More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10205 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6979 Sep 5, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I shoot them all the time. They sure are a challenge.
Now that's funny! Cannon or Nikon?

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#6980 Sep 5, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's funny! Cannon or Nikon?
Canon
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6981 Sep 5, 2012
Bubba and Leroy were at a Georgia football game when UGA, the bulldog mascot, proceeded to lick hisself. Leroy said, "I wish I could do that." Bubba said "Leroy, you know that dog would bite you."
Stolen from Lewis Grizzard

SE Michigan

#6982 Sep 5, 2012
I leave you with this. This is so sweet!! And the baby survives...
&fe ature=related
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6985 Sep 5, 2012
A blind man and his seeing-eye dog were waiting to cross a busy street. The dog waited til the sign said "Don't walk" and led the poor fellow into the street. Horns were honking, brakes screeching and drivers cussing, but by some miracle they made it across. The blind man reached in his pocket for a dog treat. Another man said "Mister, that dog almost got you killed and you're going to reward him!?!?!" The blind man said "I'm not rewarding him, I'm trying to find his mouth so I can kick his ass"!!!!!
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6986 Sep 5, 2012
harrycallihan wrote:
<quoted text>
inquiring minds want to know, who's your fat little buddy?
Your honor the guy in question on the day in question was not fat. He has grown into a man now and is considered robust by todays standards but not fat!
Old Army

Quitman, AR

#6987 Sep 5, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
We are getting a drought busting rain at the moment. It started out with moderate rain then esclated to Nickle sized Hail and 29 MPH winds. now its coming down in torrents. coming from the east 7 MPH wind. Our ducks & geese are out in it having a great time. the field is already flooded and the creek on the rise. I am thankful for the water. Ive been holding off selling some feeder calves. now that its rained the market should come up. Right defore the rain it was 100 degrees and a 107 degree heat index. It is now 77 degrees outside. We have one of those ACURITE weather stations with the wind guage and recorder out on a pole and the digital screen reciever in the house. I like it a lot.
The miracles of modern science! You can check the weather outside without even looking out the window. lol
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#6988 Sep 5, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
The miracles of modern science! You can check the weather outside without even looking out the window. lol
I have one of those little machines like Churms. I like it also, I just wish it would make it rain more! LOL!
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6989 Sep 6, 2012
<quoted text>
What gives you the right to judge the cat lady as looney? Do you know her personally, or do you come to that conclusion because she likes something different than you, or because someone told you she was looney? Just askin'.
Why do people act as though it's a crime to be childless? Some people cannot have them. I thank God he gave us pets to love. Some people love their children and their pets. That's a great thing to be able to love.
BTW, I don't kill mice either. I have no reason to. They are hawk and owl food.
Yes I know her personally. She gets a SSI crazy check and spends it all on cat food. Ive seen her in Wal Mart on Welfare check day with a cart full of nothing but cat food. I suppose she eats cat food also.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6990 Sep 6, 2012
<quoted text>
Not the dogs' fault. Go after the irresponsible owner.
Yea Right. You tell someone their dog is causing a problem. And what you get is an irate person who states not fido he would never kill livestock. and they threaten to woop your ass. Then If something happens to fido they shoot your cows or burn your barn ect. What you do is kill the offending animal. Then in the middle of the nite place it in the road and run over it a few times with your vehicle. The owner sees poor dead run over fido and dont spend timelooking for him. Maybe they will become responsible pet owners and keep the next fido on their own property. And yes it is the dogs fault, Its a bad dog that likes to kill livestock. Many breeds are geneticly developed to kill. They even kill humans.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6991 Sep 6, 2012
OZARK, Ark.(AP)- A 4-year-old boy in western Arkansas has been killed in a dog attack.

KFSM-TV reports that the boy was visiting his grandfather Friday in Ozark.

Police say the boy was playing with friends, when the dog, a Rottweiler, escaped from a chain link fence pen and attacked the boy.

No witnesses are believed to have seen the attack.

The boy was taken by helicopter toward a Little Rock hospital but had to be diverted to Johnson Regional Medical Center in Clarksville as his condition got worse. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

It wasn't immediately known if anyone would be charged. Police say the dog will be euthanized.------ Tell me again that it isnt the dogs fault .
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6992 Sep 6, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
My eldest son got it for me for a christmas gift. It records the temp high & lows wind speed , heat index, humidity, both insde and outside. and Most importantly it also tells the barometric pressure shows the moon phase and Future forecast. Ya gotta know those last things if you are planning on fishing.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6993 Sep 6, 2012
<quoted text>
"Who are they?"
Health professionals.
"I bet Churm would agree."
I'm sure he would. But remember he is the one who shoots feral cats because they are non-native predators that kill birds and rabbits. I'm with him in believing that non-native animals should not be allowed to run free to kill native wildlife. Dogs are no different. They should not be left to run free killing animals. Nor should they be held captive in a kennel for their lives.
When one brings a dog home, it becomes part of the family. I treat them as such even though I am the pack leader. They are very well behaved. They have all their shots. They are well groomed and yes, they are very well taken care of.
I'd bet Churm picked up potentially harmful bacteria and far more germs from a truck stop than what my dogs might be carrying. They all got a clean bill of health at their last vet visit. I would have no qualms sharing an ice cream cone with any of them :)- though I don't do that.
The answer to your question is no.
I may have picked up something from a truck stop. but I never got sick. I wash my hands and keep hand sanatizer in my pocket. Did you ever watch Jay Leno? He comes out and toes the touch the crowd hands thing. Then his hands go in his pockets and you see him rubbing them together. Im pretty shure he is using a hand sanatizer. I really never frequented truck stops. I always kept a cooler (12 volt) of food & drinking water with me. I have cooked thousands of meals on the trucks exaust manifold and small coleman camp stove. When I fueled up I wore my gloves and paid at the pump with a fuel card. We dont eat out. In not gonna eat food that I dont know how or where it was produced & cooked by some disgruntled minium wage employee.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#6994 Sep 6, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
People without kids tend to treat their dogs like children. I know this for a fact. We were there once. If you ever have children your dogs will take a back seat to them and you will understand what I mean!
Yes there is even a clinical term for the mental condition. Its called Empty Womb syndrome. When the folks who have kids the children are grown & gone Its called the Empty Nest syndrome. It can be anything a dog, cat, parrott ect. Its a futile attempt to fill a void in the persons life. I suppose its Ok as long as it doesnt get out of hand and adversly affect others.

SE Michigan

#6995 Sep 6, 2012
What a beautiful sight and song! They haven't even really left yet and already look forward to their return.
&fe ature=related

SE Michigan

#6996 Sep 6, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I know her personally. She gets a SSI crazy check and spends it all on cat food. Ive seen her in Wal Mart on Welfare check day with a cart full of nothing but cat food. I suppose she eats cat food also.
Funny, I have a little cat food in my cupboard and I don't even have any cats. It comes in handy when I have a baby bird that needs feeding, or cats that need catching.

SE Michigan

#6997 Sep 6, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> Yea Right. You tell someone their dog is causing a problem. And what you get is an irate person who states not fido he would never kill livestock. and they threaten to woop your ass. Then If something happens to fido they shoot your cows or burn your barn ect. What you do is kill the offending animal. Then in the middle of the nite place it in the road and run over it a few times with your vehicle. The owner sees poor dead run over fido and dont spend timelooking for him. Maybe they will become responsible pet owners and keep the next fido on their own property. And yes it is the dogs fault, Its a bad dog that likes to kill livestock. Many breeds are geneticly developed to kill. They even kill humans.
You are elevating dogs to the same level as humans to label them "good" or "bad." Dogs are neither guilty nor innocent. They just are.

SE Michigan

#6998 Sep 6, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
OZARK, Ark.(AP)- A 4-year-old boy in western Arkansas has been killed in a dog attack.
KFSM-TV reports that the boy was visiting his grandfather Friday in Ozark.
Police say the boy was playing with friends, when the dog, a Rottweiler, escaped from a chain link fence pen and attacked the boy.
No witnesses are believed to have seen the attack.
The boy was taken by helicopter toward a Little Rock hospital but had to be diverted to Johnson Regional Medical Center in Clarksville as his condition got worse. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.
It wasn't immediately known if anyone would be charged. Police say the dog will be euthanized.------ Tell me again that it isnt the dogs fault .
Owners fault.

SE Michigan

#6999 Sep 6, 2012
A 357 magnum kills a man in Little Rock after the owner of it fires several rounds through the mans chest.

The man is pronounced dead at the hospital.

The owner of the gun is not charged with a crime. The gun is consficated and melted.

It's the guns fault all this happened.

SE Michigan

#7000 Sep 6, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> My eldest son got it for me for a christmas gift. It records the temp high & lows wind speed , heat index, humidity, both insde and outside. and Most importantly it also tells the barometric pressure shows the moon phase and Future forecast. Ya gotta know those last things if you are planning on fishing.
Enjoy the fishing while you can. The fish are all dying. Haven't you noticed, every time a blackbird dies, a fish dies?

Saving blackbirds saves fish!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Home Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rebecca Flynn? Anyone? (May '17) Tue The REAL John Lon... 11
Katie Miller Jackson Tue The REAL John Lon... 2
weird lights! (May '08) Mon The REAL John Lon... 98
Why not? (Nov '07) Mon The REAL John Lon... 5
Does Arkansas People have a accents? (Nov '09) Mon The REAL John Lon... 22
2009 Arkansas Junior Bull Riders Association (Sep '08) Nov 20 The REAL John Lon... 2
mother in laws with big noses (Sep '08) Nov 20 The REAL John Lon... 6

Mountain Home Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mountain Home Mortgages