Group asks schools to move graduations from church

Full story: Chicago Tribune
A group advocating separation of church and state has asked three school districts just west of Milwaukee to move their graduations from a church. Full Story
Ken

Houston, TX

#1 Feb 12, 2009
Separation of church and state only implies that the state cannot impose a state sponsored religion on its citizens. Why are people so scared of a church building, It's not like you are going to be turned into a christian by being there..besides the church is the people not the building.
David Beiderbecke

Hopkins, MN

#2 Feb 14, 2009
This would be in the same state of Wisconsin whose Constitution says, "We, the people of Wisconsin, grateful to Almighty God for our freedom..."

It is important to put things in context, including the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution's Bill of Rights. The same men who wrote and ratified that Amendment also approved of and attended Christian worship services in the U.S. Capitol Building ( http://churchvstate.blogspot.com/2008/09/us-h... ). Thomas Jefferson, who is usually quoted when we invoke "separation of church and state," also attended these service.

Since: Jul 08

Bartlett, IL

#3 Feb 14, 2009
Every session of Congress opens with a prayer.
Angry in Mukwonago

Cedarburg, WI

#4 Mar 9, 2009
My eldest son graduated from Mukwonago High School nearly 9 years ago. At that time the ceremony was held in the gym. Every child was given 2 (yes only two) tickets to dispurse among those they wished to come witness that special day. That was decided because the gym could not safely hold more people than that. Although my son wished for his grandparents and Aunts and Uncles to attend- they could not. The two tickets were used for his Father and his Mother.
Elmbrook offered an avenue where my yongest son could invite everyone he wished to share that day with. You took that away.
Thank you- Americans United for the Seperation of Church and State, for turning this into a situation that would have benefitted many, to one which serves your twisted purposes.
Thank you for NOT allowing families to be together on a special day.
Thank you for NOT allowing my parents the enjoyment of seeing their grandson graduate high school.
Whatever you claim your intentions to be- all you have succeeded in doing is hijacking what could have been a wonderful memory for many.
By the way- most of my family are Atheists and they are just as angry with you as I am.
There is no god

Salem, WI

#5 Mar 27, 2010
Sounds good to me. Find another large location to host it in.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mukwonago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
last message by singer for robert f bottoni (Jun '14) Jun '14 ROBERT FRANK BOTTONI 1
Your continuing drunkeness (Jun '14) Jun '14 John I Singer 1
Boyfriend Found Guilty in Gail Masset Murder (Aug '07) Oct '13 amy 2
$10,000 Powerball ticket sold in Tomah (Mar '13) Mar '13 Playslip 1
Strobel retires from Mukwonago School District (Mar '13) Mar '13 Denice Martenet 1
UPDATED: Cancer Patient, 4, Leaves Hospital to ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 91V3UP 2
Happy Halloween (Oct '12) Oct '12 Boris Lukoff 1
Mukwonago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Mukwonago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mukwonago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mukwonago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News