More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 Read more: news.yahoo.com 10,174

BEEBE, Ark. Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Read more

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#9435 Jul 13, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
Raptor your long winded post has nothing to do with gods wiil. Idont hate anyone seeing thet I am successful with my talents and gifts the make me a hunter trapper and killer of varmits. In fact if god was worried about my actions he wouldnt have allowed me to be so successful. And just how am I expexted to prevent my half acre of roasting ears from being ruined by raccoons. How can a watermelon farmer prevent 40 xcres fron being ruined by coyotes. how can you prevent trees from being bamaged by beaver. And Deer tear up fences eat gardens shrubs and spread disease. varmits and predators are out of controlin many places because of mamby pambys like you. Those racoons carry rabies and distemper. wait until they start denning up in your attic and you get sick from their accumulated feces. I know Ill never change the way you think & feel. you should know by now you cant prevent me fron doing what i deen necessairy to prevent animal predation mitigate loss damage. However its a lot of fun yanking your chain. Are you having fun yet. You can bet I am.
God doesn't believe people should lie, cheat or steal either, but he doesn't stop people from doing it. It's up to the individual to know right from wrong and live their life the way he wants us to. If not, we face him in the end and account for our actions at that time. Thank God, he knows how I treated his creatures during my time on earth and I have nothing to explain or account for.

Protecting your life and even your food is one thing. But to kill indiscriminately, even non-target species, that were not a threat, and may never have been a threat to you or your livelihood is just plain wrong.

It sounds like you don't want nothing on the planet but humans, and maybe a few birds and bunnies as long as they're in the right places that you approve of.

So SOME raccoons carry rabies; so what. All living things carry diseases, even humans. Do we kill them? NO! Even if you insist on killing raccoons because they carry rabies, maybe you should make sure the ones you kill actually DO have rabies first. It's an easy disease to diagnose. Google it. The symptoms are very apparent and cannot be easily mistaken.

And you too should know by now that I will always counter your arguments with logic and fact, and not hearsay and old wives tales. I too enjoy yanking your chain and I can't wait to send you my book....as soon as I get it completed and published.

SE Michigan

#9436 Jul 13, 2013
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's funny. Next week I am heading to Greer, Arizona to camp out for 10 days in the mountains and get a little trout fishing in. I have noticed an increase in eagles around here lately.
Sounds like a lot of fun...well the going to Arizona part anyway. The fishing sounds just a bit boring to me. I'd rather be birding. Until it's time for dinner, then the fish will sound good. Hopefully, it's all ready to eat by the time I'm back from my bird hike.

Yes, there are more eagles than ever in our life times. They have been removed from the endangered species list for a few years now. Unfortunately, some outdated 1940's law still exists that says we can't get closer than 1/8 of a mile to their nest. Not so good for photographing them. Not good for the rap sheet either if you're a bird watcher/photographer/hiker/dog walker, etc...who simply wants to walk a trail close to where a nest has been built.

SE Michigan

#9437 Jul 13, 2013
Curmudgeon wrote:
There was a woman and her female friend in a little convertable with the top down passing a truck pulling a cattle trailer being driven by yours truly.. just as they started around a large bull with the squirts let it go the passenger was covered with about 10 pounds of runny bull manure! I seen it happen from my rear view mirror. I was really laughing as they passed They where giving me the finger so Naturally I blew the air horn. The driver was startled by the noise and only had one hand(the other was busy giving me the bird) on the wheel and lost control. They went sideways and ran off the shoulder and luckly they gained control and sped away. I wonder if they soiled their underware? There where two birds flying in this narrative.
I was camping with the family a few years ago. My Mom took her dog outside and he did his business right in front of their motorhome at the campsite. She went to the compartment to get the shovel and pick it up when another camper happened to stop by and start talking to her. Wrapped up in conversation for a few minutes, she postponed the task at hand and didn't realize they were standing in the exact spot where the dog relieved himself. After the man walked away, she went to pick up the pile and noticed it was gone. She looked on the bottom of her shoes and it wasn't there. We had a good laugh that night, but I'll bet that guy didn't.

SE Michigan

#9438 Jul 13, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Sh@t hit the fan...sorry, I coulbn't help myself.
If you put it in a bag, go up on someone's porch, light the bag on fire and ring the doorbell, it's pretty comical watching the homeowner try to put out the fire with their foot. LMAO
fifty1fifty

Sherwood, AR

#9439 Jul 13, 2013
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put it in a bag, go up on someone's porch, light the bag on fire and ring the doorbell, it's pretty comical watching the homeowner try to put out the fire with their foot. LMAO
You left out the best part though as you smear "it" on the door knob too. That's when the going gets good!(:

SE Michigan

#9440 Jul 14, 2013
fifty1fifty wrote:
<quoted text>You left out the best part though as you smear "it" on the door knob too. That's when the going gets good!(:
I also left out another important part:
After you ring the doorbell....run like hell!

SE Michigan

#9441 Jul 14, 2013
The neighborhood kids used to get together at night and pick out someone in the neighborhood that wasn't liked much and at 2:00 in the morning we'd go there armed with toilet paper and string it all over their yard. By morning it was all wet and hard to clean up. We had a good laugh one morning as the father came out in his underwear and chased us all down the street with a broom.
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#9444 Jul 14, 2013
The neighborhood kids used to get together at night and pick out someone in the neighborhood that wasn't liked much and at 2:00 in the morning we'd go there armed with toilet paper and string it all over their yard. By morning it was all wet and hard to clean up. We had a good laugh one morning as the father came out in his underwear and chased us all down the street with a broom.
Too bad you weren't eating Skittles and drinking Watermellon Tea! LOL!
fifty1fifty

Sherwood, AR

#9445 Jul 14, 2013
<quoted text>
I also left out another important part:
After you ring the doorbell....run like hell!
I was taught very quickly that if you "Nigerian Knock" no matter what do not go back to the same house twice in one night even after an hour. Homeowner coming out with a shotgun as you reach for the doorbell can make a m'fer run at Olympic speeds to keep from getting "birdshot in the ass" and when you here the blast be glad you prayed. I mentioned birds?
hound dog

Horseshoe Bend, AR

#9451 Jul 19, 2013
How many dead birds?

SE Michigan

#9460 Jul 24, 2013
I just might have to take a trip to New Mexico for this!!
http://news.yahoo.com/tropic-bird-goes-astray...

Since: Jul 13

Endicott, NY

#9461 Jul 24, 2013
More than 1000 birds dead at the same location? Birds and animals are an indicators of natural calamity. Hope nothing bad happens or it may even some secret missile(acid) test by govt. or some private biggie with the help of government. Anyway, it's bad only for us.

SE Michigan

#9462 Jul 24, 2013
lindamartin123 wrote:
More than 1000 birds dead at the same location? Birds and animals are an indicators of natural calamity. Hope nothing bad happens or it may even some secret missile(acid) test by govt. or some private biggie with the help of government. Anyway, it's bad only for us.
Since you're new to this thread, let me clarify what happened.

It was simply a matter of some dumbass who thought it would be real funny and cute to set of some fireworks at midnight on New Years Eve. It was near a large blackbird roost and it scared the wits out of those sleeping birds.

They burst into flight. In the mass confusion and because of the fact that blackbirds don't see well at night, they flew into things..... including homes and even the ground itself.

People just love doomsday scenarios, but that's not the case here.

Welcome to the thread.
mary

Mountain View, AR

#9463 Jul 24, 2013
well

“A penny for your thoughts”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#9467 Jul 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you care? You're in Texas.
What do you care? You're in Michigan.
Mary Lou

Jonesboro, AR

#9470 Jul 30, 2013
I feel we have too many dump things into our water. No man power to tested our water. With all of these cut back .
jhb

Columbus, OH

#9472 Aug 2, 2013
mary wrote:
well
hmmm

North Little Rock, AR

#9473 Aug 3, 2013
when ROSA OF CAVE CITY pulles down her panties
fifty1fifty

Little Rock, AR

#9474 Aug 3, 2013
When the product called water is coming out of a faucet and the fumes will burn because of multiple gasses...is something wrong there maybe? Clean natural gas will be the end to us all in Arkansas. I have a cousin dying now, they bored under his house on Tucker Mountain, too many lies told to the public about how safe fracking is. 900 unnamed chemicals injected into the Earth to crack the foundation of our life. Kill us and the birds, less cost of entitlements in this world of ignorant.): If karma ever gets Halliburton/Mosanto cornered maybe the Earth would replenish itself? I'm starting to believe FTW too?
scared

Medina, OH

#9475 Aug 4, 2013
MOSES-1 wrote:
These gases if that is the case, maybe confined to a certain level upwards can move horizontal.
(CNN)-- The Arkansas Geological Survey is trying to unravel a mystery: What is causing earthquakes in the town of Guy, Arkansas?
Since September 20, the community of 549 residents north of Little Rock has experienced an almost constant shaking from 487 measurable earthquakes.
"We've had 15 today including a 3.1 (magnitude) from this morning," Scott Ausbrooks, geohazards supervisor for the Geological Survey, said Monday. "These are shallow quakes between two and eight kilometers (between one-and-a-quarter and five miles) below the surface.
http://www.wibw.com/mobi...
very scary

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacob Powell 1 hr fakyew 2
roy lee hogand 10 hr John 7
News Palmere sent to prison for 13-year term (Mar '14) 17 hr John 50
baxter county hospital shame on you and your staff Sun Chawna Bone palmere 6
Just wondering Sun Just a girl 1
James.. Biker guy in red at the royal last nigh... Sun Curious 1
rachael davidson Sun fakyew 1
More from around the web

Mountain Home People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE