Sallisaw police chief admits taking petty cash, city official says

There are 20 comments on the Jan 22, 2013, NewsOK.com story titled Sallisaw police chief admits taking petty cash, city official says. In it, NewsOK.com reports that:

Sallisaw Police Chief Shaloa Edwards told city officials he took less than $100 in petty cash and is now under formal investigation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsOK.com.

God Help Us

Sallisaw, OK

#231 Feb 19, 2013
SayWhat wrote:
It's implied by what you posted. So I just clarified the issue.
Sorry I misunderstood you :)
SayWhat

United States

#232 Feb 19, 2013
Not a problem, have a wonderful day!
Hungry

Sallisaw, OK

#233 Feb 19, 2013
Mom...... I need lunch money for tomorrow, they took away my piggy bank
Donnie

United States

#234 Feb 20, 2013
@Hungry, you make a good point. Only in Sequoyah County would a Chief of Police believe he has a "right" without question to borrow,use, confiscate,walk out of the building with city funds for personal use! Putting an I.O.U. in place of the money means absolutely nothing. He took the money illegally...end of story!
hungry

Sallisaw, OK

#235 Feb 20, 2013
Donnie wrote:
@Hungry, you make a good point. Only in Sequoyah County would a Chief of Police believe he has a "right" without question to borrow,use, confiscate,walk out of the building with city funds for personal use! Putting an I.O.U. in place of the money means absolutely nothing. He took the money illegally...end of story!
100% correct. Who out there would like a petty cash fund to get lunch money every day? Why does he get to do it?
!!

Sallisaw, OK

#236 Feb 20, 2013
Prosecutors have said while Edwards is guilty of making a bad decision he is NOT guilty of embezzlement because there was NO intent to defraud the City of funds. I'd like to know how many other City employees have done what Edwards did. I really don't believe he is the only one that has done the IOU thing.
Also if the City Commissioners and Mayor would have changed the ordinance this month and then next month dealt with Edwards it may not have looked so bad on them.
Lastly if Baker would have asked an officer of an outside law enforcement agency to take control of the police department it wouldn't look as if he took the FOPs in this mess.
Jesse

United States

#237 Feb 20, 2013
Edwards is guilty of breaking the law. However, since he put a I.O.U. in place of the money it was determined he didn't commit FRAUD.

Many probably over the years have broken the law but always paid it back before it became an issue or cover their tracks well enough no could prove otherwise. Kinda like the missing money paid in fees/restitution through the former D.A.'s office(Gray) that magically disappeared only some people kept receipts of where they had paid so it was known that the money was paid. But it was covered up to the point it wasn't able to be prosecuted ...damn shame!

Bringing in an outside professional who have been my choice as well and I wish they had done that.
ron

Oklahoma City, OK

#238 Feb 24, 2013
Impeach Edwards!
just wondering sallisaw

United States

#240 Mar 8, 2013
If the county paper is correct in it's article today shaloa and his wife may have some problems most of us was'nt aware of? HMMM.
Wow

Sallisaw, OK

#241 Mar 8, 2013
I bet someone had some explaining to do tonight
Watercooler54

Sallisaw, OK

#242 Mar 9, 2013
Good thing chief had that dog kennel in his back yard.
Jesse

United States

#243 Mar 9, 2013
I mean DAMN the lying and theiving done in Sequoyah County is terrible by the "criminal" element but what freakin black eye to have the city chief who is worse than the ones he's arresting!
Tammy

Oklahoma City, OK

#244 Mar 9, 2013
Jesse wrote:
I mean DAMN the lying and theiving done in Sequoyah County is terrible by the "criminal" element but what freakin black eye to have the city chief who is worse than the ones he's arresting!
I wouldn't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
Watercooler

Sallisaw, OK

#245 Mar 9, 2013
Tammy wrote:
<quoted text> I wouldn't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
Maybe so. But it seems rep Bennett sure left out a lot of between the lines stuff. Maybe he should have done some homework before he took the pulpit. Lot more to this than just lunch money
Jesse

United States

#246 Mar 9, 2013
Tammy wrote:
<quoted text> I wouldn't believe everything you read in the newspaper.
If just a fraction of it is true it would be disgusting abuse/misuse by the chief.
Sorry

Sallisaw, OK

#247 Mar 15, 2013
Give the guy a break. Wait and see how all the other allegations pan out before you get all worked up over a $60 petty cash IOU.
Watercooler

Sallisaw, OK

#248 Mar 15, 2013
Funny that Bennett has sort of backed up on some comments.
!

Sallisaw, OK

#249 Mar 22, 2013
Well well well
Wow

Sallisaw, OK

#250 Mar 23, 2013
Now he says he took a bed. So what else has this guy helped himself to over the years

Oklahoma City, OK

#251 Mar 25, 2013
Did he leave an IOU for the bed?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Muldrow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MD Doctor Ron v myers runs pill mill (Jan '13) 50 min youre ridiculous!!! 30
City of Sallisaw Customer Service (Sep '14) 1 hr Be responsible 11
News Roland doctor loses Oklahoma medical license (May '09) Apr 22 american wolf 37
Contacting the Spiro Graphic Apr 21 missouri resident 1
Michelle Obama Was Born Michael LaVaughn Robinson? (Nov '13) Apr 18 Bruno 84
D.A. office in sallisaw Apr 14 guesswho 1
Stay away from Dylan Campbell Apr 13 ADULTSNEEDTOACTLI... 2
More from around the web

Muldrow People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]