Illinois high court tosses out time l...

Illinois high court tosses out time limits on trains blocking r...

There are 30 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 25, 2008, titled Illinois high court tosses out time limits on trains blocking r.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

An Illinois law aimed at untangling blocked railroad crossings - long the bane of frustrated motorists and emergency responders - was thrown out by the state Supreme Court on Friday, raising fears that what ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hello

AOL

#21 Oct 20, 2008
Robert Pines is a very uneducated person. He DOES not know the LAWS. He DOES not know what personal responsibility is. The train was probably blocking the crossing because someone ran around the gates to try to beat a train. Everyone is coruupt EXCEPT him.... He is an attorney hired gun. AND is clueless about the RR"s

Since: Oct 08

Crossville, TN

#22 Oct 21, 2008
JRR touched on the origins of this problem when he said "The railroads did not create the problems of urban sprawl and congested roads".

This problem arose when developers and local governments in all the Chicagoland suburbs decided that they could make a LOT of money by buying up farmland and putting in thousands of houses, condos and apartments and sell them to millions of people who couldn't afford to live in Chicago or the inner suburbs. The gummints also were delighted at the prospects of all the future revenue they would make from the vast number of new property tax payers.

But, they neglected to do adequate planning for just such instances as this: the need to work with the railroads to provide adequate access for pedestrian and vehicle traffic across the RR rights-of-way. They knew what the solution was: over/under passes for the cars and/or RR but that would have been reeeelly expensive and neither the railroads nor the city governments wanted to deal with the hassle of selling that to their constituents or, certainly not, levying those costs onto the developers.

So, folks living in the hugely overpopulated Chicagoland area are now stuck with infrastructure conflicts like this. That is just one of the reasons I left that area some 35 years ago (yep, it was already happening then).
shadow

United States

#23 Feb 2, 2009
2 words OFFROAD BABY YEEEHAAW!!

“More human than human.”

Since: Jan 09

North Suburbs of Chicago

#24 Feb 4, 2009
Countryside Fire (covers Mundelein) by design has stations on either side of the RR's so they can cover emergencies without having to cross tracks.
JBL

AOL

#25 Aug 27, 2009
Robert Pines is an idiot savant. PLease tell us Pinenuts just how will a steering wheel work on a train.....You need to stick to putting wings on cars so they can fly over crossings when a train is crossing....

Since: Nov 09

Westerville, OH

#26 Dec 5, 2009
Robert Pines wrote:
http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/cont ent/907
The Federal Railroad Administration WE pay $1.1 billion a year in to is obviously bedded down with the railroads in their merry-go-round approach to blocked crossings. What the hell is a Universal Vehicle Code and where is Universal Court judges?
The FEDs have gotten 1000s murdered with just the NO rules before the train rolls running down people crossing between railcars.
How much can a cell phone and loudspeaker cost? "Train is rolling in 60 seconds". OR a horn toot before the wheels roll?
Solution --- Get rid of the bought FEDS and judges.
Do you have any idea how nuts you are? You've posted hundreds of comments about tailroads online over the years. Why don't you focus on spending your time productively, instead of making baseless accusations? Don't you have a job? A family? Is this a productive way to live your life? Blogging all day accusing everyone of murder, bribery and deception? I'm sorry to say all this, but get a grip!
lucinda p

Nashville, TN

#27 Nov 24, 2013
Pines : what kind of drugs are you on?
lucinda p

Nashville, TN

#28 Jan 29, 2014
Robert Pines is an absolute moron. His wife was drunk when she tried to beat the train and lost. But he does not mention that. She committed a terrorist act and he needs to be investigated for terrorism. What she did cost the tax payer millions of dollars. Why is Homeland Sec not taking this lunitic pines and locking Jim up. She did not has an IID or PAC Installed in here car. Maybe then the attempt to murderer a train crew might not of happened.
Wmliedtke

Hammond, IN

#29 Mar 3, 2014
The trains crossing the two-way intersection at 169th st. and Kennedy Ave. which is a *main thoroughfare* is blocked every time the trains move Northeast toward Jupiter Aluminum. This is not a irregular occurance , but involves these North Est trains with some 150+ cars moving toward Jupiter aluminum at a very low rate of speed for a long time which tells me we are not looking at a *testing brakes* situation, but a regular occurance where train travels at approx. 3mph for about 8 minutes, stops completely for maybe 5 more minutes and tyhen resumes at this same very low rate of speed. This is done routinely at *rush hour* and the only way to ovoid would involve an illegal U-turn, heading exacyly away from the intersection to Cline avenue where you may pass over and then turn back to the opposite direction yo8u were heading. This maneuver will take about an additional 10-14 minutes not to mention the illegal U-turn. The train then ALWAYS stops for approx. 5-7 minutes and then resume moving bslowly at about 3 mph max.(it takes 15 seconds per car to pass) and the train is over 150 cars long. The average delay is 20-25 minutes, but has been as long as 1 hour.

What are the consequences IF a person were in an ambulance facing a stopped heart or a fire that the fire station could not reach for 20 minutes? Since this is TYPICAL and ROUTINE. would there be any recourse to the family experiencing the loss? A person could easily die due to the blockage. I understand that the village has options and the railroad is necessary, but since this is so ROUTINE, why can't something be done? A brake test is not the issue and it happens with each and every train-at rush hour- and there is no easy way around? What if my wife were on that ambulance and she died? Would I have recourse again the train Company or at least the municipality? I understand that the village has the right to erect an overpass, but this is so close to a major road (Kennedy Ave.) it would appear impractical. Could the trains not be shortened even if they are blocking more frequently? This is a scary situation as cars are pulling u-turns, pulling out all over the place, and no viable option is available to the commuter?
lucinda p

Nashville, TN

#31 Jan 12, 2015
Pines is retarded....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mundelein Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
accident 13 hr yocal 2
Kiefer best Jul 2 Phh 2
Austin Indiana and the HUGE HIV outbreak Jun 25 Pete urakalo 2
former lover n friend Jun 19 Me x 1
KIMBER FAITH VALEO-I AM A HORE-i go by chitown Jun 16 Dawn Pike 4
Blood drive in Wauconda Jun 15 brandy trujillo 1
Should I Tell? Jun 11 Guest 10
More from around the web

Mundelein People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE