Sallisaw police chief admits taking p...

Sallisaw police chief admits taking petty cash, city official says

There are 251 comments on the NewsOK.com story from Jan 22, 2013, titled Sallisaw police chief admits taking petty cash, city official says. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Sallisaw Police Chief Shaloa Edwards told city officials he took less than $100 in petty cash and is now under formal investigation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

Janelle

United States

#41 Jan 27, 2013
He's a sicko probably one of those sex offenders listed on the law enforcement website.
good grief

Fort Smith, AR

#42 Jan 27, 2013
Next time one of you whiners gets pulled over for something be sure and tell the officer to follow the letter of the law ... dont asked to be let off with a warning !!
JAG

United States

#43 Jan 27, 2013
As long as they do the same for their family and friends? Remember the law is supposed to be blind and apply to everyone equally.
Shaloa

Whitney, TX

#44 Jan 27, 2013
If the citizens didn't want the chief to buy clothes on a city credit card, take his family on a vacation to Washington DC in the city vehicle and put his hotel on the city credit card, buy a new TV for his family on the city credit card and be able to grab his lunch money from city money they would not have elected him !!!
And that car tag was on a vehicle that didn't need it so why not put it on his personal vehicle - just a few perks of being an elected chief.
Sallisaw Nazi

Fort Smith, AR

#45 Jan 28, 2013
Hail Shaloa! Hail Shaloa! Hail Sholoa!
Good Grief

Fort Smith, AR

#46 Jan 28, 2013
Next time one of you whiners gets pulled over be sure the officer writes you a ticket, and not let you go with a warning.
z

Fort Smith, AR

#47 Jan 31, 2013
Good Grief wrote:
Next time one of you whiners gets pulled over be sure the officer writes you a ticket, and not let you go with a warning.
Well Pam I think there is a big difference between a traffic violation and a felony... Such as embezzling
Big Girl Panties

Sallisaw, OK

#48 Jan 31, 2013
z wrote:
<quoted text>
Well Pam I think there is a big difference between a traffic violation and a felony... Such as embezzling
Embezzling...I think you need to look the term up, Wikpedia would be a good place to start. If you will read the entire definition of the term, you will see that it means "to secretly misappropriate funds or property". There was nothing secretive about what happened, he left an IOU with his name on it. He did wrong, no doubt about it, but to make this into a federal case is totally ridiculous. By the way, I would like to know just what the petty cash fund is used for and how much money is kept in it. Anyone out there know?
Wow

Fort Smith, AR

#49 Jan 31, 2013
If a bank teller took $60 and left an IOU would they keep a job? What if they did it several times?
above the law

United States

#50 Feb 1, 2013
I'm not a lowly bank teller l AM THE LAW!!! Get over it nothing will come of this!! And I will do it again and again lol
Donnie

United States

#51 Feb 1, 2013
Look at Washington D.C. and then take the blinders off and look at our local officials. Some think they are above the law and untouchable. When that happens and they break the very laws they are hired to enforce then it's time to fire and press charges if appropriate and hire someone who actually wants to follow the rule of law!

Nothing personal about any of this. We as citizens shouldn't allow such shoddy disregard for the rule of law which is required in a civil society.
Donnie

United States

#52 Feb 1, 2013
Big Girl Panties wrote:
<quoted text>
Embezzling...I think you need to look the term up, Wikpedia would be a good place to start. If you will read the entire definition of the term, you will see that it means "to secretly misappropriate funds or property". There was nothing secretive about what happened, he left an IOU with his name on it. He did wrong, no doubt about it, but to make this into a federal case is totally ridiculous. By the way, I would like to know just what the petty cash fund is used for and how much money is kept in it. Anyone out there know?
Edwards was using city funds for personal use so he embezzled city funds putting an I.O.U. in petty cash then adding insult to injury he didn't pay it back and that's what brought all this to public knowledge. Doesn't change the fact it was breaking the law the first time he did it and for him to say he didn't see anything wrong in his actions just shows how delusional and untouchable he thinks he is. Edwards acts as if we are in the wrong for refusing to accept his personal usage of petty cash...so you tell me who the arrogrant azz is? Just who doesn't respect the law?
Wonderful

Fort Smith, AR

#53 Feb 1, 2013
Bobbie wrote:
City Police cannot use petty cash for personal use..period. So Capt. Beau Gabbert is correct it is a violation. According to the article the civilian employee contacted Chief Edwards because the money still hadn't been paid back.
I think Chief Edwards should take responsibility for violating the rules and regulations of his office and resign saving all of us the further stress of dealing with his bad behavior. It would save the D.A. from spending time, energy and money on prosecuting him also. He needs to admit publicly to the violation and pay resitution, a fine may also be appropriate then resign.
Perhaps the next person who holds that position will respect it a little more!
He had no intention of paying back
Bobbie

United States

#54 Feb 1, 2013
Wonderful wrote:
<quoted text>
He had no intention of paying back
Oh but he would say he only borrowed the money and had every "intention" of paying it back. Then time passes and nobody says anything and it's sweeped under the rug and we all pretend we have integrity in the police department.

The only difference this time is someone had the integrity to not ignore what was going on. Now we will see how it's handled to see just how far integrity goes in Sequoyah County....I'm not going to hold my breath!

Sorry, I know to many instances of "good ol' boys"...
He done it!

Fort Smith, AR

#55 Feb 1, 2013
Big Girl Panties wrote:
<quoted text>Embezzling...I think you need to look the term up, Wikpedia would be a good place to start. If you will read the entire definition of the term, you will see that it means "to secretly misappropriate funds or property". There was nothing secretive about what happened, he left an IOU with his name on it. He did wrong, no doubt about it, but to make this into a federal case is totally ridiculous. By the way, I would like to know just what the petty cash fund is used for and how much money is kept in it. Anyone out there know?
Listen scumbag I don't care if you are the chiefs old lady... You get on here and start talking shit about stuff you know nothing about! I am going to set you straight and when done go back to the kitchen where you can be seen an not heard.

Getting the definition of embezzlement from Wikpedia is fine, but it means nothing other than a rounded definition.

The courts have to use definitions and laws wrote by the state legislation. Not some pot head on Wikpedia!
bull crap

United States

#56 Feb 2, 2013
Donnie wrote:
Look at Washington D.C. and then take the blinders off and look at our local officials. Some think they are above the law and untouchable. When that happens and they break the very laws they are hired to enforce then it's time to fire and press charges if appropriate and hire someone who actually wants to follow the rule of law!

Nothing personal about any of this. We as citizens shouldn't allow such shoddy disregard for the rule of law which is required in a civil society.
The druggies on the street are above the law. I assure you if you are the right druggie you will be free walking and its your resume to a great job. Good people who try are laughed at by dealers they are arrogant and cocky because they can be. If your a good person your a chicken shit. If you are a thief and sell your body and draw a check because of drug use you are untouchable. Explain this to me. You dont have a clue.
Donnie

United States

#57 Feb 2, 2013
bull crap wrote:
<quoted text>
The druggies on the street are above the law. I assure you if you are the right druggie you will be free walking and its your resume to a great job. Good people who try are laughed at by dealers they are arrogant and cocky because they can be. If your a good person your a chicken shit. If you are a thief and sell your body and draw a check because of drug use you are untouchable. Explain this to me. You dont have a clue.
Can you spell CORRUPTION?
two sides

United States

#58 Feb 2, 2013
Big Girl Panties wrote:
<quoted text>Embezzling...I think you need to look the term up, Wikpedia would be a good place to start. If you will read the entire definition of the term, you will see that it means "to secretly misappropriate funds or property". There was nothing secretive about what happened, he left an IOU with his name on it. He did wrong, no doubt about it, but to make this into a federal case is totally ridiculous. By the way, I would like to know just what the petty cash fund is used for and how much money is kept in it. Anyone out there know?
Ah yes...Wikipedia. The absolute authority on legal definition.
Big Girl Panties

Sallisaw, OK

#59 Feb 3, 2013
[QUOTE who="He done it! "]<quoted text>
Listen scumbag I don't care if you are the chiefs old lady... You get on here and start talking shit about stuff you know nothing about! I am going to set you straight and when done go back to the kitchen where you can be seen an not heard.
Getting the definition of embezzlement from Wikpedia is fine, but it means nothing other than a rounded definition.
The courts have to use definitions and laws wrote by the state legislation. Not some pot head on Wikpedia![/QUOTE]

Wrong, wrong, wrong...I'm not the chief's old lady. Since you don't seem to know what you are talking about, I will over-look your sexist remark about the kitchen...nice try !!!
logic

Tulsa, OK

#60 Feb 3, 2013
To the Single Parents wrote:
In the difficult time of our national economy, when you are working at a minimum wage job trying to make ends meet and find there is not enough money at the end of the month and you need milk, bread, eggs, just enough to feed you and your children, go down to Walmart and pick those things up and leave them an IOU. All will be Ok! When security calls the police, tell them they can't arrest you, your not breaking the law. You left an IOU and was going to pay it back when times get better, after all, the SALLISAW CHIEF OF POLICE gets away with it, why is he any different than you. I mean you are trying to make it on, say less than $20,000.00 a year compared to his, I'm guessing combined close to $85-90,000.00. In all REALITY, please don't try this......you WILL go to jail unlike the CHEIF!
Your right! I want to ask you a question its not an attack its a real valid point. Have you ever taken a pen or pencil or a sticky pad any item at all from a job home and think and be honest keep in mind this is not an attack I have a reason for asking and be honest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muldrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty water 5 min DRINK RECYCLED SE... 4
Sarah Gish 3 hr Really 6
Jim Hudgens for Mayor (Dec '16) Wed Mary 48
Ro Poindexter Again? Tue Mary 11
News Gans house fire a total loss Jun 20 Jace burros 1
Bobby Long Jun 14 Chicken Fried Snakes 5
News Fire department adds new tanker Jun 10 Brett 1

Muldrow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance