Sallisaw police chief admits taking petty cash, city official says

Jan 22, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NewsOK.com

Sallisaw Police Chief Shaloa Edwards told city officials he took less than $100 in petty cash and is now under formal investigation.

Comments
101 - 120 of 251 Comments Last updated Mar 12, 2014
Really

Oklahoma City, OK

#106 Feb 12, 2013
Seriously- wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not hostile. But if you read and understood them, then you would understand why Mr. Bennett was trying to bring to light how last nights proceedings were unconstitutional. I do not think it is right that you assume someone's wife is crazy, or that she may have put him up to doing her bidding. Frankly, without solid proof that she has been committed to a mental institution, your statement is lible and you could very well have a lawsuit on your hands for defamation of character. And before you go assuming I'm in somehow related to any of the involved parties- I assure you, I am not from your city, I do not reside there now, and I certainly do not have any family there. The story interests me, and I find it amusing and disheartening how ignorant people from your city are. They simply don't know the facts. Truth is? I have visited Sallisaw several times and find it a quaint town; and while most of the people I encountered during my travels were friendly, they weren't very educated. Which is what I find so fascinating about this entire story; people equating shoplifting from walmart to borrowing petty cash. It's simply absurd!
Really, you want to talk about defamation of character when you just callled the whole town ignorant and uneducated! Who the Hell do you think you are? Obviously you have been hanging around your crack head friends and not the many intelligent and educated citizens of Sallisaw who do give a damn about this town and are trying to do the right thing and get the whole situation under control.....with MORALS and DIGNITY!
JAG

United States

#107 Feb 12, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, you want to talk about defamation of character when you just callled the whole town ignorant and uneducated! Who the Hell do you think you are? Obviously you have been hanging around your crack head friends and not the many intelligent and educated citizens of Sallisaw who do give a damn about this town and are trying to do the right thing and get the whole situation under control.....with MORALS and DIGNITY!
Amen to that! We have our share of hillbillies and uneducated dopers too but there are many who are educated and caring wonderful people who are residing in this town. West Virginia isn't a bastion of higher education either so he needs to back off and shut the hell up on things he obviously knows nothing about!
Seriously-

Wheeling, WV

#108 Feb 12, 2013
I guess it's a good thing I don't reside in West Virginia; I'm one of those damn Yankees from New York City, who travels a lot. And I didn't claim your entire city was full of uneducated people- but I have met several in my visits. I have also met several very well spoken and educated people. Your town is actually one of my favorite ones to write about due to the southern hospitality I always receive when there. What upsets me is the fact that many of the people (read the previous posts), are comparing what the COP did to that of shoplifting from walmart. I never said I agreed with what your COP did; but I disagree with how the townspeople of Sallisaw unfairly judged him, without trial. If you are all so unhappy about what he did; stop your gripping and do something about it. There are steps to have him removed from his position-as stated in your cities charter. And publicly calling someone crazy, without a diagnosis, is libel. Period. End of story. I have a Bachelors of Science, where I majored in English and Minored in law. So, I too, am educated. However, since I am away from my laptop, I posted all my comments, via my smartphone- due to the small keyboard, I misspelled some words; however- I would say almost every post in this site has a grammatical and/or spelling error in it a including yours, JAG. And I have no, "crack-head friends either.' Thank you. My friends do not partake in those types of extra-curricular activities. They chose to exercise.
Now, if you want to sit there and ridicule the COP for taking the money, perhaps you should research other activities the law enforcement officials in Sallisaw have committed... Stealing cattle, harassing accident victims, shooting an unarmed mother, who was clutching her 4 year old child when the police burst through her door-
And found nothing. My point was that if the COP committed a crime, he should be arrested, and have a trial, where he would be judged. It is unfair for everyone on here to convict him without a trial. And that is what's being done. Yet, he still sits as your COP...?
two sides

Oklahoma City, OK

#109 Feb 12, 2013
Seriously- wrote:
I guess it's a good thing I don't reside in West Virginia; I'm one of those damn Yankees from New York City, who travels a lot. And I didn't claim your entire city was full of uneducated people- but I have met several in my visits. I have also met several very well spoken and educated people. Your town is actually one of my favorite ones to write about due to the southern hospitality I always receive when there. What upsets me is the fact that many of the people (read the previous posts), are comparing what the COP did to that of shoplifting from walmart. I never said I agreed with what your COP did; but I disagree with how the townspeople of Sallisaw unfairly judged him, without trial. If you are all so unhappy about what he did; stop your gripping and do something about it. There are steps to have him removed from his position-as stated in your cities charter. And publicly calling someone crazy, without a diagnosis, is libel. Period. End of story. I have a Bachelors of Science, where I majored in English and Minored in law. So, I too, am educated. However, since I am away from my laptop, I posted all my comments, via my smartphone- due to the small keyboard, I misspelled some words; however- I would say almost every post in this site has a grammatical and/or spelling error in it a including yours, JAG. And I have no, "crack-head friends either.' Thank you. My friends do not partake in those types of extra-curricular activities. They chose to exercise.
Now, if you want to sit there and ridicule the COP for taking the money, perhaps you should research other activities the law enforcement officials in Sallisaw have committed... Stealing cattle, harassing accident victims, shooting an unarmed mother, who was clutching her 4 year old child when the police burst through her door-
And found nothing. My point was that if the COP committed a crime, he should be arrested, and have a trial, where he would be judged. It is unfair for everyone on here to convict him without a trial. And that is what's being done. Yet, he still sits as your COP...?
Libel...one of your favorite threats. I've seen none. Now if a person has a history of mental illness I can see how it would be upsetting to be called crazy. Otherwise it's as common as making blonde jokes.

I'm not sure why you keep emphasizing COP. The law applies to all and as a whole, citizens expect more from law enforcement than anyone else. Just like a preacher or youth minister is held to higher standards. Is it right? Maybe not but its reality. And again, the amount is inconsequential. It's FACT that he admitted to taking public funds (no trial necessary) and either doesn't believe or can't admit that he did anything wrong. What an ego to believe he is above the law. Would these same people who are supporting him now, support il him if he is found to have embezzled more than he admitted to? I'm not accusing him of any more than he admitted to, but what is the cutoff?$100?$100,000? It doesn't mater how much.$1 is too much, especially if you are in a position of trust. I don't see a lot of protect and serve going on.
Petty

Oklahoma City, OK

#110 Feb 12, 2013
Seriously- wrote:
Someone who embezzles, fraudulently appropriates money to use for their own personal gain. He wrote IOU's, he didn't come upon the money fraudulently. Atleast one other person knew exactly who took the money, when it was taken, and how much was owed. Therefore, it's not embezzlement. The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation won't do anything for the same reason the city's DA didn't; no crime was committed. Edwards covered himself by leaving IOU's.
Exactly.
Big Girl Panties

Sallisaw, OK

#111 Feb 12, 2013
@ Seriously...as you can clearly see by now, you are wasting your time trying to get these holier than thou citizens who have never done a wrong thing in their lives to understand what is really going on here. They are apparently so busy worrying about 'petty cash' that they have failed to realize that they just lost the right to have a decision in who will now be the Chief of Police of our fine city...ooops !!!!
JAG

United States

#112 Feb 12, 2013
Seriously- wrote:
Yes I put a double negative in a sentence and after I posted it I realized my mistake but I always think faster than I type!

The whole point is breaking the law and I totally disagree with rationalizing the transgression. He broke the law and he did it understanding it was breaking the law and he's taken money from the kitty repeatedly in the past...this isn't the only problem that has arisen. Speaking of fair treatment, he is receiving fair treatment, he has admitted to the crime, now the only thing left to decide is exactly what is the appropriate punishment for the crime. Perhaps he will resign and save all of us from pursuit of a legal remedy.

As far as the post talking about a person being insane/crazy I happen to agree that is a very harsh defamatory statement to make about a person and since she is widely known because of her husband she would have a higher profile than the average run of the mill citizen therefore more damage potentially. To my knowledge she's never received any treatment for mental illness and even if she had I think that is something that is better left off of public speculation on a thread.

What got my ire up about your post was the blanket labeling and that isn't true about this area. There are certainly those who aren't educated and those that would fit in that hillbilly description but having said that there are also some very fine individuals and some that are highly educated that live here. Your post was meant to be insulting then you act surprise when someone is insulted...go figure!
WhatSayYou

United States

#113 Feb 12, 2013
JAG wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I put a double negative in a sentence and after I posted it I realized my mistake but I always think faster than I type!
The whole point is breaking the law and I totally disagree with rationalizing the transgression. He broke the law and he did it understanding it was breaking the law and he's taken money from the kitty repeatedly in the past...this isn't the only problem that has arisen. Speaking of fair treatment, he is receiving fair treatment, he has admitted to the crime, now the only thing left to decide is exactly what is the appropriate punishment for the crime. Perhaps he will resign and save all of us from pursuit of a legal remedy.
As far as the post talking about a person being insane/crazy I happen to agree that is a very harsh defamatory statement to make about a person and since she is widely known because of her husband she would have a higher profile than the average run of the mill citizen therefore more damage potentially. To my knowledge she's never received any treatment for mental illness and even if she had I think that is something that is better left off of public speculation on a thread.
What got my ire up about your post was the blanket labeling and that isn't true about this area. There are certainly those who aren't educated and those that would fit in that hillbilly description but having said that there are also some very fine individuals and some that are highly educated that live here. Your post was meant to be insulting then you act surprise when someone is insulted...go figure!
I've read all your posts on this thread and you make perfect sense and you have posted very clearly even those without a college degree would easily understand so I don't know why the dude from West Virginia or New York or wherever he wants to say he's from...should have any issues with understanding. But alas he does have a problem even though he claims his minor was law. lol.

Chief Edwards was just caught with his hand in the cookie jar, plain and simple. You never have the right to take city funds and use it for personal use that's just rules and regulations 101 and any rookie would know better!
Big Girl Panties

Sallisaw, OK

#114 Feb 12, 2013
Just a few questions, I'm sure no one will answer them but here goes anyway. Who was the person in charge of the funds that were used by the Chief and why is that person not in hot water for being an accessory to "the crime"? Did this person have knowledge that the Chief had used these funds in the past? Also, is the change in the city ordinance just temporary or does the city manager now and forever have control of the police department? Waiting patiently for answers....
really

Sallisaw, OK

#115 Feb 12, 2013
What did they do to him if anything
Hilarious

Sallisaw, OK

#116 Feb 12, 2013
At least this has made Facebook entertaining. I thought the attorney general was going to quarantine Sallisaw today and right the wrong. Amazing what comes out of woodwork.
Whats brown and round

Sallisaw, OK

#117 Feb 12, 2013
English and a minor in law....TOUGH SUBJECTS, buddy. Anyways, wtf is this about John Bennett? What did he do? Someone give me the scoop. I think John Bennett is a douche, but he is also educated, he has a Bachelor's from University of Phoenix. So remember that whoever said he was uneducated.
Lmao

Sallisaw, OK

#118 Feb 13, 2013
U of Phoenix. That is just to funny. Isn't that about a step up from Vo tech.
WhatSayYou

United States

#119 Feb 13, 2013
Lmao wrote:
U of Phoenix. That is just to funny. Isn't that about a step up from Vo tech.
Think it's funny? So what is your further education creditials?
Lmao

Sallisaw, OK

#120 Feb 13, 2013
I have a masters in common sense!!!!! Lmao
Hey Nicole

Sallisaw, OK

#121 Feb 13, 2013
Where is that Attorney General entourage that was supposed to fix all the unconstitutional wrongs that took place. Did John get lost on way to city? I remember he had a hard time finding the capital to vote last year!
Finally

Sallisaw, OK

#122 Feb 13, 2013
At least we have some new drama in Sallisaw, someone new to talk about, trashing someone's name the way we would not want to be done to us. I believe we will find out that there is a lot behind this.
two sides

Oklahoma City, OK

#124 Feb 13, 2013
Finally wrote:
At least we have some new drama in Sallisaw, someone new to talk about, trashing someone's name the way we would not want to be done to us. I believe we will find out that there is a lot behind this.
I believe there is more. It will come out, hopefully in the next 90 days, but people need to look past the amount of money. They also need to understand that he's still the police chief.
Big Girl Panties

Sallisaw, OK

#125 Feb 13, 2013
two sides wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there is more. It will come out, hopefully in the next 90 days, but people need to look past the amount of money. They also need to understand that he's still the police chief.
Yes he is still the chief..but he has no power over the everyday running of the department. People really do need to realize that this can very possibly be just the beginning of the change to an appointed chief instead of an elected one. The Southwest Times had a very interesting article on how the city manager changed the wording of the city charter, then made it retroactive to fit his agenda...
two sides

Oklahoma City, OK

#126 Feb 13, 2013
Big Girl Panties wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he is still the chief..but he has no power over the everyday running of the department. People really do need to realize that this can very possibly be just the beginning of the change to an appointed chief instead of an elected one. The Southwest Times had a very interesting article on how the city manager changed the wording of the city charter, then made it retroactive to fit his agenda...
There has been no change to the city charter. If you believe everything you read you're going to end up a sad, broken, destitute person. Also, you choose to ignore that the authority to run the police department has been removed temporarily. Wouldn't you prefer not to take access to the cookie jar away from the Cookie Monster until it can be determined what all was taken? Or if there's more to this story? The commission repealed an ordinance and enacted a different one. That was a separate issue from the vote to remove authority. That authority can be returned if the chief is cleared of all allegations.

Instead of assuming you know all about this issue, why not go to city hall and ask about allegations of wrong-doing in the police department and what those investigations have found since our present chief has been in office. I think you might find out more than you want to know.

Are you supporters just assuming that none of the commissioners have a mind of their own? I know one withdrew his support of the chief after hearing what he had to say. Maybe you should have been at the meeting to hear the facts first hand instead if relying on the media.

Where is the grand jury? I hope someone gets it together. Maybe we can bring to light corruption in other offices also.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muldrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the DA is a joke (Feb '13) 9 min Ready for a change 7
OK OK Health Care Freedom Amendment, State Questio... (Oct '10) 1 hr Donnie 75,147
Who do you support for Governor in Oklahoma in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr So What 2,630
animal pound (Oct '12) Thu Not Impressed 38
New Mayor a Mistake Wed Time to go 67
Teen in Serious Condition After ATV Accident (Sep '13) Wed pray for mayberry 80
sorry city Wed Joe 2
•••
•••

Muldrow Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••