 2013
Randy wrote:
Nope we got fast Internet here, almost 27 gig a second
LOL no company in murray is capable of 27gb/s ... 27mb/s maybe.. but gb.. keep trolling..

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Disconnected wrote:
Do you live in an area that's not served by broadband internet? If so, I'd like to hear from you. Post here and if there's enough responses, I'd like to try and put together some sort of online petition.

On a personal note, both ATT & Mediacom run services within 1/2 mi. of my neighborhood, but seemingly won't expand their coverage. I thought perhaps when West Kentucky Rural Telephone got their 100+ million dollar grant from the USDA, we might be in business but I was wrong. However, they did run fiber optic internet down every pig-path in Henry County, TN according to one of their employees.

In closing, please speak up if you're in a situation like my neighborhood is. Thanks
Exact same situation !!! 121s past cherry corner. There is a dead zone. Half a mile before the curve they get Comcast and AT&T. One mile after they get west ky, were stuck in the middle paying $80 a month for wireless Internet and $120 a month for satalite !!! Sucks royally ! AT&T has been promising for three years their expanding, I'd love to know where !
Disconnected

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 17, 2013
@MONEY - In my area, there's about 35-40 homes within a 1/2 mi. radius that these ISPs won't serve. Hardly "spread out too far". I'm guessing my area is not alone in situations like this.

@Wendy - Sorry, but I don't consider anywhere within 20 mins. of a major 4 yr university to be the "middle of nowhere"

Thanks for everybody's responses. Hopefully more people speak up and maybe we can get something done. I'd like to be able to take advantage of things like VOIP phone service, streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'm sure lots of other folks would too.
Bill

Rockford, IL

#11 Jan 17, 2013
I'm 2 miles west of 641 on 464. At&t offers 1.5 meg here but I've been on a waiting list for months. So obviously there is a high demand. Mediacom has 15 meg within 1/2 mile. My only options are satellite (never again) and dial up. I'm stuck using my phone for all internet access.
soo

Delano, TN

#12 Jan 17, 2013
I use Exede... it's 10 mbps down and 2.5 up with a 5, 10, and 15 gig monthly limit. It is bundled with Dish Network. It's not perfect, but it is better than nothing. I recommend it but only if you have no other choice.
When Verizon gets 4g LTE here (which they will by summer) I'm hoping we can switch to that. It'll depend on if the LTE signal can penetrate our walls.
Bill

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jan 17, 2013
Verizon won't get 4G LTE in Murray for a few more years because of some FCC red tape and the cost of upgrading their antennas. Verizon has plans to "start" this summer but it'll be about a 2 year project unless they can get some politician to fastrack their communication upgrade licenses.
yeah

Murray, KY

#14 Jan 17, 2013
Bill wrote:
Verizon won't get 4G LTE in Murray for a few more years because of some FCC red tape and the cost of upgrading their antennas. Verizon has plans to "start" this summer but it'll be about a 2 year project unless they can get some politician to fastrack their communication upgrade licenses.
This is patently false.
yep

Lake Zurich, IL

#15 Jan 19, 2013
You're right...Verizon will not get 4G in this area for awhile. I spoke with them a few days ago, because I have poor internet service. They even offer to close out my account for free without having to pay for the rest of my contract because their service is so poor.
Mediacom will not down to Hwy 497, which is also off Hwy 94, because they said they don't have enough people out this area that wants cable...Which is BS!
They went as far as telling me I could have cable brought to my house...if I want to pay $2,500.00..that's not going to happen. Why should I have to pay that and my neighbors only have to pay insulation fee?
Jeff

Duluth, GA

#16 Jan 19, 2013
Disconnected wrote:
@MONEY - In my area, there's about 35-40 homes within a 1/2 mi. radius that these ISPs won't serve. Hardly "spread out too far". I'm guessing my area is not alone in situations like this.

@Wendy - Sorry, but I don't consider anywhere within 20 mins. of a major 4 yr university to be the "middle of nowhere"

Thanks for everybody's responses. Hopefully more people speak up and maybe we can get something done. I'd like to be able to take advantage of things like VOIP phone service, streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. I'm sure lots of other folks would too.
10,000 students isn't major and outside of Murray city limits Calloway is a redneck wasteland.
yep

Lake Zurich, IL

#17 Jan 19, 2013
yeah wrote:
<quoted text>
This is patently false.
Call and ask them for yourself. You will find out this is not false!
Hwy 497 area.
1-866-406-5154

Since: Nov 12

United States

#18 Jan 19, 2013
Iíve got all of you beat. I keep getting calls from Medeacom to hook up on Hi-speed cable when I agree and tell them to come hook me up the guys come out and find the main line on the hi way (old 80) that according to their blue prints runs past my house. It Actually turns and runs out across the corn field to the back of a medeacom employeeís house! Talk about a bunch of shat! It comes that close and I still canít hook up. The phone lines are 60yrs old and wonít support a fax machine ! So we are stuck with Hughesnet which is just above suck! And is limited so Netflix and any big downloads are out, and has a 10 sec. lag to Ny. So live games are out to. Plus itís over $70.00 a month
Worst name today

Murray, KY

#19 Jan 19, 2013
Annoying Keyboard Tapper wrote:
Iíve got all of you beat. I keep getting calls from Medeacom to hook up on Hi-speed cable when I agree and tell them to come hook me up the guys come out and find the main line on the hi way (old 80) that according to their blue prints runs past my house. It Actually turns and runs out across the corn field to the back of a medeacom employeeís house! Talk about a bunch of shat! It comes that close and I still canít hook up. The phone lines are 60yrs old and wonít support a fax machine ! So we are stuck with Hughesnet which is just above suck! And is limited so Netflix and any big downloads are out, and has a 10 sec. lag to Ny. So live games are out to. Plus itís over $70.00 a month


Well that's perfect for a piece of shat like you. I can't think of a more deserving pile like you.

Must suck to be you!!

Since: Nov 12

United States

#20 Jan 20, 2013
Worst name today wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that's perfect for a piece of shat like you. I can't think of a more deserving pile like you.
Must suck to be you!!
Thanks. I feel the same way about you. You Meth head piece of sit thief!
Disconnected

Lake Zurich, IL

#21 Jan 20, 2013
thanks for trolling topix.com Jeff

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Murray Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kim Davis Issue 39 min 3rd Armored 61
Thank you WKMS 1 hr Jake from State Farm 13
Drugs on Cherry street 1 hr Jake from State Farm 6
Shanna Williams 1 hr Jake from State Farm 7
Jasmine (Aug '11) 1 hr Jake from State Farm 24
Chuckles is at it again !!!!!!! 3 hr mike 8
schuyler mccurdy in and out of jail (Jun '14) 5 hr christian 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Murray Mortgages