Houses with two front doors.

Houses with two front doors.

Posted in the Munfordville Forum

Lwood n HC

Cave City, KY

#1 Apr 29, 2011
Does any one know why houses used to be built with two front doors, one beside the other? My house has this feature and it does not make any sence to me.
Curious too

Glasgow, KY

#2 Apr 29, 2011
His door & her door
Bob II

Glasgow, KY

#3 Apr 29, 2011
Lwood n HC wrote:
Does any one know why houses used to be built with two front doors, one beside the other? My house has this feature and it does not make any sence to me.
More than likely at one time or another your home was a duplex and two separate families lived in the home.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#4 Apr 29, 2011
Older homes have 2 front doors...I dont know why and I've wondered that myself..but know one has ever told me why!:)
Dunno

Vine Grove, KY

#5 Apr 30, 2011
Its so the husband can come in one door... the mailman can run out the other
Cards Fan

Glasgow, KY

#6 Apr 30, 2011
It's a ridiculous feature. If I were buying a house and it had two front doors I'd be put off on the sale. I guess someone could hire a person to turn one of the doors into a window.
Hope this helps

Rineyville, KY

#7 Apr 30, 2011
The reason for two front doors……when a person died, it was thought to be disrespectful to take the deceased out the same door they had always used........That was what I was told!!
the truth

Clarkson, KY

#8 Apr 30, 2011
one for white people and one for black people
What I Heard

Horse Cave, KY

#9 Apr 30, 2011
I always heard it was in case of fires, my grandmother's house had two front doors.
Wih

Cave City, KY

#10 Apr 30, 2011
On older homes, one door was used for visitors and the other for residents. Visitors went into a parlor or living room for entertaining and residents went in the other door, usually into the kitchen or hall way to the kitchen, to keep the "front" room clean and free of tracked in dirt
Kygirl

Glasgow, KY

#11 May 1, 2011
Just to make shit complicated. It was probably just a trend
June

Sherwood, AR

#12 Apr 7, 2012
I'm from Arkansas. My parent's house originally had two front doors and two back doors before they remodeled. My understanding was that before funeral homes, people would open up one side of their house for a wake.
temp1

Bardstown, KY

#14 Apr 17, 2012
Most country homes then had outhouses - think about it...
Barren co guy

Elizabethtown, KY

#15 Apr 18, 2012
Your either a teeny bopper or a druggy.
lgpt42129 wrote:
2 doors so one person can enter from one door and after they finish with there business, the other door is the exit, so the next person can enter to do there business etc etc
oh did i mention these homes are gay homes
lol
Bubba

Glasgow, KY

#16 Apr 19, 2012
Barren co guy wrote:
Your either a teeny bopper or a druggy.
<quoted text>
Hes a queer,aways wantin to go in the EXIT
Education is Important

Glasgow, KY

#17 Apr 19, 2012
Bubba wrote:
<quoted text>Hes a queer,aways wantin to go in the EXIT
Exactly what grade did you drop out of high school from?

Did you know it takes ten fingers to type on a standard keyboard?

You will never get anywhere in life typing with your thumbs and being anti-social.
Pennsylvania

Landisburg, PA

#19 Mar 3, 2013
Homes in this area having 2 front doors are usually a basic square house with 4 rooms on the first floor. The one door was for everyday family use entering into where family cooked, ate, did washing, etc. the other door entered into the fancy room of the house where guests were received. This way guests did not have to see the mess of everyday life and only saw your fancy room. There is usually another door inside the house that would separate these 2 areas. They are usually house built by people of German decent in the early 1800's
ventilation

Horse Cave, KY

#20 Mar 22, 2013
Even some of the local amish build this way. without Ac you can let more air in with 2 doors on the front.
TN Historian

Franklin, TN

#21 Oct 15, 2013
There are probably several reasons for two front doors. Ventilation makes sense; remember there was a time before air conditioning when people actually put the bed outside on a sleeping porch. Tuberculoses was rampant during the early 20th century and good ventilation was considered both a cure and preventive measure. 

Homes had chamber pots before there were toilets. These were usually kept in a cabinet or simply pushed under the bed. It would be more practical to carry the "night soil" out through a door in the bedroom instead of taking the chance of spillage while lugging it out via the living area.

Some of these homes were constructed during the depression era. An older lady that I spoke to said it was so that more than one generation or family could live together but still have a degree of privacy. There might be a newlyweds bedding down in the living room. The older generation got to have the bedroom. Or a bed could be put in the parlor and rented out for extra income.
friend

Glasgow, KY

#22 Oct 19, 2013
Hope this helps wrote:
The reason for two front doors……when a person died, it was thought to be disrespectful to take the deceased out the same door they had always used........That was what I was told!!
Wow, I was gonna post what you just posted. Not many people know that old time practices. I like running across this kind of post.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Munfordville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Doctors in munfordville 2 hr Dog 17
Mayor Chris Holder shot in Hardyville 2 hr Transcender 56
at night 4 hr in the sky 1
Bonnieville Music Thread (Jan '14) 7 hr Musikologist 9
cave city mayor ready to bankrupt the city (Jan '15) 9 hr Holder 5
Horse cave pays 75000 because of henry 10 hr randy logsdon 13
where can i find some meth (Dec '11) 12 hr Jamal 92

Munfordville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance