First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mudpuppy

Lorton, VA

#1 May 25, 2008
I was wondering if Mousie has changed any since I was there last. There used to be one store there owned and operated by Jr. Combs and one Service Station, a Post Office and a School. Has the community grown any?
mudpuppy

Lorton, VA

#2 May 26, 2008
I know several people from Mousie. Do any of you know Loberta Conley, or the Huff's, "Eddie, Catherine, Garland and Avonell?"
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#3 May 31, 2008
I lived in Floyd County for a short time. The little place was called Pumpkin Center. Is it still called that and how is that area of the county now. I went to Wayland High my freshman year and then we moved back to Chattanooga, thank goodness.
SUGAR SMAX

Lorton, VA

#4 Jun 7, 2008
FRECKLES, IT'S STILL CALLED PUMPKIN CENTER. DON'T KNOW IF IT'S CHANGED ANY, HAVEN'T BEEN THAT WAY IN AWHILE, BUT I DO HAVE SOME KIN FOLK THAT LIVES THERE. DOESN'T LOOK AS THOUGH ANYONE WANTS TO COMMENT ON THIS THREAD!
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#5 Jun 7, 2008
Thanks Sugar Smax

I guess there really isn't much to say about the area. When I was there everyone would graduate from high school and move to Ohio. Not much to do around there.
SUGAR SMAX

Lorton, VA

#6 Jun 9, 2008
Freckles wrote:
Thanks Sugar Smax
I guess there really isn't much to say about the area. When I was there everyone would graduate from high school and move to Ohio. Not much to do around there.
TOTALLY TRUE. I'VE NOTICED THERE'S NOT VERY MANY COMMENTS ON ANY OF THE THREADS. HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOU WERE IN THE AREA?
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#7 Jun 9, 2008
I hate to say how long it has been, thirty years.
Not that I am old or anything. How long for you?

There was a family that lived close to us by the last name of Vanderpool. They had a son named Phillip. I only lived there for a year and I was glad to move back to TN. I made friends at the high school when I was there but it seemed hard for an outsider to fit in.
SUGAR SMAX

Lorton, VA

#8 Jun 9, 2008
IT'S BEEN ABOUT 15 YEARS SINCE I WAS THERE. WE HAD A FAMILY REUNION IN HINDMAN. MY PARENTS WERE FROM KY. AND MOVED TO W.VA. THEY MOVED BACK TO MOUSIE WHEN I WAS STARTING THE 10TH GRADE AND I DIDN'T LIKE HINDMAN HIGH SCHOOL. SO, I LIVED IN MOUSIE A YEAR AND MOVED BACK TO W.VA. TRUE, IT IS HARD FOR AN OUTSIDER TO FIT IN. AND I'M LIKE YOU, I'M GLAD I MOVED. I ONLY MADE A COUPLE OF FRIENDS AT SCHOOL THAT YEAR, BUT THEY WERE ALSO OUTSIDERS. TIME SURE FLYS BY FAST. I KEPT IN CONTACT WITH MY TWO FRIENDS FOR QUITE SOMETIME, THEY MARRIED EACH OTHER AND HAD A FAMILY AND WHEN HE DIED, "AT AN EARLY AGE" HE WAS ONLY IN HIS 20'S, WE LOST CONTACT SOMEHOW. YOU KNOW THAT NEW HIGHWAY BY-PASSES ALL THE SMALL TOWNS NOW, INCLUDING GARRETT AND MOUSIE?
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#9 Jun 10, 2008
When I started my freshman year at the high school there no one was helpful. I always told my children this story when they started a new school and told them to always ask for help, it's no big deal. When it was lunch time no one told me the lunchroom was upstairs in the elementary school. I guess they didn't think I might need some help. So I thought that I would just follow this girl that looked smart and was popular to the lunchroom. Only problem is when I followed about 15 feet behind I was wondering why we were going outside around back. Come to find out she lived next to the school and she walked home for lunch. I turned around and went back in the school. I never did follow anyone again and only got snacks out of the vending machine for lunch.

I would like to drive back through that part of the world again. My husband and I are Steven Segall fans and love the movies that were filmed in that area. My grandfather that raised me was a coal miner, and my uncle who lived at Wayland was also a miner. I remember when I was five there was a flood and my cousin had to carry me up the hill to my aunt's house to get to high ground. That was across the railroad tracks in Wayland.

My husband has also thought about signing up to volunteer with a medical group out of Knoxville to help out some residents there in Eastern KY. They will be in Pikeville the last of this month, giving basic medical treatment to children and adults.
SUGAR SMAX

Lorton, VA

#10 Jun 11, 2008
THE LUNCH LINE WAS WAY TOO LONG AT HINDMAN, BY THE TIME I HAD GOTTEN MY TRAY, THAT DARN BELL WOULD RING FOR CLASS. ONE DAY I DECIDED TO GO AHEAD AND EAT LUNCH ANYWAY, AND OF COURSE, WHEN I RETURNED TO CLASS, I WAS SENT TO THE PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE. I TOLD MY PARENTS IF THEY DIDN'T TAKE ME BACK TO W.VA., I WAS QUITTING SCHOOL. THIS ONE GIRL ALWAYS LOVED TO BULLY ME. SHE WAS ALWAYS MAKING FUN OF ME, UNTIL THE LAST MONTH I WAS THERE. I FINALLY GOT FED UP AND SHOVED HER INTO THE LOCKERS. WELL, IT WORKED, SHE NEVER BOTHERED ME ANYMORE. I'M ONE THAT WILL TAKE AND TAKE, BUT EVERYDAY WHILE IN SCHOOL, SHE WAS CONSTANTLY PICKING AT ME. ANYWAY, LIKE I SAID, WE MOVED BACK TO W.VA. AND I AM SO GLAD. I REALLY LIKE STEVEN SEGALL TOO. I THINK JUST ABOUT EVERYONE DOES. OH YEAH! I HAD SOME COUSINS THAT WENT TO WAYLAND ALSO. DID YOU KNOW ANY PATTON'S?
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#11 Jun 11, 2008
There was one, his name was Darrell Patton. I found a neat website for Allen Central and found several people that I went to school with.
SUGAR SMAX

Lorton, VA

#12 Jun 13, 2008
I DON'T KNOW DARRELL PATTON. THAT'S REALLY A NICE THING TO DO,"VOLUNTEER WORK" FOR THOSE PEOPLE IN EASTERN KY. THE WORLD NEEDS MORE CARING PEOPLE WITH KIND HEARTS.
mudslut

United States

#13 Jun 25, 2008
END OF DISCUSSION...HUH?...
Freckles

Rossville, GA

#14 Jun 25, 2008
What else is there to say about that area of KY?
mudslut

United States

#15 Jun 28, 2008
Freckles wrote:
What else is there to say about that area of KY?
Totally True...Nobody even tells jokes...And laughter is good for the soul...
sugargirl

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Aug 6, 2008
mudpuppy wrote:
I know several people from Mousie. Do any of you know Loberta Conley, or the Huff's, "Eddie, Catherine, Garland and Avonell?"
i know charles ramey i was married to him about two years
mudpuppy

United States

#17 Aug 9, 2008
sugargirl wrote:
<quoted text> i know charles ramey i was married to him about two years
I don't know any Ramey's...Do you know any Campbell's?
TERESA

United States

#18 Apr 8, 2009
mudpuppy wrote:
Loberta Conley Short passed away suddenly in January 2004. She was a very good friend of mine.
The Huff family still live in Ball Branch at Mousie or atleast I know for sure Garland, Avonell, and Darrell the youngest of their 3 children does.
TERESA

United States

#19 Apr 8, 2009
mudpuppy wrote:
I was wondering if Mousie has changed any since I was there last. There used to be one store there owned and operated by Jr. Combs and one Service Station, a Post Office and a School. Has the community grown any?
Mousie is still the same. The Mousie Market is still owned by Jr. Combs. There is a beauty shop and a park in Mousie now.

Since: May 09

Chesterfield, MO

#20 May 7, 2009
i live there,and no it hasnt changed...jr. combs is still running the mousie market with the help of his wife and daughter...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mousie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Green isgood 172,888
Casey 2 hr Lol 6
Rodney Nelson 18 hr Voter 1
No one believes you are grieving. Stop acting Fri Washington DC 3
Glema Amburgey Thu Big j 2
Betty Music Thread Thu Musikologist 2
WW II dog tag (Mar '17) Feb 14 Brandon boling 2

Mousie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mousie Mortgages