Voters to decide issues today

Voters to decide issues today

There are 21 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 5, 2008, titled Voters to decide issues today. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Residents in the Stow-Munroe Falls and Tallmadge school districts will be voting in a special election today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Teddy

Cleveland, OH

#1 Aug 5, 2008
Option 1: Do more with less. Initiate efficiency mandates throughout the system. Take a pay cut.

Option 2: Cut where it will hurt the public most. Utilize the "special election" as less turn out can only help. Remove mirrors from your house as utilizing this option will make looking at yourself very painful

Mirror sale in Stow-Munroe Falls and Tallmadge!

sigh
May Fong

Sheffield Lake, OH

#2 Aug 5, 2008
Yep if you cant get them on regular voting days. Sneak em in when they least expect it....
Teddy

Cleveland, OH

#3 Aug 5, 2008
If it fails they will probably make some tear-filled announcement that desks will be removed from the class rooms. The cameras will be there as they are thrown in the dumpster and then they will hold another special election in September.

In the mean time they will give raises all around while patting themselves on the back for taking care of the children.

nauseating really.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#5 Aug 5, 2008
MONITOR THE CITY wrote:
JUST GOES TO SHOW YOU THE SCHOOL BOARD IS JUST AS CROOKED AS GRIMM'S UNHOLY TRIO, WE GET RIPPED OFF AT THE REC CENTER NOW THE SCHOOL BOARD IS TRYING TO RIP OFF THE TAX PAYERS IN TALLMADGE BY TRYING TO SNEEK IN THIS SPECIAL ELECTION, I VOTE NO
I WILL NOT HELP SUPPORT THE [email protected] FOOTBALL TEAM. THEY SAY THEY WILL REINSTATE THINGS THEY ARE TAKING AWAY, SOUNDS LIKE EXTORTION TO ME, IF THEY ARE IS SUCH DIRE NEEDS, KEEP THE CUTS IN PLACE AND BALANCE YOUR BUDGET JUST LIKE US TAX PAYERS HAVE TO DO!!!!
Let's take a straw poll.
OldManGrump

Dallas, TX

#6 Aug 5, 2008
I got 4 phone calls from the Tallmadge School supporters yesterday telling me about the election today. I politely told them thank you for calling. I voted NO this morning. There is no way I can support a levy in these hard financial times. I can barely keep up with my gas, utilities, and food bills each month.

If you haven't voted yet today in Tallmadge, please do and vote NO. Tallmadge does not need the money because the teachers are overpaid and underpaying on their medical insurance costs. Teachers need to take a pay cut and pay more for their insurance bottom line.

NO for Tallmadge School Levy !!!
smalltown

Akron, OH

#8 Aug 5, 2008
Perception is reality with regards to schools managing their funds. Tallmadge needs to understands this and make adjustments. Reductions in the Adminstrative salaries is really a non- factor in the whole scheme of things.. but when these individuals make 100k and the residents of the community are hurting it doesn't help. The only way a school district can control their costs is to take on the "the monster" or should I say the OEA union. When 80% of your budget is made up of salaries and bennies of these workers, the ony way to cut substancial costs, is to change the traditional contracts that exist. Good luck with that one, because the union is very astute to the fact that the voters will say one thing ,but when their kids are staying home due to a strike they will flip on the Board of Education in a heartbeat. So what are you to do???
No Consequences

Streetsboro, OH

#9 Aug 5, 2008
OldManGrump wrote:
I got 4 phone calls from the Tallmadge School supporters yesterday telling me about the election today. I politely told them thank you for calling. I voted NO this morning. There is no way I can support a levy in these hard financial times. I can barely keep up with my gas, utilities, and food bills each month.
If you haven't voted yet today in Tallmadge, please do and vote NO. Tallmadge does not need the money because the teachers are overpaid and underpaying on their medical insurance costs. Teachers need to take a pay cut and pay more for their insurance bottom line.
NO for Tallmadge School Levy !!!
Why don't you take your grabby butt to Ellet. If you can't support the levy fine...but keep your big, poor, old mouth shut!!!
Smitty

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Aug 5, 2008
Hey, "No Consequences",

Who died and appointed you to decide what opinions someone else could hold?

You are rude, insulting, apparently both ignorant and lacking in social graces... perhaps it is YOU who should shut your mouth.

I also oppose the levy. I'm not interested in giving them $200,000 for a 1/2 day of kindergarten for fewer than 100 families, and I don't see why a retiree on a fixed income should pay another $250 in taxes so the parents of the 40 or so kids on the football team don't have to pay. It's not like sports are actually open to all students.

I also don't appreciate the attempt to sneak this through. It is not the first time they've pulled this.

If the schools need money, maybe they could raise the rent on the rec center they built for the mayor.
No Consequences

Streetsboro, OH

#11 Aug 5, 2008
Smitty wrote:
Hey, "No Consequences",
Who died and appointed you to decide what opinions someone else could hold?
You are rude, insulting, apparently both ignorant and lacking in social graces... perhaps it is YOU who should shut your mouth.
I also oppose the levy. I'm not interested in giving them $200,000 for a 1/2 day of kindergarten for fewer than 100 families, and I don't see why a retiree on a fixed income should pay another $250 in taxes so the parents of the 40 or so kids on the football team don't have to pay. It's not like sports are actually open to all students.
I also don't appreciate the attempt to sneak this through. It is not the first time they've pulled this.
If the schools need money, maybe they could raise the rent on the rec center they built for the mayor.
The community was hoping you would stay in your air conditioned trailer this morning, watching your REGIS & KELLY, and forget to vote!!! The rec center is a jewel for the community. Maybe you should get a pass!!!
Voice of Reason

Akron, OH

#15 Aug 5, 2008
MONITOR THE CITY wrote:
<quoted text>I HEAR GRIMM CALLING YOU,THE REC CENTER SUCKS, GRIMM ALONG WITH HIS UNHOLY TRIO ARE UP TO THEIR NECKS IN THE CRIMNAL GOINGS ON THERE , YOU MUST BE RELATED TO THE BIG BLOWHARD HEADRICKS, I'LL BET YOU EVEN DRIVE A FOREGIN VEHICLE, YOU SOUND LIKE A PERSON WITH A PAPER REAR, TALKS FIRST AND THINKS LATER.
There is medication for you buddy. Let someone help you. Your hatred could hurt someone. I know an excellent doctor who tried to treat Manson. He MIGHT be able to help you before its too late!!!
Try It Again

Akron, OH

#16 Aug 5, 2008
No Consequences wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you take your grabby butt to Ellet. If you can't support the levy fine...but keep your big, poor, old mouth shut!!!
What a nasty person you are and your mouth shows it. Why don't you just shutup and move to Ellet yourself. Grump has a right to his opinion, and I happen to support him on the Tallamdge levy funding not needed. Retirees like Grump do not have the income to pay another $25 a month or so in real estate taxes. They can barely pay for their food, utilities, and gas on the pensions they get. Tallmadge is a city of 30% retirees who have paid their dues to the schools.
RU Kiddingme

AOL

#17 Aug 5, 2008
No Consequences wrote:
<quoted text>
I voted NO. I'm not poor and wish to remain that way. Besides, Ellet scares the livin' shite out of me.
Try It Again

Akron, OH

#18 Aug 5, 2008
RU Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
I voted NO. I'm not poor and wish to remain that way. Besides, Ellet scares the livin' shite out of me.
Your vote counted. Tallmadge levy was defeated 55%-45%. I think the majority of folks like Grump agreed with him. Let more budget cuts begin.
Stop It

Streetsboro, OH

#19 Sep 3, 2008
RU Kiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your support! A**hole.
Tallmadge Student

United States

#20 Sep 7, 2008
I just wanted to thank everyone who voted "no"

because of you it will be harder for me to get into college (resume is just as important as GPA now... anyone with a college-bound student will understand this concept), I get to watch good teachers get fired, my parent's property value is decreasing, I get to read all of your negativity every sunday in the paper, and I won't have to worry about moving back to Tallmadge after college because it has become an unsupportive community that I no longer want to be a part of (maybe I'll move to Hudson?)

But thank you for practicing your democratic right to vote... and your democratic right to screw the city of Tallmadge over.
Tallmadge Student

United States

#21 Sep 7, 2008
oh and about this whole "fixed income" thing... I may be young but I am far from stupid and ignorant. I understand how the "system" works. I work hard and the government takes money out of my pay check to contribute to your "fixed income". So why not give back? I contribute to your "fixed income" so why can't you contribute to my education?

P.S. for some reason it says I'm from Canton, but I'm not.
Bitsy VanPriss

AOL

#22 Sep 7, 2008
Tallmadge Student wrote:
I just wanted to thank everyone who voted "no"
because of you it will be harder for me to get into college (resume is just as important as GPA now... anyone with a college-bound student will understand this concept), I get to watch good teachers get fired, my parent's property value is decreasing, I get to read all of your negativity every sunday in the paper, and I won't have to worry about moving back to Tallmadge after college because it has become an unsupportive community that I no longer want to be a part of (maybe I'll move to Hudson?)
But thank you for practicing your democratic right to vote... and your democratic right to screw the city of Tallmadge over.
Dahrling, how will you EVER move to Hudson if you can't get into a good college? It just isn't done.
Tallmadge Student

Zebulon, GA

#23 Sep 7, 2008
I never said I couldn't get into a good college. I said it would be harder for me to get into a good college. It will also be difficult to get significant scholarships as well. Maybe I can get on a fixed income after I graduate when I have all of those student loans I have to pay?

Maybe I won't go to college at all, "Dahrling" *sic*. I'll just play the real estate market in Hudson. I can always bury myself under mortgage payments. Their property value seems to increase each time they pass their levies... hmm... I wonder if there is a correlation?
Bitsy VanPriss

AOL

#24 Sep 7, 2008
Tallmadge Student wrote:
I never said I couldn't get into a good college. I said it would be harder for me to get into a good college. It will also be difficult to get significant scholarships as well. Maybe I can get on a fixed income after I graduate when I have all of those student loans I have to pay?
Maybe I won't go to college at all, "Dahrling" *sic*. I'll just play the real estate market in Hudson. I can always bury myself under mortgage payments. Their property value seems to increase each time they pass their levies... hmm... I wonder if there is a correlation?
Dahrling, I don't think you're going to get into a good school with all that unattractive ranting. Perhaps a nice sanitarium would be more the thing for you. Would you like me to see if I can pull some strings? I know absolutely everyone, dahrling.

Since: Aug 08

Akron

#25 Sep 7, 2008
Tallmadge Student wrote:
You plan to ask for a handout? Does that come out of our taxes? Maybe you could sign up for welfare.

Grump worked his entire life and paid into his retirement fund/SS maybe both. Why should he feel obligated to pay for your education?
Obviously you have no idea what it costs to pay for the roof over your head, or the food on the table, the clothes on your back, the utilities in your home, health care, car payments and maintenance on the car, insurance.....
You have a lot of growing up to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Munroe Falls Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roddy Pleads Guilty (Apr '07) 17 hr Iwasthere 3
Lawyers in Summit County Domestic Relations Court (Oct '08) Jun 23 B single 20
News Akron cat-kicker sentenced for being part of Ha... Jun 23 JCB 2
News Akron man robs, threatens to shoot Little Caesa... Jun 21 munch face 2
Obama Announces Sec Hagel's Replacement (Nov '14) Jun 16 wino s matter 9
Stripped Screw Jun 16 Shaft 3
Community Rights - must read!!! Apr '16 Scott 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Munroe Falls Mortgages