The Minimum Wage is to LOW

Posted in the Mountain Home Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
GOPnoMORE

Ava, MO

#1 Sep 16, 2013
Don’t you think it’s time to raise the minimum wage? I’m not asking for myself I am retired and enjoying life on Bull Shoals Lake. I made good wages during my working life that now allows me to live on a like and an area of my choosing, and I am darn glad I’m not just starting out as I believe the young will not have the opportunities that I’ve had.

The year 2012 was a record setting year for corporate profits which includes WalMart, Costco, McDonalds and many others that are notorious for paying only minimum wage. Worker wages as recent as 2001 were 49% of the GDP as they historically were, as of last year they were down to 43.5%. Now it doesn’t take a Nobel Laureate Economist to tell you that a strong economy need a strong consumer base spending, or in other words, a strong middle and working class fueling the economy.

So the next time you see someone using food stamps to feed their family don’t immediate don’t think the worst of them, they very well may be a hard working WalMart employee who h as been sold down the road by those of us wanting cheaper prices and executives wanting even larger bonuses!

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/03/news/economy/...

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#3 Sep 17, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
Goop, every minimum wage increase is a tax increase and a cost of living increase for everyone .
BTW aren't you smart enough to know that the more you make the more you pay in taxes ?
I didn't think so !
Being you're on a fixed income I'd think you'd be smart enough to want to help keep prices low .
Many, many people who have kids use some type of Govt assistance so its time for them to stand on their own 2 feet and self support or use birth control !
Thanks for the good response. Problems facing our nation need to be discussed openly. I am using a phone so I hope my reply is legible.

We have a free market economy and for a capitalistic economy to work there has to be consumption, a lot of people with enough money to spend to fuel our economy. Currently corporations and businesses are making record profits and holding onto those profits they are not returning those dollars in the form of investments and worker wages, they are hoarding those dollars. Of they will not do it voluntarily then the government need to force the re-investment.

I to worry about the affect a minimum wage would have on small businesses, but not the larger ones. And there are solutions to that problem.

I fail to see how it is a tax increase, it will increase revenue to the treasury if that is what you mean. I strongly someone working hard 40 hours a week trying to a productive member of society having to depend on government assistance to feed themselves.

As far as me and my income, much is fixed, but there are times when you have to put the good of the whole over your self interests.
tea party purist

United States

#4 Sep 17, 2013
gopNOmore wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the good response. Problems facing our nation need to be discussed openly. I am using a phone so I hope my reply is legible.
We have a free market economy and for a capitalistic economy to work there has to be consumption, a lot of people with enough money to spend to fuel our economy. Currently corporations and businesses are making record profits and holding onto those profits they are not returning those dollars in the form of investments and worker wages, they are hoarding those dollars. Of they will not do it voluntarily then the government need to force the re-investment.
I to worry about the affect a minimum wage would have on small businesses, but not the larger ones. And there are solutions to that problem.
I fail to see how it is a tax increase, it will increase revenue to the treasury if that is what you mean. I strongly someone working hard 40 hours a week trying to a productive member of society having to depend on government assistance to feed themselves.
As far as me and my income, much is fixed, but there are times when you have to put the good of the whole over your self interests.
Sane dialog is aways more beneficial than polarized confontation. I too am on a phone, in a marine environment, cell access can be sketchy.
My working career has mostly been construction related. Quite often, compensation is only offered via "sub-contract" arrangement. A thinly disguised attempt to avoid overhead as the contractor. Very risky for the contractor, he can think he is being slick and maybe make money. Often, it is illegal, but nothing goes wrong, the arrangement doesn't get questioned, and life goes on. Should something go wrong, and the contractor winds up dealing with the "subs' widow" and her lawyer, the contractor will discover who is really a employee and who isn't. I have been on both sides of the issue. The last 20 years, I would not hire and pay anyone as a sub unless I had, on file, a current certificate of both workmans comp. and liability coverage. Legally, as a contractor, my customer is at extreme risk if I can not show coverage for everyone on the job. This trick should be eliminated, it is a huge gamble for all involved. As a "owner" the final liability of accident lands there. No matter how people get paid, if they are not insured, the "owner" is at risk.
If you worked for me, I wouldn't offer a job that was less than 40 hrs of legitimate benefit paid compensation. Or, you provide me with certificates of insurance and you bid on the work.
Sam I Am

Melbourne, AR

#5 Sep 18, 2013
Move to another country where the minimum wage is higher.
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#6 Sep 18, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Why would you want to see a very large portion of the population of the United States move to another country to build that county's economy? Do you have something against the United States? Are you opposed to hard working Americans being able to stand on their own two feet?
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#7 Sep 18, 2013
tea party purist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sane dialog is aways more beneficial than polarized confontation. I too am on a phone, in a marine environment, cell access can be sketchy.
My working career has mostly been construction related. Quite often, compensation is only offered via "sub-contract" arrangement. A thinly disguised attempt to avoid overhead as the contractor. Very risky for the contractor, he can think he is being slick and maybe make money. Often, it is illegal, but nothing goes wrong, the arrangement doesn't get questioned, and life goes on. Should something go wrong, and the contractor winds up dealing with the "subs' widow" and her lawyer, the contractor will discover who is really a employee and who isn't. I have been on both sides of the issue. The last 20 years, I would not hire and pay anyone as a sub unless I had, on file, a current certificate of both workmans comp. and liability coverage. Legally, as a contractor, my customer is at extreme risk if I can not show coverage for everyone on the job. This trick should be eliminated, it is a huge gamble for all involved. As a "owner" the final liability of accident lands there. No matter how people get paid, if they are not insured, the "owner" is at risk.
If you worked for me, I wouldn't offer a job that was less than 40 hrs of legitimate benefit paid compensation. Or, you provide me with certificates of insurance and you bid on the work.
This is for sure no contractor ever entered our plant with certifications of insurance as well as certifications of all workers being legal to work in the United States. The plants I worked in were all unionized as well as the contractors who worked for us, so it really was a non-issue for us.
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#8 Sep 18, 2013
Ooops!!! I meant to say "No contractor ever entered our plant WITHOUT certifications..."
tea party purist

United States

#9 Sep 18, 2013
Sam I Am wrote:
Participating in a legitimate democratic process is another approach. There's no guarantee the outcome always makes everyone happy. The fly in the ointment begins when losers have no patience to continue trying a process and feel empowered to use the "end justifies the mean" concept. Anarchy usually is the result. We're seeing the failure of alliances created on the concept that "any enemy of my enemy is my friend". When desperate, many have employed that tactic, and usually get burned.
tea party purist

United States

#10 Sep 18, 2013
gopNOmore wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no numbers to support my statement, I do believe that when adjusted for inflation, the current "min. wage" is about as low as it has ever been.
Regardless if a "employer" is a small business owner all the way up to a mega-corp. utilizing accountants, lawyers, and a human relations dept., If the wage offered can't realistically compensate to help meet basic household needs of persons trying to support a family, they shouldn't offer the iob. That kind of job usually just adds to a turnover issue.
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#12 Sep 18, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
In one breath some say minimum wage is too low and in the next breath they bash labor unions .
I've never been in a union myself but who do you think it was that pioneered safe working conditions and fair wages ?
And lets not forget minimum wage is supposed to be for simple task low skilled jobs like flipping burgers at McDonald's .
There is no doubt in my mind and with a little researcher you could show a correlation to the loss of union membership to the decline of middle-class wages and lifestyle.

I agree at one time the minimum wage protected those of minimum skills working minimum skill jobs, but things have changed, we've gone from a manufacturing economy to a service economy. With that transition higher paying jobs have decreased along with the decreasing manufacturing jobs. What use to be McDonald Kids are now McDonald Adults, adults who live on there own, not with Mom and Dad, trying to support a family and a household on these low paying jobs, it simply will not work, it certainly will not work without a safety net such as food stamps.

WalMart other service industries post record profits while paying minimum wage while sitting on huge piles of money, at what point is enough enough? No economy can survive with a very small percentage of individuals pulling money from the economy and then sitting on that money, if they will not return it to the economy in the form of investment and wages, then the government needs to force them to do it.
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#14 Sep 18, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
At some point we have to go back to a manufacturing economy because its not possible to eat service forever .
When everyone serves and no one produces we're screwed .
I am certain there has never been a truer statement made in this forum than the one you just made!!! You are absolutely correct, wealth cannot be created in retail and distribution (the third tier of an economy, wealth is created in procuring raw materials and the conversion of theses raw materials into products (tiers 1 and 2).

Although basic I believe our political leaders have no concept of this at all!
Trollspotter

Mountain Home, AR

#15 Sep 19, 2013
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
At some point we have to go back to a manufacturing economy because its not possible to eat service forever .
When everyone serves and no one produces we're screwed .
Troll alert.
GOPnoMORE

Branson, MO

#16 Sep 19, 2013
Trollspotter wrote:
<quoted text>
Troll alert.
We've been doing pretty good without the name calling and certainly we've been doing okay without you!
guy

Mountain Home, AR

#19 Oct 12, 2013
To be honest, I've skipped many of the posts above me. Raising minimum wage doesn't solve the issues. If minimum wage is raised buy 10% inflation will rise to about the same levels.

I work two jobs at around minimum wage, and I'm doing quite fine. Granted I can't afford the newest cars or Iphones, but my bills are paid, i have some money to put into savings, and some money to devote to entertainment.

The real issue is high prices on certain goods, picky poor people (Always save? Nah, better get name brand EVERYTHING) and mismanagement of their money (stop eating out and cook for once).
Imanidiot

United States

#21 Oct 13, 2013
Everyone wants higher wages, which makes sense....who doesn't want more money, but our issue is that we now live in a service based economy that actually produces very little, if our country would tax the companies that outsource goods and services and give tax breaks to companies that produce within the US and then export, we'd be a lot better off....but what the hell do I know....let's all continue to be consumers.
Sam I Am

Mountain Home, AR

#24 Nov 25, 2013
LOL, well cupcake I realize that the Democrats have forced more people onto welfare than ever before and median wages have continually dropped under Obama.

I also realize that the economic polices the Democrats have put in place since they gained control of Congress in 2006 have been disastrous and are the reason why unemployment remains so high.

Still, there are good jobs out there. Just because you can't find one or don't have better qualifications than the guys that do find them doesn't mean you should whine about the entry level, non-skilled labor pay at places like Walmart.

If you don't like what Walmart pays, go somewhere else. If you can't find a job anywhere else, be damn glad Walmart keeps you on the payroll. Many people would love to have your job.
Truth

Cherokee Village, AR

#26 Feb 27, 2016
Biggest Peter wrote:
<quoted text>
For Mountain Hole Arkansas, given your lack of intelligence, work ethic, ect, minimum wage is about $6/her more than you deserve, quit yer bitching and Mia my lawn boy!
It's pretty sad that people try to have a legitimate conversation and you in your almighty ignorance has to chime in with mindless babbling.
You are the poster boy for a keyboard bad boy.
The sad part is you have no idea how stupid you look.
Stay on the short bus and try to realize you are only funny to people with a lower IQ.
So_What

Mountain Home, AR

#27 Feb 27, 2016
If the minimum wage is to low and you don't like working for minimum wage then get out of the hamburger flipping business and get a real job. That works like this, Stay in school stop making babies at 13 go to college, Get the idea?
Truth

Los Angeles, CA

#28 Feb 27, 2016
So_What wrote:
If the minimum wage is to low and you don't like working for minimum wage then get out of the hamburger flipping business and get a real job. That works like this, Stay in school stop making babies at 13 go to college, Get the idea?
Easy for you to say but I couldn't overcome my love of d_ck.
Biggest Peter

Cherokee Village, AR

#29 Mar 6, 2016
Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Easy for you to say but I couldn't overcome my love of d_ck.
I just live in my moms basement so she can make money out of her bedroom that way minimum-wage is fine for me

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where did she go? 1 hr Wondering 1
was wondering 3 hr man wondering 1
Mountain Hole suuuuux 8 hr Jillian J 1
Kristy Ann (cook?) (Mar '16) 8 hr Jillian J 4
eric hutson (May '14) Thu Now_What- 7
Beer at Wal-Mart (Nov '09) Jan 17 Now_What- 27

Mountain Home Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mountain Home Mortgages