Allentown explores plan to turn trees...

Allentown explores plan to turn trees into cash

There are 77 comments on the The Morning Call story from Jul 12, 2009, titled Allentown explores plan to turn trees into cash. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski may turn to an unusual -- and controversial -- source of revenue to help the city's ailing budget.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ho Hum

Allentown, PA

#1 Jul 12, 2009
If Pawlowski was knocked down by a falling tree in the middle of the forest, would there be any noise? Would anybody care?
cat kid

Bethlehem, PA

#2 Jul 12, 2009
i am sure environmentalists would have no problem with this, hehe
Freedom Fighters

Allentown, PA

#3 Jul 12, 2009
Everyone has a good idea now and then.
Gene Pool Lifeguard

Slatington, PA

#4 Jul 12, 2009
What a COS (container of excrement). For millions of years forests have flourished without being groomed by men for it's own health. Oh, but it's not really about money though.

I never had much of an opinion on Ed, but now I see why so many on this forum think he's an idiot.

Why don't the state thin out blue mountain right away. It looks really unhealthy. Way to much green
Rock Star Hultman

Sparta, NJ

#7 Jul 12, 2009
It's always about the money especially when they say it's not about the money. It's a tax on Bambi.
I hope

Bethlehem, PA

#8 Jul 12, 2009
I hope every tree is cut down; so we can see who is paying so little in property taxes. Most of the burden has been shifted to those house at the bottom of the hill through the clean and green act an other legislation. Remember we keep reelecting them or do we.

We need to keep more people involved during election time to sure that they don't count the votes with a phony tally.

We should demand all voting software be publicly open source as well as a paper ballet.

We have some really bad con people here in the valley and were paying a hefty price for it.
Mary Jane

Bethlehem, PA

#10 Jul 12, 2009
Just last week I heard someone say that many of them with over ten acre of land are paying as little as one hundred dollars for there property.

The entitlement legislation isn't being regulated and many of them don't live of to the requirements.

So yeah let's cut everyone of those trees downs and see those little bastards who are ripping us off.
I hope wrote:
I hope every tree is cut down; so we can see who is paying so little in property taxes. Most of the burden has been shifted to those house at the bottom of the hill through the clean and green act an other legislation. Remember we keep reelecting them or do we.
We need to keep more people involved during election time to sure that they don't count the votes with a phony tally.
We should demand all voting software be publicly open source as well as a paper ballet.
We have some really bad con people here in the valley and were paying a hefty price for it.
AmyG

Allentown, PA

#11 Jul 12, 2009
Eddie is trying to patch a bald tire with this latest short-sighted scheme. He is spending $7500 just to have a consultant think up this plan??? That is coming out of someone's paycheck! Why wasn't the City's very own EAC consulted first? They are already on payroll!

It makes me to sick to think about the habitat that will be lost when all of these "low value" trees are plowed down. And, of course, they will be sold instead of leaving them "in a trash heap." That part is such a joke. Anyone who has any understanding of science knows that downed trees provide habitat for animals and go back into the soil("rot") to bring nutrients to the earth! That is why you WANT a forest to be mixed....not just one or two species of trees?!!

To those who don't care about trees, I hope you educate yourselves about where OXYGEN comes from. Of course, if you are ignorant to the importance of the environment, you are probably breathing more than your fair share to begin with...

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#12 Jul 12, 2009
The city is not thinking big enough!

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-loggers/...

I sense that these trees are not really worth relatively all that much, so why not get additional revenue by showing the crews doing the work!

“Cool Logic - Burning Passion”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#13 Jul 12, 2009
BTW, I do not necessarily agree with logging this area. Seriously, does it make the forested area more healthy in the long run? What happened before we all got here/ Who did the cutting and harvesting then? You practicing Forestry majors out there. What say you? What does the county agent say? Do we even have one any more?
dave

Allentown, PA

#14 Jul 12, 2009
With all of the problems this city has
how can numnuts be worried about the health of the mountain.

To say it is not about money is horse shit, seems the mountain and the forest
is about the only thing that works right in this town.

I will do what ever I can to prevent the city from fingup the mountain.
The scum hispanics will take over any park you put there, just like they do at canal park. Now they will just have the high ground.
snowman allentown PA

United States

#15 Jul 12, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
The city is not thinking big enough!
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/american-loggers/...
I sense that these trees are not really worth relatively all that much, so why not get additional revenue by showing the crews doing the work!
I'd rather watch the mayor work, that would be new. And perhaps we could cut down(thin out) the housing between front st and 15th st and martin luther king blvd to greenleaf st. That might even get rid of some of the problems in the city.
Truth

Harleysville, PA

#17 Jul 12, 2009
AmyG wrote:
Eddie is trying to patch a bald tire with this latest short-sighted scheme. He is spending $7500 just to have a consultant think up this plan??? That is coming out of someone's paycheck! Why wasn't the City's very own EAC consulted first? They are already on payroll!
The EAC does not get paid. Please know what you are talking about before you speak.
ace

Bethlehem, PA

#18 Jul 12, 2009
Cutting roads and removing trees will probably kill many animals too. The activity will push the deer population down into the city where they will run into the streets and get killed by cars - people could get killed too! But it would be interesting to have a tree inventory. The country of Japan has a complete inventory of EVERY tree in the country; they know exactly what they have in their forrests, but they don't cut them down.
Mr. Mayor, we need to focus on redeveloping spaces primed for development like swaths of land along South 12th street, NOT cutting down our natural beauty.
Mike

Harleysville, PA

#19 Jul 12, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
BTW, I do not necessarily agree with logging this area. Seriously, does it make the forested area more healthy in the long run? What happened before we all got here/ Who did the cutting and harvesting then? You practicing Forestry majors out there. What say you? What does the county agent say? Do we even have one any more?
Before we got here invasive species did not overgrow the forests. When the forests did clean themselves it was via a lightning strike and a huge fire.

South Mountain was clear cut many times throughout the 1800s and earlier 1900s. This forest should be managed. If the city can make a few bucks while they are at it, why not.
ggg

Wilkes Barre, PA

#20 Jul 12, 2009
StaberDearth wrote:
And yes it actually does make a healthier forest if done correctly!
John

Wilburton, PA

#21 Jul 12, 2009
Ok the trees get cut down but who is going to pay for the mess and clean up afterwords?I know of a campground that did this for money and now their property and scenery is destroyed.
Tree hugging

Macungie, PA

#22 Jul 12, 2009
I want to see the environmental nuts who are in the city's management, chain themselves to the trees in order to save the forest.

All this talk about transparency and vision and openness and letting the community get involved in decisions, and this project was put forward under the cloak of secrecy.

This Mayor is going to get re-elected simply because the general populace hasn't a clue as to what is really going on. This is another example.

Wait 'til the trees along Hamilton near Cedar Beach are cut down and sold to 'thin out' the forest.
Cmoyer

New Hope, PA

#23 Jul 12, 2009
What is the matter with this man, first he wants to ruin Cedar Beach and now he wants to cut the trees down? Global warming is caused because people like him are cutting down trees in the rain forest. The animals are invading people's houses because of people like him taking away their natural homes. Mayor Polaski, cut your own paycheck and live on $7.50 an hour like most of the rest of Allentown is making.
preacha

Stroudsburg, PA

#24 Jul 12, 2009
Laughable. There are so many reliable free sources to obtain the same information. There are state agencies with foresters and the lumber mills have licensed foresters that would analyze the woods for free. They do the same thing - recommendations as to what to cut, and not cut, for the forest's health as well as providing an inventory and estimate on timber value. This inventory is a good idea - but don't cut the trees until the market goes back up. Right now, they're not worth much, it would be a waste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muncy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tresspasser (Jun '14) Dec '16 Jenwance 9
News Democrat candidate for PA Atty General Josh Sha... (Nov '16) Nov '16 mike kelley 2
Greg Drollinger Gets Patrolman of the year? (Feb '09) Jul '16 Amos Chipotle 3
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Mar '16 Drums leprechaun 54
News Theater Marquee Drums Up Controversy in Muncy (Jan '16) Jan '16 Richard Allen 1
What happened to the Barto thread? (May '10) Nov '15 Kcp 373
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Pennsylvan... (Oct '10) Aug '15 Archie Bunker 8

Muncy Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Muncy Mortgages