Two moms find joy raising nine adopted children

Full story: The York Daily Record

The family turns heads in public. It happens at the store, where grocery receipts ring out in multiple feet, and at restaurants, where hostesses adjust tables to accommodate the brood.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated May 15, 2010
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
weighing in

York, PA

#1 May 9, 2010
Great job to these two women!! Thanks for caring so much about the children in the USA!! You seem to have built a strong relationship and a loving home, better than many heterosexual couples are doing.
The only item that I personally take issue with at all is the home schooling. There is not one person (or two) who are capable of teaching kids all that they need to succeed in the world.
Keep up the good work!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 May 9, 2010
N I N E !?!?!?!?!

Whew!
Michelle

Jackson, MO

#3 May 9, 2010
I just want to say....they are doing a wonderful job, but then again I am family. I love both of my aunts with all of my heart and can honestly say that the children are loved so much and are wonderful children. They have stayed with me a few time when we have had vacations or family emergencies and they are great. I cant wait to see the newest cousins this summer. Love you all.
Karen Debord

Cherokee Village, AR

#4 May 9, 2010
I am a cousin to Kay and could not be prouder of her family. We have not seen each other in years but thanks to Facebook have reconnected. Only to find out that our heart have been led by GOD to take care of the children who need us the most. My husband and I started doing Foster Care in Randolph County Arkansas a few years ago and have open our hearts to all who have came through our door. We now mainly take teenage girls who are hard to place and will age out of the system due to their circumstances. God has to lead you to taking care of these children and God gives you the strength and patients for all that come your way.
Thank you to Kay and Gail for having the love in their hearts to care for so many children.
ARMOM

Cherokee Village, AR

#5 May 9, 2010
This is a story for Ty & ABC, HOME MAKEOVER TY PENNINGTON HELP THIS FAMILY OUT
saw it coming

Gettysburg, PA

#6 May 9, 2010
This is a nice story about two women who took in children that no one else wanted. I think that it is a fine thing to do, but, if one woman is home schooling the children and the other is in school herself...who is paying the bills?
puddles55

York, PA

#7 May 9, 2010
We pay the bills. We do not receive state assistance other than adoption subsidy. We buy with cash only. Gail will be returning to employment hopefully in January or sooner. She will graduate from York College in December.
beautiful

Lancaster, PA

#8 May 9, 2010
This is a wonderful story! Thank you for showing that same-sex couples provide the same love, support, and nuturance as "straight" parents.
Wonderful job ladies!
NowinVA

Duffield, VA

#9 May 9, 2010
I had the pleasure of meeting these two women and their kids a few years ago. They are truly a wonderful family and I'm glad to see they've continued to share their love by adopting more children. An inspiration for all families. Happy Mothers Day!
Frank Stanton

Saratoga Springs, NY

#11 May 9, 2010
WOW ! may God continue to Bless each and every one in this family !

What an inspiration !

:)
Speechless

York, PA

#12 May 9, 2010
Awesome!!Keep up the great work mommas!!
Devine D

Bellefontaine, OH

#13 May 9, 2010
My hat goes off to these ladies...at least they care enough about these children to want to raise them...everyone should be that willing to love and support a child if it's theirs or not children don't ask to come into this world they are forced and thank god for these women and others like them...bless their home...their marriage....their children let god continue to give them blessings and happiness....Amen

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

#14 May 10, 2010
My family and theirs met at a church picnic last summer, and WHEW, those ladies should be up for sainthood.

Their kids are active balls of energy and mischief, absolute whirlwinds of motion, and their Moms are vigilent and kind. Strict but loving.

I was exhausted watching them, and our kids loved fishing with theirs.

If more people, gay or straight, had the calling to adopt--the world would be a better place.
observer

Ellijay, GA

#16 May 10, 2010
God bless them for having big hearts.
funegirl1980

Mechanicsburg, PA

#18 May 10, 2010
WOW nine kids! I have my hands full some days with one (5 year old step daughter). This is a wonderful story that I really enjoyed reading. My husband and I have been talking about becoming foster parents. I have always felt the draw to be a foster parent. However marring someone that already has a child has sort of given me questions about my decision. With that in mind, my question to the parents out there that have done this is: How do you handle issues that the foster child brings with them from previous situations? As in helping them to not act out or influence your other children to make decions that are bad for them. I know that not all children in the system are "bad" they just may not be used to having rules.

All in all I know that it may be hard. But I really feel that this is something that I need to do.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 May 10, 2010
funegirl1980 wrote:
WOW nine kids! I have my hands full some days with one (5 year old step daughter). This is a wonderful story that I really enjoyed reading. My husband and I have been talking about becoming foster parents. I have always felt the draw to be a foster parent. However marring someone that already has a child has sort of given me questions about my decision. With that in mind, my question to the parents out there that have done this is: How do you handle issues that the foster child brings with them from previous situations? As in helping them to not act out or influence your other children to make decions that are bad for them. I know that not all children in the system are "bad" they just may not be used to having rules.
All in all I know that it may be hard. But I really feel that this is something that I need to do.
It starts getting easier aropund 3 ... if they aren't too far apart or tooclose together in ages. They entertain each other a lot and you can coach from the sidelines. You get involved when they seem to be running out of positive creative imagination, or the inevitable tussles arise.

You're always a bit tired, but you get used to it. You are NEVER bored.
puddles55

York, PA

#20 May 10, 2010
funegirl1980 wrote:
The best information I can give you is to contact an adoption/foster care agency and talk with them. You can set the limits for behavior. Just be consistent with all kids and make sure all both yours and foster are both treated the same and fairly. Kids are so flexible and they change so readily to gain acceptance. Your caseworker can help you figure out what kids you can handle and which you can't. There are so many kids out there who are not behavioral problems, but you ususally only hear about the ones who are. Know your limits. Talk with the caseworker. We went through Diakon and have had a most wonderful experience. They are really knowledgable and very easy to work with...top notch people with lots of experience and very good at helping you wade through everything you need to do. Never a moment's regret in choosing Diakon on West
George Street, York. If you would like to know more contact the writer of the story and she will forward to me on e-mail.
shell

West Chester, PA

#21 May 14, 2010
How did you guys manage to adopt nine??? My husband and I looked into adoption and We were interested in a child that was about three. However, we were told we could not adopt this child because we didn't have the same ethnicity.
It really upset me. All we wanted to do was give a child lots of love and a happy home!
kat

York, PA

#22 May 14, 2010
What a wonderful, wonderful story about FAMILY. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders!!! Thank you for sharing your story and for allowing us to gain a glimpse into what appears to be a beautiful life!
ex yorkie

Washington, DC

#23 May 14, 2010
Its great that the local news is covering this story - some editors would have avoided this.
Thanks YDR for recognizing that the story, regardless of politics, celebrates community, family, and positive contributions being made to society.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 15 hr bacon hater 51,299
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 17 hr Knows he lost 3,921
I know what happened to Caleb (Sep '13) Aug 17 Wayne 61
Weis proposes to sell beer in Ephrata store Jul 30 Ephrata mom 1
Here Jul '14 Unm 1
lancaster Regional Dr. Rikki Halavonich arrested (Dec '13) Jul '14 Confused 18
Lancaster Democratic Committee heats up summer ... Jul '14 RayOne 1
•••
•••
Mountville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mountville Jobs