Schools to appeal to voters

Schools to appeal to voters

There are 67 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 22, 2008, titled Schools to appeal to voters. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Tallmadge and Stow-Munroe Falls school districts will ask voters for additional property tax money in the Aug.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
cats71

Brinkhaven, OH

#73 May 23, 2008
All I know is that at $4.00 plus a gallon for gas, the parents at our schools are still driving and picking their childern up and dropping them off each morning even though a bus is available to pick them up in front of the house and drop them off. When will people get the idea to let the bus take their children to school. Maybe at $10.00?????????
San Antone Bill

San Antonio, TX

#74 May 23, 2008
Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
If voters need "hard selling points", then the voters are morons. Oh wait -- it's already a given voters are morons.
Those of us who enjoy Stow's EXCELLENT rating will make sure we keep that EXCELLENT rating for our district. Times are tough and the schools realize that, but again, they don't have a choice. Until the way Ohio fixes the way it funds its' public schools -- something the loser, incompetent and CRIMINAL Taft Administration failed to do despite FOUR Ohio Supreme Court rulings -- the schools asking for money will continue.
Luckily for all of us, Strickland's been working on it and plans to submit his plan in 2009.
If cities continue to vote down increased property tax then hard choices will be coming. What I don't know. Maybe half day shifts for classes to accomodate the increased number of kids. With classes going twelve monthes.

Other means of collect needed taxes for school and fire fighters is the lotto. Texas uses funds from its lotto to help fund schools. Maybe put additional taxes on booze,cigerattes,gas,and groceries. Just possiblities. Who knows. Something is deffently going to happen and you can rest assured the good citezens won't like it.
Sally

Cleveland, OH

#75 May 23, 2008
I think the schools system needs to find another way of raising money, other than going to the homeowners. I am wondering if the money is more of a want than a need?
bykrydr

Akron, OH

#76 May 23, 2008
solitare wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure where you get your info. but you need a more accurate one. Yes,the numbers you stated are correct for full time employees. However, those who are not(7.5 hours daily)are paying $190 monthly for single coverage and those with families pay are paying more than double that amount. Have you checked into the new licensure fees all school employees must now pay? So, like those over 65, all school employees have seen any real increase in spendable monthly income!
Semi-full time and part-time employees have always paid considerably more for benefits than full-time employees where I work (Akron hospital). That's why so many positions have been cut to less than full-time. Sucks, but that's the m.o. and has been for the 20 years I can attest to. And as for full-time benefits, I pay $145 bi-weekly for family hospitalization coverage, and I work at a hospital. School employees are not facing any unfortunate circumstances that almost every other business sector is not facing also, unless you're an oil co. exec or a corn farmer. Most professionals who are licensed have licensure fees; I don't know the amount for teachers, per se, but if it's new then they have gotten away with no licensure fees up until this point, consider it a plus. I have paid an average of 50$ every two years plus the cost of continuing education classes (24Hours required) for 20+years. And to boot, I am not forseeing any wage increase at all this year. It is my understanding that the most recent Tallmadge teacher's contract awarded them a 3.5% wage increase for this year, followed by a 2.5% increase for the next year, totalling 6% over two years. And the fact that the school board approved these increases(however much they are), full well knowing they would be facing a deficit in the coming school years, is irresponsible. The fact that the administration is unwilling to trim some fat from their own girths is reprehensible to me - as they put their hands out and ask me for more.
bykrydr

Akron, OH

#77 May 23, 2008
Way too wordy, I know. Issues with emotions...
solitare

Stow, OH

#78 May 23, 2008
bykrydr wrote:
<quoted text>
Semi-full time and part-time employees have always paid considerably more for benefits than full-time employees where I work (Akron hospital). That's why so many positions have been cut to less than full-time. Sucks, but that's the m.o. and has been for the 20 years I can attest to. And as for full-time benefits, I pay $145 bi-weekly for family hospitalization coverage, and I work at a hospital. School employees are not facing any unfortunate circumstances that almost every other business sector is not facing also, unless you're an oil co. exec or a corn farmer. Most professionals who are licensed have licensure fees; I don't know the amount for teachers, per se, but if it's new then they have gotten away with no licensure fees up until this point, consider it a plus. I have paid an average of 50$ every two years plus the cost of continuing education classes (24Hours required) for 20+years. And to boot, I am not forseeing any wage increase at all this year. It is my understanding that the most recent Tallmadge teacher's contract awarded them a 3.5% wage increase for this year, followed by a 2.5% increase for the next year, totalling 6% over two years. And the fact that the school board approved these increases(however much they are), full well knowing they would be facing a deficit in the coming school years, is irresponsible. The fact that the administration is unwilling to trim some fat from their own girths is reprehensible to me - as they put their hands out and ask me for more.
My point is that all employees have started to pay for benefits, some more than others and still others paying more than they were paying before. Your numbers on the wage increases are wrong. Do you honestly think that any school employee requires no license? All license fees have more than doubled and in some cases tripled. Check with all the employees who will have no job at the end of this school year and tell me they have not trimmed any fat!!!
Tom Reynolds

Canton, OH

#79 May 23, 2008
We do not need anymore tax increases, especially schools asking for more money. When will it stop? Schools and governments need to live within a budget. They should reduce spending and minimize waste first.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Munroe Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump Supporters Get Their Chance to Savor Victory 2 hr Brisco Darling 3
Who recalls Todd Hickman (akron) (Sep '11) 4 hr Erick Gadson 64
the music thread (Apr '12) 19 hr Musikologist 20
News Bob Dyer: 'Homeless' men change often at highwa... (Aug '08) Sun Concerned 126
News Ohio.com - Akron teachers ratify pact (Aug '07) Aug '16 bigguy 51
Community Rights - must read!!! (Apr '16) Apr '16 Scott 1
News Union head objects to police reforms; fire dest... (May '15) May '15 come on man 2

Munroe Falls Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Munroe Falls Mortgages