Rhodes sentence upheld

Full story: GoErie.com 55
Teri Rhodes' lawyer asked Judge William R. Cunningham to retreat from the stance he had taken when he sentenced the former Mercyhurst College student to nine to 18 years in state prison for suffocating her ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Mom

Cleveland, OH

#43 Jan 29, 2009
I realize that this has been addressed in these forums before, but I have to ask the question once again. What in the world, has happened to personal responsibility? Why on earth do people keeping looking for others to blame when someone commits a heinous crime against an infant (or anyone else). Why do we seemingly choose to ignore the FACTS that surround these cases where children are lost forever, due to intention or negligence?(see the babysitter case - and oh yes, THIS girl didn't learn her lesson from the first tragedy and committed a moral crime by drinking while pregnant with another innocent life!!) And we are all supposed to feel sorry for these defendants because they have to serve the punishment they were given for their crimes? When will it end? Where is the regard for human life? It is absolutely jaw-dropping! I wholeheartedly applaud Judge Cunningham for holding this defendant accountable for actions that she, and she alone, took to murder her child, so that she could rid herself of the inconvenience or embarrassment of having a child at a time that didn't fit into her life plan. There have been too many cases recently, where innocent angels are taken from this earth, and the focus, amazingly, shines on the defendant, rather than the victims and their families. I, for one, cannot begin to comprehend it. And it takes a judge with conviction and stick-to-it-iveness like Judge Cunningham to uphold the decision he made and see that justice has been carried out. THANK YOU JUDGE CUNNINGHAM! THANK YOU!

fbl

Since: Jan 09

erie pa

#44 Jan 29, 2009
Tom wrote
Hey Chandu, Do you have any kids? Take an 18yr old to the doctor and your kid will need to sign papers to allow the doctor to discuss the kids medical issues with you.
The law recognizes an 18yr old as an adult and grants them total privacy, even if she lives with you and you're paying the medical bills. Parents (or any other adult) has NO authority over the medical decisions of an 18yr old child.

you are totally wrong on that one.I have a 18 yr old and i still have to sign for her to be released from school and medical decisions.Her report card comes in the mail to the Parent or guardian off.She is condidered an adult in the eyes of the law .But with her upbringening she still intrust me with all her decisions and lets me the parent help her make them.She should have trusted in her parents a little more and went for help.A strong moral and ethic relationship starts at home.
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#45 Jan 29, 2009
Hey mom, wake up and read. No one's saying that any others share in the blame for the murder.

Someone, me, is saying that a Catholic College failed to exercise it's responsibilities to its students, their parents, this community, and their Church by ignoring an obviously pregnant young woman in their care who was denying that obvious pregnancy and reporting for sports physicals in her 9th month.

A Mom wrote:
I realize that this has been addressed in these forums before, but I have to ask the question once again. What in the world, has happened to personal responsibility? Why on earth do people keeping looking for others to blame when someone commits a heinous crime against an infant (or anyone else). Why do we seemingly choose to ignore the FACTS that surround these cases where children are lost forever, due to intention or negligence?(see the babysitter case - and oh yes, THIS girl didn't learn her lesson from the first tragedy and committed a moral crime by drinking while pregnant with another innocent life!!) And we are all supposed to feel sorry for these defendants because they have to serve the punishment they were given for their crimes? When will it end? Where is the regard for human life? It is absolutely jaw-dropping! I wholeheartedly applaud Judge Cunningham for holding this defendant accountable for actions that she, and she alone, took to murder her child, so that she could rid herself of the inconvenience or embarrassment of having a child at a time that didn't fit into her life plan. There have been too many cases recently, where innocent angels are taken from this earth, and the focus, amazingly, shines on the defendant, rather than the victims and their families. I, for one, cannot begin to comprehend it. And it takes a judge with conviction and stick-to-it-iveness like Judge Cunningham to uphold the decision he made and see that justice has been carried out. THANK YOU JUDGE CUNNINGHAM! THANK YOU!
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#46 Jan 29, 2009
I think a whole lot could have been done by anyone not looking to hide behind red tape. The coach certainly believed she was pregnant and, regardless of her denial, that tummy indicated something serious was going on with her.

Physicals are things you pass or fail and failure has consequences especially for scholarship athletes. Lying to your coach also has consequences at most colleges.

Given the authority the coach had to act, and the responsibility he had to do so, what he chose to do was incredibly lame.

How about: "Not pregnant? You've failed your physical and I've called Emergycare to take you where they'll find out why you appear to be exploding".
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
While it would have been wonderful if someone had been able to stop her, there is no legal duty imposed with regard to a person who is legally an adult (in loco parentis typically stops at 18).
If you read the original sentencing memorandum, the court lays out everyone who intervened, or attempted to intervene, and how Rhodes lied to them repeatedly. They did take action to set up an ultrasound, because they didn't believe her lies, but she killed her child before the ultrasound would have taken place. A coach instructed her to take a pregnancy test, and even offered to pay for it. Once again, Rhodes lied; she said that she took the test and it was negative. Again, short of tying her down and doing a test on her, what more could have been done? She refused all efforts to talk about her situation, and denied the pregnancy existed - even as she was researching ways to kill her child.
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#47 Jan 29, 2009
Chandu wrote:
I think a whole lot could have been done by anyone not looking to hide behind red tape. The coach certainly believed she was pregnant and, regardless of her denial, that tummy indicated something serious was going on with her.
Physicals are things you pass or fail and failure has consequences especially for scholarship athletes. Lying to your coach also has consequences at most colleges.
Given the authority the coach had to act, and the responsibility he had to do so, what he chose to do was incredibly lame.
How about: "Not pregnant? You've failed your physical and I've called Emergycare to take you where they'll find out why you appear to be exploding".
<quoted text>
That was the whole point of the pregnancy test and the ultrasound.
Glenn

Erie, PA

#48 Jan 29, 2009
A Mom wrote:
I realize that this has been addressed in these forums before, but I have to ask the question once again. What in the world, has happened to personal responsibility? Why on earth do people keeping looking for others to blame when someone commits a heinous crime against an infant (or anyone else). Why do we seemingly choose to ignore the FACTS that surround these cases where children are lost forever, due to intention or negligence?(see the babysitter case - and oh yes, THIS girl didn't learn her lesson from the first tragedy and committed a moral crime by drinking while pregnant with another innocent life!!) And we are all supposed to feel sorry for these defendants because they have to serve the punishment they were given for their crimes? When will it end? Where is the regard for human life? It is absolutely jaw-dropping! I wholeheartedly applaud Judge Cunningham for holding this defendant accountable for actions that she, and she alone, took to murder her child, so that she could rid herself of the inconvenience or embarrassment of having a child at a time that didn't fit into her life plan. There have been too many cases recently, where innocent angels are taken from this earth, and the focus, amazingly, shines on the defendant, rather than the victims and their families. I, for one, cannot begin to comprehend it. And it takes a judge with conviction and stick-to-it-iveness like Judge Cunningham to uphold the decision he made and see that justice has been carried out. THANK YOU JUDGE CUNNINGHAM! THANK YOU!
This is the best post I have seen on this subject. You are so right. There was no one to blame in either of these cases except Brittany and Teri. But yet look at how many scapegoats were throw out in both cases. How sad that this is the character of a lot of our youths today. I guess maybe I shouldn't just point the finger at our youth, alot of the parents are this way. I would guess that this is why our youths don't feel the need to take responsibility.
Glenn

Erie, PA

#49 Jan 29, 2009
Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the whole point of the pregnancy test and the ultrasound.
I don't think there is any reasoning with her on this subject. She seems to have a real beef with the Catholic Church and Mercyhurst. Might as well let her be.
mrkihn

Chambersburg, PA

#50 Jan 29, 2009
Good Job Rusty

Since: Sep 08

ERIE, PA

#51 Jan 29, 2009
Chandu wrote:
Showing up for volleyball practice in your 35th week and denying your pregnancy is SANE?
I do have to agree to some extent here. If she was going to volleyball practice that late in pregnancy, the least they SHOULD have done was not to let her participate because of liability if she should become hurt. The doctor doing the physical SHOULD have noticed as well. HOWEVER, no one was responsible for what she did. Even if they didn't let her participate in sports, that would not have prevented the outcome. Hopefully she doesn't get out while she is in the appeals process. She needs to stay in jail and wait for her court date like the rest of the common criminals do.
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#52 Jan 30, 2009
Again: I'm not suggesting Mercyhurst people have any responsibility for what Rhodes did. But they have to be responsible for what they didn't do.

The 'insanity' of showing up for practice in her ninth month was sufficient, I think, for the coach to call for emergency transport and claim she was unable to provide 'informed consent' if she objected.

Asking her to get an ultrasound seems pretty lame. How could the coach pretend that she really didn't know she was pregnant? And, if that wasn't a pregnancy sticking out then it was certainly a medical situation demanding some immediate response.

"“Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying,‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Catholic institutions are called to a duty more stringent than the efficient bureaucratic shuffling of people and paperwork. Mercyhurst owes this community an explanation.
NAY NAY33 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do have to agree to some extent here. If she was going to volleyball practice that late in pregnancy, the least they SHOULD have done was not to let her participate because of liability if she should become hurt. The doctor doing the physical SHOULD have noticed as well. HOWEVER, no one was responsible for what she did. Even if they didn't let her participate in sports, that would not have prevented the outcome. Hopefully she doesn't get out while she is in the appeals process. She needs to stay in jail and wait for her court date like the rest of the common criminals do.
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#53 Jan 30, 2009
Chandu wrote:
Again: I'm not suggesting Mercyhurst people have any responsibility for what Rhodes did. But they have to be responsible for what they didn't do.
The 'insanity' of showing up for practice in her ninth month was sufficient, I think, for the coach to call for emergency transport and claim she was unable to provide 'informed consent' if she objected.
Asking her to get an ultrasound seems pretty lame. How could the coach pretend that she really didn't know she was pregnant? And, if that wasn't a pregnancy sticking out then it was certainly a medical situation demanding some immediate response.
"“Then he will say to those on his left,‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, saying,‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, saying,‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Catholic institutions are called to a duty more stringent than the efficient bureaucratic shuffling of people and paperwork. Mercyhurst owes this community an explanation.
<quoted text>
Apparently, you've never tried to involuntarily commit someone (which is what it would take to do what you're talking about). It isn't as easy as you make it sound.

An ultrasound for someone who has a "mass" in their abdomen yet denies they are pregnant (and claims to have taken a pregnancy test to the effect as well) would seem to be prudent; who could know that she would kill her child that weekend?
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#54 Jan 30, 2009
Well, I have had that experience once and you're right, it's not easy. But I was in a position where I had a moral obligation to the person. And the transport/admission was finally made thanks to the persistence of some EMTs.

And, the experience of being grilled by the EMT's might have changed the course of subsequent events for Rhodes too. We don't know.

At the least,it would have given her an experience outside the cocoon of easily duped Mercyhurst folks looking for a CYA.


Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, you've never tried to involuntarily commit someone (which is what it would take to do what you're talking about). It isn't as easy as you make it sound.
An ultrasound for someone who has a "mass" in their abdomen yet denies they are pregnant (and claims to have taken a pregnancy test to the effect as well) would seem to be prudent; who could know that she would kill her child that weekend?
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#55 Jan 30, 2009
Chandu wrote:
Well, I have had that experience once and you're right, it's not easy. But I was in a position where I had a moral obligation to the person. And the transport/admission was finally made thanks to the persistence of some EMTs.
And, the experience of being grilled by the EMT's might have changed the course of subsequent events for Rhodes too. We don't know.
At the least,it would have given her an experience outside the cocoon of easily duped Mercyhurst folks looking for a CYA.
<quoted text>
It's easy to Monday-morning-quarterback this whole situation. You have a girl who shows up for school a little heavier than she was, and showing a little bit - enough that the doctor asks her repeatedly if she's pregnant. When she says no, he says then there must be a reason for this abdominal protrusion, so we'll send her for an ultrasound, which was to take place a few days later (the doctor was on Thursday or Friday, ultrasound Monday). I can't imagine a more prudent course of action - until we know what she did that weekend.
Chandu

Hudson, OH

#56 Jan 30, 2009
Yes, it's easy to second guess and I wasn't there and Ms Rhodes may have seemed sincere enough to beguile all those people who had no reason to suspect what she was planning to do.
I hope, at least, for some 'monday morning quarterbacking' from Mercyhurst judging their own responses when the appeals process is ended.

Realist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy to Monday-morning-quarterback this whole situation. You have a girl who shows up for school a little heavier than she was, and showing a little bit - enough that the doctor asks her repeatedly if she's pregnant. When she says no, he says then there must be a reason for this abdominal protrusion, so we'll send her for an ultrasound, which was to take place a few days later (the doctor was on Thursday or Friday, ultrasound Monday). I can't imagine a more prudent course of action - until we know what she did that weekend.
Realist

Pittsburgh, PA

#57 Jan 30, 2009
Chandu wrote:
I hope, at least, for some 'monday morning quarterbacking' from Mercyhurst judging their own responses when the appeals process is ended.
<quoted text>
There we can agree. I hope they do reevaluate what they did, and see what they can do better in the future.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muncy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two Nabbed In Child Porn Investigation (Mar '14) Jan 13 Big Dog 3
tresspasser (Jun '14) Nov '14 longshot 4
Police report various incidents Sep '14 Michelle 1
New child support law in Pennsylvania to add $2... (May '08) Aug '14 Mee 199
Mary Jane Fonder says of Rhonda Smith murder, '... (Jan '10) Aug '14 Bucky Fushy 4
Two Pittsburgh men arrested with 75,000 bags of... (Jul '14) Jul '14 bacon hater 20
Bikers take over Erie (Jul '14) Jul '14 Doctor Jimmie Barker 9

Winter Storm Warning for Lycoming County was issued at January 31 at 2:57PM EST

Muncy Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Muncy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:14 pm PST

NBC Sports 5:14PM
Boston College's Ryan Day joins Philadelphia Eagles staff
NBC Sports 5:15 PM
Eagles hire Chip Kelly protege as quarterbacks coach
Bleacher Report 6:12 PM
5 Mistakes Steelers Can't Repeat in Offseason
Bleacher Report 9:03 PM
Should Eagles Target Upgrades at WR?
Bleacher Report 9:30 PM
5 Changes Eagles Must Make This Offseason