More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

Jan 2, 2011 | Posted by: Inisa Love | Full story: news.yahoo.com

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Comments (Page 430)

Showing posts 8,581 - 8,600 of9,710
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I also have the swallows that build nests on the front and back porches. The wife hates the mess they create but I think they are neat!
Every spring I open the barn window so Barn Swallows can fly inside and nest in it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it again. Then he shuts it. Then I open it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it.
I still have never had Barn Swallows nest here.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you get to feeling better soon..
Thank you. I'm feeling a little better at the moment. I've been taking pain reliever/fever reducing pills and they help. When they wear off, the fever shoots sback up and I get severe chills. I took today off. I have Amoxicillin my doctor presribed to me last time I was sick, but didn't take. It is used for strep, so I just might take them.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not about the predators not being able to find the feeders. It's about not letting the seed and bird droppings pile up under the feeder getting moldy and spreading disease.
By a rake!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

<quoted text>
Every spring I open the barn window so Barn Swallows can fly inside and nest in it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it again. Then he shuts it. Then I open it. Then he shuts it. Then I open it.
I still have never had Barn Swallows nest here.
My better half is always trying to knock their nests down in the early stages of building. They sure are a persistent little bird. I like how they eat the mosquitos and other insects!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>By a rake!
Clean bird droppings with a rake??? Too funny.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

<quoted text>
Clean bird droppings with a rake??? Too funny.
I have 4 parrots in my garage right now through winter. I thought you knew something about birds. Interesting!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>My better half is always trying to knock their nests down in the early stages of building. They sure are a persistent little bird. I like how they eat the mosquitos and other insects!
Of course they are persistant. They flew thousands of miles to get here for the simple act of reproducing! And their time to build a nest and raise possibly two broods is limited. They are great to have around because they eat tons of insects. Not to mention they are entertaining. Flies of all types make up the majority of the Barn Swallow’s diet, along with beetles, bees, wasps, ants, butterflies, moths, and other flying insects. Nest building is time-consuming and hard work. Imagine trying to build your home using only your mouth, your feet and your belly!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I have 4 parrots in my garage right now through winter. I thought you knew something about birds. Interesting!
I know nothing about pet birds other than I am against keeping birds in a cage. They are meant to be free.

I have tried the rake thing to do clean-up. I find a shovel works better.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

<quoted text>
I know nothing about pet birds other than I am against keeping birds in a cage. They are meant to be free.
I have tried the rake thing to do clean-up. I find a shovel works better.
These birds will live to be 70-100 years old. None of your wild birds will even come cloe to that.. Have a good day, I am off to find arrow heads and hunt coyotes!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>These birds will live to be 70-100 years old. None of your wild birds will even come cloe to that.. Have a good day, I am off to find arrow heads and hunt coyotes!
Have fun!

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>These birds will live to be 70-100 years old. None of your wild birds will even come cloe to that.. Have a good day, I am off to find arrow heads and hunt coyotes!
Better to live free and die, than to be a prisoner.
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Today is a dismal day in the ozarks. It was sleeting a little & it,s cloudy damp & cold. Im going to the sheep & goat acution at Koskonogg Missouri tomorrow. Im gonna sell a uneeded billy goat & maybe buy a feeder pig. Its supposed to get down into the twenties tonite & ill have to leave early in the morning. Anyway the wind chill in the stock trailer would be pretty bad. So I built a tight plywood box inside the trailer so as to keep ole billy from gettin too chilly. my wife said I could of just et him ride in the truck cab with me. If I did that we would both freeze. becuause as bad as billy stinks I would have to drive with all of the windows open.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Judged:

Churmudgeon wrote:
Today is a dismal day in the ozarks. It was sleeting a little & it,s cloudy damp & cold. Im going to the sheep & goat acution at Koskonogg Missouri tomorrow. Im gonna sell a uneeded billy goat & maybe buy a feeder pig. Its supposed to get down into the twenties tonite & ill have to leave early in the morning. Anyway the wind chill in the stock trailer would be pretty bad. So I built a tight plywood box inside the trailer so as to keep ole billy from gettin too chilly. my wife said I could of just et him ride in the truck cab with me. If I did that we would both freeze. becuause as bad as billy stinks I would have to drive with all of the windows open.
Maybe he'd enjoy a bath as much as my dogs like their baths. You both might be happier for it. Then he could lay on your lap all the way there keeping you warm, like my dogs do when we go for a ride up north.

Bixby, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

Dang
Churmudgeon

Horseshoe Bend, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 1, 2013

<quoted text>
Maybe he'd enjoy a bath as much as my dogs like their baths. You both might be happier for it. Then he could lay on your lap all the way there keeping you warm, like my dogs do when we go for a ride up north.
I heard a story about a guy that had a stinky billy in a stock rack on his PK. he went to the car wash and gave him a bath with the high pressure wand. I dont know if he waxed hin or not. Actually billy goats stink so bad because they urinate on their front legs and wiskers. The also can perform the same feat as the youn man from nantucket! I buy a billy to service our milk nanny,s then as soon as thats done I sell him. they are usually mean stinky and nasty.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

<quoted text>
Better to live free and die, than to be a prisoner.
Why do you keep your dogs in the house and locked up in the backyard?
If I was a bird I want a

Seymour, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

they didn't have a map

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I heard a story about a guy that had a stinky billy in a stock rack on his PK. he went to the car wash and gave him a bath with the high pressure wand. I dont know if he waxed hin or not. Actually billy goats stink so bad because they urinate on their front legs and wiskers. The also can perform the same feat as the youn man from nantucket! I buy a billy to service our milk nanny,s then as soon as thats done I sell him. they are usually mean stinky and nasty.
I'm sure you could train him to urinate properly. My BF showed our male black lab what to do years ago when he was a puppy.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Why do you keep your dogs in the house and locked up in the backyard?
Because there's no place they'd rather be than where I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 8,581 - 8,600 of9,710
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Mountain Home Forum right now

Search the Mountain Home Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
AR Did you vote today? (Jun '10) 7 min Speller feller 27,894
Pit Bull (Jul '13) 1 hr Lisa 52
dementia 8 hr MedGuy 2
amanda lansdown 10 hr John 11
Is EATON a good place to work? (Dec '08) 10 hr working fool 134
name the men! 13 hr John 14
mountain home economy growth (Sep '09) 19 hr Guy 22
•••
•••