Allentown explores plan to turn trees...

Allentown explores plan to turn trees into cash

There are 77 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Allentown explores plan to turn trees into cash. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski may turn to an unusual -- and controversial -- source of revenue to help the city's ailing budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
ex-allentonian

Easton, PA

#68 Jul 13, 2009
I have seen signs when I come into Allentown that say...Keep Allentown Beautiful...So I guess what they mean is lets cut down the trees in the wooded areas and keep all the scum on the streets....I THINK IT'S TIME FOR PAWLAWSKI AND ALL THE OTHER PENCIL PUSHERS TO START TAKING PAYCUTS...NOW THAT WOULD HELP WITH THE REVENUE!!!
Little Lehigh

Allentown, PA

#69 Jul 13, 2009
The best idea is not to selective timber harvest the mountain. The mountain should be left alone. The soils are sandy and stony, the slopes are steep and erosive and there is little to gain except to pollute Allentowns only water resource --the Little Lehigh Creek.

I only envision this plan as a method of gaining an additional access to the Kravitz and Brill property to develop this portion of the mountain. Everyone who reads these blogs should go to the next council meeting and express your displeasure with this idea.
AmyG

Allentown, PA

#70 Jul 13, 2009
I just found this information on the web:

Environmental Advisory Committee Meeting Tonight 7/13/09!!!

When: 5-7:30PM
Where: City Hall; 3rd Floor Conference Room

Anyone going?
New Law

Roseland, NJ

#71 Jul 13, 2009
Gotta love this dump of a city. Not only does it remind me of the bloodiest of boogars, but now they want to destroy what little sanctuary they have? What a joke....
Trouble In Paradise

Allentown, PA

#72 Jul 13, 2009
michael molovinsky wrote:
this morning i commented, deleted comment #5, how my blog post of july 2, entitled Timber, inspired this article. actually my posting was the uncredited source of this article, apparently the morning call deleted my comment.
http://www.molovinskyonallentown.blogspot.com...
Aw, Mikey, this is such a shame :) but you should have known better than to 'make your bed' in a snake pit. There's snakes in there! And you just got bit. Boo Hoo. Go back to South Whitehall Township w/ daddy's trust fund.
local

Blue Bell, PA

#73 Jul 13, 2009
"Any commercial logging plan would require construction of roads, albeit temporary, to help haul the timber off the mountain, Chronister said.

It also would alter the appearance of the mountain.''There's no doubt, the mountain would not look the same,'' he said.

The management plan may also recommend creating vistas, a parking lot and trail network to increase access, Chronister said."

"A parking lot" where drug deals more conveniently can take place.
Tom

United States

#74 Jul 13, 2009
Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski needs to be stopped. We cut down enough tree's. Tree's = oxygen Keep cutting down all the tree's and pretty soon the earth oxygen levels will start dropping to dangerous levels. Simple math..
Sue

Macungie, PA

#75 Jul 13, 2009
WOW - the UN-greening of America!!!!
I must have read this wrong!!!!! I liked Ho-hum's idea - "If the tree falls - let it be on Ed.
No, No, NO. I thought we were on a GREEN theme- This truly must be a Joke story!!! No one - not even Ed could be this stupid!!!
Sue

Macungie, PA

#76 Jul 13, 2009
Truly now - Explain - Go Green, NOT Go Away Green. Didn't I understand that at all???? And where is the Wildlands on this???? Really?? They surely have become "it's a mystery" foundation!!!!!
Resident

Quakertown, PA

#77 Jul 13, 2009
Give the guy a break, CEO ED needs to come up with smart new ideas to justify his 55% salary increase next year
sm hobo

United States

#78 Jul 13, 2009
The Mayor should just come clean: he wants Allentown's S. Mountain developed like Salisbury's S. Mountain. Go up S. Church St. and make a right on Greenwood into the woods above Waldheim Park and see what desolation can come to you too! Then again, S. Mountain above Reading looks very picturesque. Why wait Mayor just say it is time to cover the hill with houses; big expensive houses.
SalisburyResiden t

AOL

#79 Jul 13, 2009
A majority of seventy-three comments allude to what a preposterously bad idea this is, in spite of some opinions on the wisdom of "managing" woodlands.
Rome is burning and this is the best Pawlowski can come up with? He's chasing pennies while the city is hemorrhaging dollars. Of course, he IS turning public attention away from the really critical issues that are destroying Allentown.
And for that alone, he deserves to be turned out of office. To say nothing of his lack of imagination, failure to table meaningful and substantive discussions, and failure to project the kind of leadership Allentown desperately needs. He appears wa-a-y too political....and he's wasting our time on this one.
uninformed public

Easton, PA

#80 Jul 13, 2009
Palumpashitsky must be in the pocket of a few of the fine developers that the lehigh valley has produced GFYITA!
RASBUTON

Easton, PA

#81 Jul 15, 2009
uninformed public wrote:
Palumpashitsky must be in the pocket of a few of the fine developers that the lehigh valley has produced GFYITA!
Please can you tell me the names of the developers that have the handle on this situation.
Sue S

Allentown, PA

#82 Jul 20, 2009
What is Pawlowski smoking? Just when you think he has totally gone off the deep end, you find out there is more maddness coming. He needs to be ousted.

Since: Jul 09

Penn Yan, NY

#83 Jul 20, 2009
yesh!
ImTiredOf_It

Mountain Top, PA

#84 Jul 20, 2009
This guy is totally nuts! Cut government---PAYROLL--NOT TREES. I'm beginning to hate this man.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muncy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Mar '16 Drums leprechaun 54
News Theater Marquee Drums Up Controversy in Muncy Jan '16 Richard Allen 1
tresspasser (Jun '14) Nov '15 Missing her 8
What happened to the Barto thread? (May '10) Nov '15 Kcp 373
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Aug '15 Archie Bunker 8
Mary Griggs of Mountoursville (Apr '15) Jul '15 Allan 2
News Bill seeks to limit pension burdens (Jun '15) Jun '15 silly rabbit 1

Muncy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Muncy Mortgages