Tax Season/Welfare Recipients

Posted in the Mountain Grove Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
WorkinHard

Lawson, MO

#1 Jan 19, 2010
Curious as to why those receiving welfare get to use and keep the income tax returns they get for each child. Isn't it like 1,500 dollars a kid? Should that not be put back into the system?

I know that if someone owes back child support, any money coming back from the IRS is taken and put toward the money owed.

Since welfare is supporting these families, should the return not go back into that fund?

Think of the millions of recipients out there getting at LEAST 1,500 back.

What's your opinion? I could be wrong here and a reasonable explanation may make me feel different.
Not clear

El Dorado Springs, MO

#2 Jan 19, 2010
How does anyone recieving welfare even qualify to file taxes? Where did you get all your information from? Im thinking maybe you should find other sources of information.
keep on truckin

Hermitage, MO

#3 Jan 19, 2010
Here is a different point of view, have you not ever thought that the people on welfare that's getting this money may truely need it if not then they wouldn't be on welfare. And most of the time if you are just living off of the state and not having any income due to employment coming in you can not file taxes. That's just my point of view
just me

Greenfield, MO

#4 Jan 19, 2010
I have worked hard all my life and only received the child tax credit 1 time. That was the last year my youngest was at home. That being said I have children who do get to use the credit and 1 that doesn't. But they are not welfare bums. They work they just dont make alot.

I do know a couple people that draw welfare and get alot back at income tax time...thats the ONLY time of the year those people have an extra dime for anything. I think if our government can give billions away to already rich companies then it wont hurt them to give to our poorest here at home.

Just my 2 cents.

Now hit me with your best shot, because I know I am gona get it for my opinion.
ThePatriot

Branson, MO

#5 Jan 19, 2010
If someones only income is welfare, then they don't get a refund at all. They do not pay taxes either. If they do work in the same year that they get welfare, then they pay taxes on their income like anyone else. They could qualify for a refund, depending on their situation.

Earned income credit is not a set amount, but based off of your earned income. Here is a calculator:

http://www.dinkytown.net/java/EarnedIncomeCre...
keep on truckin

Hermitage, MO

#6 Jan 19, 2010
just me wrote:
I have worked hard all my life and only received the child tax credit 1 time. That was the last year my youngest was at home. That being said I have children who do get to use the credit and 1 that doesn't. But they are not welfare bums. They work they just dont make alot.
I do know a couple people that draw welfare and get alot back at income tax time...thats the ONLY time of the year those people have an extra dime for anything. I think if our government can give billions away to already rich companies then it wont hurt them to give to our poorest here at home.
Just my 2 cents.
Now hit me with your best shot, because I know I am gona get it for my opinion.
I agree with you 100%. We are sending billions across sea's to people who need, so why not let people who need the extra help over here be able to have a little extra once a year?
Sick of paying others way

Macon, GA

#7 Jan 19, 2010
Ok this is simple....if you work you pay taxes, therefore entitling you to a TAX refund. If you dont work, then you shouldnt be allowed to get a refund. If you get welfare then you dont need a tax refund you allready get money all year long. NOT FAIR WHEN I HAVE TO PAY 25 to 33% OF MY PAYCHECK TO TAXES!!!
Confused

El Dorado Springs, MO

#8 Jan 19, 2010
But if they don't work and the only income is welfare then they don't get a refund check. So how is there any big debate here?
ThePatriot

Branson, MO

#9 Jan 20, 2010
Confused wrote:
But if they don't work and the only income is welfare then they don't get a refund check. So how is there any big debate here?
Their isn't....people are confused and/or are venting for no reason.
just me

Greenfield, MO

#10 Jan 20, 2010
Confused wrote:
There are people that draw welfare and work. Like maybe work half a year then lose your job. Draw welfare the last half of the year. You are then entitled to income tax refunds.
yourjokingright

Columbia, MO

#11 Jan 20, 2010
WorkinHard wrote:
Curious as to why those receiving welfare get to use and keep the income tax returns they get for each child. Isn't it like 1,500 dollars a kid? Should that not be put back into the system?
I know that if someone owes back child support, any money coming back from the IRS is taken and put toward the money owed.
Since welfare is supporting these families, should the return not go back into that fund?
Think of the millions of recipients out there getting at LEAST 1,500 back.
What's your opinion? I could be wrong here and a reasonable explanation may make me feel different.
I bust my ass every day to take care of my son and daughter, why should the money that I'm paying in and getting back be put back into the system? Technically, it is, because I take my money that I get back and I spend it on rent, groceries, diapers, clothes for my child, gas to get to work, etc.

Some people suck.
just me

Greenfield, MO

#12 Jan 20, 2010
yourjokingright wrote:
<quoted text>
I bust my ass every day to take care of my son and daughter, why should the money that I'm paying in and getting back be put back into the system? Technically, it is, because I take my money that I get back and I spend it on rent, groceries, diapers, clothes for my child, gas to get to work, etc.
Some people suck.
Ok don't give it to our poor here at home. Give ALL your taxes to all the rich SOB's that Obama is giving billions to and maybe that will make you feel better. You are a joke if you would rather see those rich companies and CEO' s get it instead of here at home.
Out There

Cameron, MO

#13 Jan 20, 2010
Children having children so they can get in the system. Start there! Parents and grandparents having to raise those children,so the mother can grow up and party until this cycle happens to her or the father. Been going on for years, Frustrated ? Vent here! and be chastised for your feelings.
WorkinHard

Lawson, MO

#14 Jan 20, 2010
appreciate all the feedback..wasn't trying to be inflamatory, I am just trying to understand. I do know of one family where wife works parttime, husband works here and there, and I suspect under the table (they have two kids). for the past three years, they have bought a 3 used cars, camping gear, vacation to Texas (airfare and all) all upon receiving their $3,000+ from the IRS each year. Yes, it rubs me the wrong way, but I suspect they deserve the credit like anyone else.

Even if half of that amount went back into the system, since the system is doing most of the supporting of this family, i can't help but imagine it would help the deficit. Or perhaps if they showed proof in receipt form that these monies are going in to a college education fund, or to 6 months rent, or prepayment on utilities, then I think I would be more comfortable with the idea.

Keep on keeping on, folks...
ur buddy

Jacksboro, TX

#15 Jan 20, 2010
Sick of paying others way wrote:
Ok this is simple....if you work you pay taxes, therefore entitling you to a TAX refund. If you dont work, then you shouldnt be allowed to get a refund. If you get welfare then you dont need a tax refund you allready get money all year long. NOT FAIR WHEN I HAVE TO PAY 25 to 33% OF MY PAYCHECK TO TAXES!!!
hell yeah its simple if you dont pay taxes in theres no possable why you should recieve a refund. again simply put most (but not all) people on welfare in this town are just to f***ing lazy to either get out to find a job, KEEP a job, or even better yet what this town needs is someone to CREATE JOBS. just my oppion anybody agree disagree?
ur buddy

Jacksboro, TX

#16 Jan 20, 2010
i lose like $300 a week in taxes and i probably wont see musch of that back!! nuff said i just dont think its right let them starve, they will do one of two things die off or find some way to make money. i may seem like an ass but i work hard for my money and it pisses me off that we have mexicans stealing our money and sending it back to there country because our people "dont want it?"
again agree or disagree?
just me

Greenfield, MO

#17 Jan 20, 2010
ur buddy wrote:
i lose like $300 a week in taxes and i probably wont see musch of that back!! nuff said i just dont think its right let them starve, they will do one of two things die off or find some way to make money. i may seem like an ass but i work hard for my money and it pisses me off that we have mexicans stealing our money and sending it back to there country because our people "dont want it?"
again agree or disagree?
Agree on the Mexican thing but disagree with everything else.
I used to feel the same way as most of you..dont let people on welfare have anything. But I guess our new president has changed my mind. I would still rather see local welfare people get my tax dollars than all those companies and CEOs.
AGREED

Mount Vernon, MO

#18 Jan 20, 2010
WorkinHard wrote:
appreciate all the feedback..wasn't trying to be inflamatory, I am just trying to understand. I do know of one family where wife works parttime, husband works here and there, and I suspect under the table (they have two kids). for the past three years, they have bought a 3 used cars, camping gear, vacation to Texas (airfare and all) all upon receiving their $3,000+ from the IRS each year. Yes, it rubs me the wrong way, but I suspect they deserve the credit like anyone else.
Even if half of that amount went back into the system, since the system is doing most of the supporting of this family, i can't help but imagine it would help the deficit. Or perhaps if they showed proof in receipt form that these monies are going in to a college education fund, or to 6 months rent, or prepayment on utilities, then I think I would be more comfortable with the idea.
Keep on keeping on, folks...
I know some just like them..planning trips to other states and anyway they can just spend it all!! Not even planning on school clothes or coats..whatever..it's all about them. They say it's their money, ALTHOUGH I feels it's mine, since I pay taxes EVERY year!! The circumstances are the same...$300-$700 under the table every week and paying NO taxes!! YES some people do need it, I just hope they use it better!! At least spend it on the kids not their selfs!! I think maybe we know the same people!!LOL..Sad thing is probably not, and it goes on ALL OVER the USA!! No wonder we are in bad shape!!!
ME AGAIN

Mount Vernon, MO

#19 Jan 20, 2010
I must need to add that there are some that DO NEED IT!! But I get tired of these few that use the system ..don't get this wrong $7000.oo plus back!! Get food stamps, commadities, insurance?? At least that is for the 2 kids..So they feel the rest is for them!!$7000.00 plus!! I will always respect those that deserve it ..BUT!!! Just saying..
ur buddy

Jacksboro, TX

#20 Jan 20, 2010
just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree on the Mexican thing but disagree with everything else.
I used to feel the same way as most of you..dont let people on welfare have anything. But I guess our new president has changed my mind. I would still rather see local welfare people get my tax dollars than all those companies and CEOs.
i disagree i would rather ONLY those who pay in should have a shot at a refund. and ill tell you what a couple years ago i didnt work had food stamps the whole nine yards but i tell you what i did NOT have my hand out were it did not belong after that year i got on my feet and ive ALWAYS had at least ONE job in this town but usually TWO. there out there may not pay much but but at least your makin a livin showing your KIDS you should be out working to support your family not the living off the goverment. gotta think what these kids are learning, that what? everything is going to be handed out? no thats whats wrong now a days and nobody wants to work(general statment)and they try to find ways to live off the goverment or sue walmart or some type of insurance fraud it make me sick!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mountain Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hometown Buffet.... 9 hr Enough already 19
Stacy Curtner Tool Sat Susan 5
Elnora Weber Fri hahahaa 5
Poll Would you have sex with any female worker at Wa... (Mar '10) Fri Susan 10
Good or bad wife Apr 24 moveon 2
Volners at it again (Oct '10) Apr 23 glad to be gone 25
Tracy Smith (Aug '14) Apr 22 Susan 3
More from around the web

Mountain Grove People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE