More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 20 comments on the Jan 2, 2011, news.yahoo.com story titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

Sweet Tea

Stuttgart, AR

#10311 Nov 16, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to the thread Sweet Tea. As much as we sometimes disagree here, I think we have a basic understanding of where we are all coming from and actually kinda like each other.:)
Oh, okay....I'm sorry.
curmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#10313 Nov 17, 2013
Actually I don't like hardly anyone. I simply tolerate them. Some hat I dislike I actually respect but I strongly disagree with their opinions. However Ill defend their first admendment right to post whatever floats their boat. So I would just as soon kill as to look at them. Im like Red Forman On that 70,s show. He stated to his wife Kitty. I only want to be around folks that I really like Mainly just you Kitty. Good News Im a grandpaw again. We got a new grandson last week. I likes him purty good.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#10314 Nov 17, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Actually There where a few other types of birds that died along with the blackbirds. The blunt trama was caused when the uncounsious gassed birds fell from the sky and hit the ground. Some eventually recovered and flew away. The birds would have to be exposed for a long period to absorb enough gas( Probably methane) in their blood. As far as I know they where never tested. It was simply a Knee jerk reaction explaination to blame fireworks. There is big money and political clout in the natural gas fracking industry. The folks in charge would never place any blame on the natural gas industry. thousands Drum fish which are bottom feeders Dies in the Arkansas river about 50 miles away at the same time. Did fireworks kill the fish?
"There where a few other types of birds that died along with the blackbirds."
Most likely starlings and cowbirds. Still part of the same blackbird flock.

"As far as I know they where never tested."
Really?? Birds mysteriously fall from the sky dead and the government, or local health officials, don't test them? I find that hard to believe considered man's quest for knowledge about anything and everything.

SE Michigan

#10315 Nov 17, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> a gas cloud in the water killing the turtles Is plausible. At present with all the earthquakes the planets crust is cracking, These cracks let sequestered gas escape to the surface. It can come up on land and float into the air and be carried on the wind. Or come up in water and follow streams & currents. Im certian The drum fish and bird die offs in Arkansas where caused by a gas. Fracking is done just for that very reason to make cracks in the crust for sequestered gas to follow into the wells. But things commonly go wrong and have bad side effects. Ive shot a 12 guage multiple times into black bird roosts in the dead of night on numerious occasions. And they all but a few that caught a bit if lead flew off into the night. And all we ever exterminated was a couple of dozen birds. It don't kill even a part of 1% of the thousands that try to roost in my cedar glade. All it does is discourage them from establishing a roost. They never became disoriented & crashed into anything.
"Ive shot a 12 guage multiple times into black bird roosts in the dead of night"........"They never became disoriented & crashed into anything."

Do you have night vision?

SE Michigan

#10316 Nov 17, 2013
Sweet Tea wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, okay....I'm sorry.
No need to apologize.

SE Michigan

#10317 Nov 17, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
Actually I don't like hardly anyone. I simply tolerate them. Some hat I dislike I actually respect but I strongly disagree with their opinions. However Ill defend their first admendment right to post whatever floats their boat. So I would just as soon kill as to look at them. Im like Red Forman On that 70,s show. He stated to his wife Kitty. I only want to be around folks that I really like Mainly just you Kitty. Good News Im a grandpaw again. We got a new grandson last week. I likes him purty good.
Congratulations, Gramps!

I find when people don't like each other, they usually avoid conversation with that person.
That's how I know you like me.:)
Taxahontas

Mountain Home, AR

#10318 Nov 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Congratulations, Gramps!
I find when people don't like each other, they usually avoid conversation with that person.
That's how I know you like me.:)
I cant wont & don't argue with family or any folks that I must live aroud or do business with. They tend to get mad and hold grudges. I like a spirited debate. I don't post to get approval or stock pile agreeing opinions. Dissent is a desirablething for me. I used to get on the Glowbull Warming greenie forums. Those folks would not debate fact. they resorting to name calling and trying to discredit to poster when they couldn't refute the message. Ive got a friend who lives near Beebe Ar. This year at newyears we are gonna go to the black bird roost and shoot potato cannons. they outlawed fireworks but not potato cannons. If we can scare thousands of black birds into crashing & dying the merits of your explanation as to the cause will be verified. It will likely be a waste of time & gas.
ugh

Little Rock, AR

#10319 Nov 17, 2013
Please KILL this thread already.
Zzzzzz

SE Michigan

#10320 Nov 17, 2013
Taxahontas wrote:
<quoted text> I cant wont & don't argue with family or any folks that I must live aroud or do business with. They tend to get mad and hold grudges. I like a spirited debate. I don't post to get approval or stock pile agreeing opinions. Dissent is a desirablething for me. I used to get on the Glowbull Warming greenie forums. Those folks would not debate fact. they resorting to name calling and trying to discredit to poster when they couldn't refute the message. Ive got a friend who lives near Beebe Ar. This year at newyears we are gonna go to the black bird roost and shoot potato cannons. they outlawed fireworks but not potato cannons. If we can scare thousands of black birds into crashing & dying the merits of your explanation as to the cause will be verified. It will likely be a waste of time & gas.
I go through the same thing with the global warming nuts. Doesn't matter... I still speak of facts and truths and hope that some of it gets through to them, even if they won't admit it.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

SE Michigan

#10321 Nov 17, 2013
ugh wrote:
Please KILL this thread already.
Zzzzzz
I will intentionally not respond to this post.

Conway, AR

#10322 Nov 21, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> a gas cloud in the water killing the turtles Is plausible. At present with all the earthquakes the planets crust is cracking, These cracks let sequestered gas escape to the surface. It can come up on land and float into the air and be carried on the wind. Or come up in water and follow streams & currents. Im certian The drum fish and bird die offs in Arkansas where caused by a gas. Fracking is done just for that very reason to make cracks in the crust for sequestered gas to follow into the wells. But things commonly go wrong and have bad side effects. Ive shot a 12 guage multiple times into black bird roosts in the dead of night on numerious occasions. And they all but a few that caught a bit if lead flew off into the night. And all we ever exterminated was a couple of dozen birds. It don't kill even a part of 1% of the thousands that try to roost in my cedar glade. All it does is discourage them from establishing a roost. They never became disoriented & crashed into anything.
The closest gas rig to this area is 10 miles away, so if that was the case, it would have killed all birds in its path towards Beebe. I live near the gas rig closest to Beebe. And there was not dead birds all the way into too town that day. So that is not the case here. And the day they capped the gas rigged near my house, I smelled the gas that day, it lasted about 10 min. and no dead birds were laying around the area that day.
Taxahontas

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10323 Nov 21, 2013
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>
The closest gas rig to this area is 10 miles away, so if that was the case, it would have killed all birds in its path towards Beebe. I live near the gas rig closest to Beebe. And there was not dead birds all the way into too town that day. So that is not the case here. And the day they capped the gas rigged near my house, I smelled the gas that day, it lasted about 10 min. and no dead birds were laying around the area that day.
You logic is flawed. There wouldn't have been any path of killed birds. Ok suppose several large gas clouds escape from that well 10 miles away. when it first escape,s it floats very high. higher than the nearby trees. Now suppose just one cloud of gas As it cools it decends and floats into the very top branches of the trees where the blackbirds roost. The very topmost roosting birds become gassed. they fall downward striking limbs and spooking the remainder. of course they fly upwards into the cloud of gas and they become gassed disoriented and become dizzy and crash into the ground. And since birds of a feather flock together that is why it was almost all blackbirds. And now at the very same time some of the escaping gas on the way up finds its way into a underground stream. Instead of continuing up to the surface it follows the stream. the stream carried the gas along until it bubbled up on the bottom of the Arkansas river killing the drum fish. mostly drum because they are bottom feeders. Its a plausible explanation. more plausible than fireworks. you state the rig near your house was capped. What would happen if it wasn't capped? Fractures in the earth aren't capped. fracking is exactly what the name implies. Its fracturing the bedrock to let gas escape. Hopefully it will escape to the drilled well. However that isn't always the case. Many times the gas will take another path. There are places in Texas where the fracking caused gas to excape into the water aquifer. They turn on the faucet and can light it on fire. maybe sometime in the future you will have the same problems?
Gas Land

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10324 Nov 21, 2013
Gas Land

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10325 Nov 21, 2013
Gas Land

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#10326 Nov 21, 2013
Dave Miller wrote:
You guys need to have them birds tested and don't leave it all to the government .
It was caused by gas from nearby fracking & natural gas drilling
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10327 Nov 21, 2013
<quoted text>
I had a feral cat run out in front of me today. At first I thought it was a raccoon, so my normal instinct was to slam on my brakes. I missed it, but it's just a matter of time, and someone will run it over. With winter coming, I'm sure it will hang out by the road trying to get mice or juncos.
It's libs like you who get people killed. Slamming on your breaks can cause a bad chain reaction for those behind you over nothing but an animal.

I just returned from a deer hunt where we took 3 mule deer, 3 turkey and 7 coyotes all in 5 days. I call that successful.
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10328 Nov 21, 2013
Gas Land wrote:
<quoted text>It was caused by gas from nearby fracking & natural gas drilling
http://youtu.be/K7XgoekcrBw
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10329 Nov 21, 2013
^^^"Just like fishing with dynamite"! It needs to be put in check that furkin fracking! I wish these basturds cared about people instead of profit and killing?
stop-em

Little Rock, AR

#10330 Nov 21, 2013
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#10331 Nov 21, 2013
stop-em wrote:
^^^"Just like fishing with dynamite"! It needs to be put in check that furkin fracking! I wish these basturds cared about people instead of profit and killing?
LMAO! If people were not buying it there would be no profit. You libs are all the same..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matthew ford 3 hr xfriend 3
Jacob Powell 4 hr Another guest 6
Anyone know about.... 4 hr John 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Mountain Home, AR (Aug '10) 15 hr John 71
Ronnie Enloe 17 hr John 2
Billy Snyder Fri Bill brower73 2
Starting a 1% MC Club in Mtn home. Who's intere... (Nov '11) Fri ktblu 148
More from around the web

Mountain Home People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE