Several towns stop fighting Canadian ...

Several towns stop fighting Canadian National Railway plan and ...

There are 102 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 16, 2008, titled Several towns stop fighting Canadian National Railway plan and .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

As of Tuesday, eight communities - from Mundelein to Frankfort and Schererville, Ind.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Ken in Aurora

Montgomery, IL

#1 Dec 17, 2008
Murphy translation: "Boo hoo! Not in my backyard!"

Weisner's position on this is causing me to actively support one of the other candidates for Aurora mayor. How much Aurora city money was inappropriately spent fighting this merger?
Steal Rails

AOL

#2 Dec 17, 2008
Ken in Aurora wrote:
Murphy translation: "Boo hoo! Not in my backyard!"
Weisner's position on this is causing me to actively support one of the other candidates for Aurora mayor. How much Aurora city money was inappropriately spent fighting this merger?
K-k-k-ken! Where've you been hiding?

I'm sure Weisner doesn't really give a sheyat about who you vote for, and your support of his opponent actually might help him in the long run.
NLS

Elmhurst, IL

#3 Dec 17, 2008
CN didn't have to merge, they could have just leased, then no would have had a say! Take what you can get!
Ryan

United States

#4 Dec 17, 2008
NLS wrote:
CN didn't have to merge, they could have just leased, then no would have had a say! Take what you can get!
I agree. Keep in mind that the railroad was there long before the subdivisions and strip malls of these towns. Why would the CN want to build overpasses/underpasses when there is no significant benefit to their operations.
Dan Rakow

Glen Ellyn, IL

#5 Dec 17, 2008
When Canadian National Railway do acquire Elgin,Joliet And Eastern.CN should have a Special Rail Overpass going over Three of West Chicago's Streets Washington,Church And Ann and also East-West Union Pacific/Metra Line so it can make it easy for everybody so West Chicago DO NOT have Inconvience of Any Kind.West Chicago have a Fantastic Fire Department,Paramedics,Police Department,Churches,Park District,Library District and Community High School District #94, Elementary School District #33 and East-West Metra Union Pacific West Line.
West Chicago is a wonderful town and please keep it as one Community NOT two different areas.
JJ Walker

Lake In The Hills, IL

#6 Dec 17, 2008
I say kudos to the towns and villages that have enough sense to realize this is going to happen and made deals to help ease the concerns of their residents. Itís not perfect, but once it gets approved, then CN will be obligated to only do the mitigation recommended by the Environmental Impact Statement; which will be less than what most of the communities got in their individual agreements.
Ken in Aurora

Montgomery, IL

#7 Dec 17, 2008
Steal Rails wrote:
<quoted text>
K-k-k-ken! Where've you been hiding?
I'm sure Weisner doesn't really give a sheyat about who you vote for, and your support of his opponent actually might help him in the long run.
Did someone say something?
BFR

La Grange, IL

#8 Dec 17, 2008
JJ Walker wrote:
I say kudos to the towns and villages that have enough sense to realize this is going to happen and made deals to help ease the concerns of their residents. Itís not perfect, but once it gets approved, then CN will be obligated to only do the mitigation recommended by the Environmental Impact Statement; which will be less than what most of the communities got in their individual agreements.
I also like to think it was done out of a sense of civic responsibility to help the less fortunate communities in the inner-ring suburbs by alievating some of their rail traffic. That impacts low income minorities disproportionately. Finally, a nice story for the Holidays!
Crackers

Oak Park, IL

#9 Dec 17, 2008
The RRx intersection in Mundelein that would have the feasibility study is IL highways 60 and 83, not 80.
DBX

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 17, 2008
This looks like the worst of all possible worlds. What's needed for the EJE corridor is a thorough reconstruction and expansion that gets rid of grade crossings, enables the line to pass under or over most roadways, and allows for more freight and passenger rail traffic. EJE should be a resource for all freight railroads and Chicago area commuters alike.

What we shouldn't be doing now is cutting expedient deals to make CN and a few suburbs happy. That sells the whole region short.
Steve

Chicago, IL

#11 Dec 17, 2008
OK, you people who dont what the freight trains going by your house are not looking at the big picture. I used to live by train tracks for about 20 yrs, that had trains going by all the time. You get used to it. The big pic. is that the more freight we can get on trains the less truck traffic there is and the less pollution there is. 1 freight train can help get about 120-200 trucks or more off the roads, thats just 1 train. Semi trucks are also one of the most polluting vehicalson the roads. Now wouldnt it be nice if you could go down the highway and see 200 less trucks! hello people, you get used to sound of a train and the kids love it. So thank you for putting up such a fuss and making the rest of us suffer too!
No Liberal

Schaumburg, IL

#12 Dec 17, 2008
Had most of these communities negotiated with the CN from the get-go, as was discussed many times in other forums, much time and money would have been saved by both sides. I guess Lake Zurich and Barrington still think they can win this one apparently. Silly.... they need to give it up now and work with the CN for the benefit of their residents. Maybe that's too logical.
chicago tim

Southfield, MI

#13 Dec 17, 2008
JJ Walker wrote:
I am in agreement. I commend the villages who have recognized that, while they still do not favor the increased negative impacts to their villages, they are actively pursuing a productive course of action that seeks to manage the quality of life of its residents.
history lesson

Cicero, IL

#14 Dec 17, 2008
As the old saying goes " if you can't beat them join them"
independant voter Joliet

Joliet, IL

#15 Dec 17, 2008
Steve wrote:
OK, you people who dont what the freight trains going by your house are not looking at the big picture. I used to live by train tracks for about 20 yrs, that had trains going by all the time. You get used to it. The big pic. is that the more freight we can get on trains the less truck traffic there is and the less pollution there is. 1 freight train can help get about 120-200 trucks or more off the roads, thats just 1 train. Semi trucks are also one of the most polluting vehicalson the roads. Now wouldnt it be nice if you could go down the highway and see 200 less trucks! hello people, you get used to sound of a train and the kids love it. So thank you for putting up such a fuss and making the rest of us suffer too!
This also puts 200 MORE people out of work... take your pollution c@@p and stuff it... tracks are a DANGEROUS attraction for children fool
Mark Z

New York, NY

#17 Dec 17, 2008
DBX wrote:
This looks like the worst of all possible worlds. What's needed for the EJE corridor is a thorough reconstruction and expansion that gets rid of grade crossings, enables the line to pass under or over most roadways, and allows for more freight and passenger rail traffic.
And who will pay for all of this? Where will the land come from? How will that plan not end up upsetting the NIMBY-ers?

While I can't speak for an individual line, many of them have been around for 100-150 years. It's the COMMUNITIES that are to blame for 1) building town squares RIGHT next to the tracks where there could be a hazmat spill; 2) allowing developers to build homes right next to tracks that could have a hazmat spill; 3) building roads without under/overpasses that cross railroad tracks; and 4) not building satellite emergency services should the main location's police/fire/ambulance be cut off by a train. It's also the homeowners' faults for not doing their research & buying homes that could be cut off from emergency services...

Sorry, the railroads were there first, so they win. Every community that gets a few million should consider themselves lucky...
Mark Z

New York, NY

#18 Dec 17, 2008
independant voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
tracks are a DANGEROUS attraction for children fool
And roads aren't?
No Liberal

Schaumburg, IL

#19 Dec 17, 2008
independant voter Joliet wrote:
<quoted text>
This also puts 200 MORE people out of work... take your pollution c@@p and stuff it... tracks are a DANGEROUS attraction for children fool
I'm sorry to argue and won't do it anymore, but the sheer number of semi trucks (as has been mentioned) one train saves, pollutes WAY more. In addition, it's YOUR job to keep your kids off of the tracks. Why in the world should that even enter a discussion? Ridiculous.

Since: Dec 06

Salt Lake City, UT

#20 Dec 17, 2008
I can only wonder how much money went into the pockets of the local politicians for them to cave in on this issue. I will not vote for a single incumbent in the next local election, as none of the sitting officials seem to care one whit about what the residents think. We do NOT want the trains here!
No Liberal

Schaumburg, IL

#21 Dec 17, 2008
THEAprof wrote:
I can only wonder how much money went into the pockets of the local politicians for them to cave in on this issue. I will not vote for a single incumbent in the next local election, as none of the sitting officials seem to care one whit about what the residents think. We do NOT want the trains here!
Ah, but our local people like Durbin and Bean for example worked tirelessly to ban smoking and Durbin was saving up his intention to commute George Ryan's sentence until after the election as we all now know. So, aside from the smoking issue costing us a few hundred million in lost revenue and this little thing with the trains for some people, everything is ok?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mundelein Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Remains found. Is it Megan Nichols Apr 18 Blame the parents 19
Bruno Mars Apr 16 Stained Glass 1
Deadline Announced for Appealing Your Property ... Apr 12 Innovaxis Marketing 1
baldwin town board members (Aug '14) Apr 11 jeans lounge 3
Local restaurant nightmare Apr 10 cabin4 11
Fox Lake Police Stand Up To Child Abuser On Force (Jan '14) Apr 8 Behan 63
News Flyers connected to white supremacist group sho... Apr 8 Fix it 1

Mundelein Jobs

Personal Finance

Mundelein Mortgages