Fireworks ban in city appears to work

Full story: Mukilteo Beacon/STPNS

The Mukilteo Fire Department noticed no difference in the amount of calls over the July 4 holiday, and Interim Fire Chief Mike Springer thinks the ban on fireworks in the city limits is the reason."We would ...
Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2008
Cecil

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2007

It's amazing to some of my friends now, But I was young once, and like most
kids, fireworks were of great interest to me. I'm sure if I and the other boys in the neighborhood
had had access to mortar
shells and grenades, we would have been tempted to
fire them off. Therein lies my point: powerful exploding devices-in the way of aerial fireworks- ARE accessible to kids nowadays. Couple this fact with the added problem of some adults who insist on throwing caution and common sense to the wind, and you have
a situation which results
in injuries, fire and property damage, and extra work for emergency service responders. This problem must be gotten under control somehow, and the sooner the better.
Tighter regulation and enforcement may help, along with better education. Also, I applaud efforts to limit the use of fireworks to July 4th. In areas which do not have this limit, fireworks can be heard and seen two weeks before
and after the 4th. It is not unusual to be awakened as late (or early) as 2 or 3 in the morning, by someone setting off fireworks in the neighborhood.This has gotten to be a real nuisance here. I am all for kids having fun, and adults too. Especially when celebrating a historical event in our country, but, due to those
people who insist on ruining things for everybody, there MUST be
an emphasis placed on public awareness and education, new rules and guidelines, and enforcement, to deal with
this fireworks issue.
Jiff

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Yeah, they all went from Mukilteo to Lynnwood to make the 4th a living hell here. Please ban fireworks in Lynnwood.
marsha

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

No, Please dont. Our neighborhood LOVES having the get together time. like another night out we all get together and talk and enjoy the displays.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mukilteo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Washingto... (Oct '10) Tue Mr Blue 714
Missing My Kids Tue Howard Family 1
Great deal on Rhododendron at ARS Convention Aug 18 Lynn Torset 1
Robin Williams suicide was 'selfish,' says Todd... Aug 15 Big mike 15
Edmonds police: Bicyclist who died after hittin... Aug 11 Tom Benedict 1
celebrate recovery (Jan '12) Aug 9 John 30
Health and Well Being of my children Aug 9 Depressed Daddy 1

Search the Mukilteo Forum:
•••

Mukilteo News Video